Panic Attacks / Anxiety

Fidget Queen

Cathlete
I hate to be a downer, but I feel like this is the best place to go for advice. I'll start out by saying that I've had a really rough few years, and it seems like things never stop piling up. I try really hard to take things in stride and realize that in the grand scheme of things, everything is ok, but even before I start to recover from one episode in life, another one steps right up. The last year has been really bad, and this summer has been the worst.

I've started having full-blown panic attacks within the last week. I have constant anxiety and the attacks are probably not severe, but they are enough to make me miserable and to scare the living crap out of me. It's all accompanied by a pretty deep depression and I feel hopeless. I was given steroids a couple of months ago for mono symptoms and I'm pretty sure that they have escalated my anxiety levels. I've hardly slept since they were given to me and my heart rate is constantly elevated. I'm afraid to even exercise now.

I know that none of you can tell me what will work for me, but I'm hoping that if any of you have recovered or are suffering from this problem, you could give me advice. Have any of you managed to get through it without drugs? I don't think anybody who hasn't gone through it even understands; if I try to talk about it, they just say that there's nothing to be uptight about. I know I desperately need counseling, but it is very much out of the question; I simply can't afford it. Any words would be very much appreciated.

Sara

Big Hugs Sent your Way

Hello Sara

I'm sorry you're feeling so low at the moment. I also suffer with depression and OCD which from time to time has included panic attacks.

I would urge you to go back to your doctors and explain how you are feeling. At the end of the day anxiety is a illness like anything else. If you are prescribed meds do take them as they are there to help you. If you was diagnosed with diabetes for example, you would take medication for it wouldn't you ? Also see if you can get some counselling so you can talk through how you are feeling.

Remember anxiety is an illness like any other and feelings of fear and panic are very real and paralyzing.

I've been on meds for a while now and they have made me feel alot better. Also the counselling I've received has really helped.

Big hugs to you and remember you are never alone.

Love
Laura
x

i suffered from panic attacks/anxiety after having my daughter last year. i didn't take enough medications b/c i had a dr that was paranoid b/c of my breastfeeding but i did find that what little meds i did take coupled with cognitive behaviour therapy worked for me. maybe you could find some self-help books on cbt because it is about being able to talk yourself down. that sounds like a huge task atm, i am sure, but doing this on your own religiously along with the right medications may be able to help you if therapy isn't an option. i really wish you the best.

Hi,
I had some issues with panic attacks/anxiety for years. I did go to my family dr, and he put me on Wellbutrin (short-term). I also saw a counselor for a few months, and that worked wonders. I finally was able to get to the root of the problem and learn ways to cope. I went off of the medicine shortly after being on it b/c I don't like to be on medicine of any kind. When I felt better, I stopped seeing the counselor, but I made sure that she felt I was o.k. too. I've been fine ever since (3 years). I also got this great book called Hope and Help for your Nerves by Claire Weeks. It was recommened on this site last year. It's an older book, but it's filled with great suggestions, like instead of going against the feelings you get when you are anxious, identify them and go with the flow. It's much easier than fighting them. Good luck!
-Jen
p.s. Exercise also works wonders!

Exercise helps, but I found that only 2-3 hours of ashtanga yoga would mitigate it and only for a few hours.....if you were a diabetic and didn't seek medical attention, you would be a fool....isn't distress of the human spirit - and anxiety causes surges in catecholamines (stress hormones, that shunt blood to the heart, cause the heart to beat faster and prepare the body to run from the bear - hangover from our caveman days) which lowers the immune response, narrows the arteries and enables us to run from danger and thus dissipate the hormones......that's why exercise helps.......

Medication is not giving in to having a "happy pill" nor a sign that you can't cope.....we now have the ability to restore the serotonin that gets robbed with age, stress, etc......

Peer reviewed, blind study research using SSRI's and placebo's showed overwhelming relief from medication.

It is certainly worth a trip to the doc for a discussion.

Big hugs, so many of us, not in your shoes, but walking next to you in a similar pair!

Sara~

I agree with much of what has been said (about going to the dr and taking meds if you are sick for some other reason), but I have gotten through anxiety and panic attacks without meds. I did seek therapy, but in my case, my therapist made things worse (insisting that I had been abused as a child, and that since my brother is gay, he was for sure abused as a child, since that is what "turns" people gay...ugh!!).

