O/T: makeup question

skoobie

Cathlete
hi everyone! after two years of graduate school, i am returning to the working world and am looking for new makeup. i'm very low maintenance and would like suggestions on a powder or liquid-to-powder foundation that is pretty light & natural looking. basically i don't want to do foundation plus powder for two reasons: 1) it obviously makes me look more "made up," which i don't want... and 2) why do two steps when i can only do one? i do, however, want a little more coverage than powder alone.
thanks for any recommendations. :) i'm willing to spend the $$ for the right product, but i don't mind buying it at target either.

Here's another link that I've been told about. Haven't tried the products... looks like I'm between shades, but if they come up with more options, I'm in.:)

http://www.illuminarecosmetics.com/

Oh, you might also want to try http://www.cosmeticscop.com. The products are more reasonably priced and they feel wonderful. I use the foundation for oily skin and it's really light despite the spf. I can't use their powders though. Again, I'm between shades. L'oreal has very light and fine loose powders. Affordable, too. I mix my own color using their light and medium shades. Amazing how years of art lessons can be moved from the sketch pad to one's own face.:)

Happy shopping!

Pinky

I really like Bobbi Brown. Her whole philosophy is based on a natural look. It's usually only in upscale department stores though like Nordstroms. You can look on the Bobbi Brown website (i think it's just bobbibrown.com) to see if there's anyone near you.

Hi there,

I've been using Mary Kay products for a while. They have a loose powder that's quite light. I use it with a concealer (to cover some dark circles under my eyes) and it looks very natural.

Pinky gave you a good source with Paula's cosmeticcop site. Bobbi Brown is wonderful too and you can find a match by going to a store as opposed to mail order. I've never tried BE but have heard good things about it, and another is Jane Iredale. Good stuff.

Now if you'd like to go crazy and look at ALL natural mineral makeup, look up on the web the following:

Geografx (love her stuff)
Monave (good stuff)
Botany 101 (probably the BEST mineral makeup but extremely slow so I hesitate to recommend - you've been warned :) )

For all natural skincare:
Botanical Skin Works (wonderful)
Evan's Garden (ditto)
and the three sites mentioned above.

Alexis

I second the Bare Escentuals. I had a hard time getting used to using a powder foundation, but I absolutely love it now! QVC has a fantastic selection of products and the customer service is great.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I will be busily researching and shopping online for the next hour or so... ;-)

I really like stila's tinted moisturizer. I use her concealer with a concealer brush to apply it-beautiful/natural coverage. Then i apply powder to set it. it looks like my skin and evens out the tone. Great stamina too. I would only have to take a compact with me for touch-ups.

Check out her stuff at gloss.com

I also have very sensitive- light skin. I have always had a difficult time finding a foundation that works for me. Have fun shopping. Looks like you are on your way to finding something good!

Danna

I'm a little late here but I have to push Origins Nude and Improved foundation. It's more like a tinted moisterizer, I love it. It doesn't look cakey at all, it evens out your skin tone, and it has spf 15. I'm generally a big fan of Origins products, they also have a under eye serum called, "A perfect world for eyes" that de-puffs and moisterizes. These two products were around $18 which isn't too bad considering they go a long way, I've had the eye serum for almost a year and I use it twice a day.

Go to a department store and try some on to see what works for you. Also, my local drug store will return any cosmetic product if you try it and don't like it, you might want to check that out. I also like L'Oreal products which are made by Lancome and are relatively inexpensive.

I third Bare Escentuals! It is exactly what you describe wanting and needing. I am the same way in that I hate makeup. Most days it is moisture cream with sunscreen. Days that I feel like more I use BE. When I really dress up I have a small amount of MAC that makes me feel great. I still feel like BE is my staple though, and highly recommend it:)

Angela,

I ordered Bare Minerals last week from QVC and am dying to get it!!! I'm glad to hear that you and do many others like the product. As for the original question, I worked in cosmetics but never found a liquid to powder that I really liked. MAC Studiofix is cakey, Prescriptives Photocrome isn't the greatest quality, and there are so many others that just didn't do it for me. The next best thing is concealer where you need it plus powder. My favorite is Laura Mercier Loose Translucent- great texture, teeny bit of coverage. We'll see if Bare Minerals gives that some competition lol...

Gina

One more place I'd like to recommend is www.reflect.com

They custom make your makeup and skin care products. I LOVE the foundation too. I heard about this place from a friend and her aesthetician recommended it to her. :)

I have tried all sorts but mostly used department store foundation. Recently tried Neutrogena Visibly Even and love it. L'oreal also has a nice new one - True Match I think. Both looked very natural on me and I have sortof combination skin but not too bad of an oily T.

I second L'oreal True Match. They have a 3 lineups: warm, neutral, and cool, each has #1 through 5. That makes it easy to find the closest to your own. And, the price is right!

You have to try Philosophy's product the Present. It is a clear foundation that beats anything, it makes your skin look flawless and air brushed, natural and all. I love it! You can wear makeup over it but you won't need to. It smooths the skin, paves down bumps, imperfections, wrinkles and all. YOu can get it at QVC under beauty and the company Philosophy. Cookie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.