Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/7

Today I could not seem to get my heart rate up enough for a decent calorie burn. My calories were all around lower on all of the workouts that I did. Maybe my heart rate monitor needs a new battery. I am getting the feeling that those batteries start failing much faster than they should. I started with Ripped with Hiit Low Impact #2, 30 minutes, 168 calories. Heart rate avg. 111/max 136. I then did Ice Chiseled upper body going heavier on the weights (up to 15# on some moves) 42 minutes, 158 calories. I wanted to do arms so I did Ice Muscle Meltdown biceps, 15 minutes, 80 calories and Pyramid Upper Body Triceps only with the stretch, 13 minutes 47 calories. Total time was 1 hour 40 minutes and calories burned 453.
muscle meltdown biceps 12 reps 5 exercises 3 rounds
bicep curls 20's; 17.5's; 17.5's
standing hammer curls 20's; 20's; 20's
preacher curl 15's; 15's; 15's
incline hammer curls 15's; 15's; 15's
concentration curl 15; 17.5; 17.5
Pyramid triceps 12,10,8,10 12 reps
kickbacks 10's; 12's 15's
overhead extensions 15, 20, 25#
I am house cleaning today and just took a break and ran to the grocery store before all of the weekend shoppers were out. Poor Gertie, I called her this morning wondering why she wasn't doing her usual greeting. My husband let her out after I went to bed and forgot to let her back in. Not that is was bad for her, the evenings are comfortable and our porch is closed in on 3 sides. She was lying on the mat by the door when I opened it. I told my husband her tail was not wagging when she came in. I gave her some treats and fed her and she perked back up. She didn't want to go back out without me this morning. I guess she was afraid it would be another long wait to come back in :) I got my new Kelly Coffey Live Cardio workouts in the mail today. I will be doing those tomorrow and maybe the Muscle Melt Down back since I have not hit the back alone yet this week.

Judy, our HOA has so many rules. They just set up new guidelines that were to be more definitive, but when I read them over it left them with the power over whatever they thought was aesthetic enough to approve. They have to be contacted for a new air unit which is ridiculous to me. They gave neighbors a hard to who replaced the shake wood on the outside of their house with the exact same thing because they did not get approval. I wanted to hang some lanterns along the back eave of the house so I had light in the back and where the alcove is with the trash so I am not wandering around in the dark, but they say nothing hanging where it can be seen over the fence line. You have to get approval for landscaping and taking plants out. So far the butterbur has helped some with the coughing and I am not sneezing like I was. I think it takes a few days. I just took the two tablet dose they give on the bottle. Dr Axe recommended higher doses. I think it might make me feel a bit drowsy which is okay at night. No racing heart and uncomfortable feeling that I get from antihistamine and no dry mouth. I tend to get sleepy in the afternoons but I think a lot is due to lack of sleep at night so it is really pretty normal for me to get drowsy anyway. I have used them 3 days.

Lori, I have gone back to working out on carpet because I cannot get my puzzle mats to stay in one place. I have tried jamming them in, putting weights on them etc.. They move or bunch up. I hate that because they worked perfectly at my last two houses and I can pretty much cover the entire room with them and they are 7/8 inch thick. I have to be very careful with twisting moves on the carpet. I usually lift the foot a bit and set it back down. It is a bit uncomfortable but I don't know what else to do. I have tried to search for a solution. It sounds like you got a great deal with a get away place to stay.

Deb, it could be that Gertie got some bug, but I am not wanting it back . I got some more chicken to cook up and make treats. I did find some decent jerky type treats at Sprouts from Castor and Pollux today but did not purchase them yet. Have you heard of " I and love and you " pet food? I was looking at it in Sprouts and bought a can of the wet dog food to try. They have healthier sounding dog treats and they do sell raw dog foods as well. There are different dry formulas. All are grain free and gluten free no artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. Sprouts carries a variety of healthier dog foods. The dry foods look like they have chickpeas and lentils in them. I wonder how they are as far as digestion. Also there is a selection of treats.

Valerie, the blackberries sound rather dangerous if you run into them hanging down like that when riding. I tried planting some once but they never did anything for me. The next owners probably got the blackberries. They grew along the sides of the road in England. We would ride bikes out and pick them.

