Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/24

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Agility class yesterday....boy was it hot. I'm glad I bought the crate fan for the dogs just for that purpose. Keegan really liked it.

Valerie, I think my 2015 Forester has that seat adjustment....I hear you on having to readjust when someone else drives the car.

Diane Sue, have fun this weekend!

Wow, everyone must be having a great weekend, busy etc....

A Phat workout on the schedule for today...and HouseMax.....woot!! :)

Take care,

Good morning ladies!

I am sitting on my outside patio with my cats and it is such a beautiful morning. Our cats are indoor cats but when we are out in the patio they get special privileges to be with us as long as they stay put. And somehow they know they will have to go in if they wander!

I ended up working upper body only yesterday. My legs were tired from the day before. I did 2 Jessica Smith high rep workouts and my arms were well worked. Wanted to try these out for the lunch ladies. (We have taken a break due to so many vacations).They were harder than I thought they would be and no way would the ladies like them so glad I tried them out. The first one was from a dvd I have had for a while. 10 pounds down and it was the 20 minute upper. The second was a 12 min arm workout from youtube. 2nd starts off with no weights but I used weights the entire time. These were my only workouts as we were doing some yard work later. Burnt 250 caloeies and thought that was great for just over a 30 minute upper body workout! Today will be the most recent Live leg workout.

Deb...it was so hot here yesterday. Can't imagine doing an agility class. Bet your doggie was happy you remembered the fan! :). You do not need to pay for postage. You made chester a nice doggie toy so we will be even. I thought you did the most recent giant set. I have done the compound one and love it! Can't remember if I liked that cardio circuit , I'll take a peek at it.

Diane Sue...yes enjoy your get away and yes you do deserve a day off from working out!!! Have fun.

Valerie...so glad the shampoo is working. When Bob was breaking out it was his face and back. Nothing on his scalp. I know weird. This is all he will use now. I'll check at walmart in the baby section to see if it is there otherwise we will continue to order from amazon. How is the elbow?

We never went out to eat last night. After we did our yard work we got in the pool and did not want to leave so we cancelled the reservations and grilled some steaks. We ended up buying a month a go a 15 foot soft sided pool with filter and ladder. It comes up to above my waist and is wonderful! We are such nuts. We love it. We have rafts so we can float around and just chill. We are like grandparents with no grandchildren! We put tiki lights all around so we can enjoy at night. My husband's and brother's bdays are next weekend so we are having a few people over and we told them to bring their bathing suits! Knowing our friends they all will be in with us having a ball. :)

Have a great day all!

Lori, I did the most recent Live..."Total Body Giant Sets" this morning....wow....if you are looking for a total body weight workout, this is the one to do....55 minutes...347 calories. The core work was tough, I had to modify....my arms were shaking so much I could not hold a plank and ended up doing a knee bent one. :)

Hi everyone--

This morning I did an oldie--AB (54 min.). Still does the job.

That one sounds tough Deb. Good for you!

Lori, that sounds like a great way to cool off during these hot spells. We didn't get rain yesterday afternoon, but it really looked like it was going to come down there for awhile. My son and his friends lucked out and did get in their 18 holes before returning for dinner.

Ghostbusters was just not that funny--only a few laughs and mostly from the male receptionist played by Chris Hemsworth--or one of those Hemsworth dudes--who played it as a dumb blonde. He was very funny.

Valerie, the operation for my elbow replaced the radius and I was really fine almost immediately. The weird thing was I have never had a problem with carpal tunnel syndrome since that operation, and I was having a lot of issues before. The orthopedist can't explain it either.

Josie, I hope those fires are not affecting you.

