Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/14 ♥♥♥

well, i had a migraine and a bad attack of the reflux last nite, so that is all i can think of that has zonked me so bad today. did not get to the 2nd w/out i want ed to do. barely made it thru the SS pre-mix i did. i can only think it was cuz of how bad i felt last nite.
i have been pretty worthless all day.

so, question, ya'll heard of density training? here is some info:

"As an example, let's pick 3 exercises: the overhead press, the dumbbell row, and the squat.

Setting these up in a circuit fashion, you perform them one after another with little rest in between.

Instead of having a set number of reps, we're going to be forming each of these exercises for TIME–you simply have to do as many as you can in a given time period.

To make it easy, let's say you did each of the above exercises for 30 seconds. In performing such a circuit, your results might look like this:

Overhead Press: 25 pound dumbbells for 20 reps
DB Row: 40 pound dumbbells for 18 reps
Squat: 100 pound barbell for 22 reps

Not too shabby. Now, HERE is where it gets crazy.

We’re going to take advantage of some cool things that happen in the body; triggers that happen which will make you more efficient and more capable.

To do that, we're going to INCREASE the weight by 10-20% and try to do MORE reps.

Does that seem impossible? It isn't. Due to neuromuscular junction and neural activation, in almost ALL cases, you'll be able to do just that.

Your second attempt at that circuit might look like this:

Overhead Press: 30 pound dumbbells for 23 reps
DB Row: 50 pound dumbbells for 20 reps
Squat: 120 pound barbell for 25 reps

Density training is fun, challenge-based, burns a heck of a lot of fat, "

oh well, anyway, i truly hope i feel alot better tomorrow.

Thursday

Good Morning,

No workout, this cold is taking a lot out of me. I have a DR appointment this morning, not because of the cold but because we changed insurance and I had to find a new DR. This will be my first Apt with this one, hope I like him. John went to him the other night for the first time and he really liked him a lot.

Joan, thanks for the reminder about the internet....I am drawn to it at times and it is making me crazy.

Cathy, we hear tomorrow, John calls the surgeon for the secondary path results. This has been a long week. I agree with Garance, have you had your blood checked for low blood sugar? I have heard of density training but not spelled out like that. Are you going to try that type of workout?

Garance, I did not watch the Westminster, but saw the PETA thing on Yahoo home page. I was glad they got Boo'd. Right when the Best in show was being announced?

Josie, I have been called for jury duty 3 times, but it has been about 10 years since the last time I was called. It is interesting if they are criminal cases, but the civil ones are boring. Have you reviewed your P-57 workouts yet?

Valerie, what are you up to today?

Off for more coffee....gotta wake up!

Take care,

We went xc skiing yesterday. it was a gorgeous sunny day and the mountains were just spectacular. unfortunately we went to a spot that was a bit too steep for us. we are not great skiers and have found we can go up things using climbing skins that are hard to get back down! so we zig zagged carefully, and walked a section but got down OK. next time we'll try snowshoeing the area instead. we have traditional xc gear, not backcountry gear which is a lot more heavy duty. we also are lacking downhill ski skills.

Deb, hope you get good news about DH and that he doesn't need further scanning. the internet has lots of information but it's often not in the right perspective and needlessly alarming.

Cathy those are some pretty formidable weights and reps. Can you lift that kind of weight? If so, how long did it take to get up that high? I like to think I can work up to bigger weights but squatting 100 lbs? Yipes.
You really should get some meds to help the reflux. having reflux often can damage the lower part of the esophagus so it's not just uncomfortable, it can cause serious changes. Even keeping a food journal might help. some people get reflux from specific foods and once identified, can avoid them. some common things like coffee, peppermint, tomato sauce, chocolate, orange juice can cause reflux for some.

garance, it was fun equipment to train people on. I'd still do it if I had the chance. Usually people were looking forward to new equipment to make their jobs easier or more efficient so it was a win-win for everyone.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Cardio Barre (55 min.). I think this is even more groan-worthy than P-57. High dread factor.

Deb, I DVR'd the Westminster and have not watched all of it yet, but I knew Sadie won because she was on MSNBC. So there was some PETA demonstration? Have not seen that yet. We are all rooting for good news tomorrow.

Cathy, I think I would just be jerking those dumbbells around if I was asked to do as many reps as I could in a certain time. There is no way I could do overhead shoulder raises with 25 lb. dumbbells for more than a couple reps. Those look like very heavy weights to me. I thought it was better to go slow and heavy and keep momentum out of the moves. Are you taking some medication for the acid reflux? I thought there were several out there now.

Josie, be thankful you were dismissed. I was on a civil case that bored the hell out of me--a land dispute.

Joan, have you tried any BBL? Or are you waiting for March as the start day?

Valerie, good for you on the x-country skiing. I used to do that and really thought it was a great workout. My knees are too unstable to do anymore. If we had any serious snow, I would put the snowshoes on, though.

My paper proposal was accepted for a Hughes conference next fall, so I am off to Cambridge England in September.

Finally Friday

Hi,

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. All I can say is the DR better be available when John calls him this morning. I don;t think we can stand to wait the weekend.

Garance, congratulations on the acceptance of your paper!

