OMG!!! This is PATHETIC...

L Sass

Cathlete
Have you all seen this?
http://www.walkofnoshame.com/

My SIL was over today and told us about this commercial that is airing urging kids to NOT be ashamed when they are out all night, partying, drinking, sexing it up, waking in a strange place the next a.m. No, don't be ashamed of these actions -- just drink AMP ENERGY DRINK and let the binging start all over -- with no shame of course. Then it even invites people (appears to be aimed primarily at school age or college kids)to post their most outrageous stories of "no shame" on Facebook.

Then she told me this is a PEPSI product. SIL is urging a boycott of Pepsi products till this unbelievable approach is pulled. Sorry folks, that also means thinks like Quaker Oats! Check it out. I find it rather disgusting myself.

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

And people wonder way moral values in America are down. Yes its a Pepsi product. I eat Walmart brand oats no problem to me. Don't drink Pepsi either.

Farrah

Ok, this may just be my age talking, but I think that commercial was hysterical! Don't get me wrong--I'm not condoning those actions, but I have to admit--I think that was brilliant marketing.

I had to chuckle at the girl who sang about "still being in her crappy bridesmaid dress". :D

I completely understand where you are coming from though, Lorrie and Farrah. It *is* a rather pathetic and disgusting commercial and I don't agree with the way they're promoting the product. But I'm not gonna lie when I say it made me laugh. :)

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Actually, I thought it was funny too. I got the impression that it's making light fun of the countless people who suffer the "morning after" effect. It certainly didn't make the previous night's behavior appealing. :7 I never was a party girl and still marvel when I see people at any age drinking too much and doing things they'll regret 24 hours later.

In general, it would be nice to see mainstream marketing put more emphasis on dignity and class as opposed to sex and controversy. Like the insurance company who's commercial shows a woman doing something nice for someone, and that one action snowballing, setting off a chain reaction of good behavior involving many people. That's cool.

I thought it was pretty funny...definitely an ad for the Spike TV/Comedy Central crowd...kinda like the AXE commercials.

I didn't see anywhere that it was even remotely gearing itself towards kids.

>I thought it was pretty funny...definitely an ad for the
>Spike TV/Comedy Central crowd...kinda like the AXE
>commercials.

Oh I can definetely see it on those channels! It's totally a commercial that someone like Jimmy Kimmel or Sarah Silverman would have during their shows!!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Allison - It was almost like one of those spoof commercials wasn't it? Lol, I didn't like the message either, but it did make me laugh too and I didn't really consider anyone in the commercial "kids". Those are some of the oldest kids I've seen in a while if they were. Look more like a commercial aimed at the single adult group. Has this actually aired on tv or is it just something on their website?

Ok, I'll admit, I thought it was funny, too. Very much like a "spoof" commercial. However, I am also a mom, and the mature side of me says its really not showing the best example for young adults. I think the facebook stuff is pushing it over the limit. Thats really too much.

I have to admit that if I didn't have my 2 young boys in the house right now, I'd have thought it was a funny commercial ad too. The guy in the thong??? I nearly spit my water out my nose at him! LOL

Seriously, though, as I was watching it, I kept thinking that they are spoofing someone or something also.

Gayle

To me it looks like something that belongs in a SNL skit, not as a real marketing tool. I too thought it was funny, but definitely won't be buying the product based on this style of marketing. I went to the Amp website and sent them an email stating how I disagreed with this type of marketing.

Jean

Well, maybe this is just me, but it certainly doesn't seem to glorify that kind of behavior. Frankly, it makes it look VERY unappealing, and reminds me of a few awful times in my twenties that are not remembered with fondness. I'm thinking that the commercial is saying that if this drink can help these poor folks, imagine what it can do for you when maybe you stayed up an hour or two too late watching TV or something. I doesn't seem to me to glamourize unhealthy behavior.

I actually don't think that the commercial was making a point of anything or demoralizing American values. Its just a funny commercial. Nothing more, nothing less. Personally, I loved it:p :+

I have to agree with Lorrie, I find it pathetic and just the excuse kids need to believe that this behavior is not only acceptable but normal. It's saying that AMP relates to how they feel and will be there to help get them through the morning after. Tag it with the 'no shame' and share your stories is telling them to be proud of it, let everyone know. It then becomes a game of who can be the most outrageous.

And to think... these are the kids that will be running our country someday.....

Cast my vote in the "disgusting" column. Just one more step away from any type of morality in America. So sad that so many people find this type of behavior acceptable. I'll be emailing Amp as well.

Pure gold! What a great commercial!

It may not address the moral message that some folks would prefer to send, however, it does address reality, IMO.
Looks to me like the target audience is college age to mid-twenties, and I think it nails that demographic quite well.

I'm not suggesting that everyone in that demographic engages in one night stands, but many do, and many think it's funny nonetheless. I've never had one myself, but I find this hysterical!

And I guess one of the first times it aired was during the "So you think you can dance" show. I've never seen the show, but SIL says that's a pretty family oriented show and time slot. Maybe some of you know that better than I do. She said when they saw this spot,her 14 y.o. DD said some fellow students knew all about it and couldn't wait to post their middle school and high school oral sex escapades on this facebook page -- who could "do more guys" and not get caught. I guess the intended message IS successful in that case. We'll just steer clear of it I think.

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

OMG, I think that is a BRILLIANT piece of marketing! I had no idea what the heck Amp was, but I won't forget it now. That gave me quite a laugh.

I have to agree with the above poster that it simply addresses reality. It's what takes place, and it definitely highlights the fact that when somebody does something like that, they face it the next day feeling like an idiot. I think the whole thing was very "tongue in cheek."

Jen

LOVED IT!!! They got their demographic right for sure. Took me back to some crazy days of ohhh...25 year ago. Remembering those 'wired-and-tired,-grinning-like-a-fool' mornings brings on that secret smile that my kids ask about but will never know the answer to. By no means do I think that commercial should be shown during a family show. I do, however; think it's clever and age appropriate for the target consumer of that particular product.

Uh-oh...I've got that grin on my face again}( ;-) :+

Take Care
Laurie:)

Lorrie-it's funny that you should post WHEN that ad was aired, because I was going to ask that question. I have to agree with you on that situation...timing IS everything.

Gayle

She said
>when they saw this spot,her 14 y.o. DD said some fellow
>students knew all about it and couldn't wait to post their
>middle school and high school oral sex escapades on this
>facebook page -- who could "do more guys" and not get caught.
>I guess the intended message IS successful in that case.

Honestly, how can a commercial influence this type of behavior? I say poor parenting is the culprit. I have two grown children, and I can't think of ANY commercial having more of an influence on their moral values than me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.