Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/8

Today I did Ripped with Hiit Low Impact Hiit #2, 30 minutes, 198 calories. I went on to do Sharon Twombly Zero to Sixty pre-mix zero to 26 all combos which included the abs, and no stretch 26 minutes, 131 calories. I finished with yoga from fitness blender , 14 minutes, 26 calories. The UPS truck came after this and I got Ice Chiseled Upper Body and Low Impact Sweat. I did Icy Core #1 just to check it out :) 11 minutes, 39 calories. Total time was 81 minutes, calories burned 394 calories.

Deb, the first time I bought coconut aminos I had to go to a nutrition market. Now I see it in a lot more stores. They are usually used to replace soy sauce in recipes and they are also gluten free. It just gives a bit of flavor. I use it and fish sauce in a lot of my stir frys. I am still not sure what the problem is. I woke up last night again with stomach cramps. I had to try to sleep rolled up on my side. It is odd because it seemed to let up till the early morning hours. I tried to be sure I ate something different yesterday for the most part. Something is not agreeing with me.

Valerie, I could almost get the levitation hold with at least 1 foot off the floor and my rear. Then Cathe starts doing them with the legs straight out in front and I knew that was never happening for me. I think most of those things came out in the newspapers years ago more than on television. When I was growing up and lived in Arizona there was a guy that went into a beauty college and killed a whole bunch of women. It was all over the papers. The family lived two streets over from us and my brother was good friends with their younger son. I remember my mother taking me over there to visit with the mom afterward and I think she was a real basket case. She was so shaky and when she drank tea the cup would rattle when she would try to sit it on the saucer. We didn't go over there much after that. I think they finally moved away.
That is nice that the reception went well.

Lynda, our weather has been beautiful here lately. They are still saying storms this weekend though. I keep hoping that they veer off another direction and disappear. Maybe some light rain without the severe weather would be nice. People are still trying to clean up from the last bout of activity.

Did, anyone else see Cathe's announcement for the new fit tower and 3 workouts combo ?

Last edited:
Lynda, I always assume I'll be toning down the heat for Mr Delicate. I can add a little more to my portion if needed. Is the red pepper paste the one in the clear jar, green lid, called Uncle Chen? 1 TB is a lot..it would be zippy if it's like the brand I mentioned.
we've had a lovely stretch of weather but sort of occupied with other things. I never did get out to do the shopping but decided what to cook and made my shopping list.

I found some very nice acrylic wine glasses at Target on Tuesday. they had some stemless ones but they were 2x as much. I don't like "glass" drinkware outdoors if possible. in fact with a big group, I like acrylic, even indoors. if someone drops something, it's no biggie, just up the liquid.... compared to broken glass shards all over the place. these were $2.49 each. they are supposed to be top shelf DW safe but I've had problems with acrylic before so will hand wash these. I like these a lot and so did my guests. I don't understand why someone doesn't make a disposable wine glass but I've never come across one. acrylic etches in the DW.

ETA I don't like coconut very much, oil or milk. a few things I use it in. I tried coconut milk as a replacement for almond milk but pitched it. coconut milk has a weird mouth feel to me. I know it's popular now but I usually sub anything else.

Lee Kim Kee chili garlic sauce

I swear it is not as hot as it used to be, but I love me some hot and add to mine after served. Kim likes it not as hot. You can get this most places, but Amazon never fails.

Good evening ladies,

This morning I did not do the intended Spring Challenge since it was an upper body and core. We were doing both at lunch and you all know I only do what is necessary for core work and there is no way I would do 2 core workouts in one day! This morning was a couple of SB lower targets and I finished up with her bis and tris then a pretzel target. Was about 50 minutes when I was done and burned 279 calories. Love those ankle weights!

It was very sad what happened at the restaurant. The server that was stabbed 3 times was also pregnant. The baby is fine thank God but she has had to undergo several surgeries since. Poor thing. As a Company we will do whatever we can for her. She is concerned about losing her job if you can believe that!!!!

Judy...thanks for the link! I knew I read it somewhere. I did it tonight and I still can get up with out using my hands!