Back from our sunday morning road ride, 25 miles 2 hrs 10 minutes. really quiet traffic-wise. My elbow is fine ... can't tell I did anything at all. what a relief. Can't tell there was even an injury. Lynda, I have never heard of that particular surgery. replaced the head of the radius? nice to take care of two problems at once.
Lori, prices on shampoo were better thru amazon but not enough that I wouldn't buy locally. I'm so relieved it's not an ingredient in my hair color. or if it is, that it's possible to avoid a itching by keeping the suds off my back. it was not in the regular shampoo section at
rite aid, but I was heading to the back of the store for a bottle of low cal margarita mix and there it was with baby products. wasn't even looking for it! I'm wearing a regular stretchy bra again and the itching is less and less. the cotton ones don't fit very well and don't support anything. it was an ingredient in the Pantene shampoo that is the issue but no idea what it is. ingredient list is long, as are the lists for the hair coloring.
maybe it's a combo of several ingredients.
too bad about the movie,. I was hoping it would be funny since the first GB was so funny. seems to be the hardest thing these days, to make a funny movie without getting gross, and I don't think gross is funny.
Yep Deb, I need to change everything to get comfortable and able to see OK, and then DH gets annoyed because he has to change it all back. we are not that different in size really, but I need to change a lot to be able to see since I'm so low down in the seat. next car will be more SUV-like. where you sit up higher. better for us short people.

Good morning,

The newer Total Body Giant Sets is a lot longer than the other one...(Compound Giant Sets)...and the exercises are more traditional...it is done in rounds, upper, lower, core. The upper groups are done 3 times, the lower and core twice each...a tough workout. Still no rain...:(.

I may need to shop for a new phone...:(. Ugh...my recharger will not go into the phone...something is twisted or broken inside. I have no idea what type to get. I know most of you have Apple, (as does John) but I can't justify the expense...it's just a phone! I don't do anything on it except calls and texting. Anyone here have something other than an iPhone that they really like?

Lori, my friend who has 5 cats (indoor) lets them out in her yard once in a while, and the same as you, if they do not behave, she attaches them to a long rope. Most of them just lie on the patio and sun themselves. 250 calories for only 30 minutes of arm work is great! That pool sounds perfect! Do you have a fenced in yard?

Lynda, I remember the old Ghost Busters movie....it was pretty good. Too bad this one was not....isn;t that the usual way with second movies?

Valerie, good news on the elbow! Also the solving of the itching problem. That is why I chose the Forrester over the Outback...it sits higher up, more like an SUV.

Josie, how is your Mom doing? Are you still going there regularly?

Caitlin, hope the move is going smoothly.

Judy, how was the trip?

A workout, (maybe the track)...and maybe phone shopping...

Take care

Hi everyone--

This morning I did RS with 1 lb. gloves (49:53).

Deb, I have an iPhone, so I can't be any help. Maybe Consumer Reports has some information on phones. There are definitely some bad ones out there. A friend bought one that AARP regularly advertises, and boy was that a lemon. Maybe Samsung? That sounds like a killer workout.

Valerie, glad you found something to help with the itching. Are you still going to see a dermatologist?

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer weather.

ttfn

Tried to do a ride this morning and got about 7-8 miles. got to a recently chip sealed road with loose gravel, and had to turn around. not safe to ride on that stuff. no other options. it's a nice quiet road but will be out of use to cycling for a few weeks.

Deb, I recently looked at consumer cellular because consumer reports likes them. they had 2 simple phones but poor battery life was a BIG issue when you read reviews. I was looking for a basic simple phone for my sister, but the really simple ones didn't sound worth it. I didn't look at smart phones. I just got my iphone a short time before. CR doesn't seem to like them very much. I get CR magazine. you can usually access older reports online but if it's recent, you can't unless you pay for online access. I don't. the june issue had a short article about the Samsung galaxy S7. Samsung ranks #1 and 2 in CR ratings. apple 6s ranks #7. this was not a detailed article and had no graph and they don't mention price.

Lynda, I have 2 appts that are 6 weeks away at 2 different derms. there's a list of ingredients a mile long for each type of color and for shampoo. I may need a derm for other things, so may keep one appt to establish care, as my previous one just retired. I expect they will tell me not to use hair color and switch shampoos ( done) . since I don't want to stop my color, it might be a waste of time for everyone.

