Nia Shanks

Goblet squats with a kettlebell is great for A2G squats. I sometimes do them after regular squats to emphasize the deep end! I had Doms for 4 days last time I did those!! I did 3 sets of 8 with a 50# bell, and I was freakin sore Had to be depth related cause that isn't that heavy

Speaking of pistols -- I gotta have a bragging moment here for a sec... I did pistols for 6x6 today (or 6x12, if you count left and right as two reps). I was surprised that I could do them all!

Also, Justine, I wonder if working on speed coming up from the bottom of the pushup would work? Just focusing on making the movement explosive? Just a thought.

Speaking of pistols -- I gotta have a bragging moment here for a sec... I did pistols for 6x6 today (or 6x12, if you count left and right as two reps). I was surprised that I could do them all!

Also, Justine, I wonder if working on speed coming up from the bottom of the pushup would work? Just focusing on making the movement explosive? Just a thought.

Good for you. I'm impressed with anybody that can do a pistol. I can't do one, unless I'm standing on a real tall box.

Speed is probably a good idea. When you watch Nia squat, her push off is very explosive. I say, give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (or something like that)

Justine, thanks for the idea to use the beginner bodyweight under 10 workouts for the warm-ups and cool-downs. I did that today. Great idea.

Main part of the workout (LWF2 only today) was Bent Steel (DBs under 30, lots of big movements) followed by Delt Domination (DBs under 20, serious shoulder endurance work, Jill Coleman's contribution). The two workouts went well together.
Now I know why Jill calls her way of training rest-based training -- ha! After one of the pushup combos I stayed on the floor to catch my breath, and my daughter came over and helpfully narrated, 'Mommy sleeping!' Yup, she got it.

That rest-based training is a killer, eh Roz? Have you got others? They're available free http://www.metaboliceffect.com/

I decided to do my de-load squats down to a low bench today. Worked a treat, even though I sat down at the bottom of each rep (!) I felt I was making myself get good and low, and like you said, Roz, I used speed to initiate the movement. OK, so I wasn't lifting very heavy (about 50kg), but it felt good.

Couldn't agree more about Jade and his wife - in fact I didn't realise they were married for quite a while as they just don't seem like a couple. I wish he would stop posting photos of himself sweaty and topless.......

Couldn't agree more about Jade and his wife - in fact I didn't realise they were married for quite a while as they just don't seem like a couple. I wish he would stop posting photos of himself sweaty and topless.......

You got that right, I keep thinking......."What is he thinking?"

Oh, and one more thing from this weekend. In between watching Wimbledon, I discovered I can't do clapping push-ups.

It was a painful discovery.

I bet you can do clapping pushups!! Start by doing them against a wall or counter to get the hang of the power behind the push off. Then take it to a step with 2-4 risers or to your knees and then to the floor in full plank. Once I figured out the power and speed behind the push off and how to "catch" (land) at the bottom I was able to do them.... not very many in a row or very fast but enough to have fun with them. Good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.