Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/31/2024

Today I did a mixed step routine I put together, then for some reason decided to do the Stability Ball Abs from Body Fusion. It's a workout my husband picked up somewhere, he also got the other beginner set. I gave up in boredom after a few minutes of various crunches and did my own thing. Another dreary day her, though it isn't supposed to rain. We'll be getting more the next few days though.

Valerie Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. it was a decent day. yesterday was pretty active, today kind of a fluff off day. read paper, did all the puzzles I do, which is quite a few. I do Spelling Bee, Wordle, Connections, Jumble, and the big NYT crossword. I do most of these daily but the crossword is much smaller other days. we print some of them but the first 3 I do online. I can do crosswords online but paper is easier on big puzzles like sunday because you can cross out clues you've answered. played in the garden a little and planted some sweet peas. planned on a bike ride. it was sunny but didnt warm up quickly so somehow idea got dropped. did some cleaning and packing some things for our vacation. never did anything serious all day. it felt good to laze out a bit.

Today I did Rev’d Up Rumble for 41 minutes and 284 calories burned. Average heart rate 130 and maximum heart rate 160. I was all set up to do Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp Circuit but after several interruptions I gave up and did Rev’d Up Rumble instead. My husband needed help with several things and I couldn’t focus on the Bootcamp workout.

Valerie, a lazy day is fine occasionally. I do the Jumble from the local paper every morning while I have my coffee. Puzzles are one of those tools that helps to keep the brain sharp. My children tried to get me interested in Wordle, but I only tried it once. It didn’t make sense to me and I never went back to it.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Diane Sue.

Last night I did 30 minutes of Yin Yoga. This morning I did a 45 minute Peloton ride. I plan on doing some upper body strength work and shoulder PT later this afternoon.

Cathy-Great job with your mixed step routine and stability ball abs.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga/mobility work and Rev’d Up Rumble. I haven’t done the Strong and Sweaty workouts in ages. I need to revisit them. I’m with you on Wordle. I have some friends that love it but I just didn’t care for it. I do like other puzzle games and agree that they keep your brain sharp.

Valerie-It’s really nice to have a lazy day once in a while. I have the Elevate app on my phone. It has a daily crossword along with grammar, memory and math puzzles. I also use the Duolingo language app every day. I looked up Jumble and I like that one too. Thanks for mentioning it.

Hi to Diane Sue

Today was STS 2 Tri Sets Total Body and Mobility 2. I really do prefer Mobility 1. What was originally forecast as a dreary day has been sunny until just now when it's starting to get more clouds. Decent enough to walk with just a sweatshirt.

Valerie my four morning puzzles are Hurdle, Blossom, Waffle and Wordle. I sometimes get my start word for Wordle from the first three. I also will play Quordle and Octordle, but if you really want to get crazy try https://64ordle.au/ it's 64 words. LOL I will also admit to being a Charm King addict, cause I'm on level 10926. :eek:

Carolyn great job with Rev’d Up Rumble.

Judy nice job with the yoga and Peloton ride.

I do wordle with cousin and his wife every morning. I share a NYT subscription with them. he does wordle middle of the night and I do it early in the am, his wife later in the day. I'm decent at it, not great. my favorite is Spelling Bee. It works fine all by yourself and I love getting to queen Bee.
I noticed a few years ago that I was awful at anagrams. I always was bad at them, even way back in school, so I started doing Jumble every day. I'm better at it now. it keeps your brain working and thinking focused. I was always a good speller which helps with word games. Cathy I am not familiar with any games you mention other than Wordle. Judy I dont know about those either. I probably should not look! I spend too much time on puzzles already. I got more interested in games when the pandemic cleared every magazine out of waiting rooms. puzzles are good to do when you have time to kill and want something you can stop and start easily. I also like them for long drives. I read things to DH but cant do that for 12 hours. we have Sirius but most games you can do with music playing. because the signal drops off during the drive, we print a few days worth of puzzles ahead of time from the local paper. the NYT has crosswords puzzles you can do online but if the signal drops, its irritating.

