New To Cathe

gaylac2s

I have been using Firm workouts at home for years. Unfortunately, the videos became stale to the point that I quit working out altogether for about a year. I gained 15 lbs over the last year, and have felt so unhealthy and self-conscience about the weight gain.

I had heard of Cathe, but was afraid to try something different. One Saturday morning I caught a Cathe workout on FitTV, and knew I had found the catalyst to pull me out of the funk I was in. I just bought my first 6 videos, the intesity series. This week has been my first week of working out again, and I am so thrilled with the workouts. They are killing me, and I don't come close to doing a complete video. I get lost in the step videos, but they are so fun and HARD!!! It will be many months before I am fit enough to do an entire video without stopping, but I now have a goal.

Please forgive me for this long post, but it is my first post, and I am excited about exercise again. I can truly say that Cathe has inspired me to start running again, working out every day, and eating better. I just wanted to thank Cathe for being so dedicated to fitness and being an inspiration to me.
Gayla

Hi Gayla.

It's great that you are getting back into exercise! Good for you!

If you want a good dvd that will help you learn step, I would suggest ordering Cathe's basic step and body fusion dvd. It's a great investment for the beginner exerciser or just someone new to Cathe and/or step aerobics like you.

I was not new to exercise by any means when I started with Cathe but I wasn't familiar with step and had never even SEEN a cathe work out before! lol Well, I ordered basic step and body fusion and it was awesome! It really helped me become familiar with Cathe's step style so I catch on to her harder vids (like the intensity series) quicker.

Just my 2 cents! :)

HTH

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for the advice!! I had never done a step workout in my life before so I was laughing at myself trying to do Imax 2. I will definitely try your suggestion. I was much better at doing her Muscle Endurance as that is closer to the workouts I have done in the past by the Firm. However, it is unbelievable how hard she pushes you, and how loud my muscles were screaming with eat set.

Anyway, again, thanks for the 2 cents, and congrats on breaking the smoking habit and good luck with the little one on the way!!

Gayla

Hi Gayla, I too am Cathe's steps, I finally got her new Basic Step/Body Fusion and beginner High Step Circuit. I actually was able to follow these without wondering where i should be next...Try them, If i can do them, trust me, anyone can.
Marsha

Welcome to Cathe, Gayla!!! This will become your newest obsession!! I, too, was bored to tears with the Firm a few years ago and that's when I first discovered Cathe. Isn't she great!!! I am back on the fitness bandwagon, thanks to Cathe and this forum. It is a wonderful resource for all your fitness & health-related questions. And, once you get your step footwork down, you are gonna love these workouts!!!! Good Luck!!!

Hi Gayla and Welcome!

I know exactly how you feel! Before I discovered Cathe I had all but given up on exercising at home. All my videos were collecting dust because I was so bored with them. Trust me, you will never be bored with Cathe!

You will find a wealth of information on these forums from a very helpful and intelligent group of other fitness minded folks. It's truly a godsend!

Good luck on your fitness journey! Great to have you here!

:) Nicole

Hey there everyone! I'm new to Cathe too, but I'm so afraid of her complex moves in Imax3, that I wonder if I'm not "Dance-y" enough for her cardio step workouts. I'm not new to step, but while I'm getting bored w/ my Firm DVDs ---> they are seeming too easy, I'm finding myself apprehensive to pop in my IMAX3. The intensity is not what killing me (though it's hard) it's just that Cathe doesn't teach the routine in parts. She does the whole thing without building on each move. I'm struggling to get used to this.

Any words of wisdom?? Maybe I need to get her Basic Step...

Hi, ChickFluff! If intensity is not what's "killing" you but more complex choreography is, I'd like to suggest getting Interval Max, the mother of I-Max 2 and I-max 3. The choreo in the original I-Max (sold as an individual workout on video; sold as a 3- workout DVD along with Rhythmic Step and Maximum Intensity Cardio {MIC}). Highly intense cardio (not to mention leg-power-building) and simple choreography.

Let's put it this way: if I can master I-max's choreography, anyone can. Rhythmic Step is very complex choreo, and MIC is a combination floor hi/lo cardio and step routine; the choreo in each of those segments is very learnable too.

A-Jock

Hey there !
I was new to Ctahe also, and afraid of the complex moves, I know if it was too difficult, I would not want to do it and get fristrated. I got her basis step/body fusion and beginner high step circuit. Love them and easy to follow and I have two left feet. Hope this helps.
Marsha

Hi, Gayla!

I just wanted to say welcome from another new Cathe groupie! These are definitely workouts like no other - very fun but hard and so satisfying! It's great to have a video that you can't quite finish because like you said, you have a goal to work towards!

Take care,
Angie

Welcome! I'm just going to add my $.02 to everyone else's comments on doing the step routines. Anytime we learn something new you must keep in mind we all have a learning curve. Some will pick up the step moves faster than other's. But with anything in life, the more you practice it the better you will become and so it is with the Cathe step workouts. Each time you do a workout you will be able to follow it better and thus learn it.

I had not done any stepping before I started buying Cathe workouts so I know where you're coming from too. What has worked for me is to keep doing a new workout until I get all the choreo down pat before I move on to another new step workout. When you lose your place during a workout just keep moving in some fashion, marching, grape vine, basic step, whatever...and watch what the crew is doing on the tape and when you can, jump back into the workout.

So, don't try to learn two or three new Cathe step workouts at the same time as you'll probably only confuse yourself more. It's easier to learn something if you can anticipate what's going to come next. And of course having a DVD player with slow motion is a big advantage too!:7

Thanks for all of the advice and support. I am glad to know that I am not the only one that is running all over the place trying to get it. I agree you must keep practicing, and this is what I will do. The step video is coming up tomorrow night so I will give it another go. I am doing pyramid upper body tonight so I am sure I will be trying to lift my arms tomorrow. It is amazing because as much pain as I know i am going to be in, I can't wait to do the next workout. I'll keep you all up to date on my latest attempts at the stepping workout. Get ready to laugh tomorrow night...
Gayla

I also started doing Cathe's workouts after I got bored with many typical workouts videos (Kathy Smith, Karen Voight ect).

About the chorography once you get one video the others will come much easier. I also had trouble with the more complex moves at first. I thought I would never get some of them. Although most people will stumble around a bit when they get a new video once you learn one the rest become a lot easier. One day it clicks and when she says "figure eight" or whatever you know what to do.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.