Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/10/2024

Good afternoon. I did my usual yoga/mobility this morning for 18 minutes. The weather is cool and windy but sunny. I’m enjoying the change from rain and fog although I’m not excited about the change to daylight saving time.

Have a great day everyone.

we set clocks forward around dinner time before the time change. We watch tv, eat and go to bed using the "new" time. helps us adjust quickly although I would prefer not needing to adjust.

we've watched a few of the oscar nominees this year. watched another last night, Poor Things". holy crap it was absolutely awful. it is extremely extremely graphic. I'm not delicate but way way too much very explicit nudity/sex . I have seen way more of emma stone than I ever wanted to. it was too long. it was a crazy fantasy story/plot. I am guessing the intent was condemnation of ritual cutting many women around the world are subjected to but that doesn't come up until the end. we were fast forwarding to get there.
I'm trying to remember if I liked any of the nominated movies but I cant think of one right now.

will walk on the treadmill today. I forget if I posted yesterday but I did spin bike for 35 min plus therapy

Just jumping in to say hi from Fort Worth. We arrived a little while ago and I'm resting my brain. LOL We came in kitty corner east to west above the DFW area and even on a weekend traffic was crazy and there were those fun, okay be in this lane to exit and in less than half a mile you need to move lanes and exit again! Doing the same thing I did last time as we are leaving on a weekday. Going north out of FW to OK and all the way across it. I can't even contemplate doing that in morning rush hour traffic. Until we got about an hour and a half out traffic wasn't bad at all today. Only other traffic hassle was going around Indy which is never fun. Doing the FW Zoo tomorrow and Dallas Zoo on Tuesday.

Time change ended up not affecting us. We switched time zones when we got into IL, and then the time change, and the clock in the car that has to be changed manually was right again after the time change. We did not adjust at all that first day, so we're good. LOL

Valerie the only Oscar nominated movie I've seen was Barbie, which I liked. No desire to watch any of the others. I rarely watch movies anyway. I'll sit and binge watch 1/2 shows, but don't want to sit through a movie. LOL

I have not seen Barbie yet but plan to. all the other movies are pretty intense. and long. I dont enjoy theaters so we will probably stream it. we saw several of the less publicized nominees and enjoyed them more than the hyped ones. we liked Nyad and the Andes plane crash one. forget the name. we will get to the others when we can. I keep a list of movies and series we would probably like to see when they become available. a lot of the time after the award season is over, availability loosens up.
Jimmie Kimmel is a great host and is funny without being mean or vicious. it still is a long ordeal with loads of commercials lumped together. we watched most of the show but it started earlier than usual, and we mute during commercials. the ending was just hilarious. totally unexpected and unrehearsed!

Last edited:
Today I did Jessica Smith’s HiiT Walk for 30 minutes and 230 calories burned. My average heart rate was 139 and maximum heart rate was 167. I watched part of the Academy Awards show, but it’s much too long for me.

Valerie, I’ve only seen two of the nominated movies, American Fiction and Barbie. Barbie was surprisingly enjoyable. I only watched Barbie after my youngest daughter told me that it was a good movie. We watched American Fiction during the holidays because oldest daughter had an advance copy from her professional organization. It was good, but very different. It felt more like watching a play. I am also hoping that other movies will be more available now that the awards show is over.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Diane Sue.

So today was the Fort Worth Zoo, but I did get in Live Kickbox Express this morning. I've worn two different pairs of shoes at the zoos, and for some reason my heels are sore. Guess I'm going to have to invest in a good pair of walking shoes soon. I wore my hiking boots at St. Louis and that wasn't good, those are what I wear when I do the local zoo and I've never had an issue. Today I wore my recently replaced workout shoes and same thing. Last zoo of the trip tomorrow. Yoga with Nick didn't happen last night. He fell asleep at 8 and woke up and 10 and did yoga. LOL I went to bed around 9:30 I think, told him yoga had to be an earlier thing. I think his sleep is even more messed up than mine. But he has such an erratic sleep schedule with his overnight shifts and occasional day shift and classes.... Currently, they have walked over to Kroger to pick up a few things, no idea how long that will take. It's only a block away, which explains why Nick has so many charges. He also ran over there this morning and came back with a carton of almond milk and a premade smoothie. Truly explains the multiple a day bank charges.

Carolyn nice job with Jessica Smith's Hiit Walk.

Valerie I rarely watch awards shows. I did watch the Grammy's this time. I've seen the video of the ending and it was great. Right now I've gotten hooked on Ghosts the American Version and as of last night I'm caught up to the current seasons episode, not sure it I want to watch the UK Version right now or not.

