Owners of elderly pets question - quality of life?

dreamyjeanie

Cathlete
How do you determine when its time to let go? I have a 14 year old aussie who is not quite there yet, but I can tell from her recent changes that I need to start thinking about it. She suffers from arthritis and has been on Dermaxx which helps tremendously. She has been able to run and play as long as she doesn't over do it, up until this week. This past week's winter cold snap has really affected her. She didn't show signs of pain by whimpering or anything like that. She just took a long time figuring out if she wanted to get up if she was laying down, or if she wanted to lay down when she was already standing. Her vet added a pain reliefer to help her on her bad days. She still has her appetite and is playful. My question is this, if dogs don't show their pain, how will I know when she can't handle it any more? I'm in tears thinking about it.

Jean

I agree with Janie...your dog will let you know when it's time. I have a 14 year old springer/lab mix who has terrible arthritis, a small heart murmur and a surgically repaired ACL and I wouldn't even dream of letting him go yet. He is still full of life, likes to play(as much as he is able), has a good appetite and has all of his mental faculties. Have you tried Adequan injections for the arthritis? We started them about 2 years ago and they have made a world of difference. He is also on Metacam and Cosequin for the arthritis. Also, my vet said that for some unknown reason certain dogs just respond to certain drugs better even though they are in the same class as another drug. That sounds confusing...what I mean is my dog was on Deramaxx for a long time and when we switched him to Metacam he was like a whole different dog, even though Metacam and Deramaxx do the same thing and are in the same drug class.

I know it is hard to see your dog hurting, believe I know. I just think that if arthritis is really the only problem I wouldn't think of letting go just yet. JMHO.:)

You will know when it is time. Until then enjoy every moment that you have with her and try not to think about "when the time comes." It sounds like you are working with your vet to make her as comfortable as possible, and there are some suggestions on this thread as to alternative medications that you can ask about. Your vet may be able to offer some insight on how much pain she is in, but ultimately it is your decision. I have been there--as have these other ladies--and I believe that your dog will let you know. Take care.

MissL

i was just going to type the same thing: they will let you know.... and they will.... sadly.... it doesn't make it any easier though......

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

I have a 16 year old black cocker. He is now deaf, near blind, with chronic ear infections. The poor thing is so weak that he falls going up and down the stairs, but would kill himself to be near the family, so I have resorted to putting up gates to stop him from breaking his neck. But he doesn't seem to be in pain, still is so happy to see us in the evening, can control his bladder, and manages to still chase a tennis ball. I wonder myself when to make that decision-I am hoping when the time comes it will be obvious. Our vet has a do anything to prolong life attitude, so I have not really discussed it with him.

Hi,

I have a 15 year old Aussie who is blind and almost died two years ago. She had something like a siezure and of course we were on vacation. They never did find out what it was after spending lots of money. She doesn't go for long walks anymore, but she is always in the same room as the family. Sometimes old pets have good and bad periods. You will know when it's time. I know this is aweful, but after having to put our first dog to sleep because he got to that point, I always pray that mine will just die.

Tracy

Jean, I know what you're going through.

I have a 16-year-old diabetic cat (and diabetes seems to age them faster) who I thought was at the end several times in the last 8 months or so, but he keeps on going through sheer will-power alone (since he's not much more than bone, and pretty weak, but not in any pain that I can tell).

You will know when it's time. Though animals have the instinct to hide pain, they often can't hide it in their eyes, so look in your doggies eyes and see what is there.

Also, having a more objectve opinion of someone who knows the dog (your vet) might help you make that decision.

It's hard making the decision that a beloved pet has had enough (I wish they would all just peacefully pass away in their sleep when it's time...I hope that for my cat, but the vet says his heart is srong.

{{{{Jean and doggie}}}}

Hi Jean--I think we've chatted before b/c I'm in the same situation. Your email could be mine.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as Cosmo is happy & still has quality of life, I'm keeping her around. I've been sleeping on my couch for the last two months & she has lost some control of her bodily functions so I've had some messes to clean up.

But she still has spirit in her eyes, she's still playful when she gets a burst of energy, she still has a good appetite.

I echo what others have said b/c that's what I'm thinking for myself--when it's time, you'll know.

Here's hoping both our buddies make it through the holidays......

Thank you all for your responses. I made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow. That way I'll feel more comfortable knowing if it is just arthritis or if she has some other things going on. Thanks again for all of your kind words. I've only had to put down one other dog and that was years ago and even afterwards, I would always have second thoughts, that maybe I should have tried to do more for her. I was fortunate enough with our cat to have her pass away on her, so I didn't have to make the decision for her. Hopefully I'll get some answers tomorrow.

Jean

Yes, please let us know how it goes.

I have a 14 year old Keeshond that is mostly deaf, nearly blind, has a hard time going up and down the stairs (even falls) and has recently started to whimper when sleeping. However, she still has that sparkle in her cloudy eyes. This morning she even attempted to run down our smaller flight of stairs. It made me smile and sad at the same time. I started to remember how she was as a puppy. I remember how she'd break lose from her leash and how fast she'd run away from me, then run back, then away again (repeat until puppy energy had faded). That was her favorite game (however, I didn't like it so much because we were in an apartment complex at the time and I was so scared she'd get hit by a car).

