Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/05/2023

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning.

did therapy work and 30 on elliptical saturday.

looked at the terry site briefly and it looks like prices have gone up. bike shorts are always expensive. Terry has all kinds of different fits and lengths, from shorts to full length winter tights. they offer a lot of different chamois styles too, some are minimalist and others are much more padded. even the underwear is alot of $$. REI carries some of the terry line and maybe other sports stores do too. it is very good quality.

Last edited:
Just finished Legit Legs. Hadn't done that one before. Definitely a good, varied workout that moves pretty quickly. I used the 10-15's that Cathe used. She said go heavier at home, but I hadn't done it before, so I stayed with those. Pretty sure I'll be feeling some areas tomorrow. Also uses the high step and gliding devices.

Valerie great job with the therapy and elliptical. Glad to hear you weren't sore after the upper body! I admire those who can do the same workouts. I get too bored. :confused: And I've backed myself into the corner since I put together my finished step routine, because now I have no interest in doing those individually with the breakdowns.

Carolyn it's too bad the cold kept you from the farmers market, but I get it. I've started making myself go out and walk the paths once a day, because I'm really bad about doing anything but going from car to building, or at most going to get the mail.

Diane Sue nice job with Low Impact Cardio Walking Workout and Cardio Weight Stretch. That's funny that your dog came in acting guilty. Cats NEVER do that. LOL It's warmed up here too. Going up to 41, though our real feel will not be much above freezing. But it will be above freezing! Snow should be gone by mid week.

Judy great job with the Peloton ride and Muscle Meltdowns Triceps and Shoulders. Yeah lower Michigan doesn't believe in sunshine. At least it seems that way!

I had to go back and edit the thread date. must have not done that right last night. think its ok now.

I used to like varied workouts but less adventurous lately. just want to get it done. I don't mind doing the same rides again and again either. not as many choices as there used to be with more people and more traffic, on roads, hiking, mt biking. less great weather days are usually way less busy and thats a big plus.

we decided long ago there are so few days when outdoor conditions are "ideal" that we could not always wait. I dont handle heat/humidity well but cold you can dress for, at least until it gets to way below zero. . colder and wetter is adaptable. I ( we) decided to tolerate discomfort for first 10 minutes of a ride or a hike . if still uncomfortable after 10 min, we stop and adjust, or bag it, depending. zip up or unzip, heavier gloves, etc. deciding I could be "too hot" or "too cold' for 10 minutes opened up a whole lot more days. most of the time, it's fine after 10 minutes. I dress for "me" under the conditions. I got to enjoy colder and damper times as much as those rare perfect weather days. washington almost certainly y has more cloudy days than even Michigan. I like cloudy better than bright sunshine. what does cathe say? "you can stand anything for a minute?" I do it for 10 with weather.

guilty? Cats? fat chance! they revel in their misdeeds. try to imagine your cat feeling guilty for bringing you dead mouse parts. not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Today was a rest day and I actually got up earlier and made it to church. I am trying to work myself into going to bed earlier. I put a reminder alarm on my phone that it is bedtime. I used to do that and generally managed to get in bed within the hour. It always seems I start winding down and then remember things like laundry in the dryer or dishes still in the sink. Something to distract me.

Valerie, I get bored after a while and want to do something different. It would help if I had a plan. Sometimes I have in mind a certain workout and forget till I start that there is something I do not want to do, or more impact than I am ready for that day. I clicked the link you gave but it did not pull up the Terry site. It just pulled up the name. I tried clicking on the name and got nothing. Maybe Amazon has some. I started looking at Amazon last night at "bed time" reminded myself to stop. So will look today. I can do a search. I think everything has gone up a lot. I am shocked half the time when I go to purchase something. I saw that you had started the thread last night. When I got up this morning it was in the 30's and I was undecided so put on a cardigan over my dress and stuffed a coat in the car just in case. I was sweating in the car on the way home and wishing I did not have the cardigan on. I guess the sun on the glass heated it up nicely. It is pretty out today.

