^^Pentagenarians and Beyond! Week Beg 6/29/

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

I hope I didn;t get everyone confused with all the differnt threads I started this week.. I was just testing the picture posting. Today I did a lower body BFL workout. It was nice to do something differnt from Cathe.. I actually do this to 70's disco music.. if you can belive that !

Garance:
Did you cook something fantastic last night?

Josie:
I hope you are doing the dunes again! How is the weather there now?

Linny:
I am sure you are at the lake.. and I am sending you {{no hives}} vibes!

Have a great day...here is another pic of us when we were in Rocton Il picking up Keegan:

http://afterallwirefoxterriers.com/KeeganKiss2.JPG

Hi Deb, Lady of the Lake Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did 4ds Kickbox with legs and abs (70 min.). Last week was my non-Cathe week. This one I go back to Cathe.

Love the picture, Deb! I can almost feel him wriggling with the way you are holding him.

Nope--didn't cook last night. We went to the Rattlesnake Cafe up in Bennington and I had a soft shrimp and fish taco. Had the leftovers today for lunch. Tonight I'm cooking Chinese from Mrs. Chiang's Szechuan cookbook--eggplant with ground pork on linguine and some stir-fried broccoli from our garden. One of DH's favorites.

Question for everyone: Is there one beauty product you cannot do without--and why? Mine is Dr. Murad's Essential-C Daily Renewal Complex. It goes on like silk under foundation and right now in this humidity, it's the only makeup I wear. Pricey but definitely worth it, and it lasts about three months. Makes my skin glow. Also--no animal testing on Murad's stuff. I've tried some of his other stuff, but this is the one keeper.

Good Morning!

This morning I did an I-Tread and the abs from Dance Fit. Total of 40 minutes and 264 calories burned.

Nice weather here today...not too hot and not humid YET!

Garance:
Yes..Keegan was doing the "wiggle" dance in my arms, like he does almost all the time..I love the name of the restaurant! "Rattlesnake Cafe"..it sounds Tex Mex? How did the Chinese dinner turn out?

Regarding the beauty product question..I really don;t have one but try all kinds of stuff to find one! I looked up the Murad one that you like in Makeup Alley. Some good comments. You mentioned you use it as a foundation? or just under foundation? I found it on Ebay if you are interested..much lower prices. I may bid on samples that they have, to try it out. How long before you notice the "glow" :7 ? They show it in a tube and a jar..which do you have?

Josie:
Hope you had a great weekend on the dunes or whatever "gazelle" like activities you were doing!;-)

Linny:
How was the lake? did you do some boating with your DH? You driving and him skiing?

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did 4ds HIS with Chest and back (58 min.).

Deb:
The Essential-C cream comes in a good-sized jar that lasts me about 3 mos. The tubes are the free samples. Whenever I place an order at Murad.com, I get free little tubes of this stuff which are great for travel. I think the glow was there after a week, because I started using it at my high school reunion and a couple people commented on my skin. DH noticed too. I wear it under foundation, which seems to go on so much better, and in this humidity, I've been using it alone. I think it's the Vitamin C that starts the glow.

Alas! I think I have mentioned this before, but someone hacked into my e-bay account years ago, so I can neither buy nor sell there. I just didn't have the time to fix it, because I was simultaneously being spammed to death and OIT had to spend days fixing that problem (which was probably related to the e-bay problem).

The Chinese was excellent--a recipe I've made many, many times because it's one of DH's favorites, and it's our pork, and later this summer, it will also be our eggplants.

How were your weekends, Linny and Josie?

Hi Deb, Garance and Linny,

I had a good weekend as far as workouts, but it was also a sad weekend, because my son left on his third deployment.

He called me on Friday to tell me that he had gotten his orders to be be at the ariport on Saturday at 6:00 AM. He did not even get a 24 hour notice. He had to rush and get his uniforms in order and make arrangements for his family on Friday. He is in the Navy.

Our youth is being abused in this war and they want more of them to sign up. What a joke!

Deb, I love the picture!

Garance, I wish I lived near you, so that I can get some leftovers.

Linny, Where are you?

