Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/13

I blew on past the presale too. I have enough workouts for life. I might consider a disk here or there in the future, but right now I don't feel the need.
a lot of the year we do rides or hikes. not as intense as a workout, but much longer. we did a ride hike combo today on a nearby island. we parked on the mainland, took the 15 minute ferry across and rode for a few miles, then locked bikes and hiked up to a viewpoint. really quiet and pleasant with a view, plus we were alone. about 2.5 miles RT with some noticeable elevation gain. then back to the bikes and finished the ride. the ride was only about 15 miles total but quite hilly and it was warm again today. it was a pleasant day and different from our usual rides. islands tend to have almost zero car traffic.
Lynda, I expect your husband is in great shape... farming is hard work ( my uncle and cousin were farmers in WI) and for a lot of hours a day ... every day of the week all year round. not a lot of time off. probably like it used to be for most men when physical jobs were standard rather than sitting around keyboarding!

Deb I was trying to remember the way that series started and I'm thinking Nat and Brenda got together for an more or less anonymous sex at an airport or something? and there was something about the hearse and the father? that repeats as the past gets revealed. I don't remember the first part well, it must be at least 5 years ago as I think the series started in 2002. when we restarted I don't think we did the first season. it goes into the family business, being undertakers and all the odd situations that has to offer and you gradually get introduced to the rest of the family. everyone is distinctive. there is some male gay sex in there, actually more graphic than any hetero stuff, but it doesn't seem gratuitous. adult themes but mostly the characters are quite real and nuanced after a while. not always in a positive way.

Judy, is FIL on antidepressants? I don't know how effective those meds are with alzheimers, and some people progress slowly, others rapidly. my aunt did so much better in a memory care facility but everyone is different. she does not have alz. sometimes people seem to sense they've had enough and they quit eating and withdraw. Hope you are able to get a better feel for what is happening if it's a closer location.

I have not seen the Liam Neeson one but I think he is like Harrison ford...getting a little long in the tooth for action hero roles. I will see if I had that one on the queue.

Good morning!

I did the legs only premix from Muscle Max this morning. Wow...forgot how tough Cathe's weight work was in the past. Maybe I'm just a wimp now.

Valerie, "yes dogs...just when you think they're almost human they do something like eat poop or ground hog guts" Good one!! :) You really have a good memory on the TV show...5 years is a long time to be able to remember the first episode...that was it exactly! I watched the second episode last night and now I am hooked! I do wish it wasn't so graphic though. If I could do it without messing up where I am I would Fast forward thought some of the scenes, but it's hard to do with the iPad. Glad you got the router issue resolved.

Lynda, I would try Orphan Black but if it's only one free season, I don't want to do that, I have enough of them right now. I put a bid in Ebay for the VM movie. It is about a dollar more than renting it on Prime, and with Prime you can only keep it for 24 hours! What's up with that? I don't really want to own it, but at least I can watch it on my own terms. I can fully understand how your DH stays fit. I always said I wished I had a physical type job. We are supposed to get some cooler weather now too.

Hi to Josie, Lori, & Judy,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41:33) and last night took Maxie for a 3 mile walk after dinner. Finally we had a dry evening.

Deb, I enjoyed the VM movie very much. It really resolved a lot of the stuff hanging fire from the series. Gee, maybe I should get out the Muscle Max for a change of pace. I have been alternating LLA with GG for my weekly leg workout and then a total body--either Flextrain or Supercuts--on Fridays. I can't figure out why, suddenly, The West Wing appears to no longer be available for free on Amazon Prime. Maybe I will try Six Feet Under.

Very sad--when Max and I came home from our walk there was a dead bird, quite large, that must have just rammed into our bay window because it was still warm. I took some pics of it and sent them to a friend who is a real bird expert and she says it was an American Woodcock. Very distinctive beak--long and pointy.

I was thinking about Josie in Spain. I remembered how everything seems to close down in the afternoons for siesta, and then not having dinner until really late--9 or 10 in the evening when things cool off.

I forgot to mention that my new blue tubing is much tougher to work with than my old one, which must have been really stretched out because I always wondered why Cathe would be grimacing while I was just sailing along with my tubing.

Lynda I've never seen a woodcock but I think they look like a snipe? I don't think they're the same thing... names get changed too frequently especially if they're birds you seldom see. we've had issues with birds hitting our windows... sometimes the light is wrong and it must look like there's nothing there.

