Nutritionist?

RBurke

I have a few questions regarding nutrition. I will try to be brief. I took the advice of some of you and found a nutritionist (RD) in my area from a referral of someone I know. I met with him. He put me on a diet that is 1200 calories of which 42g are protein, 90g are carbs, and the rest is supposed to be fruit or veggies. I was a fairly healthy eater before and I only want to loose 5-10 pounds. I have a small frame also. The trouble is that my cholesterol is high(family history) in spite my young age (late twenties) and all the exercise I can stand. I have been on his diet for 9 days. I have never been so hungry for an extended period of time. He told me to add protein if I get hungry. I am so sick of peanut butter and eggs. I am also afraid that eating all the extra fat (cheese, peanut butter, eggs) will raise my cholesterol. I am supposed to meet with him next week. I am very frustrated as I am so hungry and I haven't lost a pound. Does this seem like a reasonable diet? Should I consider finding another dietician? I am also having a hard time staying under 90 carbs. I have switched to unsweet tea and such but any snacks I have must have carbs (milk, yogurt, crackers, even fruit). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want a proper diet I just don't know what I am doing wrong.
Thanks.

Sounds like

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-00 AT 11:46AM (EST)</font></center>

he's a big believer in the low-carb plan. I tried that too and was hungry all the time! They say protein a saiting(sp) but man it was awful for me! I'm in the same boat you are, small frame, need to lose 4lbs. Oh, and guess what? I didn't lose anything either! Now, I'm not saying these diets are bad or the nutritionist is bad. I think that different people respond to different kinds of eating plans.I'll let you know when I find the one for me Maybe, he could experiment with a new eating plan for you, until the right one is found. Good Luck! Keep me posted on what happens! If it works for you maybe it will work for me too!

Try another diet plan

I am a nutritionist(RD) and I'm a big proponent of finding a diet that will work for YOU! I generally think that 1200 calories is too restrictive a calorie level especially if you are exercising. Plus, 90g carbs per day is probably not enough to fuel your body for exercise and also replace your glycogen reserves(sugar stored in your muscles). So, no wonder you are hungry!

I don't want to double guess the nutritionist's reasoning for putting you on a low carbohydrate and low calorie diet.But, any nutritionist should be willing to work with you to come up with a plan that works for you and that you can live with.

Plus, I just want to add that if you are eating enough extra calories as peanut butter,eggs, and cheese,etc.,then maybe you are eating more than 1200 calories. (And, yes you should be concerned about consuming extra fat, but a few weeks will probably not make a big difference in your cholesterol level). 9 days is really not long enough to see a significant change in weight. The closer you are to your ideal weight, the slower the weight comes off.

Last of all, if you were a "healthy eater" before this diet, why not consider following a calorie level for maintenance and burn off extra calories through increased activity? You'll probably be happier when you're not depriving yourself
happy.gif
!

Yas

Nutritionist

Thanks for the advice. I tried everything before going to the nutritionist. I have been trying for almost a year to get this weight off. I seem to get frustrated with almost everything I try and end up eating like a hog. The 1200 calories doesn't seem like enough to me. I visited a friend today that is a big proponent of health food. She recommended some things to me as alternatives to peanut butter, eggs and cheese. She gave me some recipes and I am going to give them a shot. I am very frustrated but don't want my health to suffer because I am depriving myself. Hopefully, this guy will work with me and we can find something that is tolerable. Thanks for the info.

One good protein source and...

Just wanted to say ditto on Yas reply to you.

I also think, if you are hungry all the time...you are setting yourself up for failure. You should be able to find yourself a healthy diet that fuels you properly, keeps you satisfied and one that you know, realistically, can maintain and live with for the rest of your life.

Also, if you aren't comfortable with a health care provider...of any kind...find one that does makes you comfortable, it will make a huge difference in your own commitment to your health goals.