Deb this is a link to CR. some info is available but not everything. they did an article in February 16. I have the magazine and can copy the article if you want.... but I'd have to mail it to you. no online access yet. their top rated phones were Samsung, LG, HTC. Samsung had 8 of the top 14 spots.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cell-phones-services.htm these were all priced up there with iphones so maybe this is not the market you want to look at anyway.

Last edited:
We got back from our trip this afternoon. It was a lot of fun and the cabin was great. My son set up his projector with a play station and we all watched Pirates of the Caribbean around the fire pit and had toasted marshmallows for smores which was a lot of fun. Saturday we spent 5 hours on a pontoon boat that had room for all 16 people. They all took turns riding the tube in the water :) Gertie, loved going out into the woods and checking out everything. There was so much excitement for her that I am sure she will be quite bored now that we are home. We played card games, video games, and my son built an outdoor been bag toss game and an outdoor yahtzee game with 4x4 dice that we rolled with a bucket. I will get back to the workouts tomorrow. I did not eat the smores. I still ate pretty well but I did go for some of the cream cheese pound cake with strawberries that I took for my daughter's birthday cake. Everyone bought fruit for snacking and there was a great kale salad with both dinners.

Lynda, I am sorry that Ghostbusters was not that funny. I often find remakes so disappointing.

Valerie, I sure wish they could make truly funny movies without crude humor. I remember movies years ago that were hilarious and were not crude like they are now. Barbra Streisand had some funny movies. I mentioned a Ben Stiller on the other day and then my husband showed me the previews and reminded me that this was the second one of another that he had made and it had a lot of crude humor. I decided that I did not want to waste my time watching it. The old ghost busters movie was funny.

Deb, it has been incredibly hot. We lucked out the Saturday because it rained just before we arrived at the Cabin and it was comfortable in the evening when we with a breeze and no mosquitos while we watched our movie. But yesterday it was hot and humid with no breeze. It is still hot. We do have some rain chances in the forecast this week. We are going to switch to ATT for our phone service. It was just upsetting when we got away from the larger cities and we could no longer text or call out. We were lucky when my daughter's were just arriving back from a store. We were having a hard time finding the cabin since there were not exactly street names but cabin names and landmarks for directions. I like my Samsung Galaxy Note 5. It stays charged so much longer than my iPhone ever did. It also charges quickly.

Lorie, being able to go out in your own yard and relax in a cool pool sounds really nice.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday I did Live Total Body Giant sets and thought it was great. I felt really worked and did not feel the need to add on. I forgot to start my HR monitor so have no idea the calories. No morning workout but tonight was back to SB's challenge which was several targets. Triceps, then Foldover, then Booty. Felt like I could do more so I added on Lower Body Matt w/ Band. My legs felt like they weighed 50 lbs after this. Total time was about 50 minutes. Just over 300 calories which is more than I anticipated.

Deb...I was able to do the planks yesterday, but many times had to go to my knees with other workouts. Some days are good and some I am not feeling it! I thought the same thing with the amount of calories for the arm work but my heart was pumping so it made sense. Our side yard is fenced in and has lots of privacy. Perfect for our little pool. No help here either ... I love my Iphone.

Valerie...that stinks about your ride. Sounds like the road will be nice when it is finished. Makes sense to keep one an establish care. Then perhaps you'll get appts. quicker too.

Diane Sue...what fun! We have a projecter that we have used outside too. We love it. We now have it inside set up nicely and usually watch all our movies on. We live 5 minutes from our pond and there are tons of pontoon boats. Awesome all 16 fit. Sounds like lots of fun. I would never have been able to resist a smore! :) I love you always list times and calories. I have been a little more consistent wearing my HR monitor because of this. I really like knowing how many calories I burnt!

Hi to Josie, Judy and Caitlin!