Valerie, John and I have not put on our x-country skis in about 25 years. We had a blizzard here in 1985 and it was so bad nothing could be moved, no cars etc. so we x-country skied to my brothers house. It was fun, but then we had to do the same thing to get back.....not much as fun. I think that was the last time we used them. It is a great workout.

Hi to Joan, Josie & Cathy,

take care,

Cross country skiing is a great workout. I love outdoor things, skiing, hiking, biking. All the indoor workouts are primarily to stay in shape for the outdoor ones, although I'm really getting to enjoy weight training, something I never thought I'd say. Did disk 17, legs, yesterday and pushed up the weights and surprisingly not very sore today. Maybe if I keep repeating legs I'll reach a point where I don't get sore.

We have a lovely weekend setting up and need to decide what to do! Bike? hike? probably not ski since the snow is a long drive and after several clear sunny days it sets up into concrete/ice. Snowshoeing is great exercise too, and less hazardous than skiing.

Are you all watching the Olympics? Wow, those crashes the women took on the downhill were spectacular! west coast is getting everything delayed so we're recording and then replaying so we can FF thru the commercials and fluff.

Deb, hope you get good news about DH.
Cathy, over head presses with 25-30 lbs? wow. Squats with 100? I'm nowhere near that level. I was feeling proud for doing squats with two 20's yesterday.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Athletic Step (47 min.).

Deb, I hope you have some good news to report later.

Valerie, I am not such an outdoors enthusiast. The cold can really get to me and makes me just want to curl up with a good book. Once I get going with the snowshoes, though, I really can work up a sweat. Today would be great if it were not so darn windy. I have been watching a lot of the Olympics, but also DVR'ing it because it is on so late. I recorded the men's finals in skating last night and will probably watch that tonight.

I just read that someone has made a film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I hope it is as good as the book, which I loved. I think I have recommended this one before and its sequel. There's one more to be released pretty soon.

BBL to see if Deb posts.

Happy Friday Ladies,

I plan on riding my bike this weekend if it does not rain. I heard that it might rain tomorrow. If so I will ride on Sunday and do my Kevin wo and spinning on Saturday.

Deb, I'm praying that you and your DH get good news today.

Garance, I would love to read these books. In which order should I start?

Cathy, the wo that you wrote about sounds like what I do with Kevin, but we do not lift heavy. The circuit last for 30 minutes and then we do 30 minutes of cardio.

Valerie, have a great workout this weekend!

Joan, you need a break!

Josie

Hi Josie--

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is first; then The Girl who Played with Fire; the third title has Hornet's Nest in it and I have pre-ordered it from Amazon. The heroine, Lisbeth Salander, is fascinating. The author is Stieg Larsson. Really hard to put down.

Hi,

No report today. the DR called John to let him know he did not get it today, hopefully Monday. I left work because I was feel crappy, and wanted to just crash. I am going to try to nap a bit.

will check in in the am...

Sorry Deb,

I think every report we were to get on dm was on a Friday and they never came in on time.

Ds called early this morning and car wouldn't start. I drove to his house to give hime my car and then he drove me home.

Garance Congratulations. How long would you be in England?

After my father died when I was 12-13, we didn't have any money except a $10000 life ins policy. Between my Jr and Sr year in HS my mother paid for me to spend 4 week at a university in England and a week in London and a week in Paris as a foreign exchange student. I appreciated at the time but as an adult I was even more impressed with what she has given me.

Not much work done today. My dm leg is still infected after 7 days on antibiotic and we thought we would have to take her to the emergency room. She doesn't want to go but I have given her until the end of the 10 day prescription.

Joan

Saturday

Hi all,

Got here late. John and I went out for breakfast then had some errands to do. I tried napping, this cold has really taken hold of me. I am fighting it the best I can. No workout, have HouseMax stuff to do and tons of laundry.

Joan, the leg sounds serious, maybe the ER is not a bad idea.

What is everyone else up to this weekend?

oh ya'll, i'm sorry, that is not the weights i use. that is an example that i just copied and pasted. i did go almost that heavy in STS meso 3, but that is the only time. i was just asking ya'll opnion on that kind of training.

josie, who is kevin? do you have a personal trainer? can you give me an idea of how you actully put a w/out like that together? i would like to try it.

and, yes, i am on medication for the AD, i had tons of tests run, lost of bloodwork ($500) worth. YIKES!!! and the dumb insurance would not pay for the bloodwork. doesn't that stink? currently , i take 2 nexium in the morning, but for some reason, i still get bad attacks occasionally. not alot anymore. but, i do have to be careful what i eat. but, the migraine and the GERD at the same time 'bout killed me. we were taking the g/kids home, and the whole way there and back, i was dying.

yesterday, i did CAWT, (the firm) and, it is soooo tough. i went very heavy on the wt. work. haven't done it in awhile. but, i have been getting sick all week, and i guess doing that hard workout just put me over the top. i felt horrible the rest of the day yesterday. have ahad a sore throat, and a bad cough. i am feeling a bit better tonite. didn't workout today. can't even remember what i did on thursday.
oh yeah, i remember. i did calorie killer and firm abs.

but, i'm gonna rest this wekend i think. i need to let my body get better. ya'll have a nice sunday.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.