carolyn, boot camp is the workout I miss most. I think I can probably do it again soon. I'm about 5 months out now and I was waiting for 6 months on fast bending/twisty moves.
we have another nice sunny day so we mt biked. did the tree farm and this time did a longer ride. not as long as planned because we got to a blocked road (due to active logging) so had to back up and pick another route. ended up going up the big hills 2x. 2 hours. I forgot to look at mileage, about 6.5. this was about as hard as I usually do. we are hoping to do some mt biking on our way to Utah so will probably ride again this week. Judy I hope you can do some outdoor biking this year. you get the fitness from indoor spinning but outside is so much more fun and rtidign skills need to be practiced. .
one thing Ive noticed road biking lately is almost everyone showing up has a bike with an Electric motor. our road rides are "relatively" flat. a little gentle uphill and down but nothing needing a motor. this almost totally eliminates the 'exercise" part of riding. What are they thinking?? think you can exercise without exercising? what happens is people go much faster than they should for the population which includes a lot of walkers, runners, dog walkers.
the mountain bike area specifically prohibits motorized bikes but we can tell from the skid marks not everyone is complying. we are worried bikers will get kicked out of the area because its open to horses and a speeding bike can be a disaster for horseback riders.

Aqua Girl started an age group poll in the Open Discussion forum if anyone cares to participate. It will be interesting to see the age range of those who do Cathe workouts.

Carolyn, thanks for mentioning the poll.

Valerie-I was having a discussion about e-bikes with someone recently. Those bikes seem to be getting more popular and I'm afraid it's taking the exercise and challenge of cycling away and making people feel like they are getting more exercise than they really are. I do think it's good for someone who has a health issue and can't ride a regular bike but you are right about the speeds. It would be dangerous to be going a lot faster than everyone else around them.

Cathy-Great job with STS 2 Tri Sets Total Body and Mobility 2. It really did turn out to be a nice day today.

I think e-bikes have their place. we have friends who live at top of a long serious hill that with traffic . he can ride up but its hard and a little dicey since its slow going and too many car drivers dont pay attention. he was not a strong rider before this though. so he uses it to get up the hill. most people just zoom along at 20 mph and barely pedal even tho the trail is mostly flat. they exceed the speed limit. bikes are heavy. a lot of racks wont hold them plus many people cant lift them to get them on. its beyond the point where any speed limits will be enforced.

yesterday I was going to do weekly trip to costco. someone got on the freeway driving south in the northbound lanes and caused a horrendous wreck. I rolled by shortly after it happened. OMG 3 cars rolled, torn apart and parts scattered all over. a helicopter on the freeway picking up injured. I always check traffic before I head out. this just happened, not showing on the traffic alerts yet and freeway was not closed. it took me 2 hours to get home. the "wrong way" guy died in the crash. a beautiful sunny day. it was encouraging that traffic after although incredibly heavy and awful, no one was impatient, no honking, and everyone was merging lanes without aggression or craziness. so sad. we will probably hear more about how this happened but the man was either crazy drunk or on a suicide mission. its the off ramp I use every day for 30+ years. no way was this a mistake.

carolyn I voted. it reflects what I suspected, that the people using cathe are getting up there in years. I hope more people vote.

Today I did Live Jabs and Abs, the abs are eh, so I did about half and switched to Stretch Max 3. My shoulders and pecs were not appreciated my choice of workout at all and my core apparently got worked enough yesterday to chime in on the ab portion. We're back to dreary and potentially getting some "no accumulation" snow the next couple days.

Valerie I do Wordle with my sister, and I will forever be sad that I lost a 476 day streak. There are several places in Michigan where e-bikes are a problem. Places have tried to allow them only for those who physically need them, but they basically have to take someone's word. There's also been issues with people on them who do not follow the common sense rules in the area. Rarely ends well when people are going the wrong way on highways and always horrible. They redid some of the exits in Mackinac City a couple years ago, when they rebuilt the highway bridge that is right before the Mackinac Bridge, and for awhile there was a definite uptick in people going the wrong way, and everyone was complaining that the new entrance ramps weren't clear enough. Last year a student from NMU was killed by a driver going the wrong way. I always try to make sure now that in those last few miles going north, I stay in the right lane, especially for the curve right before the first bridge view because you would not see someone headed your way and the speed limit is 75.

Hi Judy, Carolyn and Diane Sue.

Off to check out the poll.

Today I did RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders, 2 sets and no finishers. My time was 32 minutes with 115 calories burned. My average heart rate was 109 and maximum heart rate was 137.

Judy, great job with Yin Yoga and the 45 minute Peloton ride.

Cathy, great job with STS 2 Trisets Total Body, Mobility 2, Live Jabs and Abs, and Stretch Max 3.

