Paul Katami,Bob Harper for Kettlebell workout

Hi Everyone,

I did try kettlebell metabolic workout from kettleworx program and another instrutor but was disappointed with both. Mainly for Kettleworx. It just was just pure dread!:mad::mad::mad:

Now I want to get back into it by incorporating short segment to my routines.

I would be grateful if you could recommend a program/instructor containing spot on cueing, motivational quote with a good production quality:mad:

I know cathe does set the standard of production quality high but I really need some advise from buddies who can understand the dilemna I am in :eek::p

Various name have been mentioned and the one listed above are the most I have heard with good feedback. Please let me know if there any other good program.

Hope to hear from you buddies,
kind Regards ;)

Skogg. I just started this and he has excellent instruction with proper form. I have finished the 4 workouts on level 1 (at this 1st level the workouts (not including W/U and C/D) are around 8-12min long). A great place to start IMHO. You can search on the VF forums for Skogg reviews. They all seem positive which is why I bought it. Not the most exciting probably but I'm enjoying it so far.

I started with 10lbs and almost immediately went to 20lbs. Of course this is all individual. And I'm sweating alot and breathing hard by the end.

Just so you know each level just increases the amount of time by about 4min I believe. So Level 2, 3 and 4 are not different workouts just longer.

HTH!

Last edited:
skogg system

Skogg. I just started this and he has excellent instruction with proper form. I have finished the 4 workouts on level 1 (at this 1st level the workouts (not including W/U and C/D) are around 8-12min long). A great place to start IMHO. You can search on the VF forums for Skogg reviews. They all seem positive which is why I bought it. Not the most exciting probably but I'm enjoying it so far.

I started with 10lbs and almost immediately went to 20lbs. Of course this is all individual. And I'm sweating alot and breathing hard by the end.

Just so you know each level just increases the amount of time by about 4min I believe. So Level 2, 3 and 4 are not different workouts just longer.

HTH!

Based on both your feedback and Amazon Review, this look and sound good.
This system offer a tutorial element Paul katami and Bob Harper do not.

BTW, I'd never heard of this system.

Thanks for replying.
Will keep you informed when I make my final decision

I have both. I like Bob, I LOVE Paul.

Bob's form and instruction isn't so great, and I think it could be an injury waiting to happen. I have his Kettlebell Cardio Shred. It is a good workout, but like I said, I think there's a risk of injury. The production is what I would call "standard workout DVD production" Not bad, not fantastic, just there. In the Bob I have, it's just him and a lady. Bob shows the move a few times, but it's just the lady who does it, while Bob instructs and fusses and pushes at her. Bob's style annoys some people, but he doesn't bother me.

I have Paul's Kettlebell Kombos and Kettlebell Konnections. The only thing I don't like is the repeated K's. I get it, but learn how to spell.:p:eek::p;):eek: They both have good instructional sections. Konnections is harder to me, but neither are easy. The last series is connections is HARD. Something like swing,press, burpee, pushup, elbows, plank, under with the KB, then up and do it all again. Several time. This one too, I think the production is just standard. Not Cathe, but not filmed in someone's back yard. He has a cast a crew. I think it's 3 on Kombos, and maybe 5 or 6 on Konnections. Paul probably does 85-90 percent of the workout with you, stopping for form pointers. Kombos I can go heavier than Konnections. I'm wiped at the end of Konnections. But, I don't kettlebell often. Maybe once or twice a month, if that. I like it, but I never seem to know where to get it in. I end up missing my "regular" weights.

You can buy Bob at Target, you'll have to hit the internet for Paul. I know Collage carries Paul. I'd go with Paul. Solid,better form, better instruction, and you can grow with him.

Nan

I've just started Skogg system too. I think of all the kettlebell workouts, this one has really good instruction. I like the way it's set up. Same exercises, with progressive routines & additional sets.

I haven't looked at the others and I'm really surprised at the comments of some regarding form, you would think if someone does a KBell video they would get the form right for whatever they're doing.

