Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/22

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Only agility class yesterday.

Valerie, that does sound like it was a really tough ride. DOMS are strange, for me it is usually 24 hours before they show up. I am not sure about how my hip will react to a bike. Anything ( like going up stairs) where I have to put weight on my leg hurts. Pedaling will require pressing down on it.

Diane Sue, all the LIVE low impact workouts are great! Did you get the PDF or spreadsheet from Lori?

Hi to Carolyn, Lori & Judy,

Have a nice day!

Good morning ladies,

Such a busy week last week. I have our annual conference I am planning on top of everything our company is going through. It is insane! My workouts have been great and keeping me from from going out of my mind! Been continuing on with SB’s challenge along with some BBS Sculpt and LEKfit intervals. Linda Woolridge released another Bounce with Mat workout. She does the mat workout on the trampoline. I found this uncomfortable (even using my larger one) so I moved to the floor and this worked so much better for me.

Deb..good you are slowly able to start working out again. Good choices to do. How do you feel after agility yesterday? I have never been to one of those restaurants. Will look them up to check out. FB marketplace is similar to Craig’s List but thru Facebook. Yesterday we picked up a beautiful, large square coffee table. Iron legs, glass top with leather inlay and wood. Hard to describe. When we saw it we knew this was for us and perfect for our movie room. The sellers have 2 young children and did not like having a glass top. She mentioned she paid $500 for it new. We paid $80. And it still looks new. :)

Judy...hope your back is better. Remodeling can take over your lives and yours has been a huge undertaking.

Diane Sue...great job with all the Raw and Live workouts!! How are you liking the Fit Tower workouts? I love them all. That Raw workout sounds great. I may so go on for the free trial to check her site out. I am curious about her raw workouts. I liked the few she put on YouTube when she first started. The arthritis center sounds like a wonderful place. Nice your doctor can see your hard work with weights! Hoping we should have Bob’s results soon. That’s too bad about Amy Bento. Guess rebounding was not working out for her!

Carolyn...as always great following the rotations. I love Tabatacise. Some of the Hiit I actually add on a fire loop. Some of the segments work really well with the loop and I only do it when I am feeling extra energetic. Lately, that has not been happening though! I am the same way about reading and learning as much as I can. Helps me understand more when speaking with my doctor.

Valerie...wow that was a good hike. You made me laugh with your “monster”comment. You crack me up at times. Love how you just put it out there!! We have had some high temps the past few weeks. We are having rain today and ok with it

May do a light workout then off to Home Depot. Good day for a project!

Deb, it should tell in a few minutes if the bike bothers your hip. It was a total non issue for me, and allowed me to ride often. Are you going to see your primary and get an opinion?

we did an easy hike yesterday with cousin and wife. drove past the house where aunt ( cousins mother) had lived and saw it was for sale and an open house yesterday. all 4 of us had spent a lot of time there, so we jumped at the chance to see what had been done by the "new" owners who bought the house 12 yrs ago. Wow. amazing the improvements they made. got rid of the carpeting and drapes, did some structural changes to open up floorplan. it was a fun hour looking around. it was a older house with a dated floor plan and furnishings. what an improvement. wood laminate flooring made it look 5x bigger.
nothing going on so far today.

Hello Everyone,
This morning I did WS3 One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 114 calories burned. After that I did Element Yoga with Tamal Dodge, the Relaxation flow for 39 minutes and 63 calories. This was my first time doing yoga by Tamal Dodge and I liked it, but it’s not one of my favorites.

Deb, it’s good to continue resting your hip. You don’t want to make anything worse.

Lori, you are really busy these days. It’s great that you are keeping up with your workouts.

Valerie, it sounds like you had a good day with your cousin yesterday. That must have been nice to see your aunt’s old home and how it has changed. I love looking at remodeled houses.

Waves to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did a Sarah Beth youtube yoga, 15 minute hot and sweaty power yoga. I had the fan on so it probably didn't count for hot and sweaty since she says turn up the heat or go outside if you want it hot. I did not want it hot. We have had such hot temps here between 107 and 110. It feels good today as it is 92 this afternoon. I went out and dug out a garden hose from the shed for the front as the plants and shrubs are parched. I have never had to do this. One year I carried some buckets of water out and put on bushes a couple of times. My hibiscus was dropping it's blossoms and the morning glories look droopy and stopped flowering. I have been dragging and feeling really drained. I am sure it is this med they gave me for the arthritis. I start feeling a bit better and a couple of hours after a dose I am useless. I didn't take one this morning because I knew there was no way I was going to make it through church and lunch out when taking it. He has me on two a day. I will take one tonight. I go back a week from tomorrow. It is suppose to help keep these joints from becoming misshapen like some are starting to be. I just want to know exactly what I am dealing with and hopefully a more natural way of dealing with little prescription meds. I don't handle them well. I thought the yoga would help me get moving this morning.