It is as one person already said (for me), all about talking yourself down. Over the last 3 years, I have had only a few mild attacks. It is related to stress and getting enough sleep.

I exercise regularly, eat pretty clean and get about 8 hours of good sleep per night.

My reasons for not seeking professional help are simply that I don't like medications (even Tylenol, etc.)

When I am feeling overwhelmed, I take steps to reduce my stress: get more organized, ask for help, make a list, prioritize, etc.

I also take deep breaths, think about feeling calm, think about my family and what I mean to them. I can't be the strong person they need me to be if I allow panic and anxiety to take over my life. I have to be stronger than my fears. I use self-talk to be strong.

My method has worked very well for me. I haven't had any panic attacks in about a year and a half. Years ago, I lived with them all day, every day.

Some will say that medication is a faster route to peace (and they are probably right), but this is what worked for me. I don't see anything wrong with medications, and would encourage anyone who seeks help to take them, but that was not the route that I chose.

You asked if anyone was successful in beating panic and anxiety without medication and that's my story!!

HTH!
Jenn

I too have been plagued by feelings of anxiety but not panic attacks. Since I don't like taking medication I have learned to let myself go. Sometimes I just lie down sort of spread out and let the feelings peak and then subside. If I curl up and try to fight it I really get anxious. Walking my dog is a huge help--just outside striding along and I start to feel better especially if I look up and not at the ground. A deep breath and then smiling for no reason also helps. I also realized that my anxiety often has little to do with outside issues and lots of times just wells up from within. I will ask myself why I feel anxious nothing has changed or gotten worse and often I feel fine even tho the same condition exists. Also try to remember that nothing stays the same and how you are feeling right now is not necessarily how you will tomorrow or even in 15 minutes. I think if you took a survey most people would report feelings of anxity regardless of their status. Good luck to you and I am off to check into that Claire Weeks book.

Thank You

Thank you all for chiming in. It helps tremendously to know that people understand. Sometimes it's worth more than any medication :). I used to be completely against medications, but I also know that I've been feeling low for years now so I obviously don't know how to handle this alone. I just found out that my school offers counseling services, so I'm going to give that a go (I was up all night so had a lot of time to look stuff up). If this doesn't settle down soon, I think I have to go for medications, as I simply don't know what else to do. I know that there are several antidepressants that work with anxiety, as well, and aren't as addictive.

The weird thing is that my mom has had a lot of serious medical problems lately, and since she's had problems with severe anxiety in the past, her stress manifested itself in that way again. I was home with her for weeks trying to help her through her severe panic attacks and depression. I was already feeling anxious and down but as soon as I returned from being with her, MY STRESS turned around and became attacks. She just found a medication that makes her feel fabulous (although drowsy and somewhat out of it) but she knows that this hard time will pass and she can start weaning herself off the meds (as she did before).

I have a hard time opening up to her about this right now, because I know that she'll be so worried about me she'll stop working on herself. She's been through a lot and doesn't need that right now. I know I also have a lot of soul-searching to do about why I've been so unhappy. I think a person can only take that for so long before something goes wrong. A therapist or counselor is probably the best option.

Thanks everyone! Any support feels so good.

Sara

Sara,

I've had one very brief encounter with an anxiety attack. Not something I could handle at any time of life.

I just want to give you (((((hugs))))) and warm fuzzies. All I can suggest is to see your doctor.

Please take care of yourself,

Janie from Stuff Like That There,

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Steroids can definitely make one wound-up and nervous (I recently took Prednisone, and it had that effect on me). I can see how they might also contribute to anxiety.

In addition to the other advice you've gotten, I wonder if it might help if, when you start to feel anxious, do some controlled breathing (slowing down your breath). Perhaps some yoga and mediation techniques might also give you some relief.