Diane Sue...I did not mind using the containers at all. But I am a very bland eater so it worked well for me. Although I do like spicey and hot food every now an then. A coworker is thinking about starting the 21 day fix diet on Monday and I am thinking about joining her. I just starting using coconut oil and so far liking it. I saw Cathe's announcement and glad she is bringing back the tower. I know so many people wanted it. At one time I was interested but not any longer. I have my portable barre that is adjustable to all the heights she showed in her video and a wall mounted barre. Also, I do not have a barbell any longer - gave it to my son. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Deb...I think you would really like the 21 day barre legs. Like I mentioned it is not your typical barre workout and yes it is about 30 minutes. All our lunch workouts need to be 30 minutes or less and the 21d fits well. Thanks for explaining the "cheeks".

Valerie..yes I agree about the media and technology. Glad the reception went well and it sounds like it was very nice. I will look into those target wine acrylic glasses. I need something like that for our outside patio. I am not worried about guest it is more me. I am not so graceful once I have a glass of wine!

Lynda...it has been all over the news here. Who knows why this guy went off like he did and we may never know. I Love Cardio Core Circuit! I really do not remember the Vietnam war other than when it ended. I remember a bunch of the neighborhood kids (included me and my brothers) running around the neighbor hood clanging pots and pans in celebration. I have not seen the weather and sad to hear a cold spell is coming!!!

Have a great night!

Lori, I did later find most of the recipes on Beach Body's Blog had the color codes for the containers. I found a few recipes I still use in the Fixate cookbook. I wish it had more Paleo friendly recipes though. Some I made but skipped out the waffles for bread and croutons. I really like the Mexican taco meat. I make that one a lot and have it on zucchini or salads. Also I have made the chili but I don't eat beans often so left a lot of them out. I have better chili and soup recipes than that but, again I would have to spend time trying to figure the containers out. I am crious about the nutrition in the 21 Day Fix Extreme set. I love doing core work :)

I love coconut and coconut milk as long as it is not sweet. I have made my own nut milks and my favorites were cashew, almond, and hazelnut. I did not care for Brazil nut milk. It is a bit time consuming doing it with cheesecloth an a strainer to get all of the pulp out. I saved the pulp in the freezer and would use some of it in banana bread and muffins. Hazel nut milk with a bit of maple syrup and vanilla was a real nice coffee creamer. Most almond milk in cartons I have not cared for. The best is Califa Farms. I go out of my way to get that brand in both coconut milk and almond milk or the combined.

Hi Everyone,

I went to the dermatologist today for a rash on my leg. He thinks I have shingles :( He did a skin scraping and will have the results next week. In the mean time he gave me a prescription for Acyclovir and a skin cream. I've never had shingles before and wasn't expecting this.

Yesterday I did SB Total Body Barre and today I did the Hip Opener and some stretching.

Deb-I really got a good stretch with the hip opener today. I think I got a little further than the last time.

Lori-That is so horrible what that man did :( So sad and devastating for the victims and their families. Thanks for sending the challenge. I am really enjoying the SB workouts. Thanks again for updating the Live workouts. That is so helpful!

Valerie-I can do the sitting and standing test, but those levitation holds are tough.

Lynda-That recipe sounds pretty good! I used to love hot and spicy foods.

Diane Sue-I hope your stomach is better. I saw the announcement for the Fit Tower and the new workouts. I think I might preorder, depending on the price.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin,

Judy

Judy, I had shingles a long time ago, long before there were anti viral meds. It wasn't pleasant but it wasn't that awful. it happens on one side, and if it's an area clothing goes over, the clothing irritates it. skin gets so sensitive. mine was on my upper left hip and it was unpleasant. I was off work for about 2 weeks, mostly because panty hose were not "optional" back then, and I could not get them on. the antivirals work quite well if you catch it early on. Sorry to hear you need to deal with this. I at first thought I'd backed into some poison oak, but there was no way to treat it way back in the early '80's. You should do fine but it was smart to get it looked at right away as treatment works best if caught early.

I did 20 min uphill on the treadmill, then a premix of ch,ba, sh, and core 1. about an hour 15min, but pretty intense. i tried to do levitation holds for years and never could budge a fraction of an inch. I forgot to try the standing up cross legged thing today. a busy day. one department might want out frozen bat anyway, and DH decided not to send it out with the trash so he's still in the freezer.

