Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/11

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.).

Deb, I meant improving, although I do improvise if I cannot do all of the exercises. I really love 6 of these workouts. I don't like either of the yoga workouts, but that's because I don't like yoga, and I have a love-hate relationship with Slide and Glide because there are too many burpees while I really enjoy some of the other intervals and the fun of the gliders. I have a little method to the way I do them. Turbo Barre is every Sunday, and I follow it with a shorter workout on Monday, like LIC or S&G or CS. I do the upper body split every other week and after a heavy cardio workout, like AB, and I consider AT the perfect total workout to put anywhere because it starts with about 30 min. of cardio, and then gradually slows down for the conditioning. I like to finish the week on Friday with one of the shorter workouts, so tomorrow I plan on Cardio Supersets. I guess you could sell them and get some of your money back. Have you at least tried all of them? It seems a shame not to give them a chance. They are certainly far more creative than KCM's workouts, which seem thrown together to me. They are perfect for me because I realize that I really haven't been doing any tough cardio for quite awhile, and these are just the challenge I need to improve my cardiovascular fitness. Hey, different strokes for different folks, so just move on and try to sell them, so you don't have to look at them.

Raining here today, so all of our snow is gone. I wonder if we will have a white Christmas.

Hi Ladies,

One more day before I go on my 2 week vacation. Can't wait to see my grandkids and start baking.

Deb, if you are thinking of selling your DVD's let me know. I would be interested in buying
The ones that Garance recommended as her favorites.
Athletic training
Turbo barre
After burn
Cardio superset.

It seems that everyone is on a sugar spending rush. I have gotten 5 boxes of chocolate.

I will be back later.

Josie

Deb, sometimes it's just a slump. the longer you go without, the more it hurts when you do, further discouraging you from doing anything. Are there old workouts you like that are less intimidating? you could wrap up the new ones, and put them away for a while so you don't get reminded daily and feel guilty. I think DH got me several of the ones josie mentioned so if you decide to sell them I won't be competing. sometimes i like it simple and just do treadmill and bike.

I did LBB 2 days ago and it went well. yesterday we did a hike. about 5 miles RT but with a fair amount of ice that made it more challenging. took about 1 hr 45 min each direction.

hiked up to an alpine lake that was frozen over. I found an expensive pocket knife in a hole in the snow. I'm good at finding things like that. then while we were eating lunch spotted 3 mountain goats on a cliff face quite a ways away. spotting goats on snow is not easy! made the hike!

almost forgot... Deb I don't even drink decaf after lunchtime. I don't trust restaurants to keep caffeinated and decaf straight either. too easy for errors. I can have trouble with chocolate at night so am careful about very small amounts only. chocolate ice cream would keep me awake if it's good ice cream with a fair amount of chocolate.

went to yoga this morning. then had my annual mammogram, and my annual eye exam. think I'm done assuming the mamm is OK. won't know for a few days. I hate the waiting. there are good and bad about getting all these tests and exams done in a short period of time.
It's already almost 4 so I'm going to let it go for the day and exercise tomorrow in the morning. need to get my hair trimmed and do a little grocery shopping.

Made lemon squares for DH's office. my first batch didn't turn out... the recipe was poorly written and it's been a long time since I've made them so they got over baked. had to make another pan and get them packed for the car this morning so it's been a hectic day.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Well the excitement of the day: John got up with the dogs at 3:45, ( nice guy that he is) and I stayed in bed to try to get more sleep. About 15 minutes later, he comes upstairs to tell me that he spilled his pills when he was taking them, ( Diovan for high blood pressures) and he is not sure if Kylee got one or not. OKaaaay....So we go into "get dog to puke mode" immediately with hydrogen peroxide etc. Poor little puppy, and No she did not get one of the pills. Every day's an adventure.

Garance, don't get me wrong, I think this is one of Cathe's best series. It's just the way I have been feeling about working out in general, I don't even want to do the treadmill, which has always been one of my favorite things. I liked Athletic Training a lot. I think I will start with that one, and just ignore the others for now. I will look at it as if that is the only one I have. When I get tired of it, I'll move to another one etc. Do you fit the Tri-Sets one in each week somehow? Rain here too and no snow. Ok by me. Maybe just a little on Christmas eve and morning, then it can all turn back to rain.

Josie, no, not ready to sell they yet, LOL, but if I do get to that point, I will let you know first. Will your grandkids all be at your house during your vacation?

Valerie, I was wondering if that "decafe" was really regular coffee. I should know better than to order anything that late. Oh well, next time. When do you get results from the mammo?

Any plans for the weekend? Shopping anyone?:rolleyes:

Take care,

Deb, DH and I have to avoid most caffeine. most soda has caffeine except for 7UP, sprite. there's enough caffeine in soda to cause problems. most restaurants are not trustworthy on coffee. usually they have different color carafes but more than once I've gotten home and couldn't sleep after having 'decaf". so now I usually drink water. just not worth losing a night's sleep for me. It's easier to just skip coffee for me unless it's very early in the day.

mamm results next week. with the holiday mail it will probably be slow but I usually have them cc to DH as well as my primary care doc so he will maybe get results earlier.

we're having christmas dinner with our closest local family this saturday. couple from portland could not get off enough time over xmas weekend so we're doing it this saturday. this will be the assisted living dinner that I've been complaining about. everyone is getting tired of dealing with aunt betty so I'm not sure how festive this will be but we'll try. I'm smuggling in some salad dressing so I don't need to use their bottled junk.