Hi Everyone,

Today I did 4 DS Legs, Shoulders, Calves & Core. I wore a 15 lb weight vest and used the 20 lb body bar for most of the leg work.

Our trip was good, just too short. I think we are going back to Indiana for a longer stay next month. We found out this weekend that Chris's aunt has to have heart surgery later this year. He would like to spend some time with her before that. We'll probably make it a 4 or 5 day trip.

Deb-I also have an iPhone so I can't help. I hope you find something that works well for you. It has been very hot here. We did get some rain last night.

Lynda-I am enjoying the summer weather. It will be gone before we know it. I will always take heat over cold and snow, but it has been a little too hot. 70's & 80's would be great.

Lori- I have SB scheduled for tomorrow- I'm going to do Old School Arms, Triceps 15 & Strong Back.

Valerie-That's too bad about your ride :( I'm glad your elbow is better.

Diane Sue-I'm glad you had a fun trip! I agree about movies, I don't like crude humor either.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin!

Judy

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Walk Fit workout on the treadmill...an "oldie but goodie". We finally got the thunderstorms that they have been predicting for weeks....the power even went out a couple of times, but only for seconds...and long enough both time to screw up all the clocks. At least all the plants and lawn were watered well.

I ended up at Walmart, (where I got my current phone) to look for a phone...they have an iPhone 5s on sale with their Straight Talk program which is what I am on now. Unfortunately, the one I went to was out of the phones, so back again today to a different one. I will call this time first. The thing I like about Straight Talk is that you buy the phone outright...and only pay for the monthly service. It' not like most services where you are basically leasing the phone and it ends up being very expensive.

Lynda, I think you would like that workout a lot...it's up there with the Phat workouts...hopefully you get the streaming back on track this week when the tech guy comes.

Valerie, thanks for the link....I will look at it before going back to Walmart...the Samsung phones they had there were way more than the iPhone...probably because it is an older model iPhone, which is fine with me. Good idea to keep one of the Derm appointments...like you said, this way if you need one again in the future, you will be able to get in easily.

Diane Sue, that sounds like a great time at the cabin etc. It is so nice that your family enjoys that type of outing together. I am sure the grandkids had a ball! I agree on the movies, crude humor etc nowadays. That is why I so enjoy watching a couple of episodes of The Andy Griffith show each day...its so refreshing.

Lori, I am not surprised that you did not feel you needed to add on to that Giant Sets workout! It left no muscle untouched. :) I find full arm planks easier than the ones that you stay down on your forearms....not sure why, but those kill my arms and I can only stay for a few seconds before falling down. I still have a hard time doing any weight work in a plank...that is when I have to go to my knees. That projector set up you have it great!

Judy, nice that you had a good trip. Was this the place that Chris is from?

Hi to Caitlin & Josie,

A workout, then back to Walmart....I actually went there twice yesterday.....long story....2 trips to Walmart in one day is enough for me for a year....not my favorite store. But have to try another one today...LOL....

Take care,

Deb, T mobile had a plan with no contract. We paid for the phones quickly since the set it where we could add to that payment. Now we just pay for service month to month. We can cancel whenever we want. They just have poor service away from the main cities. I think you can just pay for the phone ahead with any provider though. There is just not a good discount. When I had my last iPhone it was 60 dollars with trade in and 2 year contract. I have had too much trouble with iPhone and there service. We only have two Apple servoce centers in Oklahoma and the lines are dreadful. Service is bad. Then they keep upgrading till my devices are useless.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone--

This morning I did Flextrain (56:35).

Lori, that is a lot of workouts! I would be very tired after all of that. I'm sure you managed to burn enough calories to have several smores.

Deb, good luck finding that phone! I wonder if you couldn't order the phone online at Walmart.com and then have it delivered to the store closest to you. When I was doing STS and wanted to get really heavy dumbbells (for me, anyway), I ordered them online and then picked them up at Walmart when they told me they came in.

Diane Sue, that sounds like a lovely family vacation. I forgot--do you live that far away from Oklahoma City?

