Opinions on Oxygen Mag

LeanneM

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of getting a subscription to _Oxygen_ magazine since it seems to have such great articles, but, before I do so, I wanted to ask for your opinions. Do you think it's a good magazine?

When I've looked at recent issues, it seems like the exercises in it are geared for those who work out at the gym. Since I'm just working out at home with Cathe now (and recently canceled my gym membership), do you think that most of the exercises wouldn't be useful for me? If so, would the rest of the magazine still be beneficial? Do they ever include exercises for home exercisers?

I already subscribe to several monthly magazines (including _Shape_ and _Self_), so I'm not sure if I really need another one . . . .

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer!

Leanne

Hi Leanne,

I love Oxygen mag. My only complaint is there are too many ads for supplements, etc. . . . but hey, they gotta pay the bills. With regards to the content of the magazine, IMHO, it is great, they give you great articles, great sample exercise routines and wonderful recipes. I am not 40+ but I love readng Tosca Reno's column and aspire to be fit at 40 like her!! I am not into bodybuilding. Therefore, I just flip through the last couple of pages (where most of the figure show info is). While most of the sample exercise are done with gym equipment, there are very few exercises that you can not replicate with dumbells/barbells/bands/tubes to work the same body part (i.e. lat pull down = heavy tubing attached to top door jam; lat row machine = flat back row w/barbell, etc.) I am sure if you see an exercise and would like to know a substitution, the wonderful ladies and gents here on this forum will have suggestions galore!! Enjoy the mag if you decide to get it. Also, FYI- you can get it at a discount at Amazon.com. I just found that out last night and plan to re-subscribe to Fitness RX for Women via Amazon.;-)

Thanks, Kim! It sounds like I should order it. Like you, I'm not interested in the bodybuilding info, but everything else looks really interesting.

I haven't seen Fitness Rx for Women; is that another one you'd definitely recommend?

Thanks for your help!
Leanne

I used to pick up Oxygen on the newsstand, but I like Women's Health and Muscle and Fitness Hers better (especially the former). Oxygen is often too bodybuilding oriented for my tastes, and too full of supplement ads and "ad-articles" (though it doesn't have a lot of stuff on makeup and fashion, which is nice).

Leanne,

I bought Oxygen a few times off the newstand but stopped. I don't want to say there wasn't valuable information in there, but it seemed geared more toward serious bodybuilders, which I'm not. A couple of things that turned me off: I didn't like the excessive supplement ads and the fact that so many of the articles seemed to promote other Oxygen-affiliated publications/products. What really solidified my opinion was when I bought the Tosca Reno book and it included word-for-word the same exact info found in the Clean Eating special issue of the magazine. Just a tad too gimmicky for me. That's JMO, though. If you like it, then it certainly makes sense to subscribe as that will save you some money.

But I'd have to say, my favorite fitness magazine is Women's Health.
[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wavesmile.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

Hi everyone,

I've noticed all the ads in Oxygen before, too, and was worried that the magazine in general would be a bit too body-building-oriented for me.

I think that I'll take Kathryn and Cathy's advice and try Women's Health and Muscle and Fitness Hers first. I'll probably pick up copies of each first so I can look at them more carefully.

Thank you so very much for all the great input!!
Leanne

Love the magazine's content regarding movement ideas, muscle illustrations, etc.

HATE the advertisements. Matter of fact, it's been forever since I bought one (usually, I'll flip through to tweak my movement ideas), but I bought the latest issue and cringed while doing it. I hate supporting those crazy advertisers - it's unhealthy to us all. The current mag has some great exercises I wanted to cut out - otherwise, it's going in the trash. I plan to write them and tell them to re-evaluate their advertisements. Worth a try...

Out of all the fitness mags. I enjoy oxygen the most because it does not include tons of beauty and fashion info which I do not care for. Don't get ne wrong I like girly stuff but not when I am trying to improve my fitness. I have found several workouts in the oxygen mag that I have done at home and reaped great rewards. They are generally a little tougher than the typical fitness mag because they are geared toward more serious weight training. I donot believe you have to be into bodybuilding to enjoy weight training. I hoped this helped. :) rachel

Have to agree with kathryn 100%.

I once subscribed to the mag for inspiration, but just couldn't find myself among it's pages. Let's see: I don't aim to be a bodybuilder competitor, I don't aim to be a female Arnold, I don't believe in expensive supplements. I don't ever weight train at the gym and their mag is not orientated towards the home exerciser, and I don't exercise in tops so small my boobs fall out nor bottoms so skimpy my cheeks fall out. See? I just don't fit.

But what really pissed me off was the hypocrisy radiating from its pages. They have this Robert guy, who think he writes editorial "tough love," but he's really intolerant and a bully. To him, you are worthless if you do not espouse his fitness philosophies, and how on earth could you possibly have any self esteem whatsoever?!?!??!?! And then on the other hand, he includes features articles on fitness "Stars", whose boobs do fall out of their tops while working out, who can devote their lives to fitness and a healthy life because they make their money from peddling ill-health to the general populace: yes, that's right, by owning and promoting fast food chains.

Nuff said.

Clare

Thanks for all the input, everyone! Those crazy ads drive me crazy, too, so I think I'll skip the subscription and try the two others mentioned instead.

I really appreciate all your help!
Leanne

I like it, but all the implants and tans on these women really drive me crazy after awhile. I take it in small doses.

Clare, I agree about Robert Kennedy -- he seems like a real buffoon. I was shocked to find out that he's married to Tosca Reno (not for very long, I don't think -- she was married to her first husband until she was in her early 40s). She seems so cool and he seems so not cool.

Hi,

I think it's a good magazine, but one thing aside from what YOU noticed, I have noticed that alot of the exercises are repetitive - different model, different set up maybe, but same logic behind the workout.

I like the mag for the pictures and occasional articles, as well as recipes. I have to admit though, I've only made one or two dishes that were in the mag. I like the pics though for motivation.

:)

:D I have to admit that I pick up Oxygen every month. I do admit the magazine has gone overboard with the supplement advertisements though. I find the models motivational even though of course I will never maintain the body fat levels the fitness models have. As for the eating clean goes, I watch what I eat but if I want something I will have it in moderation. I find the articles and pictures motivational though to keep me on track. I do agree that Robert Kennedy is probably a real jerk, just a perception of course. I also pick up Fitness Rx for Women, Weight Watchers, Fitness, Shape and Muscle and Fitness Hers, even though I have become disappointed with the size of the magazine for the price. Out of all the magazines listed above for me I like Oxygen the best and of course this is just my opinion!

All of the complaints listed are valid and I don't disagree. I subscribe to muscle and fitness, i buy muscle and fitness hers, oxygen, weightwatchers magazine and fitness rx for women. My favorite is oxygen, I have every issue made with the exception of about four. I only work out at home and I am able to create good home routines with my huge library of oxygen magazines. I do not care for Robert Kennedy either and I felt a little decieved when I heard that Tosca was married to him. I flip through the ads to get to the articles that apply to me.

I enjoy On Fitness Magazine. It's a magazine for personal trainers but it has SO many great form tips and the latest research and ads in the back only. :)

>I enjoy On Fitness Magazine. It's a magazine for personal
>trainers but it has SO many great form tips and the latest
>research and ads in the back only. :)

This sounds like a really good one! Is it available at regular bookstores?

I noticed, too, that Oxygen is coming out with a clean eating magazine later this year. It might be interesting to pick it up, although I'm worried that it will still carry all of those ads . . . .

Leanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.