Lynda, the naked ladies will come back next year. I have never had a problem with bulbs returning each year here in Oklahoma. I enjoy the gymnastics the most. That is what my husband and I watch when we turn it on. Sometimes swimming can be interesting, but I am like you if you are not seeing something besides just someone swimming to the end first it is not. I like something like the synchronized swimming and stuff like that though.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did Hard Strikes with the heavy bag bonus (3 tabatas) & the relaxation stretch from SB's new dvd. I liked the conditioning portion and the heavy bag tabatas but I didn't really care for the boxing portion that much. I like Rock'm Sock'm and the 4 DS kickboxing workout better.

Deb-we have a bike rack but the closest path I could drive to would take 45 minutes to get there, maybe longer since there is construction going on all over metro Detroit and traffic is even worse than usual this summer. We've tried going on weekends and found the paths to be so crowded that it wasn't fun to ride. We will definitely be looking for some place closer to a nice bike/recreation path.

Valerie-that's the problem with the state parks here, they get so crazy busy on the weekends that it's just not fun to go there. There are some nicer paths that might not be so crowded but they are even further away.

Lynda-the past two days have been so hot and humid here. The heat index was over 100 and we had air quality alerts all week. We had rain this evening and now I think the temperature will be dropping to more normal levels.

Diane Sue-Our HOA has so many rules too. The board makes decisions without input from the residents. It seems like some of them are on a power trip and really like having so much control over what other people can or can't do.
Thanks for the info on the butterbur. I might pick some up this weekend.
I didn't get the new KCM dvd today like I thought I would. It will probably be here by Monday.

Lori-I liked the upper & lower body stretches. I am not limber enough to do the lower body stretches the way SB does them, but I still got some good stretches, just going as far as I could. I previewed the barre power stretch and advanced active stretch and decided to wait on those. They look pretty challenging and my legs are still sore from this week's workouts. I might try one on Sunday. The relaxation stretch was good for me today :)

Hi to Josie & Caitlin!

Judy

Judy, I think I pull out Rock out Knock out more than Hard Strikes. I am hoping to get Rock 'm Sock 'm this month with Birthday funds. 4 Day Split kickbox always seems so short. Do you like any of the STS mma workouts? I keep thinking that I need to go through them again. I remember not liking the one that had you jumping over tubing very much. I do like any of them that have heavy bag work on them.
Our last home that had a HOA was not like this. They have meetings and seem to encourage people to come and give thoughts and suggestions. I see a lot of complaints on their online neighborhood website though. The man next door had to repaint his house because he did not get their input on the color he chose which was sort of a rust brown color. They said it did not conform to the other home colors.

Diane Sue-I haven't done any of the STS mma workouts yet. I will have to try them. I haven't tried Rock out Knock out either, but I've heard that it's a good one.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Cardio Core Circuit. Another really good Live workout...:)

Valerie, whether they were javelinas or peccaries, they were pretty ugly and I would not want a herd of them chasing me! You climbed a tree?? That scene would have been film worthy! LOL :). We have that commercial tile stuff over the cement in the room in the basement...it is pretty tough to do cardio on etc. I have puzzle mats over the workout area. We did laminate down the stairs, I wish we would have had them continue all the way for the full basement.

Lynda, same weather here...it is so oppressive outside, you can hardly walk from a store to the car and still breathe. It hits 90 most days. I hear you on the DVD's....I just am enjoying the Live workouts so much, I don't even think about doing the DVD workouts. I think you have had the subscription a little longer than me right? I started mine in March.

Lori, great that your son and GF came there to visit too. Is the Brazilian the type where they walk around with meat skewers? We went to those in Mexico. So scary about that murder on that trail....we had one of those on a bike trial here...he did more than one rape/murder on the path over a 15 year period. He was actually named "The Bike Path Rapist"... They did eventually catch him....he was a regular family man, coached Little League baseball etc. So shocking to the community....the stuff that they write fiction novels about.