Cathy, I keep thinking that I need to sign up for a month or two of Cathe Live for a change. But then I wonder if I will be able to use much of it with my different off and on joint issues. That is the advantage to knowing the workout ahead of time. Jessica Smith had a workout that was disappointing, and she starts out sitting in a chair squeezing a pillow with her knees. It seemed more like it would be therapy moves. I always start a new work lighter the first time through. Animals are funny creatures. Mine looks at my face and I swear she can read the look. Funny thing is sometimes she will sneak around the table, look at me when she arrives at the door to see if I am looking. If I turn away she goes out and if I watch her she changes her mind. Like a child planning something not so good.

Carolyn, I hope you had a good day and got in your yoga/stretch for the day.

Good afternoon. This morning I did 20 minutes of yoga with Jane Adams.

Diane Sue, nice work with CDorner Cardio Walking and Cardio Weights with Stretching.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride and Muscle Meltdown Triceps and Shoulders.

Cathy, nice job with Legit Legs. Cathe’s lower body workouts definitely have you feeling it the next day!

Valerie, good job with the elliptical and therapy exercises. It’s good that you have figured out what’s best for you with your workouts. I prefer more variety which is one reason that I like Cathe’s rotations. It’s very easy for me to make a substitution without starting from scratch.

Diane Sue, I just saw your post for today. I’m glad that you made it to church. I noticed that your posts have been a little earlier in the evening lately. Enjoy your rest day.

Official Terry Site: Womens Cycling Apparel, Saddles & Gear (terrybicycles.com)

diane sue this is her site. when you google "terry" you end up with a lot of "terry bradshaw". sometimes she (Terry) has some things at REI but they never carry most of her line. the european styled things are especially pricey. there arent many companies that make cycling shorts for women. Pearl Izumi is one but Terry shorts IMO fit better and use nicer fabric. I tried some PI ones on and they were too thin. I dont remember looking for Terry things on amazon. I've had most of her shorts for many years. they hold up well.

did my therapy and then x train bi's and tris the first 6 rotations.

plan on mt biking this morning, monday. low 40's and damp but not raining... yet. probably best chance today. it tends to rain lightly here for a long time. a short ride avoiding the big rocks we got into last time. 3 layers on top. a synthetic hoodie, a synthetic 1/4 zip shirt over, and wind block tights. a light shell jacket over it. long finger gloves that aren't especially insulated. the hoodie covers head and neck in a thin layer. helmet with helmet cover. its comfortable. a hat is hard to fit under a helmet. this covers my neck. all layers zip up or down. its my usual outfit for cool weather riding both mt or road. different pants for hiking but otherwise the same. I keep it simple and I stick with what works. I know a lot of people wont ride during this season/ temp but its actually pleasant. I'm not into suffering. we are kicking ourselves for not figuring out a trip to arizona this year. wore the same clothes there. we are flying to CA at the end of the week for a short visit, and these clothes will work there too.

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 258 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 162.

Valerie, nice job with XTRAIN Bis and Tris and therapy exercises. I hope that your ride goes well today.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Diane Sue.

This morning I did Upper Body Ball-tastic. I really thought I'd done it before, but I didn't remember it at all. I good workout. Works one area at time. I cut the abs in half because I started late and wanted to be at my parents around noon. Had a good visit. My Mom was in a good mood for the most part, but when she was supposed to be eating lunch, a piece of bread with cheese spread and a butterscotch pudding, it took her forever because she'd get up wander around, not really doing anything and go back and sit down eat some more, repeat. Not sure if that's typical of every meal, but I'd never noticed it at that extreme before.