Oh...and that protein source...edememes (sp?)..they are soybeans out of the shell. The resemble a small lima bean and taste like peas
happy.gif
..fresh husked ones! I eat them for snacks or with meals. One other tip..I found I have more success with my eating when I dropped the idea of the stereotypical meals for morning, noon and night..just because it's breakfast time..doesn't mean I have to eat eggs or cereal..sometimes a baked sweet potato does the trick..even those soybeans too
wink.gif

If you aren't familar with the soybeans..I get them at health food grocery stores in the frozen food section
happy.gif

nancy:O)

question

I am in the same boat, I have 5-10 lb to lose and can't seem to get rid of it although I have been eating right (mostly!
happy.gif
) for 3 months and exercising for a long time. I lost 2 pounds in the first 6 weeks when I started food journalling and "dieting" (I prefer to call it my "nutrition thing", rather than a diet!) but haven't lost any since.

I guess I am wondering on my behalf as well as yours, how important is that last 5 or 10 lb? If we are trying hard, doing everything right, and are so close to our goal weight anyway, maybe WHERE WE ARE IS JUST FINE?????? All my weight has settled in my torso and abdomen (probably that hormonal, peri-menopausal weight gain thing) and I HATE it, but I really am just as healthy as can be. . . I'm wondering if a little self-acceptance might go a long way. . . Gosh I just don't want to spend my life working out and dieting and working out and dieting trying to look like somebody else when I look the way *I* am supposed to look. I want to work out because it makes me feel great and is fun. I want to eat right because it makes me feel better and real food is really satisfying. I want to eat to appetite and not be starving OR bingeing all the time. And if I reach that healthy place, and I still have this 5 to 10 lb on, what's the crisis?

I don't know why it is so hard for us to be satisfied when we are at what is probably a fairly healthy weight.

SO, after all that philosophizing (sorry!!
happy.gif
), I agree that 1200 calories is probably way too restrictive. Invite your dietician over to watch you do BodyMax --he or she will probably up your daily caloric allowance to about 2000!!! hehe. You might want to invest in Jane Brody's Nutrition Book and Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition (is that the title??) and see what info you can find to tailor to your own needs. . . Both are great books! Good luck. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and if you find any success along the way, PLEASE post about it!!! Because despite my "philosophizing" and my DESIRE to have an "I'm OK, you're OK" mindset, I STILL WANT TO LOSE MY LAST FEW TOO!!
happy.gif

1200 is way too low IMHO

Maybe if a person is sedentary and has 100 lbs. to lose, then 1200 calories might be in order. However, for an active exerciser, 1200 seems way to low to me and may cause your body to hold on to every last lb. of fat because it thinks a famine has hit. Now, I am not a nutritionist but this is the advice I have seen in every fitness mag I have ever read. They even say 1500 is too low for very active people and that the range of 1700 - 1900 is more acceptable.

Just my .02.

Kim

Hunger isn't good...

You shouldn't feel hungry. That will set you up for failure. 1200 calories is really on the low end. Large amounts of protein are hard on the liver and kidneys and fat's bad for the heart! I'd lose that nutritionist fast. Carbs are necessary for your body to utilize water and, as a result, nutrients. I myself am not a proponent of low carb diets, but I recently checked out the body for life website which looks like a reasonaly healthy way to use low carbs. Be careful! It isn't worth it to compromise your health to drop pounds and no one should have to be hungry all the time! You might try adding whole grains--beans, lentils. They have more substance, are filling. Good luck!

nutrition

I am glad to have gotten some good advice regarding the low-carb, high protein plan. I have temporarily gone off all dieting. I would really like to just improve my body rather than "lose weight". I just don't know how to loose body fat without loosing weight. I work out about 5 days a week doing Cathe tapes, running and taebo. I also do strength training. I am just not sure how to convert the fat into muscle. My body fat measured at 21.5. Is this bad? I would like to be more lean. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also talked with a friend that is really into organic and health food. She gave me some pointers on low fat, high protein snacks. She also told me how to make some interesting smoothies with soy. I am amazed at how good some soy products taste. I am thinking of cancelling my next appointment with this nutritionist and just trying stuff on my own. I read all the health magazines. I know most of the basics. I just hate hunger. I am not good at starving! It is also encouraging that Cathe says that she doesn't count calories and eats "sinful snacks" in moderation. I would still like any suggestions on toning up my abs (I do crunches until I can't stand it and I am sure I am do them correctly) and the area above my knees. It is being very stubborn! Any advice would be appreciated.

