No more heavy leg work for me....duh!

Govtgirl

Cathlete
I finally have learned my lesson, and am going back to what worked for me in the past to lean out and lose weight. Full-body, circuit weight workouts 4 times a week, lots of legwork, but no more squats with 60 pounds, or even 40 pounds for that matter. I'm going to concentrate on the Cathe videos that fit that bill.

Years ago I got in shape with the FIRM, and the heaviest I went on leg presses was 10 pound dumbbells (20# total). I would even do this 2 or 3 days in a row, but it worked like a charm, I dropped weight and could see all sorts of different muscles, especially in my legs! Later I got out of the habit of working out (new job, moved, etc) , and went I went back I kept thinking, "I need to go heavy, muscle is muscle, train heavy like a guy."

Nope.

It just made my joints hurt, and my weight stayed where it was. I have a reunion that I'm going to in 6 weeks, and my goal is to lose 8-10 pounds by then doing Cathe circuits, some FIRM (!!), and uphill walking on the treadmill. The only heavy work I'll do is upper body at the gym. Most of my leg work will be 8# dumbbells (16 total) or using my own bodyweight. Probably 2 days in a row of circuit, then one cardio day. I know they say not to do weights 2 days in a row, but it worked great for me before, probably because I wasn't going to complete muscle failure. I figure it must be like people that have physical jobs, construction, dock worker, etc. They lift weights everyday (picking up heavy boxes, swinging hammers, etc) and they don't fall apart.

If anybody is interested I'll post my progress, but I'm really excited about this, and mad that it took me so long to realize it. For the record, I'm 5'4, 132-134, a vegetarian, and eat 1900-2000 cals a day to maintain that. I plan on eating about 1600-1900, just to give it some oomph, plus I'm on a deadline :) I remember when I got in shape before, I didn't change my eating at all, just started the circuit work, and that did it all. Let's see! :eek:

Last edited:
Good luck, I hope you get the results you are looking for! Yes, I'm interested in your progress, so please keep us posted.:)

Gov'tGirl

I am very interested in hearing about your progress too. I'm 5'4" and have more than I care to have in the tree trunks.

I was just thinking that I might need to do a two full body and two leg workouts and two upper body rotations a week. I have loved STS, but I seem to have better results working the legs more frequently.

Deadlines are a great motivational tool!

i'm very interested in following your results over the next 6 weeks. I too have gotten better results from more circuit style workouts but i do like to lift heavy. I'm waiting for my insanity workouts to be delivered and may through in some cathe circuits into the mix.

I think you'll be very happy with your results! Laura Dayton's Lower Body Solution promotes leg work 6 times a week. It makes sense...to get dancer legs, work them every day! Good luck! Please do keep us posted! :D

yes I am definitely interested. I too would do the Firm leg presses 2 days in a row--usually never going heavier than 2 ten lb. dumbbells. I enjoy circuit workouts and have been missing doing them. I finished STS and now I am doing CLX and the days I like the best are the ones with the interval training. I just ordered Jillian Michaels NMTZ and BFBM. Anyone else have an opinion on the Laura Dayton book? My library doesn't have it and I was curious. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing. I just might join you.

Hi Govtgirl.....this definitely sounds interesting and I would like to try your rotation, when you decide on which workouts your going to do, please post it so I can try to follow along, I need to lean out for a trip to Mexico.:D

Yeah, I'm really excited about this! I am terrible about planning specific DVDs in advance, and I didn't do that years ago when I did this type of workout. I just reached for the video that I felt like doing that day.

I have already made up a big 2-month calendar that I have posted in my workout room, I put my beginning weight and the target reunion date weight. Every Sunday and Wednesday I'll weigh myself, and will keep track of the workouts daily.

I have never ever ever posted progress reports before, but this may be something that could give me some accountability! :D I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens.

Hi! I just wanted to chime in and say that I do Cathe "homemade" circuit workouts 6 days a week with legs included in all of them. I must say that my physique has definately changed--much more defined and muscular. Especially my arms and legs. Here is the routine that I have been following and it really seems to work---just remember to eat clean.

--> oh, and I don't really ever lift legs heavy; they get more defined with light
weights and plyo moves

mon: circuit total body--heavy upper body/llower body
tues: circuit total body--light upper body (ie resistance bands)/lower body
wed: lower body--plyometrics w/ light-moderate weight
thurs: reapeat mon
fri: rear tues
sat: repeat wed

I also perform interval training daily on my elliptical or arc trainer. Combining intervals and circuits really help to keep body fat at bay and define the muscles of the legs! Hope this helps :eek:

Hi! I just wanted to chime in and say that I do Cathe "homemade" circuit workouts 6 days a week with legs included in all of them. I must say that my physique has definately changed--much more defined and muscular. Especially my arms and legs. Here is the routine that I have been following and it really seems to work---just remember to eat clean.

