Out of proportion, looking for suggestios

LauraMax

Cathlete
OK so my deal is I was born w/this genetic defect. I believe the medical term is assless. For over 20 years now I've been trying to build my butt into that perfect round shape Cathe has. I have been completely unsuccessful. Well, maybe not completely, I have a little shape, but more on the side/hips than glutes.

Even worse, my quads & hams have grown quite a bit, so now I just look like I have a big ol' gap betw. my waist & my thighs. :rolleyes:

Trying to figure out what to do w/my leg routine now. I certainly don't want my legs to get any thicker, but I don't want what little progress I've made on my rear end to go away either. Should I reduce my weights by maybe 10% & increase my reps to 12-15? Gawd but that sounds horrifying--legs are already tough enough, do I want to make the routine even longer? :eek:

Maybe I should stay heavy on squats, lunges & presses, but go very light w/sets of 15-20 on extensions & curls?

Those are my only ideas so far. I'd love input from others........especially other assless Cathletes out there..........

UGH mispelling in subject line & I can't edit it. Sorry!

LOL, Laura! I posted something similar a while back and I swear I think Cathe answered me. Maybe it was on fb...not sure.

I'm *ahem* not at home at the moment and can't search for it but I will and I'll put her advice here.

However....I'm not as advanced a work-out-er as you so it may or may not apply.

I agree though...an enviable bum she has...indeed.

I have the same problem! TurboBarre has helped a little and the floor work ankle weight portion of butts and guts, but I have a feeling I will not make much progress because there has never been much back there to begin with! Haha

Oh, man. I wish I had a suggestion for you. Frustrating!

Here in the south, we call your condition "potato butt." Don't ask me why!

Here is an article about building glutes. It is a very long article but I also think there is some good information in it and could be worth reading.

The short version is that this guy (who is supposed to be a glute expert) seems to use a lot of weighted bridge work/hip thrusts and weighted pizza presses (although I think he calls them something different). If I remember correctly, you go to a gym and there could be some of the machines he uses at your gym that could help put the focus on your glutes without adding to your hamstring/quad work.

Hope that helps.

I always had a medical problem called Flat Buttitis. I did Gym Style legs (the other two in the series also) as well as Muscle Max each week for about a month and I noticed that my butt was becoming rounder! There might be a cure yet!

I have never had much of one. When I was pregnant it flattened out and just became wide. Doing Gym Styles and Butts and guts all the time for about 6months really helped and started changing my shape. But lately my hubby and my sister have been saying my butt is rock hard and I have developed a "pa pow booty". A really sweet comment for me, because I have always hated my lack of butt. I did STS/low impact series and followed up by Cathe's Cyclemax anywhere from 1-3 times a week.

Sarah

Sarah

I'm tall and lean and don't have a very generous booty but I have some definition and it's all i really need or care to have, quite frankly. I have built it from running, both medium distance and sprints, and from powerwalking, up and down hills. You can mimic this on a treadmill with high inclines.

Building glutes comes from the cardio that you do too, not just weights work.

I agree with other posters also that exercises to discreetly target the glutes might indeed come from pilates. I often do glute tucks by lying prone over a stability ball and lifting the legs up behind me and above, squeezing the glutes with each rep. 3 sets of 20. I feel these. I think Cathe does these on one of her recent lower body routines. Which one? I dunno.

Clare

I have this same issue! I just read a lower body workout suggestion from Adela Garcia in FitnessRX magazine. Here's what she wrote: walking lunges 4 x 30 each leg superset with 1 1/4 squats 4 x 20 (I'm not certain what a 1 1/4 squat is, but I'm guessing one full squat followed by a 1/4 dip into a squat counts as one); stationary DB step ups 4 x 20 each leg (emphasize your glutes) superset with leg curls 4 x 15; leg presses (feet high) 5 x 30 superset with pop squats 5 x 25; reverse hyperextensions 4 x 20 (hold for a second at top) superset with jump lunges 4 x 25; single leg glute bridges 100 reps each leg. She suggested this for a competitor trying to bring down her legs, but I'm thinking it will help with my glutes as well. I hope I get lean legs and a round butt. :)

Laughing my bubble butt off....yes, that's what I have, so if you want some of mine, Laura, I would be happy to donate a part of my butt!!

Here is an article about building glutes. It is a very long article but I also think there is some good information in it and could be worth reading.

The short version is that this guy (who is supposed to be a glute expert) seems to use a lot of weighted bridge work/hip thrusts and weighted pizza presses (although I think he calls them something different). If I remember correctly, you go to a gym and there could be some of the machines he uses at your gym that could help put the focus on your glutes without adding to your hamstring/quad work.

Hope that helps.

That is a great article, thanks Julie. I'm on vacation as of tomorrow & I plan on spending some time on the beach w/some books & articles to put together a whole new lifting routine. I'll def. be using some of this guy's stuff.

But I cannot believe he put wires & electrodes in his undies! LOL! Seems a little risky, yes?

So we've got assless, flat buttitis, bubble butt & pancake butt. I used to get called brick ass in college. I've heard donkey booty on the RH. How many other terms are out there for how many other butt shapes? This seems like an Andy Cohen/Phaedra question to me. ;)

Square Butt

This thread is hilarious! But, (no pun intended) ;) After losing 41 pounds and many wonderful compliments on my butt from hubby trying to locate it and after this thread trying to figure out what kind of butt I have. It's revealed to me that I have a square butt. Yep... from the side view it looks like a boys butt.:rolleyes:

Don't like the sound of it. It's not a bad butt, but can improve upon it with Cathe's power of butt exercises. I think I better get started.LOL:D Not sure which ones to start with though.

UPDATE: This link I just found has amazing information in it. Just by rotating in a lunge will you be doing the perfect exercise for our butts. Check it out. This is from a PT (15 years experience) by the name of Jamie Atlas. He is getting great attention with his updated versions of exercises.

The first version is for beginners, the second one is for intermediates and the third one (down to almost the end of his posts) is for the advanced. Very interesting. I think I will give this a try.

How To Get the Perfect Butt – the ONLY exercise you need work ...

Janie

Last edited:

Hope that helps.

I was going to suggest something similar - focus on glute isolation moves, with heavy weight, and see where that gets you.

If all else fails, you can have some of mine. From a front on view, I look like a boy - no hips at all. From the side, it looks like I have a basketball jammed in my pants. In my family, it's lovingly called "The Kruszynski Butt." :)

Too funny :D !! I'm not one of the buttless but biking has done wonders for my bootah...MTB is my main outlet though I've picked up road & spin too. I'm talking boosted to near bubble butt from average smallish/round. If thats not tmi ha :rolleyes:

It doesn't hurt that it's a blast & I absolutely LOVE it... :p

More fun + rounder rump = winwin :D

LauraMax said:
That is a great article, thanks Julie. I'm on vacation as of tomorrow & I plan on spending some time on the beach w/some books & articles to put together a whole new lifting routine. I'll def. be using some of this guy's stuff.

But I cannot believe he put wires & electrodes in his undies! LOL! Seems a little risky, yes?

So we've got assless, flat buttitis, bubble butt & pancake butt. I used to get called brick ass in college. I've heard donkey booty on the RH. How many other terms are out there for how many other butt shapes? This seems like an Andy Cohen/Phaedra question to me. ;)

My hubby calls it "No-ass-itol" syndrome lol I'm right there with you! I will have to give Gym Style Legs a shot and hope for the best :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.