Last night I ate pizza!

One day per week, I eat exactly what I want--within reason. Besides the pizza, I had a small piece of dark chocolate. This way I don't feel deprived. I think you're very smart to lay off. For a while I felt like my eating was out of control. I ate and ate. Good, healthy food, not junk. But because it was too much, I started to gain weight. I think this is a hormaonal thing and, for some of us, those hormonal patterns keep a little extra fat on us. I don't know what my percentages are fatwise and I LOOK lean because I am 5', 7" and weigh in at 127. My arms and legs are long and sticklike but I have a huge gut! I put my fat on right in the stomach and a little on the hips and so, by contrast, it seems huge. I swear it's six pounds of fat sitting right there, looking ugly! In my family (I have 9 sisters) most of us are built like this. I know this is how Mother Nature intended it for us. She's such a bag sometimes! I do intend to lose some weight but I really don't diet. No one should have to. If you are active and eat a balanced diet, your body should find the right weight and settle in there. I wouldn't give up on nutritrionist either. I have been tempted to consult one myself because although I know I would like to eat 25% fat, 20% protien and 55% carbs actually translating that into my diet--especially protein always proves hard. Keep up with all that exercise and eat sensibly and you'll do great!

Got to love the smoothies!

Are you sure we aren't related? My fat settles in my stomach too! Just alittle on the hip and and just a little in the upper arm area. I've gotten so many different body fat readings I could just puke at the confusion! I have a bodyfat scale, that says I'm 20%. However, I've had another reading that said 15%. To answer your question, NO, 21% isn't bad. According to most, 18-22% is desireable, so you're in the range. I go by my scale since I can get on it most often. Did you know that it says you should do bodyfat testing in the evening for the most stable results? In the morning I'm at 20% in the evening it usually says 17-18%. I go by the 20% because I'm afraid I'll get cocky and eat too much if I'm just in the teens. When that scale gets in the teens in the a.m. then I'll be happy
wink.gif
! Good Luck! Hope this helps!

1200 cals is not enough

If you are working out consistantly and at a fairly high intensity, 1200 calories is not enough! I am studying to become an RD, and according to what I've been learning you should be eating more if you're an active person. It's hard to tell exactly how much you should be eating without knowing your height, weight and activity level. This low calorie intake is probably the reason that you have not lost any weight. Your body will think it's starving and hang on to everything it can! He is right that you should add some protein to meals and snacks to keep you full longer though. That helps me a lot of times. The bottom line is, eat if you're really hungry, just do so in moderation! If I were you, I might find another RD to work with you, or at least question your current one's low calorie plan. Good luck!

nutritionist

I went back to him yesterday. I told him that I had gone off my diet and that I could not do 1200 calories. I told him that I had added some soy products instead of cheese and peanut butter and he said that was fine. He upped my calories to 1400 and added more protein and 2 more starches. So I am now allowed 6 starches and 9 proteins along with 3 fruit servings and all the veggies I want. I am so confused because he put me on a plan now that involves some breathing techniques. He said it makes your body simulate the "flight or fight" response and raises the heart rate. It is supposed to raise metabolism. He said that it sounds like I am at a set weight and it isn't budging with diet and exercise. So, I agreed to do this breathing thing for 4 weeks. It sounds like a joke to me. I am so frustrated! If I eat, I am fat. If I don't eat, I am fat. I am 5'4" and weigh 128. I have gained even more weight since trying to diet. I weighed 123 about 2 months ago. I think some of the weight gain must be muscle but I can see a layer of fat over my belly and legs. If you could offer some adive, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

How about a nutritionist that factors exercise into

the picture? Your height and weight indicate that you do not have much to lose and I think that even 1400 is still way too low. (maybe if you had 50 lbs. to lose but even then...) And, I think the breathing thing is reaching a little far too.

