new to forum..

Mom25

Hi everyone... I am not new to Cathe, but new to this forum. I just found out I am 5 weeks preggo with #6!! This is a complete shock:eek: to us. We were not trying at all. I was on my way to losing 35pounds, and of course am side tracked now. Figures!! ha ha. Anyway, I am commited to eating right and have been exercising 6 days a week with Sunday's off. I have been consistantly losing 2-3pounds a week. I am wanting to keep with my current fitness and nutrition program, which is basically cardio 6x a week, full body weight 2-3x a week. Nutrition- eating 5-6 small meals with a protien source and a veggie and fruit. I do add some grains in my diet at well, but am trying to stick to lean proties and veggies/fruit. Will this be ok? I have lost my appetite and am forcing myself to eat right now... and I am still losing a bit of weight. Is this ok? I would love to keep losing this fat, as I know it will make for a much easier and healthy birth. Advice?

I am so glad to have this forum for support. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Jennifer

Jennifer, just wanted to welcome you but I don't have any advice as far as nutrition goes. I am not sure about weight loss during pregnancy - sorry! Congrats on baby #6!
Clarissa

Jennifer Congrats and Welcome. Baby #6 wow!!
I am 37 weeks pregnant with baby number 1. Please come join us in the pregnancy check in, we would love to have you! Altho soon i will be on the post partum checkin, if time allows

I dont know how to answer your question either. I know weight loss during pregnancy is highly discrouaged, but if you are having a lot of weight to lose maybe its different . You should check with your doctor and they should help you no problem :) I think your diet so good though, and very healthy. I think as long as you and baby are getting enough nutrients you will be ok. But always double check with your provider. :) Welcome!

Welcome to the boards!

I'm no professional and what I have heard is as what others have said, that weight loss is discouraged. I have also seen many people loose weight while pregnant and be ok. I'm sure your doctor will talk to you about your weight on the weigh ins when you go for check ups and let you know if there is a problem. As long as you are eating so well, you should not be gaining huge amounts of baby weight anyway, as long as you can resist the cravings (I had a hard time with that):eek:

I am not pregnant, but have two kids and just wanted to let you know that I worked out right up to the due date without any problems. The only thing I modified was exercises performed on the back in trimester 2 and 3. I believe it gave me stamina to make it through my long labor and also helped me get right back on the wagon exercise wise one week post partum. I'm not saying that everybody should try to do that, but just saying it worked really well for me.

So if you feel good and motivated, keep right on exercising! It will make for an overall better experience!

Hi Jennifer. Welcome to the forum. I am pregnant with baby number 7, also a surprise. Your plan for workouts and nutrition sound perfect to me. I ate this way with the last two babies. Obviously you'll listen to your body in regards to exercise. I plan on starting the STS on Monday, if I can get all my 1MR's done today. I'd love to check in with you....it would keep me on target!!!! My workouts have been REALLY bad the last few months due to a torn tendon, but I'm ready to hit it hard now!!!! Delivery is SOOOO much easier when you've worked out. I KNOW!! I never worked out with my first 4 and after 4 horribly hard and painful deliveries I began working out. The last two deliveries were a walk in the park compared to the others!! And my weight gain was MUCH less. Congratulations!!

Briee

ummm...Mel....I delivered in a "stock tank" to be exact. It's the one my husband gave to our horses 4 months ago stating "we'll never be using this again".

Never say never. I'd really like to deliver in the Black Sea with dolphins...but unless about $20,000 drops out of the sky...that won't be happening. Any other ideas?????

Briee

Hmmmmm, we have a stabley like building down the hill from our home. That's a thought.

Jennifer, are we giving you ideas about where to deliver??? I'm hoping you actually post back.

(Melanie....I'm still praying for you girl!!)

Briee

LOL..... No, I don't think I will give birth in a horses water tank thingy:p I am amazed when people do something other than the hospital though. In fact I was really considering trying to find a mid-wide and delivering at home... but I am way tooooooooooooooo scared to go without the drugs:rolleyes: I have always had an epidural, but am always so sore afterwards. I kinda feel like it is hard to breathe too, and always wondered if it was the epidural, or maybe the pictocin (did I spell that right???) Anyway, I would love to hear some of your stories, I mean, um, is the pain really, really, unbearable without drugs? I am such a wimp, but then I would love the thought of just being home. But, what if something goes wrong?? hmmmmmmmm

Anyway, thanks everyone for the warm welcome. As far as the weight gain/loss goes, I have decided that I am going to eat healthy and what happens, happens. I really NEED to be healthy and at my best with the delivery of this child! I still cannot believe I am going to have 6 kiddo's... wow... I would have never thought in a million years that I would be so blessed. (and tired;)) ha ha It is so good to see that I am not the only one around here with more than a few kiddo's.

