One hour of step aerobics is equivalent to.....?

Katerchen

Cathlete
I was wondering how one hour of Cathe's step aerobic tapes compares to running (intensity/calories burnt/distance). Does anyone have any ideas about it?

I appreciate your input.
Tanja

Hi, I'm going to relay a little info that I just picked up in my new Muscle & Fitness Hers.
One hour of aerobics (not intensity drills i.e. plyometrics or circuit training with weights) burns 426 calories if you weigh 150lbs...398 if 140 lbs...355 if 125 lbs and so on.
Running depends on weight and how fast you run...i.e. if you run 5.5 mph and weigh 150 lbs you burn 740 calories/hr. 150 lbs at 7 mph you burn 920 calories.
The chart breaks down a myriad of activities into calories burned per hour determined by your weight. It's the April/May 2001 issue, if you're interested.
Personally, I find that unless I am doing intensity drills, plyometrics, kickboxing or something more apt to give me cardiac arrest, that plain old aerobics just don't cut it for me. I found that when I added running (and I'm slow, about 6.5 to 7 mph, I found it easier to lose the pounds. I also find x-c skiing very good (and enjoyable!).
Amy

AMY-

Give yourself some credit-- if you are running at 7 mph--which I think equates to approx 9 minute miles if my math is close--you meet the standards for any police academy in the USA on the run section. No kidding. That's a really good pace! Especially if you keep it up for 20 minutes or more. :)

RE: AMY-

Kristina,
Thanks for the encouragement! I always thought I was slow...but I always comforted myself with the fact that I can run far. Now, I don't feel so bad! Thanks! But, I think I'm way to old for the police academy!
Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.