Number of Risers

healing11

Cathlete
Does anyone know if the number of risers used during weight training makes a difference? I've noticed in some of Cathe's dvds she uses 5 risers and in this upcoming series she appears to be using 3 during weight training. I've always wondered if it makes a difference.

I think it might depend on where you put your feet. Do you leave them on the floor or lift them on the end of the step? No matter what the height, I always keep my feet up because then I never arch my back. I know that's a big no no. So for lying down, I would say do what fits you best. Now for some of the standing stuff like one arm rows, I prefere 3 risers. I never do them kneeling on the step like Cathe has been doing because of my back. So I usually put one foot on. So once again, I think it's what most comfortable for you to keep proper form.

I have started only using 3 on each side, like in the new series and like firemedic, I always put my feet up on the bench to keep my back from
arching. It's just better (for me) as well. I have not used my slanted risers for a long time when putting in the incline position, I just remove
a riser like in the new series. Using the slanted risers became a hassle for me. Whatever feels right to you, is the way to do them I think....

I think it might depend on where you put your feet. Do you leave them on the floor or lift them on the end of the step? No matter what the height, I always keep my feet up because then I never arch my back. I know that's a big no no. So for lying down, I would say do what fits you best. Now for some of the standing stuff like one arm rows, I prefere 3 risers. I never do them kneeling on the step like Cathe has been doing because of my back. So I usually put one foot on. So once again, I think it's what most comfortable for you to keep proper form.

I put my feet on the step to avoid the lower back arch. i will definitely start experimenting. I've always assumed that a higher step was better for my back.

I'm a feet on the ground kind of girl. Not sure there's enough room on my step for my whole length and my feet!

I use 4 risers each side always. It is beneficial when doing lying overhead extensions for back because with less risers than this, my dumbbell touches the ground. However, to feel comfortable placing a hand on the step for one armed rows, I'd need far more than 4 risers, so I ofetn have 1 leg on the bench, knee bent, and hand on thigh ....
Do whatever works fr you that is comfortable and leads to good form.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.