Valerie I actually don't mind outside activities at the same places. Seasonal change, and animal activity makes it always a bit different. Hope your ride today went well. Speaking of cats a bored winter Chester is a PITA Chester. He's become obsessed with the baby's breath in my current flower arrangement, and every morning I find stalks laying on the counter and a few flowers broken off. He doesn't bother the other flowers. Last week he took the tiny aloe plant, newest growth, out of the pot and tossed it on the floor, last night I was making Dijon potatoes and I had set all the ingredients out, sprayed the baking dish, and turned around to find him on the counter LICKING the cooking spray in the dish. Ugh! It was never my idea to let him outside in the first place, but right now, I'd be happy to see him out there more!

Diane Sue you'd probably have to preview the workouts on Cathe Live to see what would work. If you have time you could watch the clips on the forum to at least get some ideas before trying it. My sisters dog is hilarious in his ability to communicate his thoughts and feelings with his eyes and body language. You are left in no doubt what his thoughts are. LOL

Carolyn great job with the yoga and Cardio Party.

we did our ride this morning, drizzling on and off , 45 degrees. it wasn't nice but not as unpleasant as it sounds. DH changes to warmer gloves before the downhill run back to the car but I don't need to. the heavy gloves are bulky and make it harder to shift and brake. we did a shorter ride 70 min, about 5 miles. its harder work than indoor but like it more even if weather isn't great. its always easier for me to "go hard" outdoors. we were the only ones there. wet with many puddles.

chester sounds like a hoot! I would not be happy with him licking out a dinner serving dish. hopefully your father will be able to manage your mother's care long term.

my sister is having more problems. she needs a colonoscopy and endoscopy. had blood in her stool. she was going to take an appt in May but I made a fuss and said she needs to do something sooner. it might be nothing but it also might be 'something". no way should that get ignored for >3 months.

Today I did Perfect 30 Perfect Pump Upper Body, 43 minutes (took me longer than around 30 making adjustments and answering the door two times) heart rate 07/124, 118calories, 509 steps(probably from running to the door). I thend did Cathe X10 low impact with the warm up and stretch and skipping most of the glider portions, 22 minutes, 100 calories, heart rate 122/161, 1,350 steps. I finished CDorner relaxing flow mobility, neck/ upper back/shoulders 28 minutes, heart rate 82/113, 52 calories, 41 steps.
Total time 93 minutes, 270 calories, 1,900 steps.
Perfect Pump Upper Body
w/up tubing and 3# dumbbells
Pullover set #1 8# dbs 10 reps
Pullover Set #2 10# dbs 10 reps
one arm row set #1 20# 12 reps
one arm row set # 2 20# db 10 reps
bent over clutch row 15# dbs 10 reps
posture pull with tubing
rapid row toss 20# db reps ?? (this is hand to hand pass row
standing sweeper cul 16# dbs 10 reps
clutch curls 15# dbs 10 reps
biceps curls set #1 15# dbs 10 reps
biceps curls set # 2 12# dbs 10 reps
biceps curls set #3 10# dbs 10 reps
incline front V lat raise combo 12 reps 5# dbs
lateral raise 5# dbs 12 reps
scarecrow 5# dbs 12 reps
push press 8# dbs 12 reps
tubing shoulders and chest
incline bench press 10# dbs 16 reps
incline clutch press 10# dbs 10 reps
decline push up 4 point skipped
overhead extension 15# db 12 reps
kickbacks tubing
kickbacks 10# dbs 10 reps
push ups with step top skipped
triceps dips #1 10# db 20 reps
triceps dips #2 10# db 18 reps
triceps dips #3 10# db 12 reps
stretch

Sunday was a rest day. Yesterday I did a very light 30 minute Peloton ride.

Valerie-Great job with the the elliptical, therapy work, x train bis and tris and your bike ride. I'm sorry about your sister's problem. I hope it's nothing serious. I agree, it's better for her to go in sooner.

Carolyn-Great job with yoga and Cardio Party.

Cathy-Great job with Legit Legs and Upper Body Ball-tastic. Chester sounds like a fun cat. Shadow is like that too. She gets obsessed with things and can be a little destructive. She loves to counter surf and can open the cupboards. We have child safety locks on all the kitchen cupboards now because of her.

