Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/17/2024

judy we always joke that the bicyclists in competitive cycling are built just like the bikes they are riding. everyone looks the same and are hard to tell apart even if clothing is different colors. no room for short chunky people in the serious bicycling world.

we did a walk this morning with visiting cousin and wife. he is having knee trouble and has re gained weight that he had previously lost. that's likely a big reason for the new knee discomfort. we thought things would be extremely busy in the park but it was pleasant and not bad at all. beautiful blue bird day sunny and warm 70 degrees. lovely!. we walked about an hour and a half but not at any serious pace. then went to lunch at my favorite thai place. spring rolls and pad thai. yum! it was so very good. I could only eat half, so I have lunch made for tomorrow. I made dinner for them later but kept it light. its the first dinner entertaining I've done since before my surgery. it went fine. I plan it, cook it and serve it, DH cleans up and loads the DW. I think that's fair division of labor. he will get dessert or coffee if anyone would like it. I usually make the dessert if we have one. it makes it less stressful and gets around the division of labor questions to me.

today is the 10 year anniversary since the Oso mud slide. killed 45 people and happened close to here. at the time the news coverage was intense. it was unusual. DH and I drove the road twice that morning. we missed being caught in it by maybe half an hour. we planned to hike/ski that day but as we drove up the forest service we saw small slides that often mean trees coming down across the road. we decided to turn around and go home. we crossed the potential slide path about 30 min before it gave way. we were unloading our car in our driveway when my neighbor called to see where we were. I tell her where we go. at the time no one knew what happened, just that a huge mud slide had covered the area wiped out the hwy and a lot of homes. we dont know exactly how close we came to disaster because several people on the hwy were buried in their cars and died. the road was closed for months while the dead were dug out and the road restored. I still get a creepy feeling when we drive by there and feel how close we came.

Last edited:
Good morning. I did my usual yoga/mobility this morning before starting my day.

Judy, thanks for starting us off this week.

Valerie, it’s nice that you could hike with your visitors. That mud slide sounds horrible. The fact that you had passed that way shortly before it happened is frightening. Sadly I don’t remember that news story.

Waving hello to Cathy and Diane Sue.

we rode our road ride this morning 15 miles 1 hr 20 minutes. I'm within 48 hours of my knee injection so didn't overdo. lovely and warm and sunny.

caroline it was a huge story here 10 yrs ago because it was such an unusual event. it was hard to adjust my brain around it. we thought the risk was going into the mountains! the real risk was making that decision and coming home to avoid slides and what ended up barely missing us. we drove thru the path of the "pending" slide. its a fairly busy 2 lane road. I think only one car was engulfed with the driver killed. most of the dead were buried in their homes by a sudden massive wall of mud. even driving by it now, its hard to understand how it happened.

This morning I did To the Max Slide and Glide Tabatha bonus, Killer Legs + Barre bonus and STS 2 Chair Yoga. Drive home Friday was uneventful, though it was quite windy. House condition definitely met my worst expectations. LOL It's mostly recovered now, though I need to clean under the burners on the stove still. Yesterday, I shopped, and then did an unexpected visit to my parents. My nephew in FL got married yesterday, and it was live streamed. The link was sent out a few hours before, and it said if the link doesn't work copy and pasts in browser. I message my Dad and say, do you know how to do that. No. And I know that my can Mom get pretty nasty when he can't figure out a tech issue for something they want to watch, so I wanted to make sure he could get it working.

Valerie, I'm with you on the TV while visiting. My usual routine for visiting my parents is to show up at lunch time and go sit at the table. They have a small TV by it, but are far more likely to have it off or turned down when we're out there. If we are in the living room, my Mom wants the TV on and loud, not that she's paying any attention to it! And not that she would admit it's loud because of her, as my Dad has hearing aids. Glad to hear your appointments all went well.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw TBTS Shadowboxing, Raw TBTS Strength abs, yoga, CDorner Dance Party Cardio Low Impact and mobility.

Judy, nice job with the walk, Peloton ride and mobility. Sorry to hear about your shoulder issue.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga/mobility.

This morning I did Live Boom Boom Pow Kickbox, an STS 2 Core mix I put together and STS 2 Mobility 1. We are having flurries now, but it's not supposed to amount to anything. I need to go to the accountants today, and pick up our tax stuff and drop off Nick's which I got when I was there. And yesterday's Killer Legs really nailed my hamstrings. :eek:

Last edited:
This morning I did RWH Low Impact HiiT Two. That was 30 minutes and 200 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Cathy, great job with To the Max Slide and Glide Tabata, Killer Legs +Barre, STS 2 Chair Yoga, Live Boom Boom POW Kickboxing, STS 2 Core mix, and Chair Yoga. You’ve gotten some good workouts the last few days.