This is just my .02 cents.

Kim

I agree with Kim

I have been closely watching my diet since I returned home from vacation. I stay at around 1600 or 1700 calories because I exercise daily burning 400 to 500 calories and I need to refuel. Besides, being hungry is awful and I tend to obsess about food when I restrict. Your nutritionist sounds a little kooky! I've never heard of breathing inducing a flight or fight response which is an adrealine response to danger and necessary for survival. I know it's a jungle out there but....:) I think you have more wisdom about this than you realize. Listen to your body and give yourself time--a pound a week is slow going but it's the safe way to do it. And do make sure you take in enough fuel to keep your metaboism from slowing down! Hang in there!
Bobbi

So what do I do?

I have been trying for about a year to get this weight off. I've tried dieting and not dieting. I've upped my exercising a lot. I lift weights, eat more protein, eat low fat. I eat 3 meals with 2 snacks. I usually eat very healthy. I splerge occasionally. I haven't lost a pound in all my effort. I've only gained. I know some is muscle but I really hate the layer of fat covering it. The breathing thing is called oxycise. I personally think it is crap. I just don't know what to do.

Weight loss

I found Denise Austin's book titled Lose Those Last Ten Pounds on the shelf in hard cover at Target and I bought it after thumbing throught it. In it she has and exercise plan, which I pretty much ignore, sticking to my own "Cathe-FIRM-Kickbox" routine. But, the food plan is pretty well thought out, it has a 1500 calorie eating plan laid out for you for four weeks. Because I am heavy on exercise I am adding an additional 200 calories and extra protein on weight training days. I personally am nauseated by Denise when I watch her tapes, but she's not so bad on paper. (Maybe a few too many exclamation points, though.) It's nice for me to have all my meals planned out and she DID consult with a nutritionist on the meal plan. Check it out.

just my 2cents

This "fight or flight" breathing thing sounds a little bizarre to me. Even if it does up your metabolism, if it does simulate the "fight or flight" response, it would be pumping adrenaline into your system, something that doesn't sound very healthy to me ("fight or flight" is an instinctual response to danger, and as such has it's place, but it's not something your body should be doing on a regular basis.)

Weight Training

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-00 AT 10:10AM (EST)</font></center>

I know you mentioned that you upped your exercise but have you been lifting heavy enough to induce muscle growth? The PS series will definitely help you there. If you consistently do resistance training and cardio as well at eat healthfully, you will see results. But, if you starve your body, it will go into "famine" mode and hold on to every last bit of fat you have in an effort of "survival". And, I think that even 1400 calories for an exerciser is going to induce the "famine" mode. Aim for at least 1800 calories a day and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised in a few months as well as not hungry all the time.

My advice would be to eat until you are satisfied (not overstuffed) with the healthy foods, do cardio at least 3 or 4 times a week and weight train with the PS series 3 times a week (go heavy so that the last few reps are difficult if not close to impossible). Do not go more than 3 or 4 hours without at least a healthy snack between meals. Remember to rest at least once a week too.

You will see results eventually especially with the weight training. Just be patient and do not starve yourself. Remember, muscle mass increases your metabolism and helps burn more calories all throughout the day. A muscular person will burn way more calories even watching tv than will a person with less muscle and more body fat.

I hope this advice helps. I also don't think it would hurt to see a SPORTS oriented nutritionist or perhaps even a personal trainer (although I know that is not in my budget).

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.