Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/29

Back from a fast ride. DH had to go to a lunch meeting so time for 25 miles. a lovely morning cool and pleasant. did 2 rides in less than 24 hours, yesterdays ride finished around 4 PM. No fatigue, feeling energized.
Joan, some of us ( maybe most of us) function better when it's cooler. I'm always amazed when people do long, intense activity in hot temps, like a triathalon. 2 weeks ago when it was 95! it's seldom that warm here so "acclimated" isn't possible.

Cathy, that's a lot of steps. I use a pedometer in the winter for 10,000 a day. Do I even want to know what a plyo pushup is? Congrats on closing on your property. 2 yrs is a nice cushion of time, best not to be rushed into something and this is a good buyers market now.

Lynda, I have more 'likes" than most, but I focus on different areas than you. I'm outdoor rather than indoor.... gardening, xc skiing, snowshoeing, cycling both mt and road, hiking, birdwatching, backpacking, camping, and working out so I can enjoy. accomplished vegetarian cook. excellent from-scratch baker who can't afford the calories anymore. respectable outdoor photographer and wildlife watcher. active politically, read 2 papers a day, but I don't bring that politics to BBs. used to read fiction but interests changed to nonfiction. DH and I (together )do a wide range of building and home improvement projects. love crosswords and sudoku.
If I enjoyed poetry or fine arts I'd find time for it, but I don't. Been there, done that. enjoy mother nature most. We always say, "thank you for shopping malls, they keep the crowds out of the backcountry".... cause that's another thing I don't like ( add to list...) shopping.

Ok avocado ice cream coming up. .... people were making avocado smoothies too, and margaritas. said they were common fare in chile and the galapagos. and california.

--------------------------------------------------------
Everyone thought this was a bad idea-just couldn't imagine it. Let me tell ya'll, it is great. Creamy and delicious. All the folks who thought it sounded gross, are wolfing it down. Yes, I would make it again and again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Avocado Ice Cream

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 cups avocado puree (see Tip), from about 3 ripe large avocados
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup tequila
Lime zest for garnish

1.After making avocado puree, add water, sugar, lime juice and tequila to
the food processor with 1 1/2 cups of the puree; pulse until well
combined. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour or overnight.
2.Transfer the avocado mixture to the canister of an ice cream maker.
Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If desired, place the ice
cream in the freezer to firm up before serving. Garnish with lime zest, if
desired.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day in advance. Store ice
cream, airtight, in the freezer for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream
maker
Tip: To make avocado puree, peel and pit 3 ripe large avocados and process
in a food processor until smooth. Measure out 1 1/2 cups for the ice
cream. Reserve any extra for another use.

Per 1/2-cup serving: 224 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg
cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 225
mg potassium.

Source:
"EatingWell: March/April 2010"
Yield:
"4 cups"

Last edited:
go traildoggie!! i hate shopping. i dread even going grocery shopping. i am also an outside person. no bikes , but horses and grandkids.

at this particular moment , i would like to change the way i feel.[:-|]
i picked up some bug on monday and have been achy, sore, on the potty[:|] all afternoon. i think i picked something up on monday when i went to the funeral. cuz, my son got it really bad on tuesday nite, he was running at both ends. at least for me it is just one end. but, i am in PAIN. my precious g/daughter got it last nite, and now my dil who is very pregnant has it. hers is not as bad.
would ya'll please pray for a quik healing for my family.

i was 13 min. into maximum body shaping and had to quit. thought i was gonna die. and, i never stop in the middle of a workout, but my body was rebelling big time. so, hope i am better tomorrow.

Good evening,

It seems like they always take a show like DWTS or Biggest loser and decide the basic idea is too boring and have to change it. With DWTS I would like to see Warner because he was our quarterback when Rams were good, but nobody else that I have seen listed.

I can tell my dil must be watching Project Runway with Elliot. Although I am not to turn tv on even though we only watched Sesame Street and anything else on Public TV. I had my low step out today and Elliot says lets play runway. She wiggles her hips and walks on "runway" with hand on hip and then stops to get her photo taken. I wish I had my camera it was so funny. But in a way not funny. Between the tv and princess movies I'm afraid she is getting too grownup ideas.

Garance since you don't complain like me:D I don't know how your elbow is progressing. I hope you don't have any pain.

I did order all the new dvd's. I like the look of the set for STS but I thought the brick and the windows were the backdrop. And that the whole of the new set would be a Hawaii scene. I must have been the only one that thought that way.

Joan

Friday

Hi all,

Going for a Walk/jog with my cousin this morning once she drops her dogs off at the groomers at 8:00. I hope she doesn't crap out on me. Had a nice visit with my friend, she really needs some distraction from the nursing care she is providing, and I think it worked somewhat. Then went for hair/nails apt. Going for pedi this afternoon. I love being off.

Joan, I was thinking about you when I was at my friend's yesterday. Her biggest problem is getting her Mom in or out of the house. She cannot walk, uses a wheel chair in the house. It cost her $100 to have her taken anywhere, they send a van with 2 guys because it takes 2 people to get her out of the house. At least you are still able to go to lunch with your Mom etc.

Cathy, sounds like food poisoning to me.

Valerie, thanks for the recipe. it is interesting to see what the ingredients are, ( I'm sure there was no tequila in the ice cream shop version). Still think I will pass. Give me maple walnut or something traditional.

Garance, I will start using less of the Murad and see if that is it. The flowers I picked were Giant Zinnias! They are the only ones left in the garden. Except for the Rose of sharon, which does not make a good cut flower.

