Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/19

Hi Ladies,

I did not workout last night, but will be doing a boot camp class plus spinning.
It has been a sad week for me, my DD broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years and
It hit me hard, because I think of him and my own son. The last year has been hard for them, a lot of arguing and I knew that they were growing apart.

He is a good kid, but needs to be more independent and be more ambitious.

Garance, the rides are long, but the scenery is beautiful and there is nothing that I love better than being outside.

Valerie, my bike has a regular bike seat for a road bike, but I added a gel seat and I wear my padded pants. It makes for a more comfortable ride. I saw one of my training leaders using the gel seat and I asked her if it would be too much, but she said that it would be comfortable, but I did have to adjust the height on my seat to accommodate for the extra inch.

Deb, I’m glad that you got some sleep.

Hi to Cathy and Joan!

Josie

Deb, netflix lists Downton Abbey having subtitles. go to the set up menu and turn them on, and sometimes you need to do it more than once.... a feature that doesn't always click on like it should. I don't bother with British movies if they don't have subtitiles. the same words used differently than in the US, and I simply can't hear what they're saying. too frustrating.

Yoga cancelled this morning, instructor was sick and didn't get to the studio early enough to send out a notice so I'd driven in anyway. a lot of rain and serious wind yesterday and a lot of roads were closed by fallen trees.

We went very neutral/bland furniture. sofa is mushroom color, chairs dark brown leather. it's not a very bright room but it is open to the kitchen..very bright ... which has lots of granite. the floor is a stone tile look, so neutral is best. I'm happy with it. Lots of cinnamon red sofas/chairs while we were looking but not good for us. we have blinds/ shades on all the windows that get direct sunlight. really cuts fading and keeps heat out in summer, in at night in winter so I believe they were a cost effective investment.

I'm getting serious about my diet again and taking another run at it. I've been working out if I don't cut my intake, I'll never lose. I don't have bad habits or junk food intake, I eat a little too much to lose. I don't think maintaining will be too hard, I've been stable for years, would just like to be 10 lbs less.

I've noticed much better core strength from indirect core work. I do abs regularly but since the LIS I am definitely noticing improvements. burpees... I feel so much in the core. the moves where you slide legs back forth, legs in and out, mt climbers etc... getting to like those moves they work for me better than sit up moves.

Linda I made the salad and it is very good. I tested it before dinner, DH hasn't tried it yet. Can't believe what's actually in there. I'd never guess. very tasty.

Did AT today. my physical went fine. I'm going to be around for a while yet I guess! might as well work hard and be in shape....

Good morning all,

It's FRIDAY!!
banana016.gif

Valerie, I will make sure I get all info I can from you and Josie when/if I am ready to take the plunge and buy a bike. My new DVD player even has a "sub-title" button on it. I will use it the next time I watch because I am like you and sometimes cannot hear what they are saying when it's a British accent. I was fine with All Creatures Great and Small, no hearing or understanding issues. I guess the accent in East Anglia was easier or the actors spoke more clearly.

Garance, comfort dinner Sunday?

Josie, sorry about your DD's break up, but as they say, better now than after a marriage, children etc. It doesn't make it any easier though.

Any plans for the weekend? I am going to just do Agility, and normal HouseMax. Otherwise relax and hopefully get a good nap in on Saturday!

Take care,

We routinely turn on subtitles. I don't always need them but we're used to seeing them on the screen, and they're nice for the occasional unintelligible word. british movies have always been a problem for me. there's one TV series that I gave up on, The Closer. no subtitles and I can't understand the actress ( brenda?) at all. Nice to have a player with a button, assuming it works. Lots of buttons on our various remotes don't do what they say they will.

We're heading somewhere for a few days, plan to leave tomorrow morning and be back Wed. weather does not look good anywhere so we may change direction at the last minute.

with bikes it depends on what fits and feels good. I had a gel seat cover at one time and didn't like it. I sit better on a narrow firmer seat. the shop we bought from... the guy looked at each of us and instantly lined up several bikes that would fit. DH and I have the same inseam but he has a longer torso so we needed different size frames. we tested them by riding loops around the parking lot. we had a price range we wanted to stay in, wasn't hard to pick. you can spend a small fortune on a bike but it's not necessary.

Happy Friday!

I will be riding Saturday (52 miles) and Sunday (45miles). My spinning instructor has been training us on hills all month and I can really feel the difference when I’m out on the road.

I may go shopping with my DD for some interview clothes and maybe a mani-pedicure for both of us.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.).

I am going to see The Artist tomorrow, and not sure about Sunday, except I will be sure to watch the Oscar show.

Campus is overrun with high schoolers doing the college tour, so you know it must be vacation time.

Glad you liked the salad, Valerie. I was somewhat shocked by the reviews as well, given the ingredients. DH says the almonds really make the dish, so next time I make it, I will put in extra. I will also halve the recipe, and will still have enough for a couple lunches.

More paper-grading. I am such a procrastinator. I just keep telling myself it's my last semester grading papers. Yay!

I 'll miss the oscars this year unless DH records it. he doesn't want to leave all that stuff on for days so I'm not sure I'll get to see them. late is better than not at all. I love billy Crystal and doubt he'll do it again after this time. took enough years to get him coerced into doing it this time!. I haven't seen any of the nominees except midnight in paris so no predictions.

Josie , too bad about your DD. it's probably easier to go thru than a divorce. maybe with a little time out they'll reconnect and iron out the differences.

Linda, I made half a recipe of the salad. DH thought it needed something sweet in it like cranberries but I got sick of cranberries after doing it for too long. I'm going to look around for more uses of raw brussels sprouts. better raw than cooked.

Good morning all!

Great night's sleep, except for the "wake up calls" by Keegan to be let out around 2:00. John said I woke him up so he could let Keegan out...I don't even remember doing it. Then he got up at 4:00 with Kylee and took them both downstairs. I don't remember that either. I woke up at 5:00 and got up. It was heavenly.

Out for breakfast, then Keegan's agility class, then HouseMax, or maybe I'll skip and see if my cousin wants to do anything.

Take care,

We're reconsidering our options. weather is totally crapped out, mixed rain and snow,wind. not good for traveling especially since where we planned to go is going to be worse. bummer, we managed to pick the couple days when there's no decent direction to head.

did 45 min on the spin bike yesterday. If I put a band aid on the bottom of my toe it works better.

Hope you catch up on sleep Deb.
Josie, I wish I was in California right now, tired of rain.

Hi Deb and Valerie--

This morning was Housemax.

Yeah, Valerie, I thought I heard on GMA that the Pacific Northwest was getting hit, and I thought of you. We are getting a lot of wind here and significantly colder than it's been for awhile. I think I will try your DH's suggestion next time on the salad. Sounds good. Maybe dried cherries, too.

I will be seeing The Artist this afternoon, and see what all the fuss is about. There's supposed to be a particularly delightful dog--a Jack Russell Terrier--in the film. Maybe you would like that, Deb. We will be going to comfort Sunday tomorrow. I think one of the courses is pasta carbonara, no doubt with DH's bacon. By the way, Deb, I received Downton Abbey today, so I will put a check in the mail for you. Thanks!!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

We'll decide this afternoon after the 3:30 weather update what to do. storm is not that bad down here, mountains sound unpleasant. a mudslide across one road we were planning on using, stopping traffic in both directions. guess we won't go there...! we may make it to the coast yet, just a little shorter trip. always risky taking vacation days in Feb.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.