The only other one was the ETK/Aos paper workout, program minimum, I think that's about as basic as you get and you can vary the active recoveries. I chose Skogg because I thought it would suit me, it does. I like using videos. Skogg is a really good set.

I could see Cathe doing something like Skogg.

Hi Everyone,

I am revisiting this thread cause I have a question:

Have you added the skogg volume 1 and 2. If I am not wrong, it's a follow up of the the original 5 dvd skogg system.

if you have tried it , please let me now you thoughts.
I am definitely giving it a try. ;)

To 112Guru,

I hear you:D:D:D.
I need video too, I can not fully focus reading through papers!

Actually papers drives me mad!:D:D I wish you could live without papers. I think we really could do without so many around!:mad::mad:
I am looking forward to adding skogg to my collection.

As to cathe making video similar to michael skogg one.
How about cathe making some kettlebell tabata ;););)
That would be a fun and effective incineration;)

Last edited:
Nathalie's question regarding the additional 1 and 2 DVDs offered by Scrogg, sold separately from the system, was exactly my question. Do we need both? Is the material different, more varied? Better instruction or music?

I'd settle for more tabatas from Cathe using weights, just weights, not jumping up and down stuff thrown in, no burpees, just weight moves, compound moves. Love it.

I doubt she'll do kbs any time soon. It requires certification, especially, Cathe would require this of herself, and the risk for injury at home with her customers seems higher than with regular dbs. We can but hope, of course!

Clare

Nathalie's question regarding the additional 1 and 2 DVDs offered by Scrogg, sold separately from the system, was exactly my question. Do we need both? Is the material different, more varied? Better instruction or music?

I'd settle for more tabatas from Cathe using weights, just weights, not jumping up and down stuff thrown in, no burpees, just weight moves, compound moves. Love it.

I doubt she'll do kbs any time soon. It requires certification, especially, Cathe would require this of herself, and the risk for injury at home with her customers seems higher than with regular dbs. We can but hope, of course!

Clare

Hi Clare,

Volume 1 and volume 2 are follow up add on to the system. They contains advanced moves and are sold separately from the system. There is also an option to purchase the full package consisting of volume 1 and 2 plus 5dvds of the original system. Feel free to google skogg system and you will come accross the website for more information.

We do not really need it at right now. I have done kettlebell before for a short time but I am intending to start from the beginning as I need to rebuild my technique from a knowledgeable instructor. Michael skogg form is the best I have ever seen. Plus reviews are positives on both amazon.com and on here. As per comments above, both production quality and cueing are fine.I am looking forward to adding this system.

As to your statement highlighted above, I am under the same impression. As much as we would love cathe to produce a KB workout, I understand her ethics views. I did ask if she would consider producing a kb workout and she replied she was not ruling out producing one. She did also mentioned the certification during virtual chat with other cathletes. Trust me there is quite few of us dreaming of a kb from Cathe.:cool::cool:

We need to use what is currently on the market but let's opt of the best!:):):cool:

Are you interesting is skogg system?

All the best,

I think Anthony DiLuglio is another great source. He has a clinic dvd - that is actually 2 dvds. 1 is instructional and the other has the workouts. He has excellent form, and the clinic is very instructive. He goes through what to do and equally important, in my mind, what NOT to do. He shows you things that he commonly sees for incorrect form. I find that really helps me. This set is quite pricey, but he does have sales. He also has downloads which are cheaper.

You can check out the reviews on amazon from this workout.

Amazon.com: Art of Strength Kettlebell Training DVD: Sports & Outdoors

He also has lots of YouTube videos

here's just 1 example: (though this one is not instructional, just more follow along)

Basic Kettlebell Workout with Anthony DiLuglio - YouTube

- sarah

I don't have the Skogg vol. 1 & 2, just the 5 disc set, which is challenging, I'm only using a 10 lb. bell for the first round, given that there is a risk of injury, and that it is a more dynamic kind of lifting, I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Cathe has done some workouts, like boot camp, off the beat, which is something that would work for the KB, music selection could be tricky. One of the things I like about the Skogg 5-disc system is that it's all swinging. Not that some of the other KB type workouts use active recovery or other exercises are bad or anything, but this one is really focused on the kettlebell swings. It makes for a great stand alone work out or an add on.