Valerie, you are doing great with your biking and recovering from the surgery. That’s very sad about the fatal traffic accident that you encountered. The poll results so far reflect what I expected.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Yesterday I was busy catching up on house cleaning. I forgot to post yesterday's workout. I did Raw Lower Body Limitations(Upper Body), 37 minutes, 210 calories, heart rate 135/164. I followed with CDorner Stretch using a chair, 27 minutes, 31 calories. Total time was 64 minutes, 241 calories. My weights were the same as before except that I stayed with the 12# dumbbells for overhead press and did not drop to 10's this time. The rest left me feeling stronger this time.
Today I decided to try some cardio and did CDorner Cardio Aerobics low or high 80's music from today. I kept it all low and did not do any jacks or kicks. I still got a good workout, 41 minutes, 229 calories, heart rate 135/165, 4,126 steps. This was fun and the music was fun.
I followed with the first 7 minutes of CDorner Deep stretch because she said you could use a chair, but by 7 minutes she was kneeling on the floor so I switched to her day 12 upper body stretch and did it in the chair, 17 minutes, 24 calories. Total time 58 minutes 253 calories. My knee feels much better, but kneeling and getting down to the floor and back up is worrisome. I want to hear the results before I feel safe to do much.

Last edited:
My doctor called. Usually, it is her nurse that calls. She said that everything was intact. But, there is lots of bone spurs and an empty pocket behind my knee. That reminded me to mention that I have an odd dent below my calf that is getting deeper. So, I will be mentioning this to my arthritis doctor next week. If that does not work out, I will discuss it with my doctor again since I have to go for my yearly next month some time. I have not made that appointment yet. Anyway, I need to really watch what I do as those bone spurs can break off and get stuck in the joint. There is some deterioration as well. I am lucky the fall didn't cause a bigger problem. I am bummed, because I really work on strengthening the support area and mobility. Arthritis is not a nice thing. Sorry I have not been here. Getting rest, catching up, dog sitting etc.. Plus doctor visit Friday. I still need to give my dog a bath when I get done here.
I hope you all had a nice Easter.

Valerie, Happy belated birthday. I always loved to the crossword puzzles and stuff when we had newspapers delivered. I like Word Finds and have a creation science magazine that put them in it that I do every month. I have no idea what wordle or those things are. I play Word with Friends every day, I have 4 games going with a friend that I met here years ago and we continued on facebook till I was no longer on facebook. Then I have 8 games going with my youngest daughter.
I think sometimes when people see a really bad accident it makes them realize they are lucky to have life. I saw an accident that was so bad once and they actually put a big tarp over the vehicle to cover the occupants.

Judy, nice work on 30 minutes of Yin Yoga Sunday and 45 minute Peloton ride yesterday.

Cathy, good job on Live Jabs and Abs first half and Stretch Max #3.

Carolyn, nice work today on RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders 2 sets no finishers.

I voted:)

Last edited:
thanks for birthday greeting diane sue. hope you had a pleasant vacation. Tell me about arthritis! I have major osteo arthritis, worsening with age. my knee(s) are on their last legs, so to speak. they still work, noises are unpleasant but mostly don't hurt. my orthopod said "plan on it". I'm hoping for another year or two. the last injections don't seem to work as well as previous one did. I wish it were only my knees but no. hands, wrists, shoulders, feet, and of course my back that went downhill first. will just keep on keeping on. joint deterioration...family trait from my mother. I got a lot more many good years than any of them, so exercise has helped.

did a road ride yesterday. went early enough so it was quiet and peaceful. busier later but for a change most riders today were riding real bikes. 15 miles. 90 minutes. took longer than usual. we stopped to look at a ducks (mergansers) fishing on the river. this is a paved trail about 8-10 feet wide that goes for 30+ miles on an old railroad grade. people walk dogs, children. little kids on bikes or strollers. its a fantastic free community resource. there are a lot of bike trails around the area.
what possesses parents to pay zero attention to fast bikes approaching ? if everyone stays right except for passing, its fine. many parents let their kids wander and don't have control. I don't want to hit a 4 yo on a bike who suddenly veers into my lane. I don't want to fall, and even slowing way down is not workable. it's a reason to go early, before the stroller brigade is out. sometimes it looks like they want to get rid of their children. maybe they do? makes me wonder if they let them run into the street in front of cars too?

still haven't read anything about the wreck. it was a local guy who caused it but no news about the injured people. we don't get printed paper and haven't in years but I subscribe online to three papers. a shared subscription to the NYT with cousin for world news and opinion and two local papers. I cant imagine being without a reliable source of actual news over social media nonsense. Facebook is fine for a few things but not a news source. I print the puzzles. local paper ones don't work online. nice for traveling when no signal. or I don't want to use data.