DH had an eye appt mid morning but there was a bad wreck and the freeway got blocked for a long time. he left as soon as we saw the traffic tie up on the DOT site. only about 20 min away on a normal drive day but took about 90 min today. he was dilated afterwards so several reasons to delay doing anything. so after lunch we did a mt bike around the neighborhood. 45 min. then I did therapy work. later this week we are getting a break in the dismal weather, and it will be sunny and warm. for several days!

its so crazy all the options and possibilities between dish, cable, and streaming. we dont have any of the big movie channels because theyre always bundled with sports stations. not paying for sports. anyway, I never heard of Ghosts. we dont get any "regular" TV stations so I don't usually watch award shows that cover that programming. also gave up on Grammys a long time ago. I'm not consistent on the academy awards but I did see several of the nominated movies so wanted to sit thru the show this time. it was a decent show. Kimmel has the right touch to play with people without being mean or nasty. it helps to mute the commercials that were mostly bunched together in clumps.

Last edited:
Today I did RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders, 2 sets, no finishers. That was 31 minutes and 126 calories burned. My average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 145. I went to Costco after my workout to get some big paper goods.

Cathy, it sounds like you are enjoying your trip. I like Ghosts too. It’s a nice lighthearted show.

Valerie, Ghosts is a program on CBS network.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Last edited:
This morning I did STS 2 Mat Yoga. Yoga with Nick is not happening since it appears he always does it late. Then we did the Dallas Zoo. Sitting at 16,000 steps for the day so far, and the most of them were there. Should be able to get a decent workout in tomorrow as it's my chill day. No zoo, no long drive. Nick and I will be hanging out while Derek takes himself back to the Fort Worth Zoo. It's a whole 2 miles away.

Carolyn nice job with RWH Back, Biceps and Shoulders.

Valerie Ghosts is a sitcom currently in Season 3. I'm watching it on Paramount Plus. Was sad to see that now that I'm caught up there's no new episode till March 30 because of the basketball playoffs. Apparently CBS is carrying a lot of the games. Great that you got in the bike ride and therapy exercises.

Hi to Judy and Diane Sue.

oh that always ticks me off when a series gets interrupted. an example is The Handmaids Tale. I think they have a final season in the works but its been years now! I dont remember where anything left off, and a lot of series dont do a recap. we try (at least some times) to only watch after all seasons have been released but that is not always reasonable. often you cant tell what you like until you've watched at least part of the first season, and its not guaranteed renewal for further seasons. I strongly dislike watching team sports and DH agrees. I can stand a little football but a big no on all the others.

got tooth cleaning done today, assorted errands. did 30 on the elliptical and therapy work plus some dips, tricep push ups and curls. tomorrow it might be dry enough to try a real mt bike ride. DH has his road bike at a bike shop getting wheels and derailleur replaced. its been about 3 weeks now. taking a long time and that rules out road riding until we get it back. weather has been crummy but this week looks very nice.

Sunday I worked 6 hours, yesterday I did STS 2.0 Chair Yoga and today I did a 1 hour Peloton ride. Our bath remodel is almost done and we are very happy with it so far.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga/mobility, Jessica Smith’s HiiT Walk, and RWH Back, Biceps, and Shoulders, 2 sets, no finishers. I agree about the Academy Awards being too long.

Valerie-Great job with the spinning, mountain biking, elliptical, therapy work and upper body. We’ve always liked Jimmy Kimmel too. He’s a good host.

Cathy-Great job with Live Kickbox Express and STS 2 Mat Yoga. It sounds like you are having a nice trip.

Hi to Diane Sue

Yesterday I did Raw Balance Strength and Core, 35 minutes, 104 calories. I then did Raw Kickbox NRG, 31 minutes, using 1# dumbbells, 139 calories, heart rate 120/158. I finished off with CDorner Full Body Static Stretch day 30 and a portion of another stretch, 32 minutes, 40 calories. Total time 99 minutes, 283 calories, 2,525 steps. I burned less calories than I did the last time with these two workouts even though I added the dumbbells for boxing. The weights pretty much stayed the same, but I did better with the workout as far as the movements and balance. It is mostly 1 sided weightlifting.
Today there was not a workout. I hosted my ladies group this morning. I am not sure how tomorrow will be. I caught my shoelaces on a vanity stool that I have in my bathroom, and it flipped and I lost balance and landed right on my knees. Mostly the left and it hurts. I have iced it all day long. The ladies came in and I was hobbling around with a ice wrap around my knee. I am hoping it is better tomorrow. I am tired. I ordered groceries from Whole Foods to be delivered 6-8 and they started texting me at 4 a.m. I am sad that I did not get the salmon. I had down that I would accept Atlantic salmon if they did not have sockeye and then I did not get any. They offered a frozen bag of pieces, and I said no. I am betting it was too early for the meat department to have the salmon out on ice. I had to get up and accept subs or deny them twice. I could not get back to sleep and I had stayed up late getting things ready for the ladies group brunch. We had a nice time. Lots of much needed laughing.

Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout one. That was 26 minutes and 187 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Cathy, nice job with STS 2.0 Mat Yoga.

Valerie, nice job with the elliptical, therapy exercises, and upper body exercises. I read that the final season of The Handmaids Tale is set to come out summer 2025. We watched Billions and the series had a year and half between seasons four and five. That occurred during Covid lockdown. We only started it last spring so the delay didn’t affect our viewing. We were able to go through the previous seasons and watched the final season as it occurred.

Judy, great job with STS 2.0 Chair Yoga and 1 hour Peloton ride.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Balance, Strength, and Core, Raw Kickboxing NRG, and CDorner stretch. I’m glad that you enjoyed your Ladies group get together.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone.

This morning I did Live Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing. They keep it really warm in here, no fan, and of course, I choose to do a 57 minute workout. Was drenched when I finished. Nick and I walked over to Smoothie King to get lunch, all of 5 minutes each way, and we're going climbing in a bit. Started working on my next rotation.

Carolyn great job with KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix.

Diane Sue nice job with Raw Balance Strength and Core, Raw Kickbox NRG and stretch. Sorry to hear you hurt your knees, I hope they are better soon.

Valerie great job with the elliptical, therapy and upper body work. At least Ghosts is only off for two weeks. For the last few years, all I've done is watch older things with a bunch of seasons that are off the air, so the whole catching up to where the current season is, is something that I haven't dealt with in like 20 years, because we don't have any type of cable or even antennae TV.

Judy nice job with the yoga and Peloton ride.

We are in an area without TV reception. we have no choice. we had an antennae but it became less and less operable. oo many trees for dish. we get internet & streaming via telephone cable. used to have cable TV but it got more and more expensive and didnt include anything to watch. 57 channels and all that. we have a deal now for U tube TV. it works at both houses even 2 states apart. we dont get premium movie channels. its expensive to add all the streaming channels on, especially if you dont want ads. No ads. I would not watch anything if I had to sit thru ads. the oscars were bad enough. I dont spend a lot of time watching TV but has to be ad free. or no way.

did the mt bike ride thru the neighborhood today. 45 minutes. and about half the therapy. I cant do it completely every day so I do half one day and half the next or some comp[romise.

2 weeks isnt bad. now 2 years and it starts getting hard to remember where you left off.

look out for those knees diane sue. icing and resting them is the best you can do. i would hold out for sockeye. atlantic salmon is insipid IMO.

Last edited:
Today I did CDorner 45 minutes arms(chest &back) 46 minutes, 123 calories, heart rate 94/133. I finished with STS 2.0 chair yoga plus a little of a CDorner mobiity, 24 minutes, 35 calories. Total time was 70 minutes, 158 calories. My knee still hurts, but I can bend it more and it is a bit better. It hurts more tonight, but I have been busy around the house and outside.

Once in a while I will stop and watch a movie with my husband. I am not much of a television watcher other than news. I watched Fury with Brad Pitt with my husband which was a WW II drama. Done well. It was very graphic though and I had to hide my face a few times. So terribly sad. It drew my attention though when my husband was watching it. We rented one the other night that was awful with a lousy ending with Russians and US astronauts out in space looking down at a war going on on earth. They ended up fighting and killing each other and a Russian man and US woman were headed back to earth away from the bombing, THE END. Waste of my time. I really prefer lighthearted movies and comedies that do not have nasty humor. There have been some series that we have watched and liked and then they leave you hanging and never finish the series.

Judy, nice work on the peloton ride today and yoga yesterday.

Carolyn, nice work on KCM Cardio Quick Fix workout #1 today.

