Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/24/2024

I will try and check in tomorrow. I did CDorner seated chair upper body mobility stretch day 2 and day 3 relaxing lower body stretch. Nothing hard on this one. There was childs pose which I held the left knee a bit above the floor and still got a stretch through back and shoulders. Nothing tomorrow as we will be packing up things and taking the dog to my sons. No internet in the cabin so I probably will not be posting or it will be short.

This morning I did an Intensity mix I put together with the warm-up, step and floor low impact hiit, then I did Stretch Max with the ball. Planning to start the 12 week rotation of STS 2 on Tuesday.

Diane Sue have fun on your trip.

Valerie great job with the treadmill and abs. I hope that your overnight camper test goes well.

Hi Judy and Carolyn.

we switched up plans and will ride the local trail this morning and drive to the campground later as planned. dont need to take bikes apart and load them. once you lose confidence in the truck/ camper set up , its unsettling to head somewhere wondering if everything is holding together ok. we had a series of problems we think are fixed so its more mental. weather is nice today so decided against riding in the afternoon where we had planned. it will get too busy with too many distracted drivers. we usually ride it early in the morning but then we would be stuck there all day with the camper and nothing else to do. off to do the ride.

This morning I did Live Crush It Low Impact and STS 2 Mobility 1. Supposed to get up around 60 today, so that should take care of the bits of snow still around, though the melting has doubtless left some of the paths wet/muddy.

Valerie I hope your ride/overnight camping went smoothly.

Carolyn great job keeping with the yoga routine.

Hi Diane Sue and Judy.

ride went fine yesterday except DH's bike is still not working right. chain keeps falling off and derailleur /chain rubs in spots. did 15 miles in longer than usual time. gotta stop and reload the chain! did our short camper trip and found a few things we need to clean/fill. it started raining seriously this morning at 5am so that killed off possible short thing we wanted to do this morning. fast weather change. accomplished what we needed to do. cold and wet this week.

This morning I did XTrain All Out Low Impact HiiT, floor and step cardio. That was 35 minutes and 246 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 159. I ran some errands with my husband after my workout but they didn’t take long.

Cathy, great job with Live Crush It Low Impact and STS 2 Mobility 1.

Valerie, that’s good that things went okay with the camper. I’m sorry that the rain caused you to change your plans.

Diane Sue, enjoy your trip.

Hello to Judy.

Friday I came down with an upper respiratory bug. I felt pretty rough for about 24 hours. I called out of work on Saturday but was feeling better yesterday. Today I did 45 minutes of very easy rowing and 35 minutes of total body strength work.

Diane Sue-I hope you are having a wonderful trip.

Cathy- Great job with your intensity mix, stretch max, Live Crush It Low Impact and STS 2 Mobility 1. Friday was a mess with the snow. We definitely got more than expected. It’s almost all gone now with the temps going up today.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga/mobility work and XTrain All Out Low Impact HiiT, floor and step cardio.

Valerie-I’m glad your ride and camping went ok. That’s too bad about the rain though. It looks like we will be getting some rainy weather this week too.

Good morning. Today I did Gym Style Back, Biceps, and Shoulders which was 53 minutes and 142 calories burned. My average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate was 124. It was a good workout. I often forget how much I like the Gym Style workouts.

Judy, I’m so sorry that you have been sick. There’s so much respiratory illness going around. My husband’s sister was in the hospital for 10 days with pneumonia but she is home and doing better now. It’s good that you felt up to doing some easy rowing and Total Body strength.

Hello to Cathy, Valerie, and Diane Sue.

So, today was one of those rare days where from the moment I woke up I didn't want to workout. Even had set everything up last night. Put on my workouts and then just messed around online, had breakfast and was still like nope not happening today. On the plus side, everything is already set up for tomorrow. LOL Yesterday turned out to be pretty nice, so Derek and I went and walked at a bird sanctuary about 15 minutes away. Did about a 40 minute walk. Told him we need to go there every couple weeks. Oh, and I ordered the new workouts yesterday.