Deb, I found I had to lighten the tension when pedaling on the spin bike with my hip/low back hurting. Fortunately the Kelly didn't set it off too bad the other day. It is still a little sore but I had rolled it with the quick fix balls and it seems to be going away. Still it was only the one side that hurt after the workout.
Yes, I downloaded Lori's PDF onto my Google Drive so it is easy to reference.

Lori, that is good that you are still getting in the workouts which definitely helps with the stress. I had been wanting to try Kelly's Raw workouts and when she had the summer special I finally decided to do it and am glad that I did. Her lighting is much better now and she keeps improving it. She did one workout with the woman that normally does her filming and photography. It was a good one. I think she was giving her the cue to do some modifiers though and she just continued with what Kelly was doing. I thought she probably did not notice the hints :) She has one that is a no equipment wake up body weight workout which I have not tried and a floor workout which I have not tried. The light weight/ ankle weight one left me sore. It was a good one and with the boxing weighted drills it kept the heart rate up a bit. That coffee table sounds nice. We have had a glass top shadow box style coffee table for many years. It went through my children as they were a bit older, daycare children, grandchildren. Once in awhile we had to teach one of them it was not a seat or a place to pound on with toys. It got broke once, but that was moving it, and it was our son in law that broke it and we didn't even know till he showed up with a replacement glass for it. Right now we have old life magazines with the moon landing and Lee Harvey Oswald and that sort of thing on display in it. Christmas we put a Christmas scene with characters and building in it. The grandchildren love doing it. Anyway, we can change it when we like.

Valerie, it is fun looking at an old home many years later. Our home that we bought after retirement went up for sale recently. I liked some of their changes, but the they got rid of the southwestern theme which was what we chose it for. I did like that they put a door out to the garage from the kitchen, rather than going out the back door and then into the garage. I was glad they left the 5,000 dollar dark wood flooring we had put in the large office.

Carolyn, I find so many yoga workouts are just the basic moves. It is kind of hard to love a particular one. I guess for me it is dependent on whether I want something slow or a quicker placed flow. That is great that you are keeping up with the yoga workouts.

Did X-train bi's and tri's and core 1. I like the uncomplicated music on older workouts. background noise but not annoying or overly loud.
it was hot here today, 85. I guess it's all relative. I had to spend the afternoon inside as it was too hot to be outside. I hide in the basement at 92. 100+? leave town and never ever come back. got caught inAZ once when it was 117. I thought for sure I would die. I was in a wedding and had to wear panty hose. OMG.

It was funny to see aunt's house. her taste was not mine. a different generation. she wanted everything carpeted and draperied and didn't mind it so incredibly closed in, teeny tiny rooms and a skinny galley kitchen. the remodel was a beautiful improvement. the basic house is well built and with the adjustments, should sell easily. just the change to laminate wood flooring was a MASSIVE improvement.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. The pain was worse. I think it might have something to do with the shoes I wore for agility class Saturday. They were Keens, and I don;t think there is enough support for the kind of impact that there is in agility. Will not do that again.

Lori, that is great that you have been keeping up with your workouts during this busy time at work. Great score on the coffee table! :) What's the new project? Curious minds want to know! :)

Valerie, seeing that house must have brought back some memories. I have ridden past the house I lived in for most of my life. A family home where most of my uncles, aunts and various relatives have lived over the years. It seemed so much smaller than I remembered, but I guess that is always the case.

Diane Sue, wow, that is really hot. I thought the 90's were bad. How is the humidity when it gets that hot? Does that med make you sleep? Maybe ask the DR at your next appointment if it is ok to just take it before bedtime.

