Over 40 ladies poll

Cafelattee

Cathlete
sorry screwed up the poll but will just ask

1. do you do low impact only cardio
2. high impact only cardio
3. a combination

I'm just wondering what other my age are doing? When is it better to do low impact? When does high impact start being more bad then good for our joints?

Last edited:
both. I tend to modify workouts down to low impact, such as Wed I did CrossFire's Tabata workouts LI and Plyo, I modified the Plyo down so it looked more like LI but still had fun and a great workout. But I do some jumping, I do like jacks but won't do tuck jumps. I think a lot of it depends on how I feel that day, if the workout has a modifier {think KCM's} I tend to do something between what the modifier is showing and what the rest of the gang is doing. I also feel my LI decision has more to do with being overweight than being in my 40's.

I'm 41 and only did high impact until I discovered Cathe and her amazingly intense low impact cardio. Now I do all of Cathe's (both high and low impact cardio) plus all of my other high impact workouts (Insanity, TurboFire, and individual workouts like Amy Dixon's Breathless Body series).

I don't have any joint problems yet--I hope I never do! I was in a very bad accident in 2009--I was 38. A drunk driver hit me head on and shattered both of my heels and broke many other bones throughout my body. I now have 2 plates and 12 screws in both of my heels. Though it was a little more than a year before I could actually jump again, I kept at it and by 18 months post accident I could tuck jump again.

I never modify anything now. I was afraid because of my age when I was in the accident I would never be able to do high impact moves again. So I tuck jump with joy! :D

Both, I'm 49. I modify some things like burpees and even the mountain climbers in slidenglide by using my step because my shoulder can't take my going all the way to the floor. I also modify tuck jumps depending on how my knee is doing that day. The aches and pains tend to come and go, as long as they go for awhile, I'm happy :)

Like jengollf - I do whatever I can that day with JOY :)

I'm 48 and do both. No joint problems or pain, but for whatever reason, I can't run. No matter how slow I start, how careful I take it, I sustain an injury (very minor, but enough to stop me). I love it, it just doesn't love me. But I can do any other high impact activity without pain or problem. Oh, I should add that I'm really picky about my workout surface (no hard flooring for high impact).

Having said that, we're all so different, it's probably not a good thing to compare yourself to others based solely on age. We all have such different genes, medical histories, etc. I have a friend whose husband was a professional soccer player and now in his late 30s has significant, limiting joint pain, yet most guys his age probably don't have the same issues.

Not matter what, may we all be exercising with Cathe and crew for many, many years to come!

I am 51 and do both! Been working out with Cathe for years. I preorderd xtrain and can't wait to get it. Cathe keeps me young!!!!

I'm 49 and do only low impact. But I have had joint problems all of my life and have learned that high impact can cause me pain for weeks. Cathe's high intensity low impact is great!

I'm 56 and like & do both! I have to be careful with my knees, though.... ouch! I may modify some high impact stuff that hurts. Also, Advil helps.
I have knee issues since my 20's, but it's gotten worse with age.

I'm 60 and I do both.

Thankfully I don't have knee problems and I do modify where necessary on some of the high impact workouts. I don't jump up on anything higher than a 6" in box and I make sure I land with bent knees to protect my joints.

I just do what my body allows me to do. For instance, right now I cannot do high impact because last weekend I did a 100k ride and strained my achilles:mad:...so now everything is low impact, weight lifting, walking and definitely no cycling for a little while.

I find I am listening to my body more as I am aging. But then on the flip side, I have to be careful to not listen too much and get hyper-sensitive to myself. I can talk myself out of a workout faster than you can say "a pint of Baskin Robbins Peanut Butter and Chocolate, please!".

56 here - and I do both. I also have to modify when I feel the ol'knees saying "oh no you don't!' :)

I'm 52 and a no impact girl due to knee issues. Can't ride a bike, hike (going down hill is a killer on the knees), use weights for squats, lunges, etc. I'm happy I can do what I can do. I modify a lot!! :D

I turn 47 on 9/17. I do both to mix things up. I also run. LIsten to your body. Push yourself cardio wise, but not joint pain. Get plenty of rest, water and good food. Lessons from Cathe.

I'm 56 and I do both!

I don't have any knee issues, but I broke my wrist doing a step routine last year, so I'm more cautious now because of that. I tell ya.... when you break something, it puts the fear in you. I don't want to go through that again.:(

I am 54 and I do both. I don't do high impact as often as I did when I was younger. I listen to my knees. I do high impact a few days a week vs. almost every day. I try not to do the high impact the day before or after a tough leg workout with a lot of lunges.

I'll be 50 in December and I do both. Like the others have said, if my knees start talking to me, I back off. Can't run as much as I would like but I run as much as I can. Love my weight training and try to be smart about my cardio. I am all about preserving the good health that I have and staying active as long as I'm breathing. Like my dear grandmother used to say, "Better to wear out, than to rust out". :p

redrocks :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.