Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/16

Thursday

Good Morning!

I just finished CLX Push Circuit 3. I am not quite sure why this is called a circuit, it is all weights, no cardio. There are cardio workouts in the program, which I have never even looked at. I have one more week of this circuit, then the Lean month begins. Unfortunately I will be travelling next week to Washington so I unless I do 3 weight days in a row, I will have to put the last week off for another week.

Kathy, I am not sure if I have CC 5, but I am going to check and if I don't I will download it.

Garance, I am going to tell my uncle about that wrist band, he has terrible carpel tunnel in both hands. He was a truck driver for many, many years and this was before they had power steering I think! :confused:

Josie, WTG on the donations!

Valerie, the turntable contraption that converts vinyl to CD was about $89.00. DH is having fun with it. I just want to get rid of all the old records, they take up too much space. I wrote down a couple of those plant names you mentioned that we don't have, always looking for new ones! An annual I love are giant zinnias...they make the best cut flowers.

Joan, you are our resident night owl! :D. I think I have those KCM workouts, thanks for reminding me about them! CLX is very similar, only it's a 90 day program and there are cardio workouts in it too.

I am only working a half day today, I took off to get a manicure and hair highlight, color, cut etc. I need it badly before my trip this weekend.

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, Valerie, and Kathy--

This morning I did BBL Sculpt (50 min.). Still cannot do those mermaids, especially when Max thinks I'm playing with him. I really like the way he guides you through the side planks, though.

Deb, I sent you a link from Amazon on the wrist band. It's Futuro Deluxe wrist brace. I wear mine every night and my hand doesn't ache and go numb on me anymore.

Josie, wow, that must make you feel very good to have raised so much money for a good cause.

Joan, I have KCM, too, but have not used it in quite awhile. I really like the legwork on BBL and P-57 too much to go back to squats and lunges. How's the diet going? How's your mom doing?

Valerie, our "lawn chemicals" are manure. Works great!! Actually, DH mixes it up with soil and lets this sit for a year and then uses it annually on our garden beds. Everything is growing like crazy this year. Just the right amount of rain.

Kathy, I will second Valerie's rec on the tower. I really love it on meso 3 for chest. I can load my barbell much heavier than formerly, lie down, and just lift it off the tower.

Hi to Cathy!

wow, it's hard to keep up with electronics. I might drag out the records and take a look. Do they need to be in great condition to record from? the music itself has aged well but the records are a bit beaten up.

Speaking of electronics, is there a way to re-record VHS tapes onto disk yourself? I know thereare professional services that do this but these are just older movies and not worth spending a lot.

Deb, our climate is pretty mild, those are standard nursery plants for this area. especially rhodies, azaleas. very low maintenance and easy to grow here. I know I can't grow zinnias because it's too cool and rainy in general, though I have a neighbor who has a more southern facing open lot and she does zinnias most years. I don't plant things the deer eat( roses) or anything else fussy.

Wow, Lynda your own manure source, you are lucky. we can get composted chick manure from a local business, just found it this year, and can get it by the truckload. using it too fresh will give you a weed nightmare. I prefer manure as a nitrogen source although it is stinky to work with.

LOL! i have never thought about being "lucky" having my own manure source. but, i guess it is good. we have horse & chicken , and old hay that makes good mulch.

kathy-i have been absent, so i don't know if you ever saw my post about where you are from in texas? i am in new braunfels.

sorry to be awol, busy,busy!

mon--did aerobic body shaping , then worked at the vet clinic for 6 hrs and logged 8 miles on my pedometer.
tues-500 calorie, and another 8 miles on ped.
wed. -outside w/grandkids, 7-8 miles on ped.
thurs. total muscle shaping.

i am soo tired today, i barely made it thru tms , i was very glad it was only 45 min. i can't believe it is almost the weekend again!! if i'm not around, ya'll have a good one. i am working again all day saturday.

Good afternoon,

No wo yet. Garance I know you are right about lunges and squats. My knees are killing me and I thought there weren't that many of them in dvd. Dm is same as usual. The test showed her circulation was good so it was not cause of leg pain. I really think back is causing leg pain. That is the pathway of the nerve.

BBL

Another *great* plant is japanese forest grass. I think it's perennial in most climate zones here but dies back in fall. It makes dense graceful clumps of yellow green striped leaves. It's about 12 inches tall and will make a clump maybe 24 inches across in a few years. I grow it in full sun or shade here. Its leaves curve up and over and looks lovely in edges and also from overhead. It is carefree and nobody, not even slugs or deer, eat it. If you buy one plant it in a good spot and you will be able to steal "starts" from it in a year. It makes a good size clump but doesn't self seed or get invasive. It comes in a plain yellow but the yellow green is nicer, IMO. So, that's my great plant pick for the week! It is also cheap, a nursery size clump selling for maybe $10. I bought several but wouldn't have needed to.