Hi Deb,Garance and Josie:
Just a quick check-in.Did go to lake this weekend but no boating.It was raining most of weekend,DH was bumming.
Had to good for yearly exam today(I hate papsmears)My bloodpressure is on its way up so I have to take it every other day.Then we'll decide if I have to come off the Loestrin.
Deb:Thats so cute,Keegan giving kisses.
Garance:I'd say I can't live without my Mary Kay eyemakeup remover.It works great.
Josie:So sorry to hear about your son.I support our troops but not the war.I pray that he stays safe.
I have to lay down now for my nap.Have a great night ladies~Linny~

Good Morning!

No workout today..Keegan's "ahem" schedule was not cooperating..I had to wait around for him to do his thing, so made coffee, and then lost all energy to work out. There's always tomorrow..

Boy did we ever get rain yesterday..it was coming down is sheets when I was driving home from work, almost had to pull over, it was so bad I couln't see.

Garance:
Thanks for the info on the skin stuff.. do you use it with other moisturizers? if so, do you put them on over this, then foundation? sorry for all the questions..I love to try new face/skin stuff. I bought that book by that dermotologist, and all the stuff she recommended..the only thing I still use once in a while is the Retin-A cream..Can you start a new ebay account with a different user name?

Josie:
((Hugs)) to you on your son leaving.. he will be in my prayers.

Linny:
When it rains that the lake, what other things do you do? Do you have a cabin or house there? TV? is it pretty isolated or do you have a town etc to visit?

Have a great day!

Deb

This morning I did 4ds LIS with shoulders, calves, and abs (66 min.).

Josie:
My thoughts are with you on your son. I agree with you about this war abusing our young people. A third deployment seems totally unreasonable and unfair. Some military history was published yesterday that basically excoriates the top brass and the politicians at home (esp. the Commander-in-Chief) for making a mess of this war from the very beginning. It's all very sad and depressing.

Deb:
I just use this as an under-foundation layer. I also use a separate eye cream. If you can tolerate retin-A (which I use every night), then I bet this stuff will work for you. I noticed at the Makeup Alley site that some people complained of irritation and redness. For me it's just a tingle and glow, but I think the years of retin-A have made my skin pretty tolerant of the Vitamin C in this stuff.

Linny:
I am curious, too. What do you do when the weather confines you indoors? I hate when this happens at the Jersey Shore. One year we drove into Philly and went to all of the founding fathers' sites with a park ranger, the Benjamin Franklin science institute, ate Philly cheesesteaks at Pat's (mmmmm!), and to an Amish market with more eats (absolutely scrumptious, frabjous soft pretzels and soft ice cream). That was fun(and fattening!) but not as relaxing as sitting at the beach reading Harry Potter, which is what I did last year when it was beautiful every day.

Hi Ladies":
Deb:Hopefully you'll be able to get in a workout tomorrow.Looks likke we'll have thunderstorms tonite.Right now they have warnings in southwestern part of state.Luckily we have a dvd/tv at the lake,which has a digital antenna also.We always have plenty of dvd's in stock.Have any of you heard of Meaningful Beauty by Cindy Crawford? I saw a info-merical on tv,stuff looks promising.
Garance:Besides the dvds we are pretty close to a cinema and mall(about 1/2 away)so we'll take in a movie if need be.I notice I do eat a lot more when stuck in the RV.I went to annual md appt yesterday and according to her I'm right on the line of being overweightx( Seems like lately when ever I gain it goes right to my stomach now.I never had that problem before till this past year.
Josie:prayers out toyour son.What kind of exciting workout did you do today?~Linny~

I just got back from a birthday party for my boss. She turned 50 and they had a Taquiza (home made tacos beef,chicken and pork). I had one of each plus some rice and beans and 2 glasses of white wine.

I will be going to the gym at 5:30 and doing my hard core class, I hope that I don't throw up.

Regarding my favorite skin product, I would have to say ANEW from Avon moisturizer for oily skin with 15 spf. I have never had a sun burn when I wear it, even on my long runs( 20+miles). I have been using it for years and so does my DM. She uses the stuff for dry skin. I also use the Jane Airedale mineral powder instead of a liquid foundation in Latte spf 17. I love it! It look great on your skin.

