Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/21

Good morning,

Today I did x-Train Burn Sets premix 12 (Chest & Back) 36 minutes.

Lori, I am on the fence about the iPhone. Most people I know have them, but I am not sure I would want to spend the money. I am used to having a phone that only lets me do e-mail ( work Blackberry) and have a phone. If I retire, I will need to turn that in and will have to make a decision on which phone to get. What plan do you use?

Valerie/Lynda, I started watching Episode 1 of The Roosevelt's, it's ok but history is not my favorite subject for relaxing. I will keep going to see if it sparks my interest.

Valerie, I thought you wanted a case that could sit on your lap, and the iPad would not move. This one could work like that I think, you would balance it on top of the case, using the logitec keyboard to stand it up. Lori's may work better. I never knew you could plug a phone into the iPad...? what does that do?

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

Lots of HouseMax to do...and it's kind of raining off and on so no excuses to not get to it!

Take care,

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did RK with 1 lb. gloves (55:16).

Deb, I am into FDR's first term and the New Deal. His struggle with polio was incredible.

Very summery here today--close to 80 degrees and sunny. I hope we get more of these kinds of days.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

we started out this morning and drove for about 70 miles before DH realized he'd left his wallet on the desk at home. an unpleasant drive home again. so a bike road ride today instead and leave with a fresh start tomorrow.

did burn sets bi's and tris, and core 1 yesterday. I did the other half of burn sets a couple days ago. I am getting kind of sloppy about reporting my exercise, but that's better than not doing the workout. I've been able to increase my weight back to previous levels.

Deb with a smart phone you can set up a "mobile hot spot". anywhere there's Interrnet service we can connect... you "tether" the phone to the ipad, the phone is the hot spot. it costs us $10/month extra on Verizon . that way I can check weather, traffic or just surf and do email while we're driving. I end up balancing a lot of devices! I put the phone in one of the cup holders, and balance the ipad on my lap. the keyboard is hard to use in this position so mostly use the touch screen. the ipad is so slippery ... and I often wear nylon pants... don't want it sliding off down the side of the seat etc where it could get scratched. and other times too, the magnetic keyboard clamps to it but it's slippery too. we should have bought one of the inexpensive cases that come with a keyboard but didn't realize it at the time. I need to go try best buy again maybe they were just low on choices when I looked.

Good evening ladies!

Today I did Cathe's Live Kickboxing and Barre. Absolutely love this workout. The barre portion is short but boy you feel it deep.

I also took chester for a long walk. He was naughty when we went for a swim. I took him to a place he loves but we do not vist often. Now I will never. As soon as he jumped in he swam quickly (like he had this planned) and went over to where the pond drains to go under the bridge/road. Well I can't get to it without jumping in. I could see him having a great time and just moving along. Fortunatley, the water was not high in certain sections and he was able to climb on rocks. After screaming his name MANY times he decided to come back. Thank goodness because I was contemplating going in after him. I was not happy at all but he was happy to see me and so I quickly forgave him.

Valerie...oh we have been there! Leave the house drive a ways they realize we forgot something really important! Well sounds like at least you were able to get a good ride then a workout. I was not thrilled with the selection of covers at bestbuy. Amazon should have what you are looking for. I will see if I can insert a link for you.

Lynda...woke up to rain but turned really nice. Very humid though.

Deb...I love anything apple. Pricey but I still love them. I am not one of those that upgrades when every a new phone or Ipad comes out. Don't know how people afford to do so. When I need wifi I also bump off my phone wirelessly. I do not have a wire connecting my Ipad to the phone. I think this is what Valerie means. I could be wrong and perhaps she does something different.

Himto Judy and Josie!

Yes, Lori, we can connect anywhere there's a signal, like when driving down the interstate or any other significant highway. the connection is a wire that goes phone to ipad. maybe there's a way to do it without a wire but we didn't get the fanciest ipad.
I don't use it all the time but when we need info, like an updated road or weather, it's great. email too. of course, if there's no internet signal, it does nothing. we travel enough that for $10 a month it's worth it for us. so in hotels or campgrounds we can connect and not fuss with the local connection, if it exists.

I think I'll find more simple covers by not specifying ipad in the search.... I don't want anything complex. thanks for any input. off again in the am.

Good morning,

Today I did Cardio Leg Blast premix 3 - 33 minutes. Only 217 calories burned. I felt like it should have been 300!

Lynda, we had a nice day yesterday, once the rain stopped. it was pretty windy though.

Valerie, Like Lori said, check out Amazon for that cover. that trip back because of the wallet is not funny, but sort of...we did the same thing, we were going on vacation, driving, don't even remember where we were going now, but got about only 20 miles down the road and I couldn't remember if I turned the coffee pot off. We went back and of course I had. One time I was in the airport at Philadelphia, and thought I left the iron on...called my cousin from a stall in the ladies room to have her go check. (of course it was not on). John would have never let me hear the end of it. ( in a funny way). At least yours was correct! Have a good trip!