Good morning & Happy Friday.

No workout yesterday, I did yard work and called it a day. It's been raining all night. We really needed it. The ground was so hard yesterday, it was tough to pull the weeds. Also have this strange pain in my calf, does not feel muscular and is radiating down to my foot and ankle. It came on suddenly yesterday for no reason. I could not put any weight on my leg. About an hour after, it disappeared, I went food shopping etc, did the yard work, then it was back last night again before I went to bed. Ibuprofen worked immediately and it went away again...not sure what is going on.

Valerie, nice that your reception turned out well. Where are you going in Montana? I cannot do any levitation holds...not one stinkin' inch off the ground. I never tried actually drinking coconut milk, but I like it in things like oatmeal...just a tablespoon or so, makes it more creamy. Agree, acrylic is better to use outdoors for sure.

Lynda, the news that I saw online said that the man that did that killing spree was depressed and had been diagnosed with a mental disorder just a few days before, or something like that. I was surprised at how much he could do with a knife before being subdued. Good that there was someone with a gun there to stop him. Yes, we are not able to hear and see all kinds of things, some of which I wish they would not show...ugh....the Yahoo home page is like reading The National Enquirer. The most I remember about the Vietnam war was the draft by number at the time and watching and waiting to see what everyone's number was. Also, the ones scrambling to get a SD....student deferral...or talking about going to Canada.

Diane Sue, I sure hope whatever is going on with your stomach etc gets better soon....I know you do not like to go to the DR, but you may want to think about it.

Lori, that is awful about that poor woman...I hope she is better soon. I can't believe she would be worried about her job. I read about the new Tower...it looks pretty much like the old one, but she said it is more sturdy. The DVD's are more basic according to her FB post, and you will be able to get them without the tower. Maybe I should start the 21DF diet...I should so something..I don't know how I would do on the "standing up crossed leg" test since I can't even cross my legs when sitting on the floor.

Judy, how horrible for you! I have never had shingles but have heard/read that it can be very painful. Good that you went and caught it early.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin,

Mammogram today, that is all that is on the "have to do" list...

Take care,

I know shingles can be painful, and it was unpleasant. some people get it in facial nerves and it's more troublesome there. as long as I didn't wear snug clothing, I was not that bothered but mostly due to the location. the rash was painful but if I wore loose clothing like sweats, I was OK. I did get the shingles vaccine as soon as I was eligible for it. I'm not sure if it was at 62? I think so. at any rate, it's another really good reason for kids to be vaccinated to avoid chicken pox because that will prevent having it reactivate as 'shingles" later in life.
Deb, we will maybe do a road ride in Idaho and then we are going to near the north end of Yellowstone where our property is. we will meet our builder and then hike or ride depending on weather. it won't be a long trip.

I love almond milk, the 60 calorie one. I tried the almond/coconut mix but didn't like it, and the "all coconut" one I tried and finally pitched. there are issues with rice milk as rice all has arsenic, and so not something I would want every day. I save my rice for use as a grain. anyway, coconut has a weird mouth feel that I hated, found it undrinkable. I like regular nonfat milk. has more protein than the nut milks, and I like my nonfat milk lattes. I use almond milk on oatmeal or other cereal.

that is strange about your leg pain. is it swollen or discolored?

Hi,

Not swollen or discolored ( although I always have small bruises on my legs, not sure where they come from, I must be a clutz and don't realize I am bumping into things). It seems to have gone now...but I was concerned since my brother has had blood clots in his legs and we both have a blood clotting disorder...(Factor V syndrome)...

Hi everyone--

This morning I did Metabolic Mashup Live (51 min.).

Does anyone know what workout Cathe did yesterday?

Judy, like Valerie, I did get the shingles vaccine as soon as it was available. I am not sure, but I think they keep lowering the age to get it. For some people shingles is a nuisance and only slightly painful, but I have heard of others where the pain can be almost intolerable. You were fortunate to go to your doctor early and get some immediate attention. My husband takes acyclovir for cold sores and it really prevents them. I hope that works for you.

