Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/07/2024

Good morning. I did Jane Adams Morning Energy practice today.

Judy, thanks for starting us off this week.

Diane Sue, great job with the Raw strength, cardio, boxing, and stretching. It’s good that your Ladies’ group rescheduled in anticipation of the snow.

Hello to Cathy and Valerie. Have a wonderful day everyone.

did my serious yard walk yesterday during a break in rain. . 35 min of up and down, did 15 min of curls, slides, and balances. plan on the mt bike today in our neighborhood. not raining but still too cold, only 35 degrees but will warm up by afternoon. the rest of the week weather doesn't look likely but we will see. DH will go with me to be sure all goes ok. its a circular route with some big hills but its asphalt.

This morning I did STS Disk 10. Had enough snow this morning to cover the ground, but it's basically gone now. No sun, but it got into the mid-30's. Some snow will be coming and probably staying for a bit though. Nothing major, but enough that I don't want to go anywhere.

Valerie great job getting in the walking exercises yesterday. Hope you were ablate get your ride in today. Trust me you do not want a Tux. Actually every cat we have right now has some quirks. Mopsy is probably the most "normal" and that's if you don't try to stop him from going outside. He will happily stay inside and sleep for long periods, but if he wants to go out do not stand in his way. He's technically still on the wait list at the Humane Society, but he's been on it for over 3 months. Either they are adopting out few cats or that is one LONG list. Sadly I think it's the latter. Last I knew another group had a wait list of 90.

Carolyn nice job with JS Pyramid Power Walk and yoga.

Diane Sue great job with Raw Strength 3: Cardio Acceleration, Raw Sculpt Box & Tone and the stretch.

Hi Judy.

I did my ride!! it was pretty crappy out but we layered up and did 5 miles, 45 minutes. this is not the best season or place to mt bike but it's kind of a milestone to get back on that bike, less than 10 weeks out. it was not hard but I needed to remind myself how to get on and off without bending too much. Mt bike posture is fairly upright, not leaned way over like a road bike. weather the rest of the week is probably not good, rainy and cold but, sometimes there are breaks good enough to sneak in a ride. we will see how it develops.

cathy we are holding out for a cat with a bigger personality. so far we haven't found one. the shelters here are full of kittens and that we decided against. cats all have quirks!

This weekend went by too fast and not exactly as planned. HD had some staffing issues so I ended up working Friday, yesterday and today. I worked in paint Friday and today, and garden/seasonal yesterday. I didn’t do any other workouts but I got quite a lot of steps in and a good bit of exercise working 3 days in a row.

Carolyn-Great job with Jane Adams Morning Energy practice.

Valerie-Great job with the walking & mountain bike ride! I hope you find the perfect cat for you. Kittens are a lot of work. When ours were kittens they were adorable but completely out of control. I’m not sure if I would want to go through that again.

Cathy-Great job with STS Disk 10. Looks like we will be getting 2-3 inches of snow on Tuesday.

Hi to Diane Sue

This morning I did Live Cardio Kick and Punch. I liked that one. It starts with gloves on for warmup and first segment, then gloves off cardio, followed by a kicking segment, then gloves back on for more kickboxing and bag work. Then I did Step Boss Bonus Abs 2 and STS 2 Mobility 2.

Valerie that's such fantastic news that you were able to ride! That must have been a great mental boost as well as physical. If you were closer and he didn't have major panic attacks in the car, I'd bring Tux for you to try out. LOL

Judy are the staffing issues illness driven? Seems like there's a lot of stuff going around right now. We are in the 2-4" of snow range starting late tonight. If we get on the high end that would be our biggest snowfall for the winter so far which is crazy.

Hi to Carolyn and Diane Sue.

Cathy-yes, it was illness and one person had to go on leave to have surgery. I will probably be working a little extra for the next few weeks.

it was a tremendous psychological boost. so many simple things I shouldn't do yet ( loading DW, getting things out of cabinets etc) but riding was great. Of course I shouldn't fall, that goes without even saying, but I haven't fallen in a long time. it felt like I'd never stopped riding actually. I didnt let the speed get too high but it was cold and the wind chill was significant. weather is totally pissy now, so it will be a while. I'm hopeful I can snowshoe soon assuming we are able to get to some snow. sometimes this area goes from no snow anywhere to snow everywhere making the mountains not accessible. I'm not planning on xc skiing for a long time yet since that is faster speeds and more likely to cause falling/twisting especally when there is no base and only fresh snow.

It seems like just about everyone has been sick in the last few weeks. we just got a xmas gift from our neighbors who were sick for weeks, first one, then the other. then back to the first. the trouble with grandkids.

cathy that would be a fun trial with Tux. Our last kitty was a sweetheart but very timid and shy. the one before him sounds more like Tux. he was a smart guy and feisty, tangled with other cats, squirrels, and who knows what else. he was fearless. Judy, I've had kittens before. way more involvement than I want now. we need an adult cat. with some personality. I don't want a total lap cat. shelters seem to have only lap cats and kittens right now.