BB later,

Cathy, I agree with Deb, the thing I thought of immediately was food poisoning. It could still be a virus but that's awfully fast and a lot of people at the same event. was food or drink served or did you eat at at the same restaurant?? even if everyone eats the same thing not everyone will be affected but I'd call a few others if you can and see if they have "issues" that came up right after the event.

Re shopping; went on a trip with old friends to Breckenridge, CO. All they did was shop. a gorgeous mountain town, hiking trails, horse back riding, easy bicycle trails everywhere and couldn't get even ONE of them to do anything. they went thru every shop in the town and nobody even bought anything. I finally talked them into driving ( in a rental car) up to a mountain pass just outside of town and they were terrified and one wouldn't even get out of the car at the top. I've been on scary roads, this was nothing, a one lane gravel with turnouts, in forest big wide open, no scary drop offs, nothing. 4 days of shopping!! I enjoyed re-connecting because they're great friends but I could not believe they all went on vacation and wouldn't/ didn't do a thing. the only thing I won't do is golf (grass allergy) that's too much exposure.

Deb, we have a rose of sharon too, in fact 2. One of our favorite trees cause it's so compact and is covered with blossoms. Had a pink one and then got a white one. the pink one semi-blew over in the wind and rain a couple days ago so we staked it back up and think it's OK.
Re the avocado ice cream, it brought out many comments from others, such as avocado smoothies and of course the margarita. I'd sub coconut milk /milk for the tequila, don't want booze in ice cream. I didn't copy the whole thread...went on a while... but people were very positive. the lady who posted the recipe cooks a lot and I trust her judgement. jamocha almond fudge at B&R is my favorite. once a year.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Barefoot Cardio (48 min.). I think I will bring out my little dumbbells on Sunday and do the upper body P-57 and a bit of cardio. Dr. says to go ahead but take care--called him yesterday. I'm tempted to get Petra Kolber's beginner, intermediate weight DVD since I will feel foolish putting in Cathe and watching her lift 20s while I am lifting 5s.

Deb, what's left in my flower garden are the big zinnias (State Fair), nasturtiums, salvia, sweet potato vine, and I think it's called rudebeckia--tall perennial yellow flowers. Still so pretty! I have hanging plants, too, that are still flowering like crazy. Lots of veggies and I am pigging out on tomatoes. We also had a bumper crop of plums and I have been making chutneys, cobblers, and jam. Still plenty left over after giving away some and lots for the piggies.

Cathy--ugh! I hope it's just a 24-hour bug. If it's food poisoning, maybe something everyone ate after the funeral

Joan, my elbow is doing great. I am within centimeters of being able to touch my shoulder and I can do triceps extensions. If you want a Hawaii background, I think Gilad has this on a lot of his DVDs. I love Project Runway. Last night it was the dreaded bridesmaid dress challenge--you take one of those uglies and transform it into something wearable for the poor bridesmaid, and wearable elsewhere than a wedding. There were more failures than successes on this one. Not sure what I would do if I had little girls now. I had two little boys and the primary challenge with them was just keeping them physically active with every known sports camp available (lots of them during the summer from college coaches) to wear them out. Too much energy!

Any plans for the holiday, ladies? I'm going to a production of Richard 3 tonight and The Girl Who Played with Fire is also here, so another movie. DH is refereeing soccer almost all weekend, so I have to muster up my friends.

Hi to Valerie and Josie!

Lynda, be careful with the weight. do less than you think you can for the first run. Cathe can't see you...

I envy your tomatoes. we had had a wretched year for the garden. a few cherry tomatoes on my deck. otherwise, green. corn is half the usual size. cold wet june got everything set back. we have rudbeckia too and they're blooming like crazy. sunflowers too, but some got toppled by the wind and rain, along with half the minuscule corn crop.

Labor traffic here is awful, we stay home. may do a bike ride and a lunch with another couple monday, but rain is predicted. otherwise start getting ready for our vacation on the 11th. 2.5 weeks whoopee!
as usual, a bunch of family health problems came up . my sister's thyroid mass turned out benign as of yesterday, but don't know about FIL's kidney mass yet. Every year he has a health crisis during our vacation.. not his fault of course, but a weird coincidence.
Have a great weekend, everyone!

don't think it is food poison. don't think anyone else got it. but, my g/daughter did and she wasn't there, my son shared w/her.:)
i am feeling better today, have at least been able to get up and move a bit.
but it makes me crazy when i can't do my w/out!!!

Saturday

Good morning,

HouseMax and Agility class today. Then a christening tomorrow. Nothing else planned for the next few days. I love being here with no plans or committments.

Valerie, I am right there with you on the shopping thing. I shop when I need something, and first I try my best to get whatever it is on line.

Garance, most of my garden has died back, due to heat and me not being very vigilant in watering this year for some reason. We only have flowers, no vegs.

Cathy, I hope you are all over whatever it was!

Later,

Right, I shop when I NEED something, mostly online. by the time I drive to the mall I've spent the shipping in gasoline costs, plus time. I really don't like shopping! the necessary household stuff is enough shopping for me. I can't believe it's the high point of anyone's vacation. +

Cathy hope you're feeling better, and that it was just a 24 hour bug.

I did GS legs yesterday, all, including floor exercises. took a couple short rests when the reps got too many, a little sore today. those floor exercises are killers.
will try to get in an upper body today along with garden work. end of the season for most vegies, and has not been a banner year.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.