One month into LIS: Functional improvements

Bobbi-B

Cathlete
I've been doing a LIS rotation for a month (mostly like Cathe's LIS Nov. rotation, but modified to fit my schedule) and the most dramatic change I notice is that my functional fitness has improved noticeably, more so than at any other time in my life. I've been fit and working out regularly for years, but LIS focuses on so many compound and core-intensive exercises -- there are even squat thrusts and push-ups in Low Impact Challenge, which I think of as "all step" -- and it is translating into feeling stronger in my everyday life. For example, I've been switching out the 5-gallon water bottles on my office water cooler for years, and it's never been easier than it was yesterday. And vacuuming can make my back tired, but it doesn't anymore. All that slide-and-glide plank work really pays off!

I also notice that my recovery time is faster between workouts, probably because it's just my muscles that are recovering, not joints/connective tissue. Low Impact for the win!

Thanks so much for this series, Cathe. I was one of the voices a couple years ago requesting more Low-Impact workouts, and LIS exceeds my expectations many times over. Thank you!

I am like you where I also feel tasks getting easier in my daily life (lifting more grocery bags from my car to my apartment, my 2 1/2yr old daughter feels lighter when I pick her up, ect.)

Also, those plank exercises really force your core, upper and lower body to WORK THEM HARD. I love the sliding discs for that, very innovative and effective.

My body is also responding well to LIS. What a wonderful change from high impact workouts that were starting to hurt my knee's, feet and back. Although I'm new to Cathe, she quickly converted me to one of her hardcore fans. All those other "trainers" just don't do it for me anymore.

Have you been only doing LIS or incorporating some high impact stuff too? I like Cathe's Dec hi/low rotation that uses both. If my knee's permit, I am going to try it :eek:

Mini-natty, I've only been doing LIS this past month. My joints are really appreciating the break!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.