Diane Sue-Nice job getting a rest day in and getting up earlier. Great job with Perfect 30 Perfect Pump Upper Body, X10 Low Impact and CDorner relaxing flow mobility. I need to do X10 again. It's been ages since I've done it.

This morning I did STS Total Body, single sets premix. My time was 59 minutes with 336 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 174.

Cathy, nice job with Upper Body Ball-tastic. I’m glad that you had a good visit with your parents.

Valerie, nice job getting a ride done even with drizzling weather.

Diane Sue, great job with P30 Perfect Pump Upper Body. X 10 Low Impac, and CDorner mobility. I considered doing X 10 Low Impact last week but decided against it.

Judy, nice job with taking a rest day followed by a light Peloton ride.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Step Moves 45 minutes, heart rate 124/146, 219 calories, 3,435 steps. I followed it with X Train Legs doing portions of it. I skipped the warm up since I did cardio and started with the single leg deadlifts doing them twice with 10# dbs, then did the work with feet on the chair bridges, the ball work, and floor work with 3# ankle weights on. This was 38 minutes, 96 calories, heart rate 92/118,162 steps. Total time was 83 minutes, 315 calories, 3,597 steps.

Today I did the Mixed Up Step I put together. Second time I've done it, and I spent some time during it wondering why I thought it was a good idea to put a 14 minute segment of Intensity in the middle. LOL But, I did do it. I've been eying a pair of legging from American Eagle for months and they got down to almost $30 off so I bought them. Got my usual size and they arrived yesterday. Took them out of the package and they seriously looked toddler size. :eek: But the material is actually very flexible and they fit perfect.:D

Valerie great ride today. I'll just say that Chester is never boring! In the moment, I don't often find him amusing.

Judy nice job with the Peloton ride. Chester can open cupboards though he doesn't do it often. The worst is that sometimes at night, he'll go to one particular one and just keep opening it and letting it slam shut...over and over. He'll go months without doing it and then want to do it every night, so once he does it once, I put something in front of it. I've found him in the bathroom under the sink before, and he's opened the one my Instant Pot is in. Years ago, I had multiple cats who would get in, and while Chester has opened doors in both directions, those cats were all clearly right or left pawed and could only figure out how to open cupboards that flipped one direction.

Carolyn great job with STS Total Body.

Diane Sue nice job with Step Moves and Xtrain Legs.

Valerie, thank you for the link. Terry has some really nice clothing. I used to layer up when we road on the motorcycle in cool weather I was never warm enough. I am sure you are pretty used to the weather there and well prepared when you go out. Your sister does need to get in soon. How does she get out to have those things done? We have have had light rain all day today. I am glad as it really has been pretty dry and they sprayed pre-emergent stuff on the lawn that needed watered in. I really did not want to go out and drag the sprinkler around since the sprinkler system has been winterized. This is the first house I have had the winterization done at. I do not think I am going to do it next year. I hope your flight to California is a pleasant one and no sitting around airports or mishaps.

Carolyn, nice work with Cardio Party yesterday and STS Total Body single sets today. I forgot some of the moves in the Low Impact X10 yesterday. I looked over the premixes for the lower body today and the moves on the workout manager the night before. I did not want to do all of the lunges on it and work more on the hamstrings today. I am working hard on the time adjustments. Although last night I fell asleep for 30 minutes and then had a long awake time and ended up sleeping longer than I wanted to. Hopefully tonight is better.

