Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/20

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did the Pyramid Bonus Combo pre-mix and I am fried! I managed to use the weights Cathe uses for most of the exercises, except for biceps. I was surprised at that.

We are going to my brother's for dinner, to celebrate Father's Day. It seems strange to do this, without my Dad there, but I guess it is a good thing to do.

Happy Father's Day to all the DH's out there....

Have a good one,,,

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did P-57 (57 min. workout).

Good for you on matching Cathe on this one! I, too, cannot match Cathe on the bis--15s are just too much for me.

I pretty much have everything set for dinner tonight since DH is doing the grilling. FIL will be glued to the TV watching golf, I suspect. He is feeling so much better this year than last.

A bit too humid for me today, but I am still glad it's summer.

Valerie, I watched Shutter Island last night. Awful--and I usually love Scorsese. Just self-indulgent. I'm tempted to see Toy Story 3 because it has been getting such good reviews. Our boys were little when the first one came out and we loved it.

I'm going to watch Arranged this afternoon and put a couple readings together for my syllabus to go with this one.

Hi to everyone else!

busy again all week, but i have worked out and today i was just too pooped to do anything, super long day yesterday, and i did advanced cardio blast & express cardio after the long day and before the visit to the ER, cuz my youngest granddaughter jerked her elbow out of socket, so went w/my dil to hospital. so, that was only one day out of the last week, hope to be around a bit more this week.

Monday

Good morning,

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I did a HIIT treadmill workout plus the stability ball abs from the Pyramid workout.

Garance, how did your dinner turn out? It sounds like a very relaxing one where your FIL watches TV and you are able to do some work as well. How old is your FIL? They stay in Florida for the winter?

Cathy, ouchie, your poor granddaughter! How did they get it back in? My shoulder used to do that regularly, and I would put it back. It actually did not pop out of the socket, but the tendon across it was stretched that the shoulder would move to the other side of it, it hurt like hell. I moved it back myself most times.

A beautiful day here, right now it is cool and low humidity, hope is stays this way.

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Zumba Cardio Party (47 min.). Tomorrow I bring out the maracas for Zumba Sculpt. Must ready myself for guffaws from DH and either some serious staring from Max or a desire to let him fetch the rattle.

Deb, it was a perfect evening for a cookout and FIL thoroughly enjoyed watching the final rounds at Pebble Beach on our big TV. Our local strawberries were absolutely first-rate--so much better than what you buy in Stop and Shop. Yes, they have a home in Vero Beach and golf from October through May, then come back to their condo here and golf from June through September on the college golf course. I believe he is now 86 years old, and she is 82, but they are both still very active.

Cathy, does your granddaughter have a "trick" elbow, or did something happen to pull it out of joint?? Sounds painful to me and reminds me of my bad knee.

Valerie, I re-watched Arranged yesterday afternoon, and on second thought, given your hearing difficulties, I take back my rec. A lot of NYC accents, mixed in with Arabic and orthodox Jewish accents. Not sure you would be happy with trying to parse the dialogue. Still do love the film.

Hi to Josie! Hope you are enjoying LV, Joan!

Good Morning all,

No workout today, another sleep deprived night. I am reading a book called One Good Dog and it had some disturbing parts that I think bothered me enough that I could not fall asleep for some reason. I skimmed over the part, knowing that it would bother me but it is a really good story otherwise so I wanted to keep reading. If I am not asleep by 11:00 I usually turn the workout alarm off, which is what happend last night.

Garance, I would love to see the look on Max's face when you bring out those rattles the first time. Priceless.

Have a good one!

Hi Deb, Josie, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did the Zumba Sculpt (45 min.) and brought out the "Zumba sticks," which really look and sound like giant baby rattles. This is definitely more cardio than sculpting of any kind unless you are a baby. I will use it as cardio in the future.

Deb, DH chuckled and Max looked...... bored. DH explained his lack of liveliness--he was totally pooped from being over in the hayfield all day yesterday, and this morning, according to DH, he really didn't even want to leave his crate to go check on the chickens at 5. He just flopped down in the driveway and snoozed until DH started weighing them, which apparently he finds utterly thrilling. DH puts a chicken in a little plastic pail and then plops it on a scale. The chickens like to pop their heads above the pail edge and Max thinks this is a game with him.

Deb, sorry about no sleep! What is your book about? I am currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin, and it is pretty dark, but also exciting. The reviews were so positive that I had to try it.

Hi to any later posters!

Hi Ladies,

I have been very busy at work and did not get time to post yesterday. I ended up doing Zumba on Saturday and being a couch potato the rest of the weekend. I did go spinning yesterday and I noticed that I had to add twice as much resistance to get a good workout. My legs got stronger from the trip.

I will be doing a hardcore class this evening at the gym. I posted more pictures on my blog for your enjoyment.

I will be back tomorrow.

Josie

Wednesday

Good morning all,

Very tired today, again no workout. I am slipping into one of those typical slumps. I need to talk myself out of this. Hopefully tomorrow. I will be meeting friends in Niagara Falls Ontario this weekend, staying until late Sunday, so I will not be around after Friday morning.