Lori, so your company is a distributor and/or owner of the restaurant where this server worked? I don't think I realized how closely affected you were by this. What a horror! I hope everything works out for her.

Deb, I bruise easily too. I hope it's nothing serious. How would you describe the pain--achy or sharp? Good luck on the mammogram!

Diane Sue, I saw the news about the tower, but I am definitely not interested. It takes up a lot of space and since I sold STS, I only use it for barre and wish I had a barre instead of a tower. If Cathe sells the dvds separately I might buy them.

Valerie, have a lovely trip!

Hi to Josie and Caitlin!

Hi Everyone,

Chris had the day off today so we went to breakfast then did some shopping in Birmingham. I wasn't sure I wanted to go but I'm glad we did.
I feel kind of groggy and have a headache, I think from the medicine.

Deb-I hope that's nothing serious with your leg. I think you should get it checked out just to be safe.

Valerie-I will have to think about getting the vaccine. My rash is pretty small and it's on my left thigh. I have had some weird sensations, like a little tingling and some pain. Nothing too significant. I hope it doesn't get worse.

Lynda-I'm glad I went as soon as I did. The doctor said it could have gotten worse if I would have waited until next week.

Hi to Lori, Josie, Diane Sue & Caitlin!

Judy

Today I did Ice Chiseled upper body 42 minutes, 189 calories and Ice Sweat muscle meltdown back, 21 minutes, 89 calories. I finished off with Ice Sweat Cardio workout #1, 28 minutes, 176 calories. 91 minutes, 454 calories. I liked all of the workouts. I am glad that I purchased them. I am tired today. I woke at 4:30 with a headache. At least the other issues did not appear. I had to leave before 7 this morning to get my granddaughter to school to leave and help with special Olympics. It was hard getting the 5 year old up.
Chiseled Upper Body I may be off a bit on reps because they are not listed on the workout card
swinging military press 1 set 12 reps 8# pair dumbbells
triple dead row /triple upright row/ shrug 1 set 10# pair 4 reps then 4 reps with the shrugs added
windmills 1 set right thn 1 left 8 reps started with 8# and dropped to 5#. I used to use much heavier with the kettlebell I felt like a wimp
overhead press/overhead extension 1 set 8# pair 8 reps 6 quick/ 2 slow
forward tilt bent arm lateral raise 2 sets 8# pair 8 reps/6 reps
rotational row 2 sets 15# pair 16 reps (?)
discus throw 2 sets 5# 12 reps on right then 12 reps on left
mat
3 curls 1 press 1 set 8# pair reps ?
triceps push up with leg lift 3 sets 16, 8, 4
rear delt raise with leg extension 2 sets 5# 12 reps each side
chest fly with leg extension 2 sets 10# each hand 16 reps
pullover extensions 3 sets 8# pair 16 right, 16 left, 8 both feet extension
bear crawl plank walks 1 set 8 reps 4 right/4 left
high plank descents
high plank descents wid arm
Muscle Melt down Back Giant set 3 rounds 12 reps
1 arm row 25# right 25#
pullover 25#
1 arm wide row 25# right then left
1 arm pullover 15# right then left
Deadlift 25# pair
3 rounds same weights throughout

Judy, the antivirals work best if they get taken before the virus gets settled in. Lynda, that's right... widely varying levels of discomfort. It always seemed like the facial nerves were the most troublesome.

Deb, I was thinking too about a DVT. I had a minor one in my left shoulder a number of years ago. no discomfort except a slight tingling feeling in the arm and it seemed slightly off in color. I got it from pressure from a pack strap from a backpack while bike riding. the pressure on the blood vessels where the pacer wires go thru, narrowing it somewhat. I am really careful with that side now and never allow pack straps to press in that area. so if you are.......... for whatever reason ............. prone to getting clots you may want to have it checked. I know of clotting factors but I don't remember much about factor V. I had to be anticoagulated for several months but it settled down and I don't need to take anything anymore. I am very careful about pressure on that shoulder. I use waist packs or sling packs usually.

did a road ride today 33 miles, hands weren't too much bothered today. lovely weather.