Lori, that had to be really scary with Chester! Bad Boy! I have no idea how to "bump off our phone wirelessly"...oh well, maybe when I get my own phone I will need to do that.

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

Work, which will be crazy today. We are having our Grand Opening tomorrow, and Fred Smith will be there....you can imagine how everyone is scurrying around making sure everything is in tip top shape. :)

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did GG, the premix without the ball (55:40).

Deb, who is Fred Smith? Does your "grand opening" mean you will have a lot of visitors? I almost forgot my jewelry in Minnesota, but we were only in the garage. I hate when I just get a feeling I didn't check something before leaving.

Lori, that's great that you love all things Apple, since my DS works for them. He sells whole IT networks to corporations, though. Helped John Deere get all of their manuals online, e.g., so that farmers could find what's wrong with their various machines and send for parts. That's good news about the new iphone being so user friendly for Ipad users. Sly Chester knows how to get back in your good graces.

Went for my flu shot this morning.

Hi Everyone,

I'm back to working out at home today so I did a long Spinerval. I rode for 1 hr and 50 minutes and did 36 miles. Will probably do a Core Max segment tonight.

Deb-like Lori, I love everything Apple too. I don't think you can go wrong with an iPhone. Of all the mobile phones I've in the past 15 years, the iPhone is the only one that I have not had to take in for repair or had any issues with.

Valerie-that's too bad about the wallet. That would be pretty upsetting to get so far and have to turn around and go home.

Lori-I'm glad Chester came back, that must have been frightening for you.

Lynda-DH and I went to the Apple Store yesterday. We need to replace my Toshiba laptop soon and will be buying a MacBook. The store was packed because of the iPhone 6 coming out.

Hi to Josie,

Judy

Good evening ladies!

No workout today. I slept straight thru the night which is unsual for a Sunday. Monday is a good rest day for me.

Today was a great day at work. The conference is over and I do not have that stress hanging over my head. My CEO thanks me again and was very appreciative of the work I put into it. Nice that he did this.

Judy...great to be back working out at home and boy what a workout! I agree with you about Apple. Everything...phone and apps just work! Yes it was scary about Chester. He is a nut but we love him just as he is. I am envious with the Macbook. My next computer will be a Mac for sure.

Lynda...I forgot your son works at Apple. I have convince so many people to switch and all have been very pleased that they did. I'll be going for my flu shot soon too.

Deb/Valerie...I did not realize you could connect by wire to tether your phone to your Ipad. I have seen people do this with their computer not Ipad. I connect wirelessly thru the hotspot on the phone. Would drive me nuts if I had to connect with a wire.

Hi to Josie!

Good morning,

A rest day for me, late class last night, and I need to rest up for the crazy day today.

Lynda, Fred Smith is the founder and CEO of FedEx. He rarely makes an appearance at these things, but was going to be in Buffalo to do a business review of our company, so we scheduled the grand opening of our new office at the same time, hoping he would come. Lots of visitors, government officials. ( all of the politicos who hope to get their faces in the news), customers, etc.

Judy, glad you got your workout area back. How are things going?

Lori, Chester sounds like a big fun baby!

Speaking of iPads etc, did anyone else download the IOS 8 upgrade? What a mess! It has messed up my iPad horribly, and I am not sure what to do with it. I went on line and all the blogs of Apple users are going crazy. If you haven't done it yet DON"T!

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

This morning I did Cardio Supersets Express + step (47:20).

Deb, I have heard of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Jeff Bezos, but never heard of Fred Smith. Another corporate giant. Weird--I did do the upgrade and haven't had any problems at all. Hope your grand opening goes well!

Lori, it is always nice to be appreciated for doing a good job. Are you going to get the Apple watch as well?

Judy, I bet you are happy to have SIL away and your workout space plans can finally be executed. Is everything now settled with your FIL's estate?

A gorgeous fall day here, and the leaves are really starting to turn.

Good evening ladies,

Today I did 20 minutes of barre at lunch then Cardio Leg Blast tonight. I have been thinking about it since I read that Deb did it!

Deb...is that where you work? The building sounds incredible. How was the frenzy with Fred Smith? How is your ipad? That was one of the things I feard woth having the ipad 2. Not sure how it would handle IOS 8. I am happy I upgraded hearing all the problems. Chester is a big lovable goof. When the book Marley and Me came out I swear it was all about Chester. We really believe if anyone else own him he would have ended up in a shelter. Thank goodness for him we have patience.