Carolyn, there are so many variations of yoga workouts, it can get overwhelming trying to find one that would be a favorite.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Deb I think you have to get checked out and make sure it is bursitis and maybe get something to help. this is dragging on too long. I (personally ) love Keen shoes and think they are very comfortable but not everyone can wear the same kind of shoe. I need a shoe with a flexible sole and a wider toe box. can't walk in stiff soles. but we're all different.

there was an interesting story this morning about the prevalence of air conditioning in different cities in the US. Kansas City >99% of the houses had air, as did Houston. Seattle was about 33% along with San Francisco. Portland was 69%. we have a heat pump which works to heat and cool in areas with mild temperatures. we don't use the air that many days of the year but terrific when we need it. When I lived in Wisconsin we didn't have air. summers were awful. I had an upstairs bedroom and it was stifling. bought a wall unit for my room when I started working. It feels like you can live with/tolerate warm days as long as you can get sleep at night.
Deb I agree, homes were much smaller and divided up into tight little rooms. My parents house was absolutely tiny with a microscopic bathroom. nobody had master baths, everyone used the same little room. one tiny sink. I remember the "jam up" in the morning but lives were different. men worked outside, women stayed home. there was a small "powder room" upstairs with a tiny sink and toilet. we were lucky to get a shower, hair wash once a week. we all have more 'stuff" these days but more open floor plans are so much nicer. styles change though and in 10 years something else might be popular.

Today I did Cathe Live Fit Tower Total Body with Weights, 59 minutes(55 actual), heart rate 95-140, met 4.0, 260 calories, 878 steps. I then did Cathe Live Quick Fix Cardio, 33 minutes, met 6.0, 218 calories, 2,397 steps, heart rate average 132, max 161. Total time 92 minutes, calories burned 478. I liked the Quick Fix Cardio but finally got rid of the mat after catching my feet in in several times. Thankfully a lot of it was not using the mat. suggested weights were 5, 8, 10# and high step platform.
Fit Tower Total Body with Weights
legs
single leg press 12# dumbbell
deadlift 15# dbs
high and tight
Triceps/chest
tower level 4 dips/triceps press down with band and tower superset
repeat
level 3 tower push ups 16 reps, drop to level 2 16 reps, drop to level 1 16 reps
legs
level 8 tower
on toes heels together shallow/deep repeat
15# crossback lunge
biceps (upper)
chin ups 15 reps, sweeper curls 15# dbs second set chin ups , W curls 15# dbs
pull ups 8 reps 3 sets
band t-pulls, band Y pulls
10 chin ups
lower with upper 12's or 10's
12# dbs lateral raise step outs
10# dbs push press
curl push press 10# dbs 3 reps
lunge lateral raise 8# then singles repeat shorter set
chest, shoulders, triceps
flys with leg left 15# dbs
triceps push ups
Abs-band over Fit tower crunch/leg lift; oblique pulls; over under at level 3, heel on bar leg raise toe out; plank toe tap on level 3, plank knee out level 3, plank hold

Deb, sorry that the shoes may be a problem. I plan on talking to the doctor Monday. I do get drowsy, but as usual naps do not happen often. At night I am still up and down, but a lot more dreams and nightmares. I know they will ask me all kinds of questions again when I return. I have not taken a pill yet today. I took one last night though.

Valerie, I would not want to go back to the day of the general 1 bath homes and maybe if lucky a half bath. It is miserable when you need in the bathroom and someone else is in there taking there time. I still remember the hotels when we first went to England and having to stand outside a bathroom waiting on some adult that was hogging it up. Miserable. I don't remember air in a lot of the old farm homes in Nebraska when we visited or when we lived there. I don't like being in the high heat conditions. I stay inside with my air and fans. Even the Smart Hours we use 82 degrees feels better than being outside in the heat.

Today I did Lower Body Blast, a timesaver premix that is standing only and no floor work. That was 52 minutes and 308 calories burned. Average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 159. I did this workout so many times during 2011 and 2012, but I have only done it one time since then.

Deb, the wrong shoes can definitely make a difference and cause pain. I have to be sure that my shoes have enough support or my knee will bother me.

Valerie, weather temperature is relative. Our temperature is cooler today, only 81 :). It’s been so hot lately that 81 feels good. Growing up we had a small house and a large family, but we didn’t give it much thought. I am amazed when I think back on it.

Diane Sue, great job on the workout today. The yoga instructor makes a big difference in how I feel about a practice. As with anything, some are much better at cueing and giving directions on positions. The instructor’s voice matters too—some are very irritating and I can’t focus!

We ndid na 26 mile road ride this morning. it was not hot yet and pleasant. 2 hrs 15 min. we are consistent in the time it takes. the trail will be partly closed the next two days for some resurfacing so a shorter ride if we go.
today and tomorrow will be warm. forecast is higher 90-ish than it will get where we live. we get morning sun but not late afternoon so often it is OK without running the air. my neighbors across the road get the late afternoon/evening sun and need air conditioning more than we do because it really heats up late in the day. we visited DHs family in the central valley in CA. it was routinely 107 or so. everyone has air but their idea of "cool" was 85 or 90. It made me sick. I thought I'd get heat stroke.