Have a great day!

Josie

Good Morning,

Another sleep deprived night. Keegan woke up at 1:00 am needing to go out.. then again at 4:00 when I had already decided not to work out and to try to get some extra sleep! He did his thing and we both slept until DH got up at 5:00..x( ..I am like a zombie right now, caffine is going to be used a lot today!

Garance:
Thanks for the info on the skin stuff.. I did get it on Ebay. Another question..( hope you don;t mind!), the cream does not have Spf so do you use another moisturizer before you put it on and then do the foundation? basically what order do you put it on if you use another face moisturizer/sun screen? Love the pic of you sitting on a beach with a Harry Potter book! so relaxing..

Linny:
Have never heard of the Cindy Crawford mdse.. I think the issue with the weight has to do with the big "M:! I had a completely flat ab section up until I was 45! I always had saddlebags, that was my part to work on and never did anything for abs.. well when I started Perimenopause, that all changed..now I have the hips and the ab problem! Maybe we should start tracking our food again...I have been so bad I am embarrassed to write down what I ate yesterday, and top it off with no workouts for 2 days nowx(

Josie:
That food sounds yummy!:9 It is funny about the mineral makeup and how it is either loved or hated..I can;t use it at all and I have tried about 4 different ones. It ages me at least 10 years!

Have a great day!

Deb:)

This morning I did Leslie's 4 Fast Miles, music only (50 min.). I had a hard time getting up this morning for some reason, because I was intending to do 4ds Bootcamp with bis and tris.

Deb:
Okay, this is my morning regimen with creams. After I shower, I dab on some of Murad's Intensive Wrinkle Reducer for the eyes (not persuaded this is so wonder-working and will probably go back to another eye cream after I use this up), and a moisturizer for the rest of my face and neck that has an SPF of 15. When I get ready to go out an hour or so later, I usually give my face a brief splash and then I put on the essential-C and my foundation (Almay) which has an SPF of 15.

Josie:
If I had three tacos and two glasses of wine, I'd be dozing off. Did you manage to get in a hardcore workout with a full stomach? I exercise in the morning on an empty stomach after a big glass of water.

Linny:
Sounds like you and DH love the movies. I teach film courses. If you like film noir, try The Last Seduction (a really brilliant femme fatale played by Linda Fiorentino) and Bound--once again, the two women get away with it all because the men just don't get it. I just re-watched Children of Paradise (Les Infants du Paradis), a 1946 French tearjerker made during the Nazi occupation. Love it all over again.

DH made pesto for dinner last night from basil in the garden--soooo good. I made a bean salad on the side. Fiber City!!!

Hi Deb,Garance and Josie:
Deb you poor thing.Sounds like it been a up and down situation during the night.It seems like he was doing pretty good for a while there.Hope tonite goes better for both of you.About thre waist thing my md said not to worry about weight unless waistline gets to 35 or more.Well I've been worried once it hit the 30 inch markx(
Garance:I made a cream pesto monday night but used store bought pesto.Mixed with grey poupon and sour cream,DS loved it but DH thought it was too strong.My DH is more of a movie freak than me.He uses them to clear his mind and escape work frame of mind.Thanks for info on movies I'll have to check them out.
Josie:Tacos sound yummy.Hmm,three kinds of meat sound pretty filling.I'm planning Mexican tonite,I have my refried beans and avocado and will put together something.Hope you didn't get sick last night doing your hardcore,I think I would have.Right now I use Bare Minerals but in winter I use liquid Almay.Seems like powder accents my dry skin in the winter.
We have been having quite the time with state past 2 weeks.A nurse put order on wrong patients med sheet.Patient was given insulin and not a diabetic and patient died later that day.Insulin toxins showed up in autopsy.Boy oh boy! What a mess!
Hope you all have good night~Linny~

I did make it through the class and felt terrible the first half hour, but I guess I sweated it out and felt better.

I will be walking with some friends this evening about 4 miles.

I will not be checking in starting Friday until the 14th when I will
return from vacation.

Have a great evening!

Josie

Good Morning!

