Orthodontic "School"

Worknprogress

Cathlete
Has anybody ever looked into one of these when your child needed braces? I have just found out they exist but am not really sure how they work.

I am guessing that the braces and all of the orthodontic work is not free, correct? For anybody who has checked it out or gone that route, did it cut your cost down by half, more than half?

We live in Ann Arbor, home of the U of Michigan. Since they were toddlers, my 2 girls have received all their dental treatment at the pediatric division of the U of M's Dental School. All the work is done by graduate students specializing in dentistry under constant supervision by the teaching staff, top notch professors. As you can imagine, this reduces our dental costs. A recent check up, cleaning and fluoride treatment for our second daughter, aged 12, cost us $58.50 (with an identical amount charged to our dental insurance which pays 50% of such bills). I have no idea what independent dentists charge for such treatment, but it must be more.

Both our girls have also received all their orthodontic care under the U of M's dental school care. We pay a set amount per month. For our eldest daughter this was $158 for about a year, or year and a half. For our youngest, it is $125 a month. It is still a couple of thousand dollars per child for the full treatment, but I think the ortho bill can run to about $5,000 with independent orthodontists: am I right?

Yeah, I am right. I just found a site online (www.bracesinfo.com/dentalcosts/) where you can find out the average and the highest amount spent on orthodontics for youth/adolescents or adults in cities across the USA. I compared Ann Arbor, MI with San Diego, CA. The highest amount paid last year in Ann Arbor for ortho for an adolescent was $6749. The highest for the same age category in San Diego was $7249. So, there you have it. Ortho/dental schools with good reputations can save you a bundle!

It is definitely worth checking out. And, if you have better dental insurance than us (ours hardly pays any of the ortho treatment, pretty shitty), it can reduce your bill even more.

Clare

Last edited:
Clare - our dental insurance only pays $1500 towards orthodontic work no matter what the total cost is. Of course, as you stated, this cost can be in the $5000 range and more so if you live in a higher cost of living area.

But, I know there are many out there without any insurance so I shouldn't complain. But gosh, when your child needs it, what can you do? You pay it and just grimace the whole time.

Has anybody ever looked into one of these when your child needed braces? I have just found out they exist but am not really sure how they work.

I am guessing that the braces and all of the orthodontic work is not free, correct? For anybody who has checked it out or gone that route, did it cut your cost down by half, more than half?

Hi. I have seen several children from the age group of 5 to 10 and having teeth and gum problems. They eat chocolates, ice creams and stuffs that can easily harm their teeth. Of course orthodontic care is not free. Its actually expensive and currently an average cost on this is around $2000. It's a big amount. If planned to cut its cost, the orthodontic insurance plans are a well route for that. Find the nearest Dental Insurance provider that include orthodontic care in their plans and then purchase it. you can also visit Orthodontic Insurance Plans to Know more on it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.