Valerie, nice job with the road ride. That mud slide was so terrible. I went back to read more about it. I was still working back then and didn’t always keep up with national news stories.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Carolyn when you see the area it seems to be impossible the hillside could have collapsed suddenly and propelled itself all the way across the valley, diverting and blocking river and the across a big section of highway. it does not seem possible! even now when we drive past the remaining debris, it doesnt seem like it could have happened like it did. not a slow creep, but it was over in seconds.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...timeline-of-devastation-discovery-and-memory/
it was a big deal! in case you want to see pics, a link.

back to doing therapy work again yesterday. this morning we mt biked the tree farm. I did the shorter route that I did about 6 weeks ago. it was uncomfortable coming downhill on the bumpy surface. I was right , I wasn't ready for it yet. only rode paved surfaces since. this morning we retried the bumpy downhill and it felt ok. took us an hour and 15 min to do the whole thing. this is not as bouncy as the trails, but they're not open yet anyway. It felt good to go downhill at a faster clip. I was still careful, don't want to take a spill but it feels like progress. I need to rebuild endurance for the longer routes. since its an active business of tree harvesting, every year the routes change as roads are created or closed. I will do therapy later this afternoon while I make dinner..

Last edited:
Today I did Raw Lower Body Limitations, 41 minutes, 196 calories, heart rate 123/165. I then did CDorner Mobility challenge day 2 Upper Body chair stretch, 16 minutes, 22 calories. Total time was 57 minutes, 218 calories. I have never done the lower body limitations before. It was a good upper body workout and I liked the seated boxing moves between sets. I am working on getting things ready for our vacation coming up.

Today I did XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders, rounds 1-5. That was 39 minutes and 168 calories burned, average heart rate 113, and maximum heart rate 144.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Lower Body Limitations and CDorner upper body mobility. When I was having knee issues chair workouts were very helpful.

Valerie, you are wise to be cautious in your progression.

Hello to Cathy and Judy.

hiked with friends this morning. took us 2 hours because we spent time trying to locate a loud bird we could not see harrassing a near by nesting bald eagle. lovely warm and sunny but its going back to clouds and rain tomorrow. did therapy last night, and 2 hours hiking this morning.

Yesterday I did 60 minutes of Peloton Full Body strength and a 10 minute stretch. Today I did a 45 minute Peloton Scenic Ride. I had my first PT session for my shoulder. I was there for about an hour. They did some range of motion tests, a little massage therapy, stretches and various exercises with a resistance band.

Valerie-That mud slide sounds awful! Very sad that so many people died. It is scary that you were so close to that. Great job with your walking, riding and therapy work.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga/mobility, RWH Low Impact HiiT Two, and XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders, rounds 1-5.

Cathy-Great job with To the Max Slide and Glide Tabatha bonus, Killer Legs + Barre bonus and STS 2 Chair Yoga, Live Boom Boom Pow Kickbox, STS 2 Core mix and STS 2 Mobility 1. It’s supposed to snow here on Friday. It was so nice last week and now it’s back to winter.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Lower Body Limitations and CDorner Mobility challenge day 2 Upper Body chair stretch. Chair workouts help me a lot when I have low back issues.

Today I did Raw TBTS Warm Up with Raw Shadow Boxing, 25 minutes, 144 calories, heart rate 134/165. I followed with Raw Boxing Finisher 16 minutes, 88 calories, heart rate 132/158 and finishing with CDorner Mobility Day 14 standing Neck and Shoulders + Day 27 Quick Morning Stretch which is also standing, 17 minutes, 28 calories. Total time 58 minutes, 260 calories. My knee is still hurting. I used my sleeve on my knee today and it helps with it hurting. I am hoping it heals on it's own. We will be on vacation next week and had plans climbing around in the rocks and taking walks around the water. The knee may be a problem with that. I want to hold out till I see my Rheumatologist the 12th. They could x ray there if needed. Mostly I am hoping it mends on it's own. I have a lot of arthritis in that knee.

Cathy, good job on Cathe Live Boom Boom Pow Kickbox, STS 2 Core mix you put together and STS 2 Mobility yesterday.

Carolyn, nice work on XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders, rounds 1-5. The chair workouts really help. KCM has a few workouts that help work around injuries on her Raw channel. When I was coming back from surgery I used her weight workout for people with shoulder limitations a lot.

Valerie, that is nice that you were able to progress a bit on the terrain you ride. You are wise to be careful. Nice job on the two hour ride today with friends. Funny that there was a bird taunting the bald eagle.

Judy, nice job doing 60 minutes of Peloton Full Body strength and a 10 minute stretch yesterday and today a 45 minute Peloton ride. I hope the PT work helps you. CDorner has done a few chair mobility workouts. It is easier for me to go to her 30 day mobility list though, than to go through the workouts to find the longer ones. Some using the chairs are not all seated though.

Okay, so apparently I never hit post on this!

Slept through my FitBit alarm and it's snooze this morning and got a late start so I only did Total Body Barbell. First time doing it, and I wasn't loving it. Next time I'll have a better idea of weights and I never paused it. I'm doing it again in a few days so I'll see if my opinion is changed. On the plus, side I slept longer than I have in years. LOL

Diane Sue nice job with Raw Lower Body Limitations and mobility.

Carolyn great job with RWH Low Impact HiiT Two.

Valerie that's wonderful that you are able to do more challenging rides.

