P90X vs. Cathe DVD's to get body back

gingin

Hi everyone in the New Mom's category --

I have a question about the best workouts to buy once I deliver.

There has been much praise for the Cathe DVD's and the P90X DVD set.

Currently I do not own any of either.

Considering the fact that I won't be able to afford both, which would be the best to purchase to regain my pre-pregnancy body? I'm looking for heavy cardio first with weights being secondary as I pump iron with my husband in our garage.

If you suggest the Cathe DVD's, which would be the best? Or should I simply buy her Package of 40 DVD's at $659.90?

My pre-pregnancy bod and current first trimester bod is Advanced in Cardio and Intermediate/Advanced in strength.

Thank you very much for your advice.

If you are looking for lots of cardio, I don't think P90X will fill your needs. There really is only a couple of pure cardio workouts in the set and they are not terrible intense by themselves.

If you are comfortable with basic step aerobics or feel like you can pick it up easily, then I highly recommend Cathe's step workouts. I don't think you would need all 40 DVDs though. Since it sounds like you don't need heavy weights-only workouts, you just need to decide whether you want workouts that are all step, or cardio-weights circuit, or a few of both.

My recommendations are:
CTX
Cardio & Weights/IMAX2
Kick, Punch & Crunch/Legs & Glutes
Step Blast/Step, Jump & Pump

This would give you 6 step workout sections, 2 kickbox workouts, a hi-lo cardio section, 3 cardio/weights circuit workouts, 2 legs-only workouts. All of this is without counting the premixes on the DVDs that give you even more options.

Hope this helps!
Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer! You are so very helpful.

My step skills are good, but I've only done Reebok, Kathy Smith, Crunch and Denise Austin on the step. Not worried about complex choreography, because I'm a good dancer, have a groove and can pick up new configurations easily.

I'll add these Cathe DVDs to my Christmas wish list and practice before baby delivery in May, modifying where needed.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts! Have a good weekend.

I agree that P90X will not give you enough cardio. I have bought a few Cathe's from different series and am finding that I like the Intensity Series best. I just ordered the last DVD to complete the series. If you can afford it, buy the whole series at once and save a little. I have two small children and like the times of the workouts. I think Bootcamp is great and have noticed a difference since I have been doing it a few times a week.
Good luck,
Bobbi

Hi Bobbi,

Thank you for your advice.

I've also had my eye on the Intensity Series. Looked at Cathe's page, where she wrote about her pregnancy, including pictures. I believe she mentioned that doing the Intensity Series sort of gave her that extra boost to reduce some thickness around her waistline.

It will be terrific to have challenging workout DVD's, as Kathy Smith & Denise Austin have always been too easy. I never knew Cathe existed until recently. Have some Tamilee Webb, which is a little more advanced than K.S. & D.A. Before getting pregnant, did my own intense outdoor workout sessions. Now it's snowy & icey, and I've put up the jump rope until delivery. Also invested in interlocking aerobic floor mats from Greatmats.com for my den area and someday physically demanding DVDs.

Have a fun weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.