Diane Sue, great workouts! From the sound of them, length etc, I think you probably are correct and there is something wrong with your HRM. It seems like you should have recorded more calories burned. You will have to give us a review of the new KCM's. Poor Gertie! I can see why she would be a little miffed when you let her he...but of course treats will cure anything. :). Glad the butterbur seems to be working. Strange about those puzzle mats not staying in place. Never heard of those dog food names....who is the mfg?/seller? "I" "Love" and "You"....? mmmm....would like to look into.

Judy, good workouts...:). Out of all the Cathe kickbox I have tried, (has not been many). I like the one in 4DS the best too. Will you be looking at more houses this weekend? I don't think I would like living with a HOA...with what you and Diane Sue have said.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin,

Agility class this morning, then my friend is coming over for me to help with getting pictures off of her phone to a thumb drive. She has so many pictures she can't take any more with her phone and she is going to Disney with her grandchildren this coming week. She will need the phone for sure. :).

Take care,

We also live in a development with a HOA. it's been OK. You need approval for building any kind of outbuilding but never had any issues with house colors or anything. no one has ever painted anything day glo-orange or electric purple either. I actually wish the HOA was more aggressive about some issues. everyone is on 5 acres though, so it gets difficult to enforce some things. people aren't supposed to run businesses from home but with the internet, it's easy to run something and not need an actual store front. so as long as it's not obvious it slides by. the roads in our development aren't busy and I can ride or walk them comfortably...a couple big hills that are tough for a bike. a HOA can offer some protection from obnoxious thoughtless neighbors.... Our previous house, we had neighbors from hell. the HOA there was toothless and we sold and moved.

Did chiseled lower body yesterday, the non jack premix. I substituted at the end the therapy exercises and some pushups. It wasn't that hard but it was so hot yesterday I didn't want "real hard". the music on this one was not overly loud. I didn't especially like it...I don't hear much I like lately... but it didn't overwhelm Cathe's voice, and that's all I need.

Deb, the peccaries are not that big, and neither was the tree. we were probably 6 feet off the ground so were able to look closely at the pigs from our 'perch".

Judy, we buy an annual pass and use parks often spring, fall and winter. requiring a paid-for pass diminishes some of the crowds. July and august are by FAR my least favorite time of year. parks are obnoxious and busy. even in the off season, weekends are worse. Our tactic is early in the day, and weekdays. unfortunate everything is such a drive. smart to look for a new home with that in mind.

I've done rock'em sock'm and it was OK. I have Hard Strikes... but never did it. not sure if I have rock out, knock out. My shoulder is fine now and has been for quite a while. I'm going back doing some of the things I skipped when I was worried about hurting it further.

Deb blackberries ARE dangerous. they grow so fast and long, and start hanging over trails..you can get snagged on one easily. can easily rip clothing. I carry a hand pruner in my bike pack and whack them off when they get close.

Last edited:
I just finished Kelly Coffey Live Amped Up Cardio, 56 minutes, 357 calorie. I think it was more than tat. I wore the same monitor that I had yesterday and there were times that I was sweating and breathing hard and it showed 107?? I wore my 1# weighted gloves. I do not wear gloves all of the time because I injured my shoulder once and had tennis elbow and I think it was from doing so much punching with the gloves. Kelly and the rest onstage wore some sort of gloves. I wanted to check the heart rate because by my perceived exertion I felt I was off by about a count of 10bpm. I got out the Bluetooth and I was correct. I then went back and did the Drills only mix from the same workout, 21:48 minutes including the warm up ad stretch,133 calories. The drills are a more intense set of things like frog jumps 10 reps followed by a plank for all but one wit different variations like hop in 2 times and step out and plank jacks. I really enjoyed the workouts. There is a lot of variety, a modifier, and even a few old school floor moves added. I then did Ice Muscle Meltdown Back, 21 minutes, 102 calories and finished off with Kelly's Athletic conditioning stretch, 26 minutes, 62 calories. Workout without stretch was 99 minutes, 592 calories. Not bad considering allergies and headache I woke up with this morning.

Deb, I will find you the link for that pet food. It gives their history etc.. Yes, as I stated, the HR monitor has slowed down. It will be interesting when I get my FitBit Blaze for my birthday the end of the month seeing how it registers. I can also tell by my fitness pal entries if something is way off.