Carolyn great job with XTrain All Out Low Impact HiiT and Gym Styles Back, Biceps and Shoulders.

Judy glad to hear you are feeling better. Nice job getting in the rowing and strength work.

Valerie glad you were able to figure out what your camper still needs done, but that's really too bad about the rain and your DH's bike.

Hi Diane Sue.

were using this rainy stretch as a chance to clean out and update everything. its easy to pack away things and forget you have them, and that they have outdates. meds outdating in 2015? nope. we need to bring more food along than usual if this ends up being 2 weeks as planned, a lot of food. small towns in the desert southwest do not have much. restaurants don't either. we dont eat meat. rules out almost every restaurant. sometimes there is chicken something which I can work with unless its breaded and fried. I like nf greek yogurt for breakfast , fat chance of finding that. hard finding nonfat milk. even decent peanut butter is a lost cause. I bring most of what we need fresh or frozen. a waste of vacation time driving around looking for a store and shopping.

cathy sometimes you wake up knowing what will and will not get done. Im debating about whether I should get this new series. it has appeal. Im thinking Cathe might feel the need to tone it down a little with the detached retina issue and the rotator cuff tear. I doubt I'll do very heavy weights anymore. I've been doing things all along my recovery more often and more reps but lighter weights. I'm feeling my age and recent surgery are not things I can completely overcome. I can still be active but less intense. theres no reason I cant use 20's and do a few more reps than wrestle with 30's.

all kinds of shopping today and only a small chunk of therapy work. I did a lot yesterday and even got some sore spots.

Last edited:
Today I did STS 2 Giant Sets and Chair Yoga. I'd forgotten how fast that workout moves.

Valerie I hear you on the eating out while traveling. When Derek and I went to Nick's the only thing we bought were subs at Subway. We had food with us, and stayed where we had microwaves and fridges and took our own food to the zoos. All three allow outside food, but honestly, even the zoos that don't we take in food. As long as you aren't trying to bring in a cooler, they seem to ignore it. At Nick's I forked over the big bucks to get food two nights from the vegan restaurant and he and I got Smoothie King one day. Other than that we just made food. That's a long time to plan food for to take with you. I'm contemplating going tent camping by myself in September and even for 5 days bringing stuff is tough, though I'm planning to stay at the campground in Marquette so I'm just a few minutes from stores and restaurants. A campground on a river in a town with everything you need is my way of camping. LOL The nice thing about the new videos at that from the start you can buy them separately, so as more info comes out you may be able to see that you want some but not others.

Hi Judy, Carolyn and Diane Sue.

cathy we used to be ovo lacto vegetarians, if that term is used anymore, but travel for work and lots of camping converted us to some chicken and fish. I cant eat a big chunk of either and call it dinner. I need to have it mixed into grains, pasta, eggs, etc. the smaller the town the more likely dinner is not possible. apparently that part of the world gets by on hamburgers. for camping in the camper I do a lot, since it has a fridge/freezer. best you have those things packed in your supplies. I do a lot with vegies but its not easy in a camper and they are bulky, take too much space. the oven is not great so its stovetop things. for a couple nights the sky's the limit but 2 weeks is hard to pack for. even pizza is tough because they never have anything to put on it. no, I don't want sausage or pepperoni.

finishing up now. I especially like Asian food. Thai is a favorite, and I like Indian too. so far have not gotten into Korean. I dont like kimchi, cooked or fermented cabbage. that may not be a good fit for me. Im not ruling it out but cabbage is not a favorite. I like it raw in salads but not cooked. usually campgrounds mean you are outside of towns at least somewhat but the friends we are sharing the trip with already said restaurants were not great and groceries weren't easy to get. we are trying to stay near where we plan to hike.

did all therapy work, 30 min walking uphill 4.5% on the treadmill, and upper body curls and modified push ups.

