Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 8/17

Good morning & Happy Friday!

So we had the AC people in, and they gave us a decent estimate for the new hot water thing, ( it's not a tank-less one, but something called a Boiler-mate that runs off the hot water pump of our furnace)...and the additional AC split for the kitchen, but they told us we need to upgrade our electrical service in order to put the new AC unit in. They gave us a name of an electrical company that could do the job. Unbelievable that they came for an estimate about an hour after John called them. But it was about double what the AC people said it should be so we didn't sign up for them to do it. Now we have to find another one to come and do an estimate. Ugh...I hate house stuff.

Judy, so sorry about FIL. It's good that he is in a place where they can be there 24/7 and Hospice is wonderful. Also that he is close to you and DH too.

Valerie, it sounds like a great trip.

Lori, that was a good workout day! Are Cathy Live workouts all around an hour? I did get one of the Retin-A products from Amazon, the Skinceuticals brand or ..something like that. It is 1% strength. I think I will start every other day or maybe even 3 times a week at first then see how it goes. The OTC ones never say "Retin-A" they say Retinol I wonder if that is the difference. So you still use it every day?

Hi to Josie, and the vacationing Lynda!

Work, then agility class,

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

My DH and I are going to Vegas for a few days. Wish me luck! I'm going to take my gym clothes just in case I feel like working out.

Deb, we need a new faucet according to the plumber. Lets see who is next. It seems that once one has a problem we all need some kind of repair around the house :)

Valerie, sounds like you had a nice vacation.

Garance, we just went out to dinner on my birthday, but will be celebrating some more in Vegas.

Hi to Judy and Lori!

Josie

Good evening ladies,

I ran 2 miles on the TM this morning and tonight when I got home I did 30 minutes of yoga. Going to try and incorporate yoga at least once a week.

Deb...the Retinal products actually can be pretty strong so ease into it. I used love skincueticals and pretty much used it exclusively. Loved the vitamin c serums. I changed over to Paula's Choice a few years ago because I loved what she was all about. Great products at reasonable prices. We have a tankless one. We just have a furnace and that is it. Water must just go thru it I guess as I have no clue!

Josie...have fun in Las Vegas! I have never been but have always wanted too!

Tomorrow it is hiking in the morning with DS and his girlfriend then off to a friends BBQ. Should be fun.

Hi to Judy, Valerie and Lynda!

Good morning and Happy Weekend!

No commitments, nothing that I HAVE to do. Love it!

Josie, have a great time and sending you Good Luck Vibes so you Win!

Lori, Have fun on your hike today, tank= less is actually that I guess, there is no tank that holds the water being constantly heated with a burner underneath... It is heated as it is needed. We have the same concept, however there is a tank, connected to our furnace, and the water does not sit in it always being heated, it is heated when it is "called for" I guess...who knows? LOL..

Agility class, and maybe a pedicure this afternoon, or a Nap...I can't decide, love the weekends!

Hi to Judy, Valerie, and Lynda,

Take care,

Back from a serious hike yesterday. about 8 miles RT, 3800 feet gain. it's a steep one, about 1000 feet per mile. I have no issues going up, but coming back down kills me. always has. something about the structure of my feet that no matter what, all manner of boots, socks, poles, they don't connect well and get extremely sore going down. I'm much slower down than up! a lovely hike, beautiful day and uncrowded compared to what we've seen lately. flowers were lovely, temps cool.. no bugs. still struggling with a couple bites from a week ago.
doing another hike next Friday with "new bicycle" cousin and his wife. picked an easy one because they've never hiked before and we want them to enjoy it and continue to hike, not be so sore they never want to go again. Seems we're doing a lot of this lately!

Lynda, you were right, "Boyhood" did get stellar reviews but I've learned not to blindly trust the local reviewers....

I read reviews of a documentary about a project that paired people suffering from dementia with ipods programmed with specific music they enjoyed while they were young. it said you could see immediate pleasure and that the people "came alive" right before their eyes. Judy, you would not have to see the documentary but if you have an ipod and any idea of what your FIL listened to in his youth maybe you could give it a try? It might perk him up and give him pleasure if you can guess what he liked.
I'll edit in the name & a review... I thought of you immediately.

We got our new driveway gate yesterday and love it. it's black chain link with angled corners so it looks quite nice but way less $$ than wrought iron. a small security measure to combat petty crime going on lately.

Alive Inside’ shows the power of music on memory

A movie review of “Alive Inside,” a documentary about a remarkable program aimed at helping the elderly and infirm regain connection with their memories. It received 3.5 stars out of 4

Movie Review ★★★½  

‘Alive Inside,’ a documentary directed by Michael Rossato-Bennett. 78 minutes. Not rated; for mature audiences. Varsity.

An elderly man, sitting in a wheelchair with his head slumped over, suddenly comes to life when he hears music from his youth through headphones; it’s as if his entire being wakes up. Afterward, this man who seemed barely able to communicate talks animatedly about what he heard. “It gives me,” he says, in words that stumble yet come out clearly, “the feeling of love.”

“Alive Inside,” a documentary about a remarkable program aimed at helping the elderly and infirm regain connection with their memories, is full of such moments; Music here seems to have a miraculous power to lift up, to awaken, to reinvigorate. (The philosopher Kant, we’re told in the film, called music “the quickening art”; it does, indeed.) Social worker Dan Cohen discovered, years ago, that giving iPods with personally programmed music to nursing-home residents helped them feel more alert and happier. “Music connects people with who they have been, and who they are,” he says in the film. Filmmaker Michael Rossato-Bennett, filming Cohen for what was to have been just one day, became entranced with Cohen’s work (and his nonprofit organization Music & Memory), and spent three years making this film.

It was time well spent: “Alive Inside” won the best documentary award at the Sundance Film Festival this year (and was voted best documentary at the Seattle International Film Festival by the SIFF pass-holder group), and excerpts from it have already gone viral on YouTube, helping Cohen raise funds and expand his program. Physicians speak to the camera about its promise (medication, says one, dims a person’s sparkle and light; music brings it out), but the listeners themselves are the most eloquent. A woman struggling with Alzheimer’s joyfully listens to the Beach Boys and Beatles, transforming before our eyes. “It can’t get away from me,” she says, surely referring to her sense of self, “if I’m in this place.”
---------------------------------------------------
I know from experience it's not for everyone...my father hated music and considered it all "noise" but I thought it might be easy for you to do and give FIL some pleasure if you have even a clue to what he'd once listened to.

Josie, have fun in Vegas. hope you win some $$$.

Deb, opt for the pedi and a nap.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.