Cathy, I remember the name Balltastic, but not sure if I did it before or not. I always liked the workouts that used the stability ball unless it meant waving it side to side overhead for some cardio benefit. For some reason I always wanted that part over with. I like it when one area at a time is worked. I am glad that you had a nice visit with your parents. Cats are a whole different type of personality. They pretty much do whatever they want to. We had one that would get up on top of the refrigerator when no one was watching and knock the dog treats down so she could eat one. She was not allowed in my husband's chair because his work pants were black, and she was Siamese mix that looked Siamese. I had a pure Siamese cat growing up and that one had a totally different personality and kind of clung to just me. I was the one that had to go get it out from under some neighbors' bed once. How she got into their house is beyond me. My mom was the one that would put her outside. So, as soon as he went out the door she got in his chair. Always something. As adults we never let our cats outside. Licking the pan would not go well. I would not be happy about picking apart my flowers either.
The last pear of long leggings with the pockets for cell phone that I got looked pretty tiny out of the package. I am glad the fabric was thick enough that they are not translucent when I get them on. I got them through CDorner's site of clothing that she loves so figured they would be good. I have another pair in my wish list of the same ones. Just black. There are other colors, but I prefer black. She wears a lot of shiny ones and that is not for me at all. When she was with a friend at an Athleta store trying on things she tried on flowered ones and stated she does not normally buy ones with flowers on them. They did a video at the store since the store had let them film a workout inside the store.
Our pets give us a lot of pleasure watching them even though they sometimes are not that humorous. We laugh and enjoy our dog and the fish. I wish those fish would quit giving us more baby fish. Right now we have 6 babies that are about an inch and a half. We then found two bitty ones at about 1/2 an inch. The tiny ones stay in hiding and slip out at feeding time. They see my husband get out of his chair from across the room and swarm to the side of the tank. We were talking about how they are obviously watching us. He feeds them, so he gets more attention out of them than I do.

Judy, nice work getting in the Peloton ride. I hope that you enjoyed your rest day. I had in mind to do X10 Step as well, but I think I need to look at it first. I used to do the entire dvd, but think that might be pushing it.

Just finished Live To the Mat: Legs, Glutes and Core. It's a very good thing she puts a lot of stretching throughout that workout. LOL Uses both types of loops fabric and latex, plus the ball. The majority of the workout uses bands.

I swear we've had more sun in the last week than we did all of January put together! Loving it. And going to enjoy it today, since tomorrow it's gonna rain a lot. Enjoying the video clips from STS 2.0. I really like the looks of the core workouts, and I'm looking forward to the stretches and foam rolling. And I already know that I will NOT be matching her on a lot of weight work. :eek:

Diane Sue pure bred Siamese have very specific traits for sure. I'm also not a fan of cardio with the ball where you have to hold it over your head. My short arms find it really awkward, so I've started just using a smaller ball that is easier to hold. Same thing for the pendulum swings using them. Other than those things, I generally love using the stability ball.

Hi to all!

This morning I did Cardio Quick Fix, workout one, which was 26 minutes and 193 calories burned. Average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 164. I often pull this dvd out on Wednesday because I need a short, uncomplicated cardio workout. If fits perfectly in the available time that I have for working out.

Diane Sue, nice job with Step Moves and XTrain Legs. I feel the same way about winterizing the sprinkler system. We don’t bother doing it anymore.

Cathy, great job with your Mixed Up Step workout and Live To The Mat Legs, Glutes, and Core. It’s good that the new leggings fit well. I’ve had a similar experience with new leggings—usually a gift from one of my daughters.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

we are back from a very nice xc ski. 3 hrs 50 minutes. about 2 hours uphill, half an hour for lunch, then back down. feel a little uneasy with my knee, wrist and shoulder ( fragile body parts) but it worked Ok. not ideal snow but a pretty day out and the snow will only be good today. by tomorrow it will be mostly icy because the sun was melting the top layer, plus drips from trees, will freeze over tonight. a really nice trip for us. tomorrow I have an early doc appt, just routine exam. last time we tried this ski the snow was old, hard as glacial ice, and rutted from vehicles. thi time there was a load of new snow and it worked out nicely.
yesterday we woke up to no internet. amazing how inconvenient that is. no news, no online, newspaper etc. our print newspaper recently was cancelled so now we are online exclusively. some sort of car wreck took out the cable about a mile from here so it was out from middle of the night tuesday until 6 pm yesterday .

did elliptical, therapy and x train abs yesterday. a lot of work today, so that will be it for me.