I've always had to put my animals to sleep. I've never been blessed with one who has gone on his/her own. I agree with what everyone else says...you will know, without a doubt, when it's time.

Alli
http://home.comcast.net/~fitmom/allisigpostboard.jpg
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one's watching.."
~JBJ~

Wow, this thread is a hard one. I remember when our dog, Willie, was getting old and having health problems. It is so hard to take. How sad that we know them as babies and,then, before we know it, they're little old ladies or men. We actually put carpet on our hard wood stairs so that Willie could get up and down them. (really not attractive, but who cares. The guy at the carpet place said he that he couldn't count the times people had come in for the same reason.)

Willie was a very good dog, all the way up to the end. He died in his sleep one night, on the floor, right next to our bed.

Weeks later, we took that ugly carpet up, but we still have it. One of these days, I'm sure we'll need it for Gracie and Gilda, and whatever other dogs that we're lucky enough to let us be a part of their very short lives.

I could have written this post as well. I've got a 16 year old dog and yesterday I started to think it's time to have a talk with the vet about what signs I need to look for. She has seizures, is mostly deaf, mostly blind, and is beginning to lose control of her bladder. She's been on thyroid medicine for years as well. This last week she has been having issues with diarrhea and vomiting (she only did that once), and there have been no changes whatsoever in her diet. It's so hard to even contemplate, she's my little baby.

Last week we had about 8-10" of snow and she got lost. I about lost my mind while looking for her. She always just steps right out the front door to do her duty, and knocks (yes, knocks:) )when she's done. My SO found her ACROSS the street and down the road stuck in snow up to her head.

Anyway, I hope the best for you and your pet.
Brandi

Jean,

It appears you are approaching this the best possible way. I hope to learn from you.

I have a 12 year old mix, Hillary, that is definitely showing signs. Her little eyelashes are pure white. Last year I asked DH to cut down the legs on the old wing back chair she adopted because I noticed she was jumping off and then limping due to what I think is arthritis. Sometimes it appears she gets confused when we go on walks but other than that, she is in outstanding shape. I watch her very closely.

One thing I hope I can do is put the needs Hillary before my emotions and not let her suffer.

<<One thing I hope I can do is put the needs Hillary before my emotions and not let her suffer.>>

this is the most important thing to remember when it comes to the welfare of our pets. your pet may or may not let you know (mine did not), and your vet may not advise you to do it either even though it is time. it really is a decision that each pet owner has to make as only you can truly know if your pet is suffering. i would also suggest considering the pets mental and emotional state as well. does the physical limitations create excessive stress and anxiety for your pet? if so, then your pet is also suffering mentally. this was sort of the situation i was in with my little gomez. his physical limitations created so much distress for him at times, that it would break my heart to watch him struggle. i chose to put gomez down while he could still walk into the vet's office on his own. i wanted him to go out with dignity, and he did.

i feel for everyone here who is dealing with this phase of their pet's life. it is so hard, but know that you have loved them so much and have given them such a great life. while they are waiting for you to join them, they will be playing and running around like puppies. this gives me comfort to know that gomez is in a better place.

Hi, I truly feel for you. They will let you know. About a month ago I had to put my 16 year old cat down. She had cancer & her kidneys were failing. I knew it was time because she stopped eating & went into my daughter's dark closet & just laid there. I took her to the vet & held her while the vet gave her an injection. She died with dignitiy & me holding her in my arms. I still cry when I think of it. I only wish we treated people that way too.

Karen

Oh, Jean,

I really can sympathize! We just found out today that there's a good chance that my 15 1/2 year old kitty has lymphoma and most likely cancer in her kidneys and bowels. We won't know the results until Thursday, but I just know that it won't be long until we will be put in the position of having to let her go. I agree with those that say that you will just know. My kitty isn't ready yet, she still has a healthy appetite and jumps and runs and stays with us but she is losing weight quickly and is slender to begin with.

Treat her as well as you can, love her, spoil her, and enjoy her company. She will let you know with her eyes and her behavior that she has to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you.

Leslie

Funny that so many of you mention the fact that it's in their eyes. My husband's 16 yr old dog is ready to go down. He's deaf, almost blind, can't always control his bowels and bladder, his sense of balance is off, he's arthritic, etc. etc. I've been trying to tell DH that it's time - I specifically told him to look in his eyes... I guess he can't see it because he doesn't want to.

>When it's time, your little one will let you know. I'm sorry,
>I love my animals too. I wish they had a longer life span.
>But do listen, I know it's hard.
>
>Janie

I had a dog for 13 years. She got a tumor that was inoperable. So we knew the end was coming. She did too. This was a terrible time for us. We could do nothing else for her. Just to continue loving her and being there for her. The night before we were going to take her back to the doctor She passed away. She did this quietly saving us from having to put her to sleep. They know alot more than we give them credit for. I too wish they had a longer life span. Look within yourself for the right thing to do.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.