Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/22

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Barefoot Cardio (48 min.).

Deb, I have 3 more semesters of teaching, one semester's paid leave, then 125% of my salary as severance pay, which I plan to split up over two years for tax reasons. Basically, I can do anything I want after another 1 1/2 years of teaching. I'm off to Jacob's Pillow tomorrow to see Hubbard Street dance troupe, then out to dinner with ds, dh, and mil and fil. I plan on spending some time with ds on Sunday and Monday before he heads back to California.

Valerie, sorry to hear about family problems. It's always hard if it's long distance. I had to move my mom during the last few years of her life because it was just too hard to watch over her when she was in Minnesota and I was in Massachusetts. She really enjoyed watching her grandsons and all the sports they played, though, so it was a great move for her. I am giving a lecture at a conference in Cambridge. The whole conference is dedicated to Ted Hughes, who would have been 80 years old this year. He died in 1998, not long after publishing Birthday Letters, a book of poems about his marriage to Sylvia Plath which caused quite an uproar because it seemed to be finally telling his side of a story in which he had always been perceived as a villain. She committed suicide in 1963 at the age of 30 and shortly after Hughes left her for another woman, who, incidentally, also committed suicide in 1969 when it became clear that he would never marry her. Unlike Plath, who carefully protected her son and daughter (a 2 1/2 year old daughter and year-old son) from the gas she killed herself with, the other woman also killed her daughter by Hughes. Hughes was England's poet laureate from 1984 until his death.

Cathy, hope you find a beautiful piece of land!

Hi to Josie and Joan!

Saturday

Good Morning!

Up early to take my car in for service at 7:30. Just the regular service plus it needs to be inspected. Then breakfast, then Keegan's agility class. Then house crap, a list waiting for me. Almost wonder why we look forward to the weekends so much. I guess it's because if I want to take a nap damn it, I can!

Valerie, sorry about your family problems, that is really tough. Let me know if you want any other worksheets. We have a guest room that I can use, but it is right across the hall from our bedroom and even with the doors closed, I could probalby still hear him snoring. I can hear him faintly from the living room which is right under our bedroom. Some nights he doesn't snore at all. We can't figure out what triggers it. What makes you move? Does your DH snore too?

Garance, have fun today, I hope the dancers are not as strange as last week!

Hi to Josie, Joan & Cathy

Take care,

Generally we're both reasonably quiet sleepers unless something unusual like colds, or allergies sxs. DH has always had nights "on call". sometimes it's quiet, other nights are constant phone calls, the conversation, and then both of us trying to go back to sleep. and then the phone rings again. I got in the habit of moving to the guest room most of those nights. for years now I pee in the middle of the night. once up, I have trouble going back to sleep and toss around a lot. I do actual 'mileage"!. I'm temperature sensitive and tend to get too warm. so some nights I use the guest room. most nights I sleep half the night in our room and then move after the bathroom run. so it's more practical than anything , no one is taking it as hostile move. I come back in "our" room in the morning unless I sleep longer since he gets up at 4. I can't sleep during the day, naps don't work.
thanks again for the worksheets. Gotta get going we're going for a bike ride.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.