--> oh, and I don't really ever lift legs heavy; they get more defined with light
weights and plyo moves

mon: circuit total body--heavy upper body/llower body
tues: circuit total body--light upper body (ie resistance bands)/lower body
wed: lower body--plyometrics w/ light-moderate weight
thurs: reapeat mon
fri: rear tues
sat: repeat wed

I also perform interval training daily on my elliptical or arc trainer. Combining intervals and circuits really help to keep body fat at bay and define the muscles of the legs! Hope this helps :eek:

Which Cathe workouts do you use for this?

I hope you have great results. I wonder if, in addition to being lower wts, that it is the "short intense sprint" nature of circuit workouts that help lose the weight? I found I was more successful when I started doing sprints in my jogs along with the LIC/Drill Max/BM2 cardio premixes (where you have blasts and recovery)
Sorry if this seems stupid and obvious-its late and I haven't been on here in a long time so I'm a little disoriented. ha ha
Jody

Agree - no heavy weights for lower body

I am bottom heavy and after years of experimentation know that for me heavy weights don't work! Body weight exercises do work - Pilates, ballet movements, squats & lunges, etc., and spinning. My lower body is smaller than it's ever been to the point that I'm actually happy with it, except for some cellulite that won't go away no matter what - genetics, I'm sure. Of course, diet helps in a huge way, especially substituting complex carbs for refined carbs.

Be open minded - try everything, even the "back to basics" approach that's worked so well for me.

Yes, do keep us posted on your results! I'll definitely want to hear how it's going. I've posted a lot about how adding JM's circuits to my routine this spring and summer has made a *huge* difference in my body. HUGE. My legs look great too, they are lean and defined, something I just don't get with heavy lifting.

Good luck!

This all sounds very interesting to me. I've never been one to do full body rotations...I really enjoy lifting heavy.(I love that powerful feeling of pushing my limits!!) However, I'm just not getting the results in my lower body that I want. I would like to see some definiton in my legs. I think I'll give this a try to see what happens. This will surely shock my body...I hope!

This might be a dumb question...since you are using light weight or no weight for the lower body, do you still get DOMS? I hope your answer is yes.

If you're looking for some lower body intense full body workouts. Jari Love's newest release fits that bill. Jari talks a lot during the workout but the lower body work is one of the best of all my full body workouts. I think Muscle Endurance has good lower body work too( a lot of leg presses).

I'm definitely interesting in hearing about your progress, too! I'm right there with you - 5'5", 125 pounds, and I think most of that weight is from my belly button down! In fact, I love my upper body (just wish there was more in my chest area:mad:), but if you saw my lower half you'd probably think I don't workout as much as I do.

I saw GREAT results in my legs when doing the STS M1 workouts. I actually could see that my butt was looking higher, but am not having the same results with M2 and am seriously thinking about not even attempting the leg stuff in M3!

Keep us updated!

I am doing something very similar and am seeing more definition and leaning out all over - not much yet, but I am noticing some of the "bulges" are less "bulgy". :p

I have a book on Freestyle training and though I am not following the routine itself to a 't' it is close.

2 FB workouts and 1 circuit per week plus lots of running including HIIT and interval runs. For the FB's I just use light weights or if the workout is heavy for the legs then I'll sub in a lunge routine, no weights & using my stepper top to keep my knees from hurting - but it also allows me to push off better.

Leaner Legs, Drill Max, Butts & Gutts and Legs & Glutes are great LB workouts - more endurance with lighter weight. 20 lbs is about all I would use with a LB workout.

The NMTZ and Plyo legs are also great workouts for this. Kettlebells too. They all have a great cardio effect that helps with the fat burning too !

Will you be posting your results here or on the checkins forum?

How about a Lower Body Blast checkin? Anyone game?

This thread inspired me to pull out all of my Cathe circuits. I just finished High Step Challenge. I think I'm going to add Cathe circuits to my Insanity rotation. I hope I survive.

FWIW, I got super lean following a Freestyle type rotation using Jari Love's Ripped. It would be easy to do with Cathe workouts as well. I alternated full body workouts using heavier upper body with circuit style light weights the following day. I added in interval cardio with some steady state.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.