Garance, Max sounds like he is enjoying the chickens.

Josie those pictures are great!

Here are clips from the new Kelly Coffey Meyer workouts, they look pretty good:

Circuit Burn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGnECezpmrA

L.I.F.T.: Lift In Full Throttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_aIrRv3bPo

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

Deb, thanks for posting KCM's workout clips. They both look good, and what I especially like is that she has a modifier (ARE YOU LISTENING, CATHE?????). Probably not, but this is why I am so ambivalent about Cathe's workouts lately. I'm not really in the market for new workouts just yet. What I DID do today is pick up from Walmart (site-to-store) my new 25 lb. and 30 lb. dumbbells for meso 3. I had difficulty picking up each pkg. (50 lbs. and 60 lbs.) to get them in the back of my car. I start meso 3 next week and vowed that I needed some heavier dumbbells.

I just read that USA soccer will move on with one goal over Algeria in the first minute of stoppage time. DH will be thrilled when he watches the game tonight.

Josie, how did you like your Zumba class?? I am really enjoying my DVDs. Very dancy and Latina/Latino.

Hi to Cathy and Valerie!

Hi Ladies,

I will be spinning tonight. I need to clean my bike when I get home. I plan to go riding this weekend. There is 2 rides available for the weekend, one is 14 miles on Saturday which is like taking a spinning class and the other one on Sunday 30 miles with a stop for breakfast at mid point. What do you think ladies?

Garance, I love the zumba classes. They offer it 4 times per week, so I will be taking it as often as I can. I need to buy some comfortable shoes to do it in though. I used my running shoes and my toes were getting numb. Do you have any suggestions?

Deb. I'm sorry that you are in a slump again. So, get off your butt and start to move it!

Hi Cathy, Valerie and Joan!

Josie

Thursday

Good morning,

I slept in a bit today again. Not sure why I am so tired. Maybe it's the heat, although it has not been that bad. :confused:

Garance, wow I do not know how you can use 30 pound DB's :eek:. I have 20's and can make heavier ones with the old fashioned style bars and weights. The heaviest I have used is a 25 for one arm rows. When I bought the 20's, the people in the store thought they were for DH. :D

Josie, thanks for the kick in the butt, I need it!

Hi to Cathy, Joan in Vegas, and Valerie,

Take care,

Hi Deb and Josie--

This morning I did BBL Sculpt (50 min.).

Deb, I have serious doubts about those 30 pounders. I carried them upstairs one at a time. I did vow that I would increase my weights for meso 3, so we will see how it goes. Maybe I can row with them if it's only 8 reps. Sunday I start meso 3. It's been very humid here the past few days and it does enervate me, so maybe that's why you are feeling weary.

Josie, I am just wearing my Rykas for Zumba. They are crosstrainers and pretty light. I always replace my shoes in September. Sounds like you are really into that bike. Love your pictures.

Off to Jacob's Pillow this Saturday--Dance Theatre of Harlem. Back in my summer groove!

Hi all. backl from our short vacation. we started out with quite a bit of rain so didn't leave til sunday. I forget, sat or sunday I did another upper body disk along with brief treadmill and bike. we were planning a backpack but the weather didbn't clear so we did 3 day hikes instead. turned out weather would have been OK but there's something about standing there with a heavy pack in the rain that makes one reconsider the plan. didn't stop raining until late monday.
we did a 4-5 hour easy hike monday. tuesday it was really lovely out, and we did a tough kick-butt climb in snow to a favorite outlook called cutthroat pass. about 11 miles, 3500 feet gain. hiking up steep slopes in deep snow is tough, and you get wet, and overheated and burned if you aren't careful. we were the only ones up there which is as it should be. it was so gorgeous!!. going down we glissade ( slide on your butt using an ice axe to control speed) so down is way faster than up. wed we did an easy 2 hour hike just to do something before driving home.

Today we did our regular 35 mile bike ride and I am fairly pooped. It finally warmed up, yesterday was the first day over 75 ( 78) since last september. it's so funny... when we ride, DH goes a little faster than I do but not much... the pads in his helmet and his shirt are dripping sweat, just dripping. wringing out wet. I'm dry as can be. same temps, same exertion, I barely sweat . If I drink more water, I pee more. I have trouble when weather gets hot because I don't sweat enough to cool myself and overheat. It's a big reason why I live in the climate I do. when we finish the ride, he's a couple hundred yards ahead, we don't look like we just did the same activity! I look like I haven't done a thing, and he is completely dripping and soggy.

Josie, could you put down the link to your blog again? Thanks. Maybe I need instruction in how blogs work.

Lynda, we watched Tumbleweeds and enjoyed it. kind of an annoying woman but interesting. I kept thinking she acted like a lot of women I used to know! "Arranged"... I'll do the best I can with it. sometimes I have trouble with things no one else does, and more difficult things are no biggie. haven't checked to see if it has subtitles. I think it's in the incoming pile of mail.

I have 20's and 25's but plan on stopping there, at least for now. when I need heavier I have handles & can use plates. the only issue is the plates themselves are big and tend to get in the way. I'm not sure I'd invest in 30's unless I find I need them pretty often. not the case now.

