Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/14

deb, could you send us some of the rain, please????? and, you do need to be careful, did not know you had back surgery. just do what you can w/out pain. what do ya'll think?
since there are just a few of us, where do ya'll live? i am in s. texas. new braunfels whre we are baking to a crisp this summer. VERY HOT AND DRY! been 100 every day this week.

and yes, i did start STS, i will be doing disc 3 tomorrow, did 65m functional cardio w/lots of core today.

congrats josie on the compliments. it is alwasy nice for people to notice when you work so hard. and i agree. give us the scoop on your training sessions. :)

lynda, i know you have already told me ,probably, but we are pentagenarians, don't forget. LOL!
where do you live and do you farm just hay or other stuff, animals?

i wish we could get 3 days of rain down here. hay is soooo expensive becuz of the last 2 very dry years here. i am so thankful i have 65 acres for my horses to roam on. somehow they stay fat even w/out much to eat out there. they are quarter horses, so they are easier keepers than alot of breeds.

well, i have rattled enough, better get up and get something done.:)
cathy

Hi Ladies,

Training day with Kevin plus a 45 minute walk. It has been warm and humid for the last 2 days and hopefully we will get a sunny weekend for Fathers day.

I will have my GS's over starting tomorrow and I know that I will be busy running after them.

Cathy, I live in Los Angeles and we also have not had much rain, but I do not envy you.
I used to live in Juarez, Mexico when I was a kid and I remember those hot summers.
I posted one of my workouts on page 2 of this thread.

Deb, Sorry to hear about your baby being sick. I hope that she gets better.

Joan, How often do you weigh yoursel?

Garance, I'm loving the circuit training and it is working so far.

Josie

hey josie, yep, you know what i mean, then. how fun, we are having our grandchildren tomorrow and sat. too. definitely no workout, but we will be riding and possibly swimming, so, i will not be resting at all. :) is juarez on the cal. border? i have only been to the texas border. del rio, laredo, um, and what is it across from mcallen. cant' remember.
hey everyone else, how ya'll doin?
cathy

josie, your workout sounds alot like THe Firm workouts. have you ever done them? between cathe and the firm, i have done all the excercises that are posted or put in any magazine or online excercise site. everytime i read about doing a workout, it is like the ones we do here and on the firm.
cathy

TGIF!!

Good Morning!

I did another Couch to 5K jog/walk this morning. It seems to be getting a tiny bit easier, but not much! I think I will repeat this weeks workouts, instead of upping to next week's plan levels.

It rained all day yesterday, and it looks like it rained over night as well. Our grass is going to be a foot long!

Garance, good that your DH got the hay cut. It must be pretty frustrating after all the work he does. We should get the blood work results on Kelsey's thyroid levels today. I hope that is what has been making her so sleepy. Keegan still tries to get her to play, and she has been so out of it, she basically ignores him. I think you should stick with STS the way you have been, especially since the timing works out so well with your upcoming vacation. I have no suggestions on what to do next, I will be in that same place in a few weeks. I think I might start STS over, this time knowing what to expect it might be even more fun.

Cathy, I am in Buffalo, NY. right on the Canadian border. Have you had horses all your life? I can't imagine having 65 acres to roam around in!:eek:. I am an old "Firmie" too. it was how I started weight training. I think the first 6 workouts were the best. It went down hill after that. I am so glad I found Cathe.

Josie, the circuits seem to be working for you! Of course, running after GS's is a workout all in itself!:D

Any plans for the weekend? It will be a sad day for me on Sunday..:(.
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/#
waving Hi to Joan & Linny...

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Cathy--

This morning I did Leslie's 4 Fast Miles (59 min.) with my vest on to add intensity.

Cathy, I live in western Massachusetts, very close to Vermont and not far from Albany, NY. It's a college town--Williams College, Williamstown--and I am a professor of English and Women's and Gender Studies. DH is a farmer with 135 acres, mostly woods, on the side of a mountain. He raises grass-fed beef and has a small herd of cows (7 ladies and a bull), and he raises annually about 20 piglets. He also sells a lot of wood and cuts hayfields from town land and a local horse stable.

Deb, I saw a very interesting piece in the NYTimes about abs work, and how the crunch as it is being done is really bad for the back. This doctor had 4 exercises for the back which I think I might try. His crunch was to lie on your back with your hands supporting your lower back, one leg flat, one bent, and then gently lift your upper body, keeping the back straight. Another was the sideways plank Cathe does. Another was hands-and-knees extending opposite leg and arm and then moving leg out and hand out to make the points of a square. The final one was on a stability ball--a plank with elbows on the ball, legs extended and then making circles with the elbows. None of them calls for cervical bending which he says is really bad.

In-laws coming over for Father's Day. Not sure what my sons are up to with their Dad.

Have fun everyone!

Hi Ladies,

I will be training with Kevin in the AM and maybe taking my spinning class if my DD can baby sit for me while I work out. Sunday will be spinning only.

My mom and dad are comming over to celebrate father's day and to see the GGS's on Saturday.

Deb, I know that it will be a sad day for you on Sunday, but just celebrate his life and the time that you had together.

Garance & Deb, I do some of the ab work that you mentioned. I love it because it seems like you are not working your abs at all, but it is working for me.

Cathy, Juares is on the border of El Paso, Texas. I was born there. I have never tried the Firm.

Hi Joan.

Have a great weekend every one!

Josie

Saturday

Good morning all,

Today is a rest day for me....house stuff, errands etc. It is gloomy and rainy again..when will we get a decent block of weather? This was a horrible spring, and summer does not promise to be much better.

Garance, I went over to the NY times site and saw that article about the ab work, it had a video link too, very interesting. Thanks for the tip..maybe we should do these during the breaks in the leg workout? Will your sons be there on Sunday?

Josie, you have a busy weekend planned, enjoy your family!

Hi to Joan, Cathy and Linny!

Deb

wow lynda, i bet it is beautiful there. never been up there. it is not very nice here right now. just rode out in my pasture and all the grass is brown and crunchy. it is just awful. i'm originally from east tenn. and i am always amazed when i go there how beautiful and full the grass is and the gorgeous trees. it's a bit different down here. but, then we don't have the winters ya'll have.. the field next door to us is planted in hay grazer and it just looks awful. parts of it are only about 4" high and it is turning brown. it is so sad. don't know what cow people are gonna do for hay. it is so expensive to buy down here. i lonly have 3 horses and they manage somehow to stay fat. i am thankful, though, cuz it doesnt' cost me much to keep them. i really don't like the summers down here. they are miserable. my granddaughter and i were out riding this morning and we came in by 11. just too hot! we usually can stay out til about 1, but this summer is brutal.

deb, i know too much rain is bad , too, but if you could see what it looks like down here,you'd be glad you're gettin rain. where do you live?

anyway, speaking of riding, i need to remember NOT to do STS legs the day before i ride. i am soooo sore i can hardly move. i am more sore this time than the first time i did it. wonder why? i did focus a lot more on my form this time. i wonder if that is why. i seem to have forgotten how hard meso 1 is.
have a good weekend, see ya later if i don't bake
cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.