so funny, I don't follow professional sports . I'm always surprised at how sports figures dominate the news. " Terry" for me means georgiana terry founder of Terry bicycles. I own about 10 pairs of shorts, capris and full length tights from her. we ride year round except for snow and ice.

in my experience, people overdress, sweat, then get cold. we always wear synthetic layers, and start out feeling a little cold. go for 10 min and reassess. when we get warm, its time to unzip or adjust. it was 32 degrees, I often wear long johns with lighter pants over. insulated pants are too warm and get sweat going. we've done this for 50 years. we each know what works. we don't layer the same. I need to keep my ears covered but light gloves, non insulated boots. DH wants heavy gloves,insulated boots but his ears aren't sensitive.

cats are such a trip and so different from each other. we had siamese cats growing up. I ve had short hair shelter kitties. losing the last little guy killed me and I didn't get another. always amazed at how they jump or climb to the most inaccessible places. we never had a "cabinet opening" cat. every single one drank out of the toilets no matter what kind of water bowl we had for them. had a toilet paper unroller once.

I would not like shiny tights. no pastels unless they are floral or print of some kind. I cant get my head around wearing them publiclyexcept for a pair of winter level tights for hiking. I sleep in a pair of light floral capri tights that I love. I would wear at a gym if we went to one but not out socially. somehow looks wrong to me.

I just tried some tights from Title 9, were ridiculously long. at least 6 inches too long . I mostly buy capri lengths or 7/8 but these were full length. a big NO. I like floral or geometric prints but dont wear them outside our house. cant get used to that "look". "no" on anything shiny.

Last edited:
Posting right quick as I need to get up before Walmart delivers groceries. It is snowing here today. I have been cleaning and putting things away and planning menu items and stuff for the valentine's day I am hosting with my ladies' group. I did not mop yet. I woke up yesterday with a horrible purple red rash on my eyelids. I used antihistamine drops and was careful about putting anything on them. This morning one eye lid was puffy and they are both still red and purple. Mainly the left. I sent my daughter a picture and asked if I could use cortisone on my eyelids and she said for no more than a couple of days and to put vaseline on them. I cannot think of what caused it though. I kind of thought maybe because one night I put on 20% glycolic moisturizer and was tired I guess and put it on my eyelids too. I felt it sting though and wiped it off. Otherwise I have no clue. I have been using a small sample size IT eye cream lately with my usual anti-oxidant serum from 100% Pure which has not been bothering me. I hope it is better tomorrow.
Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Kickboxing Outside. 44 minutes, heart rate 111/144, 179 calories, 3090 steps. I used 1 # dumbbells. They use the egg weights at 2# I think. I do not remember doing this one. I think it might have come out when I was having a lot of shoulder issues. I remember the other one and the one in the park. I do not know how they do jacks on pavement. My heart rate did not get much past 11 til 20 minutes into the workout. Also, I put down the dumbbells and I think I got more movement out of it without the weights. I then did Raw Abs Finisher with 8# the standing portion and some of the floor stopping at the oblique crunch. Just too much on my neck. This was 12 minutes, 56 calories, heart rate 117/136, 335 steps. I finished with CDorner Stretch from Cardio/weights/stretch, 20 minutes, 32 calories, heart rate 77/90.

This morning I did Boss Loops Glutes and Core. That was 51 minutes and 203 calories burned. My average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 148. I‘m going to feel that workout tomorrow!

Valerie, great job with XC Skiing for 3 hours 50 minutes. It’s hard when the internet is out. We depend on it for so many things.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Kickboxing Outside, Raw Abs Finisher, and CDorner stretch. That’s scary to have your eyelids swollen. My dermatologist introduced me to healing ointment, something I never noticed in the store. She gave me samples from Aquaphor and Cerave. I’m using that instead of Vaseline around sensitive areas on my face (lips, nostrils, eye area) and on my dry, cracked hands because it contains moisturizers. My skin is so much more sensitive than it used to be.

Waving hello to Cathy and Judy. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.