Deb, some of the scenes in 6 feet get pretty graphic but they're not that frequent. not any female exposure that I remember, you're more likely to see men in the altogether. I don't like graphic sex. I don't much care which sexes, in what combo, are involved. I'd be happier with "intent" and then camera goes to black. I know sex of some sort is a part of most series but I'd FF if I could too. we may be re-watched the first episode or season, maybe that's why I remember it well.

went to yoga this morning and back in time for the intended power out.. some construction nearby, and we were warned of a 3 hr outage. DH didn't want to go ride because we couldn't set the alarm and it's hard to go in and out if the garage door doesn't open, so we ended up not riding. maybe tomorrow instead.

If I have a choice I would wait until a series has several seasons available before starting. I forget too much of the details when there's a year wait for the next season.

Good evening ladies!

No workout today. Came home late due to a church function. We had a tupperware party that actually was kind of fun. I left my house at 7:30 am and did not come home until 10pm. This was a long day for me! I did do 45 minutes of Barre yesterday at lunch time so I feel like I got something in. Tonight I am just too tired.

Deb...I have not done Muscle Max in ages. I should pull it out. With all the talk on these forums about xtrain legs it is making me want to do another xtrain rotation. not a full 90 days though since lately I just do not stick to long rotations. I may try the 30 day rotation. I have too many workouts that are calling my name!

Lynda...that is so sad about the bird. I would have cried if I came home to that. Ahh to have a siesta every afternoon! Yeah those blue bands when they are new really bite!

Valerie...I like Liam Neeson alot. Always have. My son things he kicks butt for an old guy!!! Was so sad how his wife died. I liked her too.

Judy...I noticed on Cathe Demand they have BootCamp listed which was her first Cathe Live. Wondering if they put it on so more people will see and sign up?

Hi to señorita Josie!

Have a great evening!

Good morning,

Today I did the Sprint 8 workout on the treadmill and Burn Sets Triceps.

Lynda, try Six Feet Under and let me know what you think of it. You will learn everything you may or may not have ever wanted to know about the mortuary business! I find it interesting, strange, but it's drama and a dark kind of comedy all at the same time. I don't know how you use that blue tubing. I have it and never use it, it's so tough. I like the light green band.

Valerie, I'm with you on the graphic sex scenes...I don't care what kind of pairing it is, just not necessary to show in my opinion, and you are correct, in this one they have not shown any female, only the men for some reason. I don't like the Brenda character, maybe she will grow on me or something.

Lori, good for you for taking a rest day! yeah, all the talk about Xtrain legs not being hard enough. Muscle Max legs was killer. I did the first set with a BB, then switched to DB's for anything else. I forgot how much I don't like using a BB for legs. Cathe has not incorporated a BB in her workouts in a while. Like it for chest and shoulders, but hate putting it on my shoulders and keeping it there. I still have a sore spot from yesterday doing only the squats.

Hi to Judy and the vacationing Josie!

Work, ( may take a half day off), then agility class tonight,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Supercuts (45:55) and last night took Maxie for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, I decided to cancel my Amazon Prime. I no longer buy books there and I was really irritated by the sudden erasure of the West Wing from their Amazon Prime listings. I also found out that they may be adding the first season of various new HBO shows (e.g., the Sopranos and the Wire), but then you have to buy the next seasons, which seems like a way to get you hooked and then you want more but you must pay. They were very nice--refunded my 99 dollars--and I will see if I get interested again. I did watch the first episode of Six Feet Under and didn't like it all that much. The mortuary ads were funny in a gruesome sort of way.

DH is going to rent one of those flapping inflatable figures you see outside car dealers and see if it works to scare off hawks and sharpees. They have become so aggressive of late, and Max doesn't like being out in the pasture with a bunch of chickens all day. Should be funny to see if it works. If it does, he may buy one of his own. I like the big Gumby, but we'll see what there is to rent. Our neighbors will probably wonder WTH?

Two parties and Jacob's Pillow this weekend. But the weather sounds perfect.

Have a good one!

We did a road ride this morning... a route we're trying to map out that's close to home. we did about 25 miles with a few mistakes and retreats from a too busy road, but most worked out nicely. more hilly than we're used to so I am more tired than usual. kind if warm but a lot of the route was shaded somewhat.

that sounds strange... what is the $99 cover if you can only get season 1? I know it covers 2 day shipping but that was all I paid attention to. we aren't clear on how the streaming choices may change over time...too soon for us to know.

we returned the cable box today. our bill is cut in (close to) half. we may try Netflix streaming. Hulu plus is working fine , the issue was our router.
we are on the Netflix DVD program and from what I've read, the choices are much better than for streaming, where not everything is available. but we will probably try Netflix streaming sometime soon just to see what the comparison is.