Lori that must feel awfully "close to home". all the crazies out there!. seems we've swung too far away from institutionalizing dangerous people. they can't be relied on to take the meds they need to take.

I have an older tower. we use it regularly, it works fine, I won't be getting a new one. I got sore even from the quickie ch, ba, sh workout. I need to be way more regular with upper body. I've been relying on biking and it doesn't work upper body much.

Good evening ladies!

This morning was SB Cardio Interval, followed up with Avd quick Hiit. Two good little workouts. The plan was to do the second half of Cathe's most recent Live tonight but came home and had a nice glass of my favorite cab wine waiting for me. Indian Wells. Love this wine. So needless to say my husband wasn't in the mood to work out and knows if he has a glass of wine waiting for me (after this week) I would be done in!

Judy...oh I am so sorry to hear you may have shingles. Hoping it moves along quickly and you'll be back to yourself on know time.

Deb...yes the guy had some mental issues going on. After he crashed the car into Macys and attacked a few people he went into Bertucci's and grabbed one of the kitchen knives (this restaurant has an open kitchen so I am sure it was not that difficult to do) and started slashing that poor girl. All the attackes were random. We may never know what provoked the killer. Hope your mamo went well. I do not bruise easily. I have to really wack myself to bruise. Hope your leg is better soon.

Lynda...I am Office Manager for the Corporate Office of Bertucci's. We are a privately owned Company and I have been here 23 years. This really affected everyone at the office as we are all close and know all the managers of the restaurants and many of the servers. I did not know this server personally but we are all part of the Bertucci's family if this makes sense. The first part of the past live workout is Step and does not interest me at all. I do like the second half and can see me adding this on to a workout. I love my portable Barre. Bought it on amazon. The barre itself is 4ft and the height is adjustable.

Diane Sue...I think the 21d extreme diet plan is the same as the original. I could be wrong though. I am looking forward to starting it again. I do have her cookbook and plan to look thru it this weekend. Aren't those muscle meltdown's great add ons?

Valerie...can't wait to hear about your trip. How is your leg? Still healing well? I will not be buying the tower and I may wait on buying the DVD's. Sounds like the intensity would not be what I would want.

Hi to Josie!

Getting up at 4:30am tomorrow to bring a friend to Logan Airport (1 hour and 20 mins) from our home. Then driving to New Bedford (hour from Logan) to meet my younger brother for breakfast. Afterwards, we are planting flowers on our parents grave. When done I am driving from New Bedford to home (2 hours). Thank goodness for Audible books!

Judy, I just talked to my brother this last week and he has shingles. You are lucky. He has a very bad case an one side of his face and eye are not working well. He ended up with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He is so stubborn and tried to drive to work when very sick. He said he couldn't even think straight and passed work by 40 miles. When he finally got there they knew something was wrong with him and called his family. He went home and slept for 3 days. He is seriously run down. Very thin and works very hard. I am worried about him.

Deb, I hope there is nothing serious going on with your leg.

Lorie, I bet that it really was hard knowing the people that were there when the man started attacking. I have had others mention getting a barre from Amazon that was similar to what Cathe had. I always made due with something else. I used to have a dip station that I would use for dips and leg/ knee raises we bought from a gym that was buying new equipment. I would put a bar across it and use it for some moves.

Lynda, it would be nice if they would sell the dvd's separately. I didn't think Cathe was selling equipment anymore though. I remember looking to replace my bands and tubing and I didn't see them there anymore. I liked that the bands were latex free so if my grandchildren played with them they didn't expose my daughter to latex when they went home. She is highly allergic to it.

Good morning!

Mammo went well, all is good according to the radiologist and tech. I spend a good amount of time in the attic yesterday, and many trips up and down from there to the yard with stuff to toss into the trash. It felt really good, getting rid of a lot of old never used things. There is still a lot to go through. Next is the Christmas stuff...way too much that is never used.

Valerie, I like the vanilla unsweetened almond milk for oatmeal and sometimes with protein powder as a shake. I never got or thought to get the shingles vaccine. I also do not get flu shots. Do you have some plans for building for the house that you want on your property? Thanks for the info...I am going to see if the pain comes back....maybe a strain of some sort that I was not aware of.