This morning I did P30 Low Impact HiiT. I was very low impact and less energetic in my movements. That was 31 minutes and 181 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Valerie, great job with the yard walk, strength exercises and the Ride. That’s a major accomplishment.

Cathy, nice job with STS disc 10, Live Cardio Kick and Punch, Step Boss Bonus Abs, and STS 2 Mobility 2.

Judy, sounds like you had a busy weekend.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Today I did Raw Heavy Bag and Arms 62 minutes, heart rate 123/174, 3,006 steps, 291 calories. I then had a battle with youtube and roku trying to do a stretch. I hate wasting time. I ended up giving up and did Raw Stretch Flow with a few stretches in between while battling youtube. This was 25 minutes, 38 calories. Total time was 87 minutes, 329 calories. I wore my Combat gloves that leaves my fingers free with padding on knuckles for the heavy bag work, so I did not have to take them off and put them back on for the weight work between boxing segments. No workout yesterday. I got up this morning with a head cold and watery eyes. Hopefully it goes by quickly.

Carolyn, nice work on yesterday's yoga and today's P30 Low Impact HiiT.

Valerie, I bet it did feel good to get out and get the ride in. Children do pass along the viruses. We used to have a lot of sniffles when I did daycare and kept my grandchildren.

Cathy, nice work on the Live Cardio Kick and Punch, Step Boss Bonus abs and STS 2 Mobility 2.

Judy, I am sure you got plenty of exercise with the work days.

Today I did P30 Perfect Pump Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. My time was 46 minutes with 126 calories burned. Average heart rate 103 and maximum heart rate was 136.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Heavy Bag Arms and Stretch Flow. I hope that your cold symptoms go away quickly.

Hello to All and have a wonderful day.

This morning I did the step portion of Cardio and Weights. Gotten some extra cleaning done today as DH had to go into work.

Valerie I'd take what a cat acts like at a shelter with a grain of salt. I remember two of mine in particular that were nothing like I'd expected. First was an owner surrender that was never seen. She hid all day and then came out at night to eat and use the litter box, they said they never saw her. I brought her own set her free with the other cats and she never hid. She was 7 then, and lived to be 19. Another was trapped after a marijuana bust at a farm. I had no idea his history until months after I had him. They had felt he couldn't be handled, very beat up looking guy, had him fixed and let him go in the barn where I volunteered. Months went by, owner of the place forgot about it. I found him one day doing chores, picked him up, and ended up taking him to my vet as he had a wound. Took him home and he was absolutely a sweetheart. I was thinking the other day if I could bring back my four favorite cats (unlike children, I will admit to favorite cats) he would be one of them. Hopefully your yucky weather goes away and you get some snow so you can snow shoe.

Carolyn great job with P30 Low Impact HiiT and P30 Perfect Pump Upper Body and the Extended Stretch.

Diane Sue nice job with Raw Heavy Bag and Arms and stretch. Internet issues are such a pain. Our wifi has been coming and going for several weeks now. I finally tried to chat with AT&T today, which I'm quite sure is AI generated and it was no help. Their customer service is so bad that I really don't want to call. Sorry to hear about your cold. Hopefully it's brief.

Cathy our feisty cat I got from a shelter. he came right up to me and head butted me. the shelter cats Ive seen so far stayed in the corner and would not respond..... except the kittens, who were all over the place. there were a couple I would have tried but DH is being really picky and I think he wants to replace the personality of our favorite cat and that will not be very likely. I dont think I want kitten level
energy. DH and I don't care if the cat is older. heck our feisty guy was 11 when we got him. we want an adult. someone over a 1 year old. or at least close to a year. there were several cats who looked ( online) suitable but DH didn't want to go look at the time, and now it's almost exclusively kittens way less than a year. I will keep looking and go as soon as I see a cat that looks like it would fit. our preference is older, short hair, male. you would think that would be easy to find but not lately. lots and lots of kittens!

Weather is totally nasty. windy rainy, cold. definitely not outdoors kind of weather. walking on the treadmill instead. last night I did weights and 20 min spin because we did a lot of walking earlier in the day.
ETA did a 15 minute treadmill walk and a 15 min spin and 15 min of weights. Im only using a band, 5's and 8's so I'm doing more reps. it's too much countertop clutter to bring heavier weights up to where I can reach them.

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a 30 minute row and a 20 minute arms & shoulders workout. Today I did Killer Legs and added on the bonus from Total Body Barbell. I also did a 5 minute Peloton core workout. I’m working tomorrow, Friday, Saturday and Sunday then I have 2 weeks off.

Cathy-Great job with Live Cardio Kick and Punch, Step Boss Bonus Abs 2 & STS 2 Mobility 2 and the step portion of Cardio and Weights.