I can't imagine getting a dog to upchuck..... glad she didn't get one of the pills... dogs are so fast, see it, eat it! our dog ate something one time on a hike, so fast we never saw what it was. probably a frog?? wow... never saw a dogs eyes water and drip saliva like that! must have been pretty strong tasting.

My lemon bars got devoured. sunset magazine recipe. they are so good and simple to make but best when very fresh. they were still warm when DH took them in to the office. I got to lick the knife after cutting them up, but that was all.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41 min.). Went by like lightning. I think this is Afterburn-lite.

Deb, what fun at 3:45 A.M.! Years ago, when I was still in school at the U. of Minnesota, I found this little black dog on campus--obviously a stray--and coaxed a good friend (now a vet) into taking her. She named her Brillo because her coat, initially, was the texture of a brillo pad. It did get softer with better nutrition. She would eat anything, and almost poisoned herself on a toad, and Valerie, you are so right--you cannot stop them quick enough if they are determined. Bit into that thing like it was filet mignon. Eventually, my friend would have to put a muzzle on her when they went for a walk. She really had so much personality.

I made my caramel bars this morning. I think they are just a little overcooked, because they seemed extra hard to cut. Trying Josie's cookies tomorrow.

Probably do comfort Sunday again. It's just too good to pass by.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Hi Ladies,

Happy Friday! Today is my last day at work; I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks.
My grandkids will be here tomorrow and the bakeoff will start on Monday or Tuesday.
I might take them to Knott’s Berry Farm on Sunday. Knott’s is having a special where you buy a $20. toy and they let you in for free. This is a bargain and the kids love it there.

Garance, the cookies keep well and are nice and soft. I store them in zip lock bags.

Valerie, I feel sorry for you, I have had that kind of food when we visited my MIL .

Joan, where are you?

Deb, don’t beat yourself about the workouts. You will get back on track when the New Year comes. What helps me is to have a goal such as the bike ride from San Francisco to LA otherwise I get lazy.

I forgot to tell you ladies that I got into the BHIP (Bruin Health Improvement Program) again at UCLA. I did it last year at the beginning of the year; it was the 12 week program. This should help with my training for the bike ride.

Hi to Cathy!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Josie

Did all my errands, and slide & glide this morning. I didn't quite finish but did at least 3/4 of it and will finish it in a few minutes. I wanted the sweating part over before getting my hair done. I got a phone call in the middle and did not quite finish.

Yeah, a determined dog will get what he wants...especially if it involves food. they really are programmed to gobble and swallow.

Josie is right, the noise level in January for exercise is high and that helps with motivation. suddenly my yoga class will have 10 -15 people instead the 3-5 who've been showing up the last couple months. 7 am is a little daunting in the winter but I 'm up and prefer smaller and earlier. I got into a pose thursday so well that she had everyone else stop and look at me. it was so comfortable I felt like I could have stayed there for 20 minutes if needed. sometimes it just feels so "right". tee hee.. but better to be a good example once in a while rather than a glaring bad example, which I'm also capable of. we have a lot of laughs, it is NOT a deadly serious atmosphere.
Josie, have a great 2 weeks.

I will have a generous portion of wine before going to the assisted living so the food won't be so noticeable. such a shame, we could be eating at a decent restaurant and it would have been better for everyone.

Good morning,

We went to breakfast, then to the co-op to get spelt flour. Will be going for some last minute gifts with my cousin in a little while. My SIL called last night to tell us that Christmas Eve will be an "Ugliest Sweater" contest. Great. Now my cousin and I will be going to Goodwill to see if we can find something ugly and cheap.
shopaholic.gif

It sounds like everyone is very busy this weekend, hopefully the weather will get a little warmer here. It's is lightly snowing right now and very cold.

Went on a trail run this morning for 45 min. really nice out. mild and semi sunny, lots of snow capped mts to look at.

yesterday I finally got serious about getting DH's Ipod up and working. we've had it 10 days and could not get it to accept a password I was sure was correct. because of that, we could not get anything to work. felt silly having a $300 gizmo sitting there gathering dust.

so several hours on the phone first with Apple, then our ISP, and finally Cisco. with the long wait times it ate up the afternoon. I got it fixed and working. the problem was the apple software did not work thru the router we have, and I had to upgrade the router (cisco) software. I knew the password was correct but it would not accept. so, all turned out well and cost only a $29 fee for tech support from Cisco. when i tried to set up the ipod and the password didn't work I knew something was amiss.

Do any of you have ipods? what apps are useful? I got a 32 gig one so lots of room. DH needed some medical software on there.

Hi,

Valerie, I have an iPod Touch. Love it for exercising, I have a lot of treadmill workouts from Cardio Coach and iTrain.com. I really don't get into the apps that much, and I don't use it for music at all. I have a great source for small ear buds, because the ones that come with it always popped out of my ears. I think we discussed this a while ago. Let me know if you want to get a different pair. They are not expensive at all. Anyway, I got some free aps for poker, which I like to play on an airplane or when very bored. You can also download books from Amazon with the free Kindle ap, ( if you don't already have a Kindle) and here in NY you can get books from the library on there too. Those are the aps I have.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.