Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/28

Lynda, I'm really not sure if there is any special significance of moles on palms/soles. I think the skin character is somewhat different and moles there might have different significance. there's no hair or freckles and callouses develop easily so not the same as most other skin. I don't really know. soles of feet are an issue because they're hard to observe closely for changes.

we did a 32.5 mile ride this morning even though it was warm. fairly breezy and low humidity so it was comfortable.
Deb, I picked 6.5 bs of blueberries in half an hour. I washed most and froze them. I like blueberries and peaches mixed in a fruit salad. also want them on my cereal. will probably make muffins too. not turning the oven on until it's cooler though. glad to hear Kylee is better.

Good evening ladies...

Today at lunch we did Lower Fix and tonight was SB's Butt Lift plus Cathe Live Standing Abs. I have decided to try and do SB's 30 Day Advanced Summer Challenge which started yesterday. I really liked today's workout and would have never done it if it weren't for the challenge.

Deb...so glad Kylee is feeling better. I know what you mean about the Summer. We have had some nice days here and there but certainly not enough. Today it decided to pour when I was leaving the house. It came down hard!

Lynda...very comical about trying to put the thunder shirt on Max. We saw Jurasic World a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I like Bryce Dallas Howard and enjoy most movies she is in. Thought she was great in The Help. I have not seen the paintings but did hear they were beautiful.

Valerie...what a great ride! Good for you and Lynda doing STS as many times as you have. I have only done the once but have used some of the workouts here and there. Really want to start up again in the Fall. I ordered the new ICE workouts too. They sound really great. I thought I read somewhere that she considers a lot of her Live Classes intermediate...everyone I have done I am usually a sweaty mess when finished but not completely exhausted so I am really looking forward to the new DVD's.

Judy...are you still streaming SB? So far enjoying her summer challenge. They make a nice add on.

Hi to Dawn and Josie!

My Bonus Mom or Mother B as I call her went for testing yesterday and will have results tomorrow morning. We are all on edge. I leave for Charlotte Friday Morning and it just can't come quick enough.

Have a great night all!

Good morning, & Happy Thursday!

I met my boss ( I guess he's not my boss anymore) for dinner last night, he was in town. It was really nice to catch up. Also "re-affirmed" my decision to retire. I don't miss some of that BS at all.

Lynda, I would check YouTube or Google to see how to put the shirt on...that is too funny. it doesn't look that complicated in the pictures. There are professional fireworks at the border here between Canada and the US to celebrate Canada Day (yesterday) and the 4th of July....we can hear them every night, since we are only a few miles away. Thankfully the dogs do not pay any attention to them. Yes, the prisoner was an "artist" and used his paintings to get privileges and other contraband from the guards. The one guard that was arrested I guess gave him stuff and also let him go out on the catwalks, which played a big part in the escape, in exchange for some of his paintings. Unbelievable.

Valerie, that was a great ride! I like blueberries in yogurt. 6.5 pounds in a half hour is not too shabby!

Lori, have a safe trip to Charlotte, and have "Mother B" in my thoughts for good test results.

Judy, sorry my post of the screen shot got all out of order....it's above. I think you will enjoy STS.

Hi to Josie, and Dawn,

Gardening, and whatever comes up...we have no commitments!

Have a great weekend!

Good morning, & Happy Thursday!

I met my boss ( I guess he's not my boss anymore) for dinner last night, he was in town. It was really nice to catch up. Also "re-affirmed" my decision to retire. I don't miss some of that BS at all.

Lynda, I would check YouTube or Google to see how to put the shirt on...that is too funny. it doesn't look that complicated in the pictures. There are professional fireworks at the border here between Canada and the US to celebrate Canada Day (yesterday) and the 4th of July....we can hear them every night, since we are only a few miles away. Thankfully the dogs do not pay any attention to them. Yes, the prisoner was an "artist" and used his paintings to get privileges and other contraband from the guards. The one guard that was arrested I guess gave him stuff and also let him go out on the catwalks, which played a big part in the escape, in exchange for some of his paintings. Unbelievable.

Valerie, that was a great ride! I like blueberries in yogurt. 6.5 pounds in a half hour is not too shabby!

Lori, have a safe trip to Charlotte, and have "Mother B" in my thoughts for good test results.

Judy, sorry my post of the screen shot got all out of order....it's above. I think you will enjoy STS.

Hi to Josie, and Dawn,

Gardening, and whatever comes up...we have no commitments!

Have a great weekend!

somehow I missed seeing the reason for a thunder shirt. I can't imagine getting that onto a wiggly uncooperative dog! I get some audio but nothing that says what it's for. is it supposed to calm him?

still hot and sunny with no relief in sight. today and sunday will be the worst. multiple communities banning personal fireworks discharge of all kinds but nothing so far from this county. the issue is enforcement. and then there are idiots at large..... we had someone driving up and down the freeway starting grass fires with a flare at least 10 places. asking for public's help in ID'ing them. they have a car make, color, model and vague description of two older adults. sometimes I really wonder how many crazies there are out there impersonating responsible adults.

our house looks like at least 6 people live here. we have a bed in the basement, the guest room, the living room and master. we can be found in changing locations as we roam around trying to get some sleep. the heat pump does not get the upstairs cool enough. it's not reliably getting cool enough at night. I am getting to HATE summer. we are considering buying a portable AC to cool the upstairs better, but most of our windows are the wrong type.