Carolyn-Great job with P30 Low Impact HiiT, Perfect Pump Upper Body and the Extended Stretch.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Heavy Bag and Arms and Raw Stretch Flow. I hope your cold goes away soon.

Valerie-Great job with the walking, weights and spin.

Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout one. That was 26 minutes and 197 calories burned. My average heart rate was 135 and maximum heart rate was 180.

Cathy, nice job with the Step part of Cardio and Weights and getting some extra cleaning done.

Valerie, nice job with the 15 minutes of treadmill walking and 15 minutes of weight work.

Judy, good job with rowing, arms and shoulders, Killer Legs and bonus from Total Body Barbell, and Peloton core work. That’s a nice variety of workouts.

Diane Sue, I hope that you are doing okay today.

Woke up this morning, checked the forecast and decided I was going shopping. LOL So no workout. Potentially several days of 3-6" between now and Saturday and several times blizzard conditions are mentioned. Needless to say I am going no where. I don't think DH has looked that far ahead. His birthday and my Mom's are Friday and it seems inevitable that the weather will be bad. When I came home, I passed one field with a couple hundred cranes. It's really unheard of for them to be here in January and they really should consider getting out.

Valerie are the groups other than shelters that have cats. Within 25-30 miles we have more than 1/2 dozen private groups mostly doing foster care. They usually take their animals mostly cats to pet stores for adoption events. Often the foster person is there and they've been living with the cat and can give you a better idea of personality. Sorry to hear your weather is keeping you from doing outdoor activities but it seems like you are making good use of your time.

Carolyn nice job with KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix.

Judy great job with the Peloton workouts, Killer Legs with the Total Body Barbell bonus.

Hi Diane Sue. I hope you are feeling better.

got in 20 on the spin bike and then 20 on the elliptical at level 9. not extreme at all but I used to use it at level 10 so pretty close to old times. I found that Ok this time and not as loud as a treadmill, I'm watching a class on earth sciences that I've seen before there is so much information in it I could watch 10x and not get it all. the instructor speaks clearly so its OK to watch while doing exercise as long as the equipment isnt too loud. then some sets of curls for about 15 more min.

cathy there are a couple other shelters near here that I can check out. we are getting a slug of worsening weather so I would look online not in person. hard to believe the sandhills havent gone south but its been mild here too and now it wont be. Im sure it takes a toll if food supplies get buried.

Today I did Raw Heavy Bag: Chest and Back, 51 minutes, heart rate 116/145, 213 calories. I also did CDorner Better Movement Mobility and Stretching Routine, 31 minutes, 44 calories. Total Time 82 minutes, 257 calories. I wore my regular Everlast boxing gloves this time. I watched Kelly's new dvd previews on Youtube last night. They look Challenging. Especially the Strength.
It looks like cold weather all over. We had a little snow on the ground that melted quickly, but the forecast this weekend hits a high of 12 and low of -2. It will definitely be stay in days.

Cathy, I always liked to do that step portion of Cardio and weights. It seems most of the time I end up dealing with AI or whatever. I did the online chat with Walmart one time trying to explain a problem with an order and the final amount after items they did not have. They did not refund my paypal acount. It took a long time. Then they gave me what I guess was human. This person messed with it and came back and said he thought he made my problem worse and I would be notified. Somehow he gave me the whole grocery order money back. The next time something like that happened, I got a person and I told them specifically I only wanted a refund for the kombucha tea I did not get. They had mentioned in an odd way I was afraid they were going to mess up again. My husband just keeps telling the AI that he wants to talk to a human. Eventually he gets what he wants. AT&T has always been hard to find a person to talk to.

Carolyn, nice work on Cardio Quick Fix this morning. I am feeling better.

Judy, I bet you will enjoy the time off. Nice work on the 30 minute row and a 20 minute arms & shoulders workout Tuesday. Good job on yesterday's Killer Legs and the bonus from Total Body Barbell, and the Peloton abs.

Valerie, good job on the spin bike and elliptical. Great job being close to where you were before on the elliptical.

This morning I did the Step from Step, Jump and Pump plus the last hi-lo segment. Then I did STS Disk 11. Had a knot in my shoulder muscle yesterday. Derek is excellent at getting them loosened though it is not pleasant. LOL Knot is gone and the area is a bit sore, but I'd rather have a bit sore than a big knot.

Valerie great job with the treadmill, elliptical and curls. Our storm total through Sunday is potentially 10-15" and it's going to blow so the cranes really should leave. Numbers have noticeably lessened in the last week, and I had to come a different way yesterday as I went to my bank, and that's the only reason I saw that flock. None on our road or in the fields behind us.

Diane Sue nice job with Raw Heavy Bag: Chest and Back and the mobility/stretching. I pretty much hate dealing with any customer service these days. So many places are doing the AI generated stuff.

Hi Judy and Carolyn.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.