Valerie, I was looking at the ingredient list on my Amazing Grace shampoo and bath gel. Wow! Trying to isolate a particular ingredient causing the problem would be very difficult.

Judy, I haven't done 4DS in a long time. A good strategy with the weighted vest and bodybar.

Hi to Josie and Caitlin!

Last edited:
Today I did Amy Ross Body Box combos and intervals 1&2, 263 calories. I then did Amy Ross Drop Set Strength Split 2, 54 minutes, 239 calories, chest, biceps, triceps , and core. Total time was 1 hr 40 minutes and calories burned 502
Drop Set Strength Weights most weights are a bit heavier than Amy but some are the same.
see saw press on step 20's X 8 reps; 15's x 10 reps; 12's x 8 reps
extended push up- on toes walk hands out in front push up walk back 8 reps; push ups arms extended but not as far reps; on knees arms extended further push ups 12 reps
flies 20's 8 reps; 15's 10 reps; 12's 12 reps
Biceps
bent over concentration curl dumbbell face back at bottom turn up 20x 8 reps; 15 x 10 reps; 10# x 12reps
standing hammer 17.5's x 8 reps; start in front of thigh 15's x 10 reps; 10's long curl 12 reps ( I am ever a fan of long curls and Amy uses 5's)
seated curls with a drop down pour out that hits the triceps a bit 15's 8 res; 12's 10 reps; 10's 8 reps
Triceps
wide kickbacks 15's 8 reps; 12's 10 reps; 10's 12 reps
overhead extensions bringing dumbbells to press together 12's 8 reps; 10's 10 reps;8's 8 reps
triceps push up drop down push up on step with 3 ricers 8 reps; push up jump to standing step down push up 10 reps; 1 leg elevated push ups 6 right leg up 6 left leg up (hands are in triangle position on all of these)
I won't list core moves since I did that last week.

Deb, that is a good idea that Lynda gave on having the phone shipped. My husband got one of his iphones delivered to the house when he was home from out of country before. It was Apple though and they quick mailed it. I do not mean to bad mouth iphones but I still have a lot of irritation with them when I cannot get my book purchases off the ipad to put on my other tablet that were purchased through ITunes and a lot of my programs no longer work because my I pads do not update anymore.

Lynda, we live in Oklahoma City now. We lived a hundred miles away for 2 years and moved back.

Good evening ladies,

This morning's SB challenge was cardio of choice so I did the boxing part of 2016 Summer kickoff then the Jessica Smith 10lbs down 20 minute arms I did the other day. I will have to say this is quickly turning into a favorite of mine. She uses 5lbs throughout but I add in 8's where I can. High reps so you feel the burn with the lighter weights.

Judy.... How did you like SB Strong Back? I have a 10lb vest but never think of using it. I'll keep Chris' aunt in my thoughts and prayers.

Deb...everyone has had thunderstorms around us but nothing here yet! We sure could use some rain. Been a while since you have done a walk fit. Funny...I love Walmart. We are there every week some times twice a week. We love our projector. When Nicholas visits sometimes he brings his playstation and uses the projector. He can't get enough of it.

Lynda...I thought sure my legs would feel that workout today but all is good. Been ages since I have done the entire Flextrain. It really is a great workout. I use the fire walker section to top off a workout everynow and then but that is it.

Valerie..I did not find the cetaphil shampoo at walmart but did find a combo of Johnsons Baby Shampoo and Body Wash. I bought it and so far so good with Bob. You get more for your money with this than the cetaphil.

Diane Sue...I love burning 500 calories in a workout! I have had Iphones shipped to me before too with no issues.

Hi to Josie and Caitlin!

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did another C25K run, about 45 minutes. Tonight I did SB Strong Back & Old School Arms.

Lori- I really liked the Strong Back workout! After doing that and Old School Arms, I didn't have anything left for the
extra tricep workout that I had planned to do!

Lynda-I really like using the body bar with the weight vest.