ETA Lori hope all goes well with second mom. so many screening tests show up small irregularities that will never be a problem, but docs are legally required to follow up on them to be sure. Don't worry until you have to.

Josie, I forgot to say I had DH change the tilt on my bike seat. my wrist/hand numbness is not getting better so guessing maybe I had it tipped down too much and it's putting more pressure into the hands. will try to ride to test it soon. our regular trail ride is reasonably shady if we ride in the morning so should be Ok even when warm.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Glad that you enjoyed the pictures. It took me 3 days to get back to normal due to jet lag. I trained with Karina on Tuesday and went to Bodyattack yesterday and today Karina again.

I picked up the Peanuts yesterday and will have them for 2 weeks, so I have been busy setting up a schedule to keep them busy. I took them to the movies to see Inside Out and they loved it.

Garance, I'm glad that we are not in Greece at this time too. When we were in Athens there were a couple of protests at the Parliament building, but they were very peaceful.

Deb, hope that Kylee is feeling better. Poor baby :(

Lori, hope that the results of Mother B's tests are fine. I will keep her in my prayers and I know that she will be happy that you are there.
We used to call my MIL Grandma B :)

Judy, good luck on STS. It seems that you are back to normal now.

Valerie, I need to get back on my road bike. I signed up for ALC as a rider for next year and I plan on putting in more miles and starting my training earlier than I usually do. I also plan on doing the 21 day fix diet along with the training.

Hi to Dawn!

Josie

Hi All--

I did AB (54:00).

Valerie, yes, the thundershirt is meant to calm a dog. Max has problems with thunder and likes to bark at firecrackers and gunshots. Actually, thanks to those youtube snippets from Deb, we figured out what we were doing wrong. The directions that came with the shirt tell you to put the belly part on first, but the youtube instructions clearly show the neck straps going on first, and believe me, that makes all the difference. It is sort of a two-person job because Max thinks it's some kind of game. Yep, definitely some crazies out there. At least you had a good ride the other day.

Deb, thanks for the youtube videos. I love the dog with the British accent explaining the wonders of the thunder shirt.

Lori, finally some good weather coming our way and you are headed south. An SB challenge sounds great. Have a safe trip and best wishes for your Mom B.

Welcome back, Josie! Have fun with your peanuts and stock up on zinc lozenges before they arrive with their colds. Don't want you getting sick again. Greece sounds like it's worse than our Great Depression. And the imposed austerity measures are just making things worse. I just read that the bailout money is going to the banks, not to the people. Similar to what happened here, only worse.

Hi to Judy and Dawn!

Good evening ladies,

I am so emotional as the news was worse case senario. Madeline has stage 4 lung cancer that has metastasized and has spread to her back and hip. I am devastated. We knew it was going to be cancer but not this. We spoke with her doctor and he confirmed it is really bad and that is what he actually said. If it is the small cell (some long medical name) then she has 1-2 years. If the larger cell then a year. We will know after the biopsy. Doctor thinks this has been going on for about 4 years. I am not ready for this so this will be really hard for me. So glad my DS will be there tomorrow for her and for me.

I have not read the earlier posts. Will look at them sometime tomorrow. I am so sorry to be so down. :)

Lori, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. My best friend Jeannie died of lung cancer and I was the first one she called when she found out. I will keep all of you in my thoughts.

Lori, I am so sorry about the news. That is devastating. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy

Good morning,

Well the weekend is here...I am counting today since most people are off for the holiday.

Lori, I am so sorry about your Bonus Mom... Do not apologize for being down...that is heart breaking news. Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Valerie, I am not sure what a heat pump is or how it works, but have have you ever looked into the split system air conditioning? Even just one unit for your bedroom would be good. It is a little expensive but so worth the money. Very quiet, and a lot less expensive to run than regular central air. No window units, that have to be removed and are so blasted loud and they are thermostatically controlled.

Josie, have fun with the peanuts! Yes, do what Lynda said...start on your zinc stuff now. LOL.

Lynda, keep me posted on the shirt...I have a friend that has a dog that goes crazy with fireworks, I told her about the shirt, and that you are trying it out with Max.

Hi to Judy & Dawn,

John will be fishing today, I want to get a workout in, ( I think it's been a week since I did anything) then do some stuff around here.

Take care,

Deb, we are looking into a portable AC. DH already talked to someone. we have the largest "home" heat pump already. larger ones are commercial grade and would require extensive wiring changes. the newer ones use a different coolant that is not as effective as the older units.
we have 3 floors and the upper does not cool well. a small unit upstairs might fix this as it usually is only a few days per year. this is a very unusual year. we often have a hot day here and there interspersed with much cooler weather so it's not as troublesome. this has built up day after day and it looks like another week at least. the entire west is hot and dry. our windows type are the issue for fit for a portable unit. most open outward, not .

