Opinions of the "new" M&F Hers

AKirkland

Cathlete
Ya know, they did this big survey of subscribers and talked about all the great new changes they were going to make in design and content. At the time, I thought, "Why change?" Now that I've seen a couple of issues, I really liked it better the way it was.

As a designer, I liked the layout, color scheme, overall arrangement of the magazine. I also thought the monochromatic covers were pretty cool just 'cuz they were unique.

I find the new layout to be kinda jumbled and confusing - lots of different fonts, colors seem dull. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it looks more masculine now - kinda cold and techno looking.

What do y'all think? Love it or hate it?

Angela

RE: Opinions of the

Angela,

I liked the old M&F Hers. I liked the type of information contained withing the old magazine. I am going to wait to see if the issues get any better. I know that when there is a changed in any organization, it may be a little rocky at first. However, if the magazine does not change to my liking, I will not renew my subcription.

Terri:)

I first subscribed to the magazine when it first came out. I loved it then but let the subscription lapse. I just got it again and boy, it's not very good. Too many ads and ads that look like articles. I am thinking about cancelling.

Beth

Thats what i hate too, ads, ads and more ads. Muscle Media has about 6 little ad papers in the pages, so does yoga journal. I mean, comeon, you think that seeing all those bloody things (oppps, sorry!) makes me want to buy your mag again? Nope, makes me want to never buy it more like!

I too liked it better the way it was! I liked the cover better, it really stood out on the shelves. I also don't like the layout and content as much now. It just seems too "fluffy". It's less serious fitness and more girly-girl.

Bummer! I just subscribed! Are there any magazines you all WOULD recommend? :) I subscribed to Muscle & Fitness Hers and Living Fit...

Hi Angela! I hate the new look as well as the 30 or more pgs. that are missing! Not very much bang for your buck at $4.00. I doubt very much that this was Weider's vision for this mag but unfortunately he retired & sold the mag to the people that also put out Fitness & Shape. Women that wrote complaining may or may not show up in the "Letters" section until the next issue. It looks like the same ole Shape to me. I picked up FitnessRX instead. Kathy:-(

I liked it the way it was!! There's so much missing from the new layout and as KathyH indicated looks more like Shape or Fitness Magazines. Maybe someone should call them and tell them we want our M&F Hers the way it was - if it ain't broke - don't fix it!!!

Hi KathyH - how are you?

Take care,

Iris

I liked it better the way it was too! I have subscribed to it since it first came out and just loved the articles and info they presented.

Now its just too much run of the mill "fitness fluff".

I am one of the ones that did write a letter to the editor complaining about it. I hope it gets published in the next issue!

Sure am glad others on this forum feel the same way.. I thought it was just me!

Lynn

I'm very unimpressed myself the M&F hers also. I have become exceptionally unhappy with Shape, but I have 2 more years on my subscription. No real substance... and if you pick up one magazine, it's hard it distinguish it from the previous 12 issues. M&F hers has become the same... no real substance, nothing interesting, and PAGES and PAGES of 3 or 4 page long "ads" that they try to disguise as articles. I used to buy them a lot, now I'll do a 30-second run-through in the grocery store waiting for my DB to shop :)

Sara

Oh my! I completely agree with you all and the bummer is that I just renewed my subs before the new style came out! S**T!

It's so busy now, the cover is hard to grasp, there's too much on it, the distinctive colour contrasts is gone, it is SHAPE in a "trying not to be so fluffy" package, but really, there aint a lot of difference, models holding 5 pound dumbells rather than Shape's 3 pound ones..... the same mini-snippets of fitness info
we've read before. The substance is gone.

I recently cancelled my Oxygen subs cos I got so cheesed off by hypocritical edditorials and an over concentration on photos of the fit and famous...........so what is there really left ?

I still like Energy, just about. But after a while, about 6 issues, all these mags repeat themselves and eachother, so I think I conclude, echoing the previous poster, that they are worth a flip through at the supermarket check out....

....oh, and my daughters like to cut them up to use the coloured pieces to build collages....

Clare

Clare,....

Clare,

You made me laugh out loud!!!!
Your comment about the model holding the 5 lb dumbell as opposed to Shape's 3 lb one was very funny!!

And,..so very accurate.

Thanks for giving me my giggle of the day!

Lynn

Well, it looks like I'm not alone in longing for the old M&F Hers. I'm glad I started this thread. I thought the new look was the result of overwhelming response to their readers' survey, but judging from the reactions here, looks like they've shot themselves in the foot. Kinda like "new Coke.":7

I hate, abhore, dispise and every other possible synonym the new-and-definitely-NOT-improved M&F. When people used to ask for recommendations for fitness mags, my top two were always M&F Hers and (later) Energy. Now, if Energy changes, I'll really have nothing new to read!

The new M&FH looks like just a generic "fitness for women" mag. Aren't there enough of those around already (Shape, Fitness, Fit--which all have their place, but I didn't subscribe to M&FH in order to get the same thing I can get in these others). I received my renewal payment notice right after the change, and instead of sending a check, I sent a note asking them to cancel my subscription and charge me for any issues I've received on it. They obviously didn't get the message yet, as I received the latest issue.

Where'd all the good stuff go?

And who are these "readers" who wanted the changes? If they didn't like it the way it was, why not just buy Fitness, Fit and Shape and leave M&FH to those who like(d) it?

:D I used to LOVE M&F Hers, but now it seems the articles are fewer and there are more ads! My favorite magazine now is Fitness RX. You can not buy a better fitness magazine with soo much information (thick magazine) and few ads!

I recently picked up the latest issue and was a little stunned at first about the cover. But I thought - maybe they're trying a new look. I did and didn't like the old cover look - for instance, once when the model and the background cover were both a bright golden yellow! Very bright! A little too bright depending on the lighting! :)

I guess I'll have to treasure all the old (real) issues and do like evryone else just read them in the stores. Actually I'll go to my local Borders and sit in the cafe, so I can linger a little longer than I can in the checkout lanes! :)

So what's left to read? I don't really care for Energy, Fitness RX is okay, Oxygen is okay. I may have to find one of the men's magazines to subscribe to. :(

Have a great weekend everyone! Today is my Friday! :) Woo Hoo!

I think we need to write to the editors of the magazine. They may not publish our letters, but if they get a large amount of letters saying how disappointed people are, that should have an effect.

I can live with ads if the rest of the content is good, but the new M & F Hers seems like it's not even geared to the woman who lifts weights anymore. I wonder when they'll drop the M & F, and it'll just be called Hers.

You know, I recently subscribed to Runner's World, and although all of you aren't runners, the information in there is still valuable and pertinent to anybody who is active... for now, at least, right? :D

I really like that magazine, as I love running, and some of the articles are so inspiring. Try reading about an 70-somethin year old woman who runs ultra-marathons (100+miles) several times a year and coaches high school cross country AND skip your workout for the day. It's not possible.

Aside from that, I'm sticking to my science-oriented magazines - Discover, Scientific American, National Geographic... much more fulfilling than the fitness magazines have become lately.

Sara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.