Valerie, we were interested in one home in a newer neighborhood till we found out the only way you could have a storage building or even shed it had to be brick like the house with the exact brick and roofing material. That was way too costly so we changed our minds. As picky as they are here I am surprised that they have not said anything about the neighbor and he weeds growing above the fence. I think he has his yard cleared out once a year or if he needs a utility company to come out and fix something that they would not be able to get to. spray round up on his stuff that comes through the fence.

Last edited:
Good afternoon!

We are home. :( as nice as it is to come home we could easily have stayed another week. It just flew by. No workout today as we left early to beat the traffic. I worked out everyday (other than the travel arrival day) so good with having a rest day today. Came home to my new KCM DVD. Will review later this evening. Will be a good workout with my battle ropes tomorrow. :). My 20lb bar came too and I'll have to say it feels heavier than a 20lb dumbbell. Weird. It is going to be great for me to use with my weighted vest.

Diane Sue...I have never had an issue with my tiles moving. I have the 2ft tiles and they measure out to 8x12 and they go right up aganst the wall. Perhaps this keeps them from moving. I can't wait to try out my new KCM. Thanks for your review. I would change out the batteries to see if this makes a difference with your HR monitor. Worth a shot.

Judy...I remember liking the first part of Hardstrikes and the Tabatas and that is it. I love all her live boxing though. Yes the 2 stretches I did were tough but I loved them. The barre strength is tough but very doable for me and hands down love it! I could do it every day and not get sick of it. Would love more stretches like this. I did need to modify the adv stretch a bit. She is just really flexible in this one. I liked one of the MMA workouts but not the other. For the life of me can't remember which one I liked. I used the heavy bag during most of it as I usually always do with her boxing workouts. Always gives it that extra "punch". :)

Deb...I love Live Cardio Core Circuit! You are exactly right with the skewers. Omg the meat just keeps coming! Plus they have a huge buffet of sides. Crazy amount of food consumed last night. The plan was to go out for breakfast this morning on our way out but we all agreed we did not need more food. So scarey about that Bike Path murderer. Glad they caught him. Hoping they catch whoever did this. Will be a while before I hike those trails anytime soon. I am converting the KCM's now to put on my Ipad to review later. Looks like she has a few premixes too which is always great. I only bought the live kickboxing one. Not sure if there were others for this presale.

Valerie...I have always had great luck with my neighbors. Can't imaging having horrible ones. Don't blame you for moving. Same thing with RockmSockm. I like the first half but my heart rate slows too much when we do the punching drills. Who knew the dangers of blackberries? Makes complete sense!

Hi to Josie and Caitlin!

Lori, a relaxing vacation like that makes it much harder to come home :) I will say I really liked Kelly's workout. I think the premixes will be good for warm ups with weight work since they are not long.
I forgot to list what the premixes were . The premixes for Amped Up Cardio is both combined, 1 without drills, 2 without drills, drills

Watching Mutiny on the Bounty. I do not think I have ever seen it. Mel Gibson looks so young.

Lori several kinds of blackberries, some very big and aggressive, others much less so. this time of year, the canes are reaching max size and they hang over tree branches and swing in the wind. Nasty!! I whack them back every year (in our yard ) but disposing of them is hard. you will rip up your legs if you stamp them down, and they spring back up. they stab thru gloves too. they are very hard to get rid of. even when they are dead and dried out, the thorns are worse than ever.
Sounds like a good vacation. a place you know and like with no surprises.

If you're nervous about walking in an area, get a can of bear spray. cost $30-40.. it will stop anything.... grizzlies included. it's like the Halt spray mail people carry, but sprays more volume and further. light weight, clips on a belt. we carry a can on hikes & mountain bikes in bear country. easy to use and will incapacitate any attacker without killing him.

Our previous house... the neighbors were horrendous. loud. obnoxious. multiple dogs coming into our yard and pooping constantly. their punk kids throwing beer cans into our yard. loud drunken parties. random gunshots. finally one of the kids hung himself( yep, died) in their garage. they knocked our mailbox & paper tube over constantly. their older son had an affair with the another neighbor 3x his age, and her husband left. their house looked nice, but 'nice" stopped there. anyway, we sold and moved before it got worse.