No workout again today..not sure what is going on but I am so tired and not doing anything right now but working and sleeping...Keegan was up to go out again this morning at 3:30..DH took him out and I had a hard time going back to sleep...got up around 5:20.

Garance:
Thanks for the info on how to use the cream. I can't wait to try it! You use Almay liquid foundation? I use an Estee Lauder tinted moisturizer..it's very light and sometimes I think its a scam...you can;t even tell it's there. I love their face powder though, Sometimes I use that alone without foundation. Especially when it is humid.

Linny:
That pesto sounds great! What did you use it on/with? Looks like Almay is pretty good...Garance uses it too..maybe I should try that for foundation. Scary stuff about the med mix up..what happens next?

I am looking forward to the 3 day weekend..maybe I can catch up on some sleep and get some workouts in...

Have a great day!

Deb;-)

This morning I did 4ds Bootcamp with bis and tris (62 min.).

Okay, here's DH's foolproof pesto recipe:

Ingredients:

4 C. basil leaves

1/3 C. pine nuts

4 cloves garlic

1 1/4 C. olive oil

3/4 C. cheese (parmesan and romano or the best: parmigiano-reggiano).

First, throw the cheese in the food processor and grind until fine.

Throw in the pine nuts and grind some more

Throw in the garlic and grind some more.

Press all of the leaves in and start the processor again.

As everything is getting mashed, drizzle in the olive oil with that little drizzler on the top of your processor. When the oil is all gone, and the pesto has the consistency of a wet paste, voila!

Serve over hot fettucine. I also like homegrown tomatoes on the side, when they are available.

I think DH originally got the recipe from the NYTimes, ages ago. He freezes batches when the basil gets really too much to harvest for one meal. It's absolutely great to pull out in the winter.

Linny, that sounds awful about the patient who died. Who discovered the error?

Poor Deb! I hope your weekend is full of rest and relaxation--in between workouts and keeping up with Keegan, of course.

Have a great vacation, Josie!

I will be doing my hardcore class this evening. They are letting us out early today, so I only work until noon.

Deb, Have a restfull weekend and try to get a nap in during the day.

Garnce, Thank you for the recipe. My DD loves pesto.

Linny, Have a great weekend! Are you going to the lake?

Josie

HiDeb,Garance and Josie:
Deb: Sounds like you're back in the days of getting up all hours for the baby.Geez,maybe I don't want a puppy.Good thing Keegan is so da*n cute.Pesto dish was made with chicken.I'm making a turkey dish tonite but still looking in cookbooks for ideas.Regarding med mix-up~state is suppose to come back within 2-20days to make sure we are following plan of corrections.At that time they will be into everything so if they are not happy they could close rehab down.State is fining company $5500 aday till we are cleared.I feel for management some are there 6am to 12am makes for a looong day.
Garance:That pesto recipe sounds great.I will definitely try it.ounds like you and DH eat pretty healthy.Good for you!On med error~nurse on next shift found error.The problem is they float nurse to different units and don't give a proper orientation then mistakes happen.In this case a deadly one.The director called and left message if I could pick up fri and sat nite and she would be willing to pay an extra $13 a hour.I haven't called yet but I already have plans sat and sun.I heard management knew weeks ago that this weekend was a mess but they wait till last minute to do anything.
Josie:You have a great vacation.Is this the week you go to spa? You bet I'll definitely be at the lake this weekend.
Ladies I should be able to check in tomorrow before I go to lake,but if not I hope you all have a safe and happy 4th.~Linny`

Hi Again:
Garance:I seem to remember you liking Ellen Barrett.Right at FitnessFly.com they have special on her dvds~Linny~

Hi,

Sorry to post so late..we took lunch out to my father today, spent some time with him, then came home, cooked dinner, worked in the garden a bit weeding..

Garance:
Thanks for the wonderful recipe..I will be copying to my favorites!

Josie:
How nice that you could get out early! Hope that class didn;t tire you out too much!

Linny:
You are right about the mess with the med mix up and scheduling horrors.. hope you have a great time at the lake.

I have a great 4th of July pic to post, but as usual, it's not working here.. I will post it Sunday when I start the new thread.. it only lets me post a pic on this thread when no one else has posted yet.. crazy!

DEB

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.