Oh well, off the the grocery, the frig is empty.

Hi Ladies,

It is fiscal closing for us here at UCLA, so I have been very busy. Today I will be going to a hardcore class and maybe spinning. I'll see how I feel after the weight training class.

Valerie, here's the web site: http://tailwinds2010.blogspot.com, just plug the address on your internet. I also perspire a lot; I leave a puddle of sweat wherever I work out.

Deb, get back on the horse!

Garance, I will try zumba in my cross trainers.

Have a great evening!

Josie

I ATE WAAYYY TO MUCH TODAY! went out for lunch & supper. and my w/outs have been so rushed this week. gotta make up for them tomorrow.

well, my granddaughter was trying to get away from mama and tried to pull away and it just popped out. we went to the ER and the dr. popped it back in. it was awful! she did scream. but, the pain was gone when it got fixed. my dil felt so bad, but it just happens in kids a lot. they have very loose ligaments. but, she is perfectly fine now, but it can happen again.
anyway, it is friday again, can't believe it. the days just go soooo fast! summer is 1/3 over already.

well, my plan is to workout hard the next 2 days to make up for my rushed workout this week. i am hoping to be able to be around here a bit more this weekend and catch up on everyone.

Friday

Hi all,

I will be leaving for Niagara Falls Ontario sometime this afternoon, spending it there with friends from out of town We are all meeting there for 2 days. It will be fun.

Garance, you get new shoes each September? Do you always get Rykas? The ones that Cathe used to wear ( maybe she still does) are getting harder and harder to find. I get them on Ebay ( of course!), there is a woman that sells them that is pretty well known among the Cathe crowd.

Valerie, I am still amazed at what your DH and you can do!

Josie, I will try to get back on the horse. I am sure the girls and I will be doing some type of workouts tomorrow and Sunday at the hotel gym.

Cathy, How have you been feeling? ( besided the full stomach LOL!) It sounds like you have been better lately, able to do a lot of hard workouts. ..yes those ligaments can be loose, that is how mine was and it must have come out 10 times. But I was an adult when it happened the first time. I was doing pull overs on a bench at a gym and went too far down with the weight, felt a pop and started screaming. It was awful, but I was able to get it back in myself. After that it would come out at the strangest times, like taking a shower and reaching up to adjust the shower head, pop! I think all the shoulder work I have done over the years has built it up and it has not come out in years.

I will be back late Sunday, so if the first one here can start the new week's thread that would be great!

Take care and have a good weekend..

My yoga instructor always talks about her shoulder popping out and warning us to "keep our shoulders in the sockets" but this is a new one for me. I had no idea kids shoulders could pop out like that. I have very loose ankles that can wobble all over, but otherwise tight. DH is too... typical guy, him trying to do yoga or stretching is hilarious. I would think after popping out once, she's most likely to have it happen again. don't know for sure. poor kid! I ate too much this week too although I worked pretty hard and was still hungry. sometimes the day I work very hard I lose my appetite but about 2 days after I get incredibly huingry. wish I could control that better. good food, but too much of it.

Lynda, we watched about half of 'the arrangement " last night. excellent movie , one of the best in a long time! no problems with the dialogue. It's a quiet movie and there a few expressions I missed because they're unfamiliar words but thank you for recommending it. If several people aren't talking at once, or a lot of background noise, I do fine. so many movies, so much junk. I love finding a good one. we'll finish it tonight. some nights DH gets home too late to watch more than half a movie. not my preference but he needs to go to bed early so he can get up and work out at 4:30 and I don't argue with that.

Deb hope the hotel gym has decent equipment. usually hardly anything works! I'm always disappointed but it's better than nothing. I always use hand sanitizer after, don't trust the hygiene in hotel gyms. I hate to get sick after traveling so I'm a maniac with the sanitizer in public places. and of course the remote in the room.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Just Dance, Petra Kolber (50 min.). I had a terrible bout of insomnia last night and I probably would have just gone on sleeping this morning except for one of the cows bawling her head off at her calf.

Deb, after reading somewhere that Rykas are manufactured specifically for a woman's foot and to prevent pronating (which I do a lot), I just started wearing them. I haven't had any problems with any of the pairs I have bought, though I always must make sure that I buy one half-size up. Have fun with your friends! Niagara Falls is so sublime!

Cathy, I have heard of Osgood Schlatter disease in the knees of growing children--happens after a growth spurt. My younger son had this problem, and it has something to do with growth plates in the bone. Never heard of loose ligaments though in children. Sounds really painful.

Valerie, I think Arranged is a little gem of a film. I usually teach materials from a variety of feminist theorists on mothers and mothering for Tumbleweeds. I love the scene where she is teaching Eva how to kiss and the one where she fusses with her hair in front of a mirror. It's also so interesting that she tells her friend that her first marriage was to get away from her mother and that flight is always her response to the loss of a boyfriend.

You are totally hardcore, Josie! Still cannot believe you did that bike trip. I don't even have a bike anymore. I have thought about getting one, but there is absolutely no way I could get it up the steep hill we live on.

I will try to get our thread started on Sunday if I am the first. Starting meso 3.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.