Last edited:
I didn’t work out today. The HVAC technician was scheduled for this morning and he arrived at 8:15. It was just the routine maintenance check up, but it takes a while. I also had WW meeting and couldn’t fit everything in. I am trying to make sure I get more walking in. The last few weeks my step count has been lower so I’m making an extra effort to get at least 8500 steps. I decided to stop stressing over 10,000 daily steps and build back gradually with a smaller goal.

Cathy, I think that we’ve all had those days when we don’t want to do any workout. Great job with STS 2 Giant Sets and Chair Yoga. Camping where you are close to stores and restaurants sounds like a very good idea.

Valerie, I agree that eating out is difficult. I’m not vegetarian, but I try to make vegetables, beans, and grains the stars of my meals. Lately in addition to getting more whole grains from milling my own flour, I have expanded my use of whole grains in main dishes and sides.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Yesterday I did 30 minutes of mobility work and 30 minutes of Peloton scenic rides. Today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and 10 minutes of Peloton upper body work. I'm feeling so much better now than I was over the weekend.

Carolyn-Great job with Gym Style Back, Biceps, and Shoulders. I’m sorry about your husband’s sister. I’m glad she is home and doing better. There has been so much going around here.

Cathy-Great job with STS 2 Giant Sets and Chair Yoga. I’d really like to visit Marquette. Chris and I need to plan a trip up north.

Valerie- I loved Indian food when I was younger. There was an Indian restaurant in the Quad Cities that I went to a lot back in the day. I’m not a fan of cooked cabbage either. Great job with the therapy work, treadmill, upper body curls and pushups.

Hi to Diane Sue

Today I did Gym Style Chest and Triceps timesaver. My time was 37 minutes and 108 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Judy, great job with Peloton mobility work, Peloton rides, and Peloton upper body work.

Valerie, great job with therapy work, uphill walking on the treadmill, curls, and modified pushups. The Gym Style workout today had so many pushups!

Hello to Cathy and Diane Sue.

Most Asian food is suitable for me since I like the mix of grains and vegetables without depending on big slabs of protein. I like fruit and tofu too. good fresh vegies are a problem in small towns. we t load as much as we can from home. my favorite meal out is Thai.
Judy we never found an Indian restaurant to keep going back to. I cant cook curry at home because I cant get the smell out of the kitchen. I heat already prepared things like sauces but don't start from scratch. I think curry smell gets into the hood above the stove. even running the filters thru the DW doesnt help much. I quit. I like Indian a lot but not smelling it for weeks after. our meals out are usually Thai.

did 35 on the spin bike and at least 30 on therapy work and upper body. curls, presses, dips, tricep push ups. I go fast and get a lot done in about half an hour.

Last edited:
Today I did Gym Style Legs, standing only premix. That was 35 minutes and 153 calories burned. Average heart rate 114 and maximum heart rate 147.

Valerie, great job with 30 minutes on the spin bike, therapy work, and upper body exercises.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Diane Sue.

Shopped yesterday. Today I did Live Box and Burn then I went to visit my parents. Eating out Mexican is often the easiest to find something or adapt something. Asian too. Never been a fan of curry. I'll use a bit in some my soup recipes, but in general I'm not keen on Indian food. So, in messages you don't anticipate I got one from my sister tonight that was "do you have a pic of your biceps?" I was like??? Her new DIL, the former competitive/pro figure skater, was looking at some of the wedding pics and commented her arm looked like Terminator and my sister told her it's only terminator impressive if you're over 60. And I was apparently her go to on that. So, I put on a workout top and had Derek do some pics, and I must say that for 63 they are pretty darn decent! LOL

Carolyn great job with Gym Styles Chest and Triceps and Legs.

Valerie good job with the spin bike, treadmill, walking and upper body work.

Judy nice job with Mobility, Peloton rides and upper body work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.