I wanted to pick up the Providence DVD but it wasn't available for under 50$ and that was a little pricey for me at the time or I might have gone that route. Likewise the virtual Skogg is a little high for me, even if I were to focus just on that.

I can understand why she would put a lot of thought into it, I could picture all her girls though, they all look like they could/would do KB, or maybe that's just how I picture it.

Last edited:
The first two words in my head were Skogg and Anthony (AOS). I have all of AOS, including his 2-disk clinic and simply love them. Anthony is stern and all business and I love his style, the city scenes and the music in his workouts. Skogg System is a must have because of the form pointers and plain good advice for beginners and the 5 disc set progresses as you do. Same workouts, but more sets. I love them both and bells are a big part of my gym, they just never fail me when I want to feel stronger. Also, check out Anthony's Punch kettlebells, they are beautiful and I love the handles. Kettlebells | Strength Training Kettlebells & Fitness Equipment Accessories Have fun with this, but beware, one bell is never enough, they multiply!

The first two words in my head were Skogg and Anthony (AOS). I have all of AOS, including his 2-disk clinic and simply love them. Anthony is stern and all business and I love his style, the city scenes and the music in his workouts. Skogg System is a must have because of the form pointers and plain good advice for beginners and the 5 disc set progresses as you do. Same workouts, but more sets. I love them both and bells are a big part of my gym, they just never fail me when I want to feel stronger. Also, check out Anthony's Punch kettlebells, they are beautiful and I love the handles. Kettlebells | Strength Training Kettlebells & Fitness Equipment Accessories Have fun with this, but beware, one bell is never enough, they multiply!

Thanks Sarah for your input on this. I will add both AOS and Skogg. I have made up my mind;). I will report my views once I have tried them. I think it does not matter how advance an exerciser is, everyone need good instructional basic instruction for Kb. it's a different equipment which expose exercisers to more risk of injury compared to DB and BB. We all need to play smart and safe;)

Talking about multiplication lol, I have three KB and I am considering adding an adjustable one. Well I am going to have to cross that bridge when I reach it!!:p

Last edited:
Nathalie,
Have you considered going to a personal trainer to get started (or to restart) with kettlebells? I'm usually a video queen and think that you can learn just about anything from a video, but for some reason I saw kettlebells as the one thing I should learn in person. I went to the RKC certification site and found a certified instructor in my area, and it was a very, very valuable session. I *might* have realized all the same things they told me from watching a video, but since the risk of injury and bad form seemed so high with these, I wanted to have a real person critique and spot me. I went to two lessons, and I feel like I learned enough from that to do bells on my own at home.

I will say that I did buy the Skogg system too, but tabled it and decided to go to the trainer in person. Just my experience... I have also heard awesome things about Skogg and it does not sound like you can go wrong with that system. It's the gold standard for starter kettlebell workouts.

Eva

RKC certified

Nathalie,
Have you considered going to a personal trainer to get started (or to restart) with kettlebells? I'm usually a video queen and think that you can learn just about anything from a video, but for some reason I saw kettlebells as the one thing I should learn in person. I went to the RKC certification site and found a certified instructor in my area, and it was a very, very valuable session. I *might* have realized all the same things they told me from watching a video, but since the risk of injury and bad form seemed so high with these, I wanted to have a real person critique and spot me. I went to two lessons, and I feel like I learned enough from that to do bells on my own at home.

I will say that I did buy the Skogg system too, but tabled it and decided to go to the trainer in person. Just my experience... I have also heard awesome things about Skogg and it does not sound like you can go wrong with that system. It's the gold standard for starter kettlebell workouts.

Eva

Thanks Eva, it's a very good idea. I will do some homework for sure.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.