We both liked 6 feet under but like I said earlier, we didn't like the first episodes that much and dropped it, but decided to retry again a year or two later. after watching many series, I'm more patient ( usually) for character /situations to develop. I'm not sure about the Brenda character... sometimes I liked her a lot, other times not at all. she and Nate have a strange on again/off again relationship. Overall, I liked the series a lot, more as it went on. Not my favorite series of all time but I enjoyed it and recommend it. I liked West Wing too and would watch it again if I come across it. DH wants to see Sopranos again and I'm not so sure I can sit through it again.

We' re getting thru season 2 of House of Cards... really good!! but the usual issues with the big time gap since we saw season 1. and this one is very dark & twisty. watching True Detective next. only one season of it and that may be all. think there were issues with doing a second season.

Good morning,

We went out for breakfast earlier and now I am doing dog club stuff before going to class.

Lynda, like Valerie said, I think you need to see a 3 episodes of the series to get a good feel for any plot and character development. I like it a lot, the only part I have an issue with is some of the graphic stuff. I don't feel it is necessary at all, and hope that it doesn't get worse as the series ages. I too am not happy with Prime and cutting off shows so they can make you pay. However the ones that they cut off for me are pretty recent shows ( Good Wife this past season) which I can understand. I saw all the Doc Marten series on Prime, except the last one which I purchased. Same for Damages...all were on for free. So I guess I feel I get my money's worth, especially with all I buy from Amazon. I think one of those floppy things should scare anything away! They scare me. LOL.

Valerie, good job on the ride. Glad your TV stuff is getting close to being resolved. will check out True Detective. I looked at the first episode of Deadwood....I like old time western stuff but this was really graphic and violent. Didn't get through the first episode.

Hi to Lori, Judy and Senora Josie!

Take care,

I got True Detective on a Netflix DVD. I don't know if its available on streaming. it's the one with woody harrelson & matthew Mcconaughy(spelling) that got terrific reviews. there's just one season and I read they wanted to do another season but one of the actors didn't want to repeat so don't know how it all worked out. we'll watch it with the assumption this may be all there is.

I remember liking Deadwood mostly because of timothy Oliphant but I confess I can't remember much of the story, just that it was what I'd call "gritty". I'm not always sure what makes a series watchable for me... I know you all liked doc marten and I didn't like it but we all agree Downton Abbey is terrific as is The Good Wife.

Our bill is now $96 a month including all taxes and a modem rental..... fast Internet and the land line. for reasons unclear to me we need to rent one modem. we had been paying $145 but that was a struggle as they have tried to increase it to $180+ and I resisted. so DH would dump the land line but I hate using the cell for calls so I'm not yielding on this one.

the floppy cactus ones are big out here Lynda... so goofy looking but maybe they'll work?

I like Liam Neeson, but get annoyed when people are too old for action hero roles... maybe more the fault of casting. I haven't seen the movie we were talking about yet so I should reserve judgment. I remember his wife died suddenly at a ski resort from a stroke or some sort of brain hemorrhage... but I forget who she was... daughter of Vanessa redgrave maybe?

Hi Everyone,

Someone made an offer on FIL's house, hopefully everything will work out. SIL is coming back next Thursday and she is bringing one of her sons to help DH move FIL to the new assisted living facility. We will be moving him next Friday and Saturday. Between that and selling the house, we will finally be able to stay closer to home and not have to spend our weekends in Ann Arbor. It is a huge relief to be so close to FIL and know we can get there in 5 minutes if he needs something.

I bought a new weight vest this week, 20 lbs. My old one was only 8 :eek:

Lori-I can't wait to start working out in the basement. You're right about boot camp being listed as "On Demand", I hadn't noticed that before.

Deb-I love using the BB, I think that's why I like doing Cathe's older workouts more. She doesn't use the BB much if at all in the newer ones.

Valerie-FIL isn't on an antidepressant but he might need to be. FIL has always had an upbeat, positive, pleasant personality and he just seems to be giving up now. I'm hoping the new facility can offer him a little more/better care.

Lynda-I still have Amazon Prime, but I almost cancelled it when they raised the price this year.

Hi to Josie in Spain!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.