I did Metabolic Total Body this morning. I feel like I might have done a pre mix before, but did the whole thing this time. I liked it a lot. I lowered the weights on some moves by 2 lbs . will see if I get any sore spots. the music was OK, a few spots where it was a bit loud. it seems the first disks I tried were the ones with the volume issues, and others are less troublesome. I liked the warm up, cool down and stretch on this one. also no step or dance-y moves.

we're going on a short trip to visit family & help BIL with a building project. only a 2 days. will get a bike ride in near Portland. I'm going to take the Ice series with me and see if I can get SIL motivated. she REALLY needs exercise. maybe she can do these. with shorter options, it's not as intimidating as some of cathe's other stuff.

Diane sue, that is almost funny...who would build a brick storage shed?? Crazy!! you need a shed for lawnmower, other garden equipment. I know some HOA's have rules about no cars parked outside, but is bound to happen if the garage is full of mowers and snowblowers.

Valerie, I do not blame you for moving. Those sound like awful neighbors. Ours are all pretty quiet. Hopefully your SIL will like the workouts and continue. There were a couple of houses that actually had built brick storage buildings. Not many though. We have very little room in our garage with shelving up the walls and both vehicles crammed in it. I mentioned to my husband getting an above ground storm shelter and maybe the HOA could not refuse. There is no room to do a below ground in the back. They have to be so far from utilities and outside walls. I had one put in at one of our homes. They need plenty of room and to be able to get the trucks into the yard. I would imagine they would try to push putting it in the garage floor. No room to get in unless we moved our stuff out. We had a garage floor shelter at our last house, but a huge garage. I just thought it might work for some storage if we could get a big enough one without a fight. Right now there is a low plastic type of shed in the back that the previous owner put in. He should have put it on something because it is sort of sunk into the ground. I put the rakes and hoses etc.. in it. I had to put the sprays and that sort of thing for the yard in plastic crates because the top slides and it leaks. Our HOA does not allow people to park business vehicles in their driveways. If we have guests they cannot use the additional parking over night but they do not seem to say anything if I have a grandchild here a couple of nights. Some of these condos have practically no drive. I saw some neighbors have to park their pickup sideways to fit in their driveway.

Hi Everyone,

I took a rest day today.

Deb-We took a break from looking at houses today. We might go through some open houses tomorrow, but not sure. We'll be back out next weekend if not.

Diane Sue-your HOA sounds like ours. Parking has been a nightmare this year since they changed the rules. Residents and their guests used to be able to use the over flow parking spaces as needed. Since the condos only have a small driveway and a 1 car garage, I always parked my car in the space closest to our condo. Last year the board decided the residents shouldn't be using those spaces so now we always have to keep one of our cars in the garage and the other one in the driveway at all times. If we have guests they can use the parking area but we have to tell the board first, and give them the make, model & license plate number of their car, or they risk having their car towed.

Lori-I'm glad you had a good vacation! I received my KCM DVD today too. I might try it out tomorrow. Chris wanted to try something called Marshmallow Fluff. We looked and couldn't find any around here so I ordered some from Amazon. It's in a 16 ounce plastic container and is made in Lynn, Mass. Are you familiar with it?

Valerie- July & August are the busiest months on the paths here. I think we might try to get some weekend rides in later this fall. It might not be quite as busy then.

Hi to Lynda, Josie & Caitlin!

Judy

I remember something called marshmallow fluff, I think my mother made fudge with it.??? it was like in a jar, somewhat like destructured marshmallows. white, sticky, sort of icky stuff. worked in the recipe she used it in but not a basic food group.

I guess for security you would need rules but I would not be a good follower. IMO it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. If I needed a structure for my lawn equipment, I'd put what I needed in place where else would you put mowers, tillers, snowblowers , rakes, shovels, bags of fertilizer and manure, and on and on? if you have your cars in the garage, you need an outbuilding. not huge, but out of rain and snow. can't park a John Deere in the living room. would not ever sign an agreement that was that restrictive. out here, they are more worried about extra cars parked outside, but half the people I know can't EVER get their cars into their over stuffed garages. better an outbuilding, and cars in the garage.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back