It was unpleasant in the heat and humidity in the Midwest but everyone suffered equally. no one had air. most homes then were similar in size and features. hard to imagine now because standards are different. I was 20 yo before I rode in a car with air conditioning. I thought it was a miracle! of course traffic was nothing like it is now either.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday I ended up taking a rest day. This morning was a Lekfit Bounce that had an intense upper section and fire loops for one of the intervals. It was a lot of fun and flew by. 42 mins / 331 cal. This was all I did. I felt pretty worked after this.

Deb...oh that is terrible your hip feels worse today. Yes the shoes would do it with all the running you do at Agility. I agree you need to have this check again. You should be getting some relief by now. The project is actually an existing one. We are plugging away at our movie room. I went to home depot for some black paint to paint the baseboard below the screen. It was bright white and was not working for the room It looks perfect now. After I did this I decided I wanted the wall to be painted instead of using the screen. This will be a good project. You need to have special movie screen paint to do it right. I like the screen but having the wall painted like a screen will be amazing and crisp. I’ll do this in a few weeks. I’ll post some pictures of the room tomorrow. We still have some organization to do but it is coming along nice. We love it so far.

Diane Sue...I ended up signing on to Kelly’s web site. I was going to try and do a free trial but figured the price is great so might as well try it out. I love what I see with the raw workouts. Going to try one out tomorrow. I was going to sign on to Leah Sarago but this can wait! I have really come to love live workouts vs dvds.

Valerie...I love that Bis and Tris workout. Great ride! It has been really hot and humid here. Today 82 but the humidity. My hair has been a mess for most of July!! Lol!

Carolyn...I love the conditioning drills in LBB. I may have done it 100 times by now!

Hi to Judy!!!

Have a great night all.

Carolyn, I understand the instructors personality and voice. I had a YouTube workout that was great for my neck and shoulders, but the woman aggravated me. I think it was because she talked to much and giggled. She told stories about giving massages and conversations. It just bothered me and for some reason the gold sparkly eye shadow bothered me. Maybe it wouldn't have so much if she didn't talk to much and attract attention to herself instead of the workout. Then I discovered Sarah Beth and liked her style so much I took the other off of my watch list. I have some dvds that I never do as well. One was a Happiness yoga or something. I just don't like doing it. The guy makes me think of some 60's 70's era hippy person and bothers me. I should just get rid of the dvd. I mainly want a good stretch out of it without a bunch of weird stuff or long drawn out meditation stuff. I lucked out with our homes as I was the only girl so got my own room. My brothers had to share. We had ours and one for the children.

Valerie, mornings are always so much cooler than any other time of the day for getting out. Even evenings here, I feel like the heat is still pouring off of the pavement. I remember my grandmother saying that because no one had air when they were young, that you just got used to it. I suppose if we didn't have the going from hot to cool, we would not be as uncomfortable. It makes me ill too. I remember road trips in older cars as a child with no air. They were miserable. Windows open did not help much. I used to get terribly car sick. Then we had a car with an air conditioner that was added under the dash on the floor of one of our cars. I remember it freezing over and my Dad having to shut if off and having problems on a trip with it.

Last edited:
Lori, I guess I was still typing when you were here. I had to stop and say goodbye to my grandson. Your project sounds great. Is your wall smooth, or does that matter when you paint it to use it as a screen? I almost did a Kelly live cardio along with the Fit Tower today, but decided on another live workout. The cost of Kelly's right now is not much difference than renting a movie. I have got a lot of use out of it.

Today I took my first dose of medicine at lunch and felt a bit off, but kept moving and have done okay the rest of the day. I managed to steam clean the upstairs rooms. I thought it might help my allergies. Gertie loves to go in my workout room and roll all over the carpet. It felt good to get it done. Tomorrow I will clean the stairs. At least that is what I am hoping to get done. I do have my grandson tomorrow and promised him a library trip.

Hi Everyone,

The flooring is finally done. We ran into a few unexpected issues but everything is fine now. I am very happy with how it turned out. It completely changes the look of our condo. We still have a few more things to do before we move the furniture back into the living room.

Attachments

• IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 6
Good morning,

No workout yesterday. We took Keegan to the Emergency Vet last night. He was vomiting, and we were concerned about him maybe having a pancreatitis flare up. Our vet was closed ( of course!) but he did call me and said to watch him for an hour, if he vomited again, take him to the E-Vet, which we did. Thankfully the test was normal for the pancreas values, and they said he has gastritis. Gave us meds etc. The meds are supposed to be taken with food, but he won't eat. I called them back this morning, and they said give them to him anyway, and if he doesn't eat by mid-morning, to call my vet. *sigh*...its always something.