Lynda, have you had shingles or do you get the shot just as a preventative? The pain in my leg was sharp, not like DOMS...strange. It has gone now...hopefully! I may look at the new DVD's but not the Tower...I still have mine too. It is a little rickety, the floors in our basement are not exactly level, so John got a block that I have to put on one side to make it level...makes it hard if I want to move it around.

Judy, did the DR suggest the vaccine? I would think you would get it after yours clears up...but not sure about that.

Diane Sue, wow, so sorry about your brother...that is really scary. yes the ICE series is one of my favorites too...I really like most of the workouts, except the KB and To the Mat.....but that is just my preference for weight work...they are good workouts if you like that type of exercise. Then the added Muscle Meltdowns are perfect if you want to do a "one body part per day" type rotation. Cathe mentioned that she was in this project with another company so I guess it is not really her selling the Tower...she is just doing the exercise part. Yes, the DVD's will be available separately.

Lori, after the week you have had, a glass of wine with Bob was just what you needed! Can you post a link to the portable barre you got on Amazon? I don't think these new DVD's would be anywhere near as intense as SB workouts...way too easy for you I would imagine. That is a nice day planned for today, and yes, audible books are the way to go!

Agility class this morning, then hitting the yard with weeding. Since it rained it should be a lot easier to pull weeds.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far.

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Last night I really felt bad. The acyclovir is giving a headache and I don't have much appetite. I slept from 7-10 pm then got up for a couple of hours and went back to bed and slept until 8 am. This is the most I've slept in years. Maybe that's a good side effect. I will be getting a lot of rest this week. I hope I feel like doing some light workouts too. I hate not working out.

Deb-I'm going to ask him about the vaccine when I go back next week. I'm also going to call our primary care doctor this week and talk to him about it.

Diane Sue-I'm so sorry about your brother. I don't blame you for being worried. That is really scary about him driving to work so sick. I've been reading about shingles and I do feel very fortunate that it is on my leg and not my face or near my eyes.

Lori- I just looked up Bertucci's. I wish we had one here. Looks like a great restaurant. I need to look at getting a portable barre too.

Valerie-great ride! I hope that I got my prescription soon enough for it to work. I noticed the rash Tuesday morning and was using otc cortisone cream on it. Thursday morning I called the dermatologist and saw him in the afternoon and started the pills that night.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Deb you should re-think the shingles vaccine. It isn't 100 % effective but so many people get shingles and like diane sue's example, it can be a very big deal. incidence of shingles goes up after about age 60 because our immune systems are not as strong as they once were. If you had chicken pox as a kid, you already have the dormant virus. the shingles vaccine revs up your immunity to the specific virus so even if you get shingles, it's less severe. I had shingles in my 20's. I was 60-62 or so when I got the vaccine, and if I remember right, insurance covered it completely. at the time I think there was an age limit on what insurance would cover but that's along time ago. I got it at a pharmacy, seems like pharmacists do all injections these days. . It reduces the chance of getting shingles, and if you get it anyway, it's less severe. a good deal for most people. http://www.zostavax.com/zostavax.xhtml?&MTD=2&CPN=2&ENG=1&ADG=47&gclid=CL_Ll9z62cwCFYqPfgodBQ4HBw
Keep an eye on the leg too...

we're going to MT this week, meeting with the builder and getting some preliminary stuff done. this is very rural, believe me. we have plans in hand that we had drawn up. we need to arrange for power to be hooked up and a well sunk, never did any of this before. learning as we go. first the road needs to be cleaned up a little, got brushy and overgrown and might need some gravel.

Lori, my leg seems fine. After all the therapy exercises, I became much more aware of engaging glutes especially, and think about it often when riding. when I rode before, I was pushing with my knee and not glutes and hams. I don't know how I got that habit, but I think maybe an old bike that didn't fit quite right. my old bike was a little small for me and my posture is better on my newer road bike. once I was doing it wrong, I continued and it gradually pulled my knee cap slightly sideways and caused the problem. at least that is my theory.... we haven't done that much hiking yet this year, but in all normal activities, and running on the treadmill, it seems 'normal" now.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.