Deb-Chris was born in Philly and grew up in New Jersey. His parents were from NW Indiana, and that's where most of his family is now.
Chris's father got transferred to Detroit for work in the mid 70's and that is how Chris ended up in Michigan. I like going to Indiana because it
reminds me so much of Iowa. I wouldn't mind moving there.

Hi to Valerie, Diane Sue, Josie & Caitlin!

Judy

Lorie, I put all of my calories in My Fitness Pal and sometimes it is interesting to see what the calories were on workouts that I have not done in a long time. A lot of my notes on workouts have the calories written on them. I will list first time calories for the first time I have done a workout and then what the calories were after I had done it for awhile. I also write the calories on a lot of my workout cards when I fill them out. It also helps if I paused and forgot to turn the heart rate monitor back on or it goes crazy because it gives me an estimate of what I would have burned so I can log it on my fitness pal. That must be a big pond to have several pontoon boats on it. I miss the days when I would burn 700 and 800 calories and was still working out about the same length of time ;)

Judy, those must have been exhausting workouts to not have enough to so the triceps :) I only did half of Body Box because by the time I got through a move where Amy had you holding dumbbells and going to the floor and doing what she called a windmill that had you crossing a leg over with one tucked under and coming up to standing then turning to do the other side, I had to drop the weight to 5# and I think I strained my low back a bit. I had to stretch out before I went on to the Drop Sets. I probably should have just done the boxing cardio mix. I have done that before but It was just not working today. Michigan is beautiful. We stopped in Indiana once to visit one of my online fitness friends. It was fun visiting other states that I had not been to. My husband had a friend that he met in Iraq and him and his wife had us stay at their house. They drove us all over showing us the area. I still remember visiting an area that had a dam. My husband bought a hat from a little shop that says the damn ice cream shop on it.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live PHAT 2....(45 minutes, 287 calories)...love that workout!

I ended up going to Verizon and they added me to John's plan. I also bought a Samsung Galaxy 6 phone...nice, but way more than I was planning on spending. I'm now having Buyer's Remorse....I'm sure I will get over it. :)

Diane Sue, yes, that is how the plans work nowadays....no more contracts, but you buy the phone as part of your plan, and once it's paid for, you own it. I don't know why I do not want an iPhone (other than the cost)...I love my iPad, & iPod...as for the service, we have an Apple store right at the local mall....and with Verizon as a provider, it really doesn't matter what phone you get...their service would be the same...good or bad.

Lynda, when I read your workouts and see they are DVD's now, I get sad.....How crazy is that?

Lori, great workouts....once I get the phone completely set up with Chromecast and our house network, I may try to play some of Jessica Smth's workouts on my TV downstairs..there is one on YouTube called "Abs, Arm Flab" ( how's that for a descriptive title? LOL)...Playing those games on a projected screen must be a lot of fun!

Judy, missed telling you that I hope all goes well with Chris' aunt. I have only been to Indiana a couple of times, both for work and I never left the airport....our office is at the airport....that and the hotel is basically all I saw...:(.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin,

The glass guy is coming this morning to remover the leaded glass side lights from our front door and take them to repair them. These were blocked with wood panels since we bought the house because some of the pieces were broken etc. I finally decided that we needed to get them fixed so they can be visible. 32 years later....well better late than never right? :)

Take care,

Deb, I do miss the Phat workout. I bet you love your new phone. Mine was pretty expensive when I got it. They came out with the 6 after I got mine. I got my Samsung Tablet last year for my birthday and love it. It does so much. My oldest iPad will not even play movies from my vudu and flixter accounts after one of the updates came out. I was pretty irritated with it. It will not update beyond version 6.0 . Once I started contemplating getting another device I started buying books through Amazon. I was able to access those. I guess it is the price you pay for new technology. I lost the music I had purchased through music match years ago. Now I just use Amazon prime music and rarely purchase. I bet it will seem nice to have the glass in the door. It will give it a new look.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.