This morning I did My Finished Step (minus the last 5 minutes of the step routine because...Tux) then I did STS 2 Total Body Stretch. Tux was heading for Chester, so I intervened and when Chester escaped, then Tux turned his full attention to me. Currently, he's sleeping under the back of DH's rolling work chair, which means DH has to remember he's there, though my thought is that if he gets run over once, he "might" stop doing it. Yesterday, he jumped up and landed next to Chester who went into full growly/hissy mode, I picked Tux up to move him to the couch and he launched himself off my wrist. Left a 2" scratch straight down a vein. Good thing my blood coagulates really well. :rolleyes: It looks much better today.

Diane Sue great job with Raw TBTS Warm Up with Raw Shadow Boxing, Raw Boxing Finisher and Stretch/Mobiity. Sorry to hear that your knee is still sore.

Judy nice job with the Peloton workouts. Hopefully the therapy helps. Not thrilled that March has decided to dabble in winter. We are in the 2-4" range for snow Fri-Sat.

Valerie great that you got the hike in. Little birds do go out of their way to harass raptors.

hi Carolyn.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout one, for 36 minutes and 191 calories burned. Average heart rate was 135 and maximum heart rate was 157. I attended my virtual WW meeting then went out to run errands. Unfortunately I ran into a huge traffic back up on one of the streets. There was road paving with lanes blocked but then also an accident. The quick trip to the grocery store ended up taking a long time.

Valerie, great job with hiking and your therapy exercises.

Judy, great job with Peloton Total Body Strength, Stretch, and Scenic ride. I hope that the PT helps your shoulder.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw TBTS Warm Up, Shadow Boxing, and Boxing Finisher, and CDorner Mobility are Stretch. I’m sorry that your knee is still hurting.

Cathy, nice job with Total Body Barbell, your Finished Step, and STS 2 Total Body Stretch.

Have a great day everyone.

diane sue my knees are not what they used to be either. my right knee cap does not track properly. I.m getting a series of injections right now that helped me before. you dont want to replace the knee until you absolutely need to. there is debate about how effective the injections are, but I felt it helped when I had it done about 1.5 years ago. trying it again. Im getting mine thru orthopedics but rheumatology can probably do it too if they think it might help. I get my last one tomorrow. my left knee is less trouble. maybe icing, a brace, and resting it will be enough.

day off today. probably therapy work later.

cathy, cat claws are like razors. even unintentional as it was.

Today I did 25 minutes of rowing, a 20 minute scenic ride and a 45 minute Yin Yoga class.

I think the PT is going to help. My shoulder was sore this morning but I expected that. I go again on Friday, then 2 days a week for the next month.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw TBTS Warm Up with Raw Shadow Boxing, Raw Boxing Finisher and the mobility and stretch. I hope your knee heals before your vacation.

Cathy-Great job with Total Body Barbell, Your Finished Step and STS 2 Total Body Stretch. We were in the 2-4 range but I just looked again and now they have us in the 1-2 inch range.

Carolyn-Great job with KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout one. I’m sorry about the traffic jam. That happens a lot around here too.

Hi to Valerie

Today I kept my leg elevated most of the day. I did CDorner mobility day 2 chair neck and shoulders, and the STS 2 chair yoga + other mobility stuff and tried to loosen up the leg a bit as it gets to feeling kind of stiff. The bruising has gone down onto my shin, and it still hurts.

Cathy, sometimes it is nice to get some extra sleep. Maybe you will like Total Body Barbell better next time. I am not a real fan of barbell work. I will do it, but some things are better done without putting a barbell on my shoulders. Nice work on your step routine and Total Body Stretch today. Tux is quite the character. I hope the scratch heals up quickly.

Valerie, I don't think I tore a meniscus again as the pain is in a different area and when I had the torn meniscus, my knee would give out on me sometimes. It has still been an achy knee off and on even after that surgery. I think that my rheumatologist can do something. When it still hurt two months after the meniscus surgery the orthopedic doctor gave me a steroid injection. It got better, but still would hurt sometimes. If I do lots of step workouts in a row, or much hopping and jumping that knee lets me know it is there.

Carolyn, nice work on Cardio Quick Fix today. That is always frustrating when we get stuck in traffic issues unexpectedly. Such a waste of time. I have been experiencing lots of roads with lanes blocked latey. It seems new ones every time I have to drive across the city. I will anticipate one and they move the work to another lane.

Judy, nice work on the 25 minutes of rowing, 20 minute scenic ride and 45 minute yin yoga class. When I did PT before I ended up with surgery I was usually pretty sore for a day. I went for 8 weeks and then stopped. I did the moves every day I was not there. The best part for me was the hot pillow, 10's unit, and then when the would work on the area.

Last edited:
Diane sue in my experience docs are quick to recommend knee replacement. I dont want to think I'm at that spot! the injections I'm getting are not steroid but some sort of collagen material. Ive read interest in doing arthroscopic procedures to fix meniscal issues is not as recommended as it first was. IMO its best to let things heal and settle down by themselves if possible. my knee still bends ok but lunge moves make a lot of noise so I work around those now. walking, riding is ok. "Motion is lotion". eventually I will likely need this surgery but not yet. last knee injection this morning. I can repeat as soon as 6 months if this helps.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.