I too suffer from panic/anxiety attacks. For years I suffered with debilitating attacks, not knowing I could get help for my anxiety. Last year, I saw a new physician, and she put me on Lexapro. A combination of depression/anxiety type medication. I had side affects from it, and stopped taking it. I spoke to her once again about what I was feeling, and told her it was more anxiety than anything else, but I didn't want to take a medication every day. She recommended Xanas. I take a very low dose of it, and the good thing about it is, I only take it when I need it. Even though I take only 2.5 MG, I usually only take 1/2 pill when I need it. At night, I will often take a whole pill so I don't wake up in the middle of the night with major anxiety. Anxiety is very difficult to cope and a lot of people don't understand it. My husband will sometimes tell me the most annoying things, like, you need to just turn off your brain, you think too much! That's easier said than done.

I feel for you, but know that you don't have to suffer with the attacks. If you can find coping skills without medication, even better, but sometimes you do need something to get you through the hurdle.

I know that it is so hard to deal with such fear. For me, the culprit was Yaz. It increased my heartrate and gave me some terrifying panic attacks. Well, they are all horrid - I just mean that on it, I had some that were bad and a couple that were just plain terrible. I went off of Yaz and have been fine since. By nature, I am a worrier and can get anxious but that is just a part of life. I recognize it and know when I am being silly about worrying about something, and when there is a real need to worry...not that worrying does a bit of good! When I was having the attacks, I did as the above poster (Jenn) did. I hate to take medicine. That was my only alternative. I just talked to myself like I would talk to someone going through an attack. Best wishes to you.

Since we are all talking about medication I thought I would just add one of my experiences with anxiety. Many years ago I was in a VERY stressful situation and was so filled with anxiety that I weighed 98 lbs. One night totally unable to sleep I decided to take a valium type medication that had been prescribed. I took it and fell asleep and woke up feeling much better. While congratulating myself on taking the pill I looked at the nightstand to see that I had not taken a half of valium but half of an aspirin by mistake. That was it for me. I figured I could be given anything and told it was for anxiety and it would have worked. That was food for thought.

I too have had panic attacks. Actually just reading about them scares me. That feeling of hopelessness pushing on your chest robing you of air. I don't know if there is a corolation, I am a bit of a type A/OCD person who also suffers from moments of "depression" and insomnia. I've seen a therpist, and a Dr. who reccomended all sorts of anti depressants. For years I refused to go on medication until my brother in law who is a family Dr. said to me "If you needed glasses to see you'd buy glasses wouldn't you? Well if you need medication to function daily why wouldn't you take it?" So I tried it. First one I hated the side effects. Second same thing, third, . . . .well you get the picture. I didn't want to give up because I know that it takes some trying to get it right. I don't work in the best environment. Okay I HATE my job. I think it causes a lot of my stress. Luckily my husband is great and supportive and I've got two great kids to vouch for. So one day when I was so upset, . . .for whatever reason (had to do with work) I sensed a panic attack coming. I just stopped what I was doing took a few really deep breaths, closed my eyes, and then I just put on my running shoes grabed my ipod and went running. I mean I just went running, and I ran and ran and ran for 6 miles till I realized that I felt better. I got home, walked a little bit and hit the shower and then just drank a cup of earl grey and you know what, it worked. Not only did I not have the panic attack I felt great. I didn't let what usually gets me down get me down. I focused on what was really important for me which is my family and I felt better. I'm not saying that exercise works for everyone. If you need the medication I say try it. You'll never know. If it doesn't work quit and it will work its way out of your system. I've quit taking medications, except for the occassional ambien every now and then when I know I need the sleep. Best advice I can offer is to develop a relationship with your Dr. tell him or her how you feel. If you decide to try medication make sure you keep that line of communication open. There is hope, you just need to reach out and take the help. There are a lot of really great people on this forum who can help with that. Give you advice and to keep tabs on you. Good luck to you.

Depression/anxiety have affected all the males in my family, myself included. I have had several bouts of depression over the years that went untreated, and the symptoms eventually did pass, but I did notice each episode was worse than the one before it.

Luckily, I had a wonderful doctor who told me I needed to make lifestyle changes...more exercise and medication. I have been following this advice for close to 10 years now, and will have to the rest of my life. The last 10 years have been the clearest, happiest days of my life, so I know there is hope around the corner for all who suffer through this disease.

I will never, ever, understand the concept behind being afraid to take meds when prescribed, they help to allow me to become the person I always wanted to be.

Exercise is the most wonderful, natural form of self-medication out there, no matter the type of exercise, but that alone wasn't the answer for me.