Thanks again,
Jennifer

Jennifer you are so cute, just so you know...I am an INCREDIBLE wimp when it comes to pain. I have zippo tolerance, when I get sick the whole house KNOWS about it. That being said...I have never had pain medication during childbirth with any of the 6 kids I've had. I have punched walls (or nurses who get too close), but no pain meds. AND it's funny how we are all different....in my mind, I can't IMAGINE having a needle stuck into my spinal cord and I've heard the pain afterwards, headaches, etc is really bad and THAT has scared me enough to go natural. There are MANY natural ways to deal with the pain, but water has helped me the most. I think many hospitals will do underwater births and this option is an AWESOME way to deliver a baby. Much easier to deal with contractions!!!! Feels wonderful! (as wonderful as labor can feel!). What you have to remember is, when the pain is so terrible you think you can't handle it anymore, then you are probably ready to push, which is when the pain subsides a bit. I can't imagine missing the feeling of pushing the baby out - it's really cool. Someone told me about stomach breathing and it helped me release the pain MUCH more effectively.

As to location of the birth, I'm a firm believer that babies can be born ANYWHERE. Wherever you are most comfortable is the best place to have a baby. For some that's the hospital, for some it's home. I had 3 hospital births and the last 3 my husband delivered at home, no assistance. I have NO idea what we will do this time. My dh does my prenatal checks, I don't go see a doctor. If I was to have any problems I would - I'm not anti doctor - I just think that pregnancy and birth are completely normal experiences. With the first three - I swear - their opinions on pregnancy, birth and exercise changed every time and they continue to. I kind of get a kick out of reading what the OB's tell women about exercise. I actually had the OB tell me that my abs were very developed with all my situps/exercise and that she thought I could have a very hard delivery because of this - IT WAS THE EASIEST DELIVERY THAT I HAD. I've heard everything. I continue to do my sit ups and cardio coaches (thank you Mel) all while my heart pumps into the 170's and my dh tells me to carry on. If my body tells me otherwise - I'll revise this plan. So I just said WAY too much and better shut up now. Hope a little of it helped. Keep praying and God will lead you and your husband to make the wisest decision for your situation!!

Briee (it occurred to me the other day, if I was to see a doctor at my age - they would tell me I'm "high risk" - I'm 43. I'm sure they wouldn't like me snowboarding every weekend either - but hey maybe that's changed!)

Briee,

Thanks for all the info... I may be bothering you with tons of questions later on!! Do you think that the recovery time is honestly easier if you go natural? I have heard that it is. Oh, and I was considered high risk with #5 at 35... and I got the "talk" about how my baby could be at risk for this and that... yada yada and now I am pushing 37 so I can only imagine how high risk I am now!!!

I am glad to hear that someone else continues to exercise normally while preggo. I do too, it just makes sense to do it if my body says it is ok! I am also a HUGE Cardio Coach fan! I love, love them! I wish he would come out with more.... They push me more than just running to music.

Too bad we don't live close, as I would love to sit and have coffee and talk:D

When are you due?

briee, that is awesome dh delivered 3 of your babies!
we had an unplanned home birth w/ dd3 and it was the most awesome experience of my whole life! dh was in a corner sweating and i delivered her!

mom25, all 3 of my deliveries were natural so i cant compare but ita w/ briee - that epidural freaks me out!!!
congrats on your pg!! how great!

briee, does your dh have any medical background? please dont take this as judging! it just sounds like you & i think the same about pg & delivery!:)

Jennifer, I would love to sit and have coffee!!! I love talking about birth - (okay truth be told, I forgot about it for 5 years, but now I've suddenly been thrown back into it again - PTL). Regarding recovery, I began working out with baby number 5 and when I pushed her out I stood up and told my dh...."I feel so good - like I could go for a run right now". It was so different from my other 4 births - I gained 60 pounds each with the first 4, but only 30 with the last two while working out. I can't tell you how to compare it to a medicated birth because I haven't had one - but I'm sure you'll be able to tell us in a few months right??? You CAN do it!!! We will cheer you on!!

Kate, my husband installs chimneys - but he had previously delivered a pet goat and puppies unassisted - does that count? He has an insane friend that delivered twins at home - unassisted. We both have college degrees from Wheaton, but they never taught important things like childbirth or how to change a tire or how to help teething babies.....etc. Sounds like you had a GREAT birth at home!!! Our family is an extremely untraditional one so sometimes I hesitate sharing, but you caught me on a good day. We left the corporate world years ago to live in the country and have fun with our untraditional kids. We love to think outside the box. Birth is one of those things that can't be boxed - it is always new and exciting.

Now go do those cardio coaches and the STS (modified as it may be)! Melanie...you would be so proud of me - I'm really working out again and this screwy tendon is beginning to heal!!

Briee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.