Valerie, I was planning on calling my primary DR this week. Then yesterday happened, and now I want to make sure Keegan is getting better before making any other appointments. We lived in apartments all the time I was growing up. Yes, tiny bedrooms, and one bathroom for the whole family. Air conditioning of any kind was unheard of. The first house we owned is the one we have now.

Diane Sue, great Live workouts! Steaming the upstairs was an ambitious project for sure. I bet you feel good that it is done.

Carolyn, I don't remember much about Lower Body Blast, maybe it is one I don;t have.

Lori, that project sounds interesting. I bet it will be great when you finish it. I never heard of special paint for screening. Can't wait to see the pics.

Judy, the flooring looks great! You and Chris did a wonderful job1 :)

Skipping class today, I need to keep an eye on Keegan, and may have to take him to the vet, depending on whether he eats or not. :(

Take care,

Deb-Thank you. I'm sorry about Keegan :( It's good that he doesn't have pancreatitis. I hope he starts eating and is feeling better soon. It's very stressful when you have a sick pet.

Valerie-I grew up in a tiny house. It was only my parents and I so I had my own room but the rooms were tiny.
I looked it up on zillow and was able to see how it looks now. It's been painted, It was yellow when we lived there. It's probably been remodeled a few times since then too. It looks like it is now being used as a rental, probably for college students as Augustana is just a block away.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/3513-12th-Ave,-Rock-Island,-IL-61201_rb/

This morning I did RWH Lift It HiiT It Back, Biceps, and Shoulders. My time was 64 minutes with 297 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 149. It was such a great workout!

Deb, I’m sorry about Keegan’s illness. I hope he is better soon. LBB came out in 2010 at the same time as High Reps and Intensity.

Judy, your flooring looks wonderful. I really like it.

Lori, great job with the Lekfit Bounce and upper body. It sounds tough.

Valerie, nice job with the 26 mile ride yesterday.

Diane Sue, I hope that you are able to adjust to the medication. Steam cleaning sounds like a wonderful idea to help with the allergies. I need to do the same.

Have a nice day everyone. We have more rain coming this afternoon.

This morning I started with Cathe Live Cardio Core and soon realized I did not want to do it since it started with burpees and things I do not care for and went into standing with the stability ball and doing pendulums swinging the ball like Drill Max, I stopped there and started Live Jabs and Kicks so my time is 63 minutes(actual for Jabs and Kicks 54 minutes), 409 calories, heart rate 129 average, 169 max, met 5.9, 5,122 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Core Moves with the stability ball, 25 minutes, 97 calories, met 3.5 heart rate 92 average , 120 max, 245 steps. I finished off with Coffey Fit Raw Stretch, 28 minutes , 62 calories. I like the Jabs and Kicks workout. She does some heavy bag tabatas at the end :)

Deb, I am so sorry that Keegan is sick. I would worry about giving the medicine anyway without food since it would seem like it would make him vomit more. I hope this goes away quickly. It is hard to know what to do when they can't tell you. My heart goes out to you.

Judy, your flooring looks wonderful. You have really been busy. The house you grew up in looks like it would be a great rental for college students. It has been kept up well.

Deb, hope Keegan is feeling better.

Judy, that is a lovely floor. it will be easy to care for too. Its harder to do it yourself, but you get such a great feeling of accomplishment when its done. plus you save money.

we are pretty hot and dry here with more to come. DH and I are going to take a week off and go to MT. it's warm there too, but we need a change in scenery. too hot to do anything here. i'm not someone who can hike when it's 80 degrees and the flies are biting.

we got the last letter for a while regarding my mothers "estate". not clear how much money is left but I will get 30% of whatever it is. I am giving it to my sister who needs it, even if it is a third of $100. I am not trying to sounds like some kind of "saint" here. she is destitute and needs it. I gave her the life insurance part already, but I need to keep the money and dole it out to her. the house is the main thing left. unclear when it will go on the market. might be years from now.... to never. this whole mess has been awful. I am disappointed in everyone involved.

Yes, the heat, no air conditioning, and the motion used to make me carsick too. also we had a station wagon, and when you left the tailgate window open, it used to draw exhaust inside and contributed to the sickness. we kids were always vomiting in the car. no wonder we didn't go anywhere. no workout so far. will do upper body weights before dinner.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.