Lynda...I most certainly will be getting the Apple Watch! They always say it is not good to buy the first generation but I always do. ;)

Hi to Judy, Josie and Valerie!

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did Core Max and Muscle Endurance. It was so nice to be able to workout at home again! I have really missed my Cathe workouts.
Things are slowly starting to get back to normal for DH and I. It's still so hard to believe that FIL is gone. DH is having a hard time adjusting to that and is still pretty emotional. The holidays will be difficult this year.

I think I'll be getting my flu shot this week.

Lynda-yes I think everything is settled with the estate. I'm glad SIL is back home, and I know her family is glad to have her back too.
It's starting to look like fall around here also. I have a feeling we will have an early winter.

Deb-that is a nice building! The Grand Opening sounds a little stressful.

Lori-I want to get an Apple Watch too. I can't wait to get the MacBook. My Toshiba keeps crashing and blue screening on me, today it was in the middle of my workout.

Hi to Valerie & Josie,

Judy

Good morning,

This morning I did x-train All Out HIIT, one of the shorter premixes. I was just happy to be able to get up and do that one.

Lynda, I love seeing the leaves changing, and you are in the best place for it. I just hate thinking of what comes next. Fred Smith is kind of a great story, how he started the FedEx company and he was the first to use the "hub & spoke" concept for moving packages. Of course we are inundated with all that kind of stuff all day long! :)

Lori, your iPad is ok after doing the upgrade? or did you not do it? I was on line with the Apple support chat folks, and she told me to do a hard reset, which I did. It worked for one day, then it started again. I did another hard reset, and it worked again, but I don't have much faith that it will stay. All of the techie blogs are screaming for Apple to put out a fix. LOL on Chester being Marley.

Judy, when they start "blue screening" and crashing, hurry and back up your hard drive and al your e-mails on an external drive or in a cloud of some sort. That was the most stressful thing when mine crashed for good. Hoping that they could recover the files and put them on my new computer. It cost me an extra $150. Glad you are getting back to normal and you have your workout area back. The holidays will be tough, I'm sure.

Hi to Josie and the vacationing Valerie,

Work, then home to crash.

Take care,

This morning I did Burn Sets bis and tris with Core 1 (47:40).

Deb, what a spectacular building, and solar energy, too. You are right about autumn color in the Berkshires, and I have a feeling it's going to be gorgeous this year because it's been so dry for awhile now. Love those sugar maples and the late golden glow of the oaks! On the other hand, we do get our share of leaf peepers and sometimes they stop traffic altogether.

Judy, we have been feeling the loss of DH's sister, because the anniversary of her accident was on 9/21. The holidays, too, are always laden with bittersweet memories of missed relatives. Last year her husband and children decided to just take off for the Bahamas, because, like most moms, she was the big organizer of Christmas. She had to have two trees because she couldn't resist buying ornaments. Not sure what they will do this year.

Lori, if Chester was like Marley, you must have the patience of a saint. That was one crazy dog.

Hi to Josie and Valerie!

Good evening ladies!

At lunch I did 30 minutes of barre. Was tough after doing cardio leg blast last night. No workout tonight. Feel like I have a bug or something. Just not feeling myself.

Deb...I ended up buying a new Ipad Air. That was what I meant by upgrading. I ended up getting $400 off with my old phone and ipad trade in. I pretty much got it at 50% off so I was happy. I have yet to upgrade my DH's ipad2 to the IOS8. Will let you know how this works out.

Lynda...hard to believe it has been a year already. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your DH. The first anniversary is so difficult. When the book Marley and Me came out several people told me it was about Chester! They all know the stories. After reading the book and seeing the movie he is Marley other than he was not afraid of the thunder.

Judy...I bet it felt great to workout at home. I am loving my gym that I have built in the basement. I told my son he can never have the basement back! Today at work there were a couple of very large beautiful framed mirrors from one of our restaurants that we recently remodeled. I asked if I could have them and I was told sure! I am very excited about them as they will look awesome in my gym. Mirrors are so expensive. Once I hang them and when cathe updates the forums I will post pictures.

Hi to Josie and Valerie!

Hi Ladies,

No workout for me today. My cleaning lady called in sick so I did house max. I will be going to body pump tomorrow and spinning on Friday. I signed up for Aids Life Cycle as a roadie which means that I will be working on camp. As roadies we are encouraged to raise funds but I don't have to collect $3,000 in order to ride. I will be sending requests soon :)

Garance, my DB died on September 10th 24 years ago and it still hurts very much. I miss him most during Christmas when I'm making his favorite cookies.

Deb, looks like you are back on track.

Judy, glad that you have your privacy again.

Lori, my dog Astro was a character and when he would get in trouble or try to run away he would only listen to me :). I guess he knew who the boss was.

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.