Last edited:
I had a dental appointment this morning so no workout. It was just my routine cleaning, but boy was the office busy! I overheard one of the hygienists complaining about the scheduling template that they are using now. They are scheduling appointments every 20 minutes. That means that appointments are often behind schedule since not all can be done in a 20 minute time slot. They were scurrying around like little mice in there. I don’t see how this new process will last without some adjustments.

Diane Sue, nice job with choosing workouts that will not aggravate your knee problems. You are fortunate that the fall didn’t do more damage. Discussing it with your arthritis doctor is a good idea.

Valerie, great job with the road ride. It sounds like a very pleasant place to ride if you get ahead of the crowds. Unfortunately parents don’t always pay close attention to their children and what they are doing.

Hello to Cathy and Judy.

This morning I did STS 2 Super Sets Total Body. DH and Derek are leaving in the morning for Columbus and won't be back until probably late Saturday afternoon. I have cleaning and decluttering plans. Lots of things I want to vanish from the utility room, that have just been sitting down there for years, that we will never need, but DH would be all "but what if..." Also, cleaning that means moving some things which is just easier when there's no one here.

Carolyn I'm very happy that the boys and I use a small private Dentist. The Dentist, his assistant, 2 hygienists, and his wife works the desk. In 2020, they switched up things to space out appointments a bit more to cut down on extra people in the waiting room and they stuck with that. Rarely wait more than 5-10 minutes and sometimes less. He no longer takes our insurance, but I'll happy pay more out of pocket for the care.

Diane Sue I hope you get your bone spurs figured out and you are doing a good job of figuring out your workouts around the problems.

Valerie glad you got in a good peaceful ride. People who wander back and forth either walking or biking drive me nuts. Maybe a delay in the accident getting into the news. There was a high speed chase the other day in Marquette and it took almost 24 hours for it to hit the news. 17 yo fled two different traffic stops, hit a cop and then took off north out of Marquette. If he'd been from the area he'd have known that was a really bad option. Curvy two lane road, near midnight, going as much as 100, and a line of cops after him, plus that road dead ends in the last small town before the Huron Mountains. Either you turn around and head back or you take to two tracks and hiking trails. His choice was to ram through the gates of the Huron Mountain Club. You do not mess with these very wealthy people, who have pretty much been running people off club land for over 100 years and the guards have permission to shoot. He was lucky that he immediately hit a tree, apparently took off briefly on foot chased by police dog and they got him.

Hi Judy.

Today I did Raw Box for Your Waistline, 32 minutes, 183 calories, heart rate 131/152. I did not do the jacks in one section and just did a squat. No impact. It worked fine. I finished with CDorner Day 6 wake up mobility and the Chair Stretch from I Max 4 28 minutes, 46 calories. Total time 60 minutes, 229 calories.

Valerie, I feel the arthritis in my wrists, fingers lock up and ache, spine aches most of the time, shoulders hurt, neck hurts. It is unpleasant. Some days are worse than others. I am hoping I am not on my last legs yet. At first I really thought my doctor had to not be correct on the rheumatoid arthritis end as it was seronegative. But, things seem to be progressing and every time something else comes up it can be caused from the rheumatoid arthritis. When I was in my 40's my doctor had me taking Boniva. I had some stress fractures. so I think it has been going on for a long time. I quit the Boniva as it seemed every time I would take it I would hurt for a couple of weeks and as it started wearing off I felt good again. It made my back hurt. Nice work on the 15 mile ride today. I am glad it was peaceful for you. I have not noticed many bikes around here. Lots of people walking though.

Carolyn, I do not know how a dentist office could take care of patients in that short amount of time. Even just to look at their teeth. I will probably skip working out Friday because I have to be at the eyecare place for a field vision test at 8:30 in the morning. I just figure since I will be in town I will pick up the dogs heartworm stuff and maybe stop at the store while I am out. I had Walmart Delivery yesterday and I ordered two bananas and they gave me two onions. I was not going to say anything, but then I realized I did not get the cottage cheese, so had to go through the online chat process. That is when delivery is a pain. I wanted to make some egg bites from a recipe that was from Ancient Nutrition.

Cathy, nice work on Sts 2 Super Sets Total Body. It always feels good to clean out and straighten things. I understand though. I prefer to be by myself. Even though it is just two of us, the TV is on and lots of interruptions. I just can't seem to get in the mood to do it unless I am by myself.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.