Everything is very green here, and sometimes the garden just looks too green, so red leafed and yellow leaved ( or leaved?) plants are a good way brighten things up and have some contrast.

Cathy, buying bagged manure is expensive! we have a big truck now so can get a bulk load fairly easily. someone with a regular passenger car will think twice before putting a dozen bags of stinky chicken manure in the tailgate. and at least one bag will leak, guaranteed.

LOL! yep, you are probalby right on that traildoggie! i used to work at a barn and brought home truck loads of manure/shaving mix. made great fertilizer, and got some good grass started in my back yard, until last summer when everything died from the drought.

it is so pretty this year, though. we have had so much rain, it is just lovely. losts of flowers and green grass so far. hope it keeps up.

Good Morninh!

Today I did a 35 minute I-Tread, only burned 224 calories. Either I am getting more fit, or my HRM is on the blink again. It's beautiful here right now, of course I will be going away Sunday, when I could be putting in plants etc.

Garance, thanks for the link, I sent it to my cousin, who is starting to have numbness in her hand, and my uncle, her Dad has really bad Carpel Tunnel in both hands.

Valerie, DH said that the better the records are, the better they come out. One of the big drawbacks is that if you record individual tracks, that is all you can put on the CD, so if you want to make a montage of sorts, you cannot do that, you have to copy the whole album, which I guess is the point. It does take out minor scratch sounds, but if the record is in really bad shape, it won't come out good on the CD. I had a combination DVD/VHS player that let you copy DVD to VHS tape but it came out awful and who wants more VHS anyway?

Cathy, I think your week looked good, and can see why you would be tired!

Joan, yes, back problems cause leg pain, I had a herniated disk at one time, and my back never hurt, but my leg killed me 24/7 for 10 months until I had the surgery.

Valerie, I will have to check out that Japanese Forest grass, and see if it does ok in this climate zone.

Hi tio Kathy & Josie,

Have a great day!

Morning!

Garance - I would love to do a Jazzercise workout - it has been a very long time since I did something like that! Thank you for the admiration :) that is really nice to read after a workout that wipes me out!!!!! Sorry your weather is yuk.

Josie - hope you had fun with the girls - Mondays and Wednesdays are heavy meeting days for me at work - enjoy :)

Traildoggie - I really want the tower especially after hearing about it, if I get a decent bonus I will get it - my DH took two cuts in pay in the past two years - and raising our GS - makes my toy buying slim - had I thought about it I probably could have got it for Mother's day!

JoanC - Would love to record all my old records onto CD - I have a lot of them and miss listening to them.

Deb - I missed that you were doing CLX - I almost did it instead of STS but I am using the meals from the CLX eating plan. Love getting my nails and hair done!

Drover - I love the New Braunfels area - I am in East TX - in the boonies - outside of Crockett - we live on a lake and we are about 3 hours NE of Austin and about 2 hours North of Houston.

I took a rest day yesterday - going to have to be on Thursdays - I have so many much to do on Wednesday nights that I need Tursday mornings to myself before everyone gets up - I have to do a little work at home. Today I did MMA Boxing - love it! It felt good to punch :) Disc 3 of STS for tomorrow.

I have written down all my food and am going to have to log it this weekend - I am pretty sure I will not have lost any weight this week - DH had a big week with a lot of business associates here and a lot of entertaining going on - I was really good but it is hard with all that and GS plays TBall - - Hope you all have a lovely day!

Deb we'd want to go from VHS to DVD. as far as I know you can't do it yourself but electronics changes so fast! It used to be easy to make one copy of a VHS movie for yourself. we have tons of copied VHS tapes, mostly older movies that we wouldn't mind seeing again but the quality is going. most of them never were re-issued in DVD format. It isn't worth the cost of going to a commercial service, if it even worked. sort of like cassette tapes. and of course 8 tracks before that. when my aunt sold her house and moved to assisted living we pitched boxes and boxes of 8 tracks. she loved the music on them but no way to play them or transfer them.
The machine the transfers the records.. thanks for asking DH.. does it have an actual turntable or does it read the music some other way? we are trying to clean out old stuff and I will see if I can find the box of records to check quality. there may even be a turntable in there!