I didn't do anything yesterday so today will do a workout. not sure what. DH had something scheduled this am or else we would have ridden.
yesterday we found out someone had stolen a garage door opener. it's possible DH dropped it off the lawnmower, or that someone snatched it when the lawnmower was parked in the driveway. DH sometimes parks it in the driveway when he comes inside for something. usually it's in a locked shed. we realized when suddenly our garage door went up yesterday after someone drove by. didn't see the vehicle. it's a mixed blessing. luckily we were home, unlucky that we lost an opener and need to rescramble the codes. proof though that crooks cruise thru looking for opportunity. our next door neighbors lost a GD opener a couple weeks ago in a theft from their vehicle.

Lori again I'm so sorry. maybe you will be able to pay back some of the kindnesses she showed you when you were young.

Last edited:
Hi all--

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41:20).

Lori, that is very sad news about Madeleine. I lost two of my sisters from lung cancer and it was very hard. One of them had radiation therapy because of a large tumor on her lungs that made it very hard to breathe (she died very quickly after the tumor was discovered so it was shocking for me to lose her so quickly), and the other one had chemotherapy because it had metastasized to her spine. I hope she is not in too much pain and you will be able to spend some precious time with her. The time I spent just listening to my sister after her chemo treatments and toward the end of her life, spending many hours talking with her, were very important for both of us.

Deb, I will let you know how the thundershirt works for Max, once we successfully get it on him in a storm with thunder. Hah! Maybe we should just hug him, because that is how the thing is supposed to be therapeutic.

Gosh, Valerie, you have so many problems with thievery in your area. We don't lock our doors and when people come up to the farm to buy meat, DH is frequently not even there and people just put money and checks in a cash box next to the freezer. This is also true of a couple of local farmstands. I suppose there is always a first time, but maybe because we are so far back from the road and/or a thief would really not know if anyone is around to see them.....

ttfn

Good morning!

Well it's the weekend and nothing beats starting out a holiday weekend than a nasty, clogged kitchen sink drain! John worked on it for 2 1/2 hours and then gave up and said to call a plumber. ....so no using the kitchen sink (joy), and the plumber will be here between 8-10 this morning. In the meantime, all that black crud is all over the basement floor, and up the stairs in the hall etc. Ugh.

Valerie, not sure what a heat pump is...will have to Google it. I can understand getting a window one is if you only use one infrequently. I just can't tolerate the noise. I would rather use a fan or sweat! What we have are units that are individually installed in a room or area, and cool those rooms only, no ductwork needed, or window etc. Remote temp controlled, hardly can tell that they are on. We had to get these instead of central air, since we have hot water heat and no ductwork. As for all the improvements we did in the house, this is one of the ones that I am most happy that we did. Scary about the garage door opener! So you have a code right on opener itself that you can change? That is great. Now you just need to get a replacement.

Lynda, did you get the shirt on Max eventually? A hug is good, I'm sure he would love that too. My Mom died from lung cancer, ...similar to your sister. When it was discovered, it was too late, although she did have surgery, and did all the treatments. They may have extended her time, but I am not sure if it did or not.

Hi to Josie, Judy, Dawn, Lori,

What is everyone doing this weekend?

Take care,

Good ebening ladies,

Arrived in Charlotte safe and sound. Gave Madeline the tightest hug that I ever had. We shed a few tears and then we moved on. We all decided beforehand we were going to celebrate life and yesterday ended up being a really fun day. The cancer has spread to her spine, hip amd lymph nodes which I did not know the latter until I arrived. I missed that somehow.

I am up earlier than everyone else waiting for the coffee to brew. I use kuerig at home so I have forgotten how long a pot takes. Seems like forever! Looks nice today so DS and I will go for a nice walk then I am planning to catchup on SB's summer challenge. I broughts bands and 1lb weights. The there are some dumbbells here so I should be good to go.

Josie...you did come back just in time. That is crazy what is happening in Greece. Nice that you signed up for the ride next year. Enjoy your grandkids!

Deb...well that certainly stinks about your sink. Hope it is en easy fix. Seems like you will have a ton of cleaning to do due to it. Ugh is right!

Lynda..I remember you telling us about your sisters. So very sad. Madeline has a tough road ahead of her. She was talking how she plans to be hear next year and the year after and after. I wanted to cry but I was very positive right alomg with her. The odds are just not in her favor. Hey miracles have happened. I am just very realistic. Wow that is great how your farm can rely on the honor system. I could not do that in westminster! Very nice.

Valerie...hope you find that remote! We have a portable a/c in the bedroom and we love it. Think we have had it about 8 years now.

Josie...i'll have to look up the FB STS challenge. I will not be starting in August but would like to read all the motivational posts!

Hi to Dawn!

I want to thank you all for your support and kind words. It really meant a lot. I love how our little group supports one another in all different aspects of our lives.

Happy 4th!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.