Valerie, good job on the bike ride around the neighborhood and therapy work today. My husband usually goes back and watches portions of series he likes before he watches the next season. Then again he rewatches series that he really likes and purchases them. We have lots of series and movies we own. My daughter used to have to use a special like to get any internet where they live, but AT&T finally got that far out. She still loses touch with me at certain points when she calls me on her way home from work. We only use cable for internet, not TV. We use a streaming service for that. Sports costs is ridiculous and I am hoping to figure out a lower cost way when my husband watches college football. It cost 100 dollars to sign up on ROKU and then we couldn't watch it with out another streaming service. I got Sling blue and still did not work and had to add to the cost by getting the yellow or whatever it was. As soon as the college season was over I got rid of part of sling. I get Paramount plus through my Walmart+ account, no extra charge.
You are right about Atlantic Salmon. Usually I get a couple of pounds of sockeye and cut it into serving size pieces and freeze it. It was disappointing. Walmart only sells fatty looking atlantic salmon so I did decide to wait. I usually eat salmon and wild planet tuna several times a week.

Cathy, nice work on Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing today. That is funny that your son goes back and forth to the store to pick up things that often. When I used to go to the store I always picked up a protein bar and a Rebel drink or Kombucha tea. I would be in trouble if I did it that often.

I have several medical appts today, one I am not looking forward to. the other just a sign off. I never thought I would end up with so many medical issues piling up needing decisions.

streaming gets more and more convoluted. the only device we can get to work is Apple TV. there is so much air time to fill, some movies that get dredged out are awful. even with a well known person in it, it can be total junk. I try to glance at reviews to get an idea ahead of time because if a movie is awful I'd stop and move to something else but DH will plow thru even the dumbest things. I feel like a half hour wasted is not the best but its better than 2 hours wasted. neither of us like sports. I am still looking for a reasonably reliable reviews. rotten tomatoes. toms guide. I'm sure there are more. we all have different tastes so dont expect 100 % agreement but junk is junk and I'd rather watch nothing. we sat thru an angelina Jolie movie not long ago that was just completely insultingly stupid. she used to be in reasonable movies but this was a bow wow.

diane sue, Fury movie was excellent. Brad Pitt is great to look at, but he is an outstanding actor too. Talk about aging well! it was a brutal movie about an awful time in history. a good well written series is something I can watch more than once too. we have some favorites and have watched them twice with a big time break in between. Its fascinating how much you miss the first time thru. we often back up and watch the last part of the previous season before going to the next season. usually thats enough of a reminder of where it left off.

Today I did RWH Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders, 2 sets and no finishers. My time was 29 minutes and 115 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 140. Then I did STS 2.0 Chair Yoga for an additional 21 minutes.

Cathy, nice job with Live Love Me Some Cardio Kickboxing.

Valerie, nice job with biking in your neighborhood and doing part of the therapy exercises. I am not much of a movie person, but I will watch them occasionally. My husband, on the other hand, loves both movies and television. We both enjoy football. There is so much available on the various streaming platforms and networks but I find it hard to find things that interest me. I would much rather read something. Good luck with your medical appointments.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Arms (chest and back), Chair Yoga, and CDorner Mobility. I love wild Alaskan salmon as you know. It’s disappointing when you are expecting something like that in your food order and it doesn’t come.

Waving hello to Judy.

10 hours on the road today and another 10 tomorrow. Plus we add back in the hour we lost. I think I finally found the way to go to and from Nick's. Going down we ended up going across above DFW and using toll roads. Can't wait to get that envelope in the mail. But, coming back, I went up to Gainesville and then east over to 75 and worked over further from there. A fair amount of backroads, but I can deal with that. Once we got back into MO traffic really picked up and was pretty congested at times. We'll have that tomorrow until about the last 3 hours. Only ran into some light rain, but at one point we were not far ahead of a pretty nasty storm. By the time it got to the area where we are staying it had dissipated.

Carolyn great job with RWH Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders, 2 sets and no finishers and Chair Yoga.

Diane Sue nice job with CDorner 45 minutes arms, Chair Yoga and mobility. At least Nick's getting some exercise doing it. LOL And it's probably a really good thing that I don't live a 5 minute walk from a Smoothie King. LOL

Valerie nice job with the mountain bike ride and therapy. I had YouTube TV and wanted to trim my budget temporarily, so right now I have Max, Peacock and Paramount. I'm probably going to get History Hit again soon for a month or two. They've added some new things I want to see, and then I'll cancel. I also, want to get Netflix again for a few months to see some things. My parents have cable, and we've tried to work on the streaming thing with them, but my Mom cannot handle change. My sister brought her small Roku TV when she visited last time to show them how easy it is to use, but my Mom wanted nothing to do with it. My Dad refuses to use a credit card online for anything, which is also a problem. He was complaining though some of the sports they want to watch being moved to streaming services. Last time I was down I put Peacock on his laptop so they could watch Big10 basketball, as I had extra accounts available. They will need Apple TV to watch the Tigers this year, and I think my sister has that and can share her account. It's gotten really crazy.

Hi Judy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.