In this months Fine Gardening mag (july/Aug)they have a good pic of jap forest grass on page 52. they call it a "classic performer in northeast gardens hardiness zones 5-9". I LOVE this plant. It doesn't flower just looks lovely and problem free.

Did a hard 15 min warm up on the stationary bike, 35 min hard on the treadmill and coremax 1. the biking has helped my cardio, I was able to do 2.5% grade, 4.2 mph ( I'm not a fast runner) on the treadmill and at the end got my heart rate up to 140. I haven't been doing as much on the treadmill lately with all the biking so I was happy with that.
Today I may do an STS leg disk and upper body #7. hope to hike this weekend so I can skip cardio today.

Good morning,

Valerie my dvd player can copy from vhs to dvd. If you want another vhs you can then copy dvd to vhs.

I wish I could find a better time to exercise than evenings. I'm not an early bird and I am usually too stiff in morning. It takes a while to loosen up during the day. If I'm too tired in evening then I don't wo.

I was surprised at how much lighter I had to start meso 2 than the last time. Meso 1 must have prepared me for weight in meso 2. Even at the weights I used, I had major doms.

Yesterday was just a short wo on wii. I hope to do disc 15 today.

Hi Ladies,

No wo for me today. I will be getting a facial after work and going out to dinner with my DH. The ride is only 15 days away, I'm starting to get butterflies in my stomach.

Tomorrow is a 77 mile ride in Orange County and Sunday will be a recovery ride of 35 miles.

I do not have anything to contribute about gardening, I do need to tell my gardener to plant new flowers in the front of the house.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, Valerie, and Kathy--

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Barefoot Cardio (48 min.).

My gardens are coming on strong, but I have to buy some annuals, too, and won't get to that until Memorial Day. I will look into that grass, Valerie.

Tomorrow I am giving an exam in my survey course, and that should be IT for another semester. I don't mind grading exams, because I don't have to comment on them, just give them the points they deserve and figure out a grade curve.

Josie, a 77 mile ride?! I bet your legs and butt are utterly curvaceous! Have fun with DH! (Aside: are you a Lakers fan? DH is hoping for a Celtics-Lakers final. I used to be a fan in the day of NBA basketball and loved the Celtics and Lakers match-ups, especially Bird-Magic.)

I am starting meso 2 on Sunday, Joan. I will do P-57 for legs, though.

Kathy, I had not done a Jazzercise routine either for a very long time. There used to be an instructor here back in the 80s. The Dancin' Abs is a lot of fun and I love the music.

So, Deb, who will win DWTS on Monday?

Hi to Cathy!

Saturday

Good morning all,

No workout today, my rest day. I have a lot of things to do before my trip tomorrow, including picking up things at the tailor, agility class, and packing.

Kathy, the Tower is good, especially for bench presses. I also used it for squats, so I did not have to lift the heavy bar over my head. The salon has this new system that uses and ultra violet light to dry this new gel stuff that makes the manicure last 2-3 weeks. As soon as you take your hand out from under the light, it is completely dry, you can do anything with it. Like take your keys out of your purse, which with a regular manicure is a disaster. I got a French manicure and I just love how this is lasting.

Valerie, the thing that DH has does have a turn table, you play the record on and it puts it on CD somehow. I never actually watched him do it.

Joan, I think my VHS/DVD player did the same thing, but I never tried it so I can't be sure. I bought it just so I could use one machine instead of having to have 2. If you went to bed earlier, got up earlier, maybe you could work out in late afternoon?

Josie, WOW 77 miles!

Garance, I think Nicole will win on DWTS. She is the best dancer, although she had lots of experience prior to the show. Lots of controversy about the level of experience some come to the show with, and others don't. That and the olympic skater controversy, that they are athletes and know how to train etc. I think Erin is good, too, and she had minimal cheerleader training, but she is not as sharp as Nicole.

Off to start getting things done here...will check in later...

Good evening,

Friday was disc 15. Meso 2 week 1 complete.:D Today was 40 min. on treadmill.

Deb I was thinking 1 or 2 o'clock to exercise because that's when I start to get really tired. Of course then I would need to take another shower.

Sunday and the rest of the week will be in the 90's. I hope the pool heater gets fixed soon the water is in the 60's- too cold for me.

Joan

hey ya'll, hope everyone is having a good weekend.
checking in w/ maximum cardio burn yesterday
and today was complete body shaping and an AWT circuit that one of the firm instructors made up. so, about a 65 min. workout today and i worked from 7:30-2:00 at the vet clinic.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.