Medication is certainly not for everyone, but having helped close family members who struggle with anxiety and panic attacks, I can say that it is a godsend for some people. It helps take the edge off, giving you the ability to use deep breathing and/or cognitive behavioral therapy to conquer the problem. One helpful book is The Anxiety Cure: An Eight-Step Program for Getting Well by Robert L. DuPont.

I found this page http://www.adaa.org/gettinghelp/MFarchives/LowCostTreatment.asp for some low-cost treatment ideas. I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but maybe worth a try.

Only you and your doctor can figure out what the best combination is for you. I would encourage you to remain open to various options to see what works.

Good luck....sending positive thoughts your way!

I have had stress and near panic attacks associated with stressing about my son's diabetes, as well as other things in my life.

Someone recommended this book, and I've JUSt started doing some of the exercises , and it's worked! (Got it from the library) It concentrates on using deep breathing techniques, progressive muscle relaxation and meditation to help. It is geared towards panic attacks too. But can be used for generalized stress. (me).

the name of it is: The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook

Possible help

Sarah,
You mentioned that you can't afford counseling, but perhaps there is a counseling center that would make some adjustments based on your ability to pay. I know of places where they charge on a sliding scale, and wouldn't turn you away because you can't afford it.

I'm glad that you reached out to us. Please try to find help in your area. You shouldn't have to suffer simply because help is too expensive!

Best of luck and I please keep us posted!

--Kathryn

Just wanted to add to the list of people who have already let you know you ARE NOT alone!! I 've had panic attacks for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until after high school that I knew what they were. For me, when it starts, my head gets tingly, my stomach instantly becomes upset, and my heart beats FAST. They usually happen at night, though so far, not nearly as much anymore since I know what they are and though, quite unpleasant, nothing harmful. Sometimes, I'll be laying there in the midst of one and realize my body is actually shaking. I have to force myself to stop shaking. If I can fall asleep, they will usually go away. The actual panic attack lasts 10 minutes; everything past that "we" create. It seems like when I'm having one, most often brought on by worry, everything else that comes to my mind makes it worse. I had one in my early 20's that lasted from about 2pm until around midnight. That one totally came out of the blue. I always keep a prescription of Lorazepam (Ativan) and will take it daily if extra worried. Anyway, I realize none of this probably helps, but just know there is hope and you're not alone.

Thank you SO much! The support and the different points of view are incredibly helpful. I would absolutely love to get by without meds, but in reality, I am becoming more open to them if they will improve my quality of life. I'm starting to look at it as one of the pieces to the puzzle and not the "cure." I am fully aware that I MUST make lifestyle changes. I have been at a heightened state of anxiety for over three years, as I've had a lot of things happen in this short period of time. But if these panic attacks and the depression continue, I think I'm willing to give the medications a try to jump start the process. I'm aware that they aren't taking care of the source of the problem, but I need to function and I'm tired of being unhappy. I've always been afraid of medications because of their side affects, but there comes a point when this constant unhappiness/stress of the body is more dangerous and crippling than the medicine themselves. I believe that a healthy state of mind is so incredibly important, and yet I seem to not be able to reach that state myself.

I also think that many of your are correct in that I need to just ACCEPT the panic I'm feeling rather than being so terrified that I'm having heart attack that I only make things worse. The attacks themselves won't kill me, but the constant state of anxiety/depression is not healthy. I need to concentrate more on the big picture than the immediate "danger," because it's not immediately dangerous. I will certainly be checking into the counseling services my school offers and taking whatever opportunity I can.

I also just today made a radical change in my education path that is more healthy. I think I've been following a path that doesn't make me happy simply because I wanted to prove to myself I could conquer something challenging. If that isn't type-A self-sabotage, I don't know what is.

I know I've said it before, but the support you guys give is truly amazing. I don't want it to come out wrong, but knowing you have been there and have words of wisdom for me is so comforting and uplifting. I don't LIKE that you guys have suffered, but I appreciate what you have to offer.

Thanks! I'm going to check out the books and links and see what I can get my hands on. I'm feeling a little optimistic at this moment, even though it is 2:00 in the morning and I can't even begin to relax. I'll get there :)

Sara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.