New Runners November 2009

Jane - that is a great idea - I never thought to run around the downtown area - DUH! Especially with the Christmas lights.

I've been running during lunchtime when I work from home and I run on the weekends so I can get out before dark.

Tonight I'm running on a track inside after Kung Fu because it's more convenient. Come Dec/Jan it will get really hard to go outside I'm betting. I'm looking into a local health club that has an indoor track that is flat and about 8 laps to the mile, not too bad. I will probably need some option for long runs if the weather gets too snowy/icy.

Hi Jane!

I keep telling myself I'm going to run on Saturday and Sunday, but haven't gotten to it yet. Last weekend, it rained on Saturday and the weekend before, we had plans with friends, so that was that! Hopefully this weekend!

Hi Cindi!

I know what you mean! January and February are too cold here for running! Those 2 months we usually dip to single digit temps for at least a week or two! Brrrrr! It's hard just to walk from the front door to the car in that weather! Last winter, we had so much snow, there was no running or you'd break your neck on the ice!

Jane - that is a great idea - I never thought to run around the downtown area - DUH! Especially with the Christmas lights.

I've been running during lunchtime when I work from home and I run on the weekends so I can get out before dark.

Tonight I'm running on a track inside after Kung Fu because it's more convenient. Come Dec/Jan it will get really hard to go outside I'm betting. I'm looking into a local health club that has an indoor track that is flat and about 8 laps to the mile, not too bad. I will probably need some option for long runs if the weather gets too snowy/icy.

Hi Everyone!

Well my run was truly beautiful last night. The weather was warm, the lights twinkling, the smell of baking in the air and then BAM..I was on my hands and knees. I tripped and ended up scraping both knees and spraining my ankle :confused:. I fell in front of a restaurant and there were people outside that were very sweet and wanted to help. While my sister ran for the car, they had the wait staff get me ice and napkins. Ummmm a glass of wine or a shot of whiskey would have been nice too!!:):)

Anyway I'm sitting at work with my leg up and ice on my ankle. I can walk ok and there is no bruising it's just swollen in front of the bone and a little underneath it on the outside of the ankle. So...my race for Saturday is off and I probably won't workout tonight but maybe upper body or abs on Thursday. We'll see!

OH NO! Jane I'm so sorry you fell. I hope you heal fast. Keep the feet up and the ice on.

Kung Fu last nigh and then a 45 minute run working on Chi Form (Foot/leg alignment and creating a column from shoulders, hips, knees). I wore my five fingers for 30 minutes without socks - no blister this time. :)

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning ladies,
This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt. I am supposed to run with a friend this afternoon but the cold, rainy weather might prevent that. If so, I'll try to make it onto the treadmill for a CC workout.

Jane ~ So sorry to hear about your crash. Hope your body (and pride :)) are intact and you heal quickly.

Tricia ~ Hope you can figure out a new running schedule that works for you. I have such a hard time when my routine is disrupted. I'm not looking forward to January and February here either. The dogs spend a lot of time giving me pitiful faces as I walk or run on the treatmill in the winter.

Cindi ~ Sounds like you had a great workout.

Hi to everyone else. I hope everyone is having a great day. I have 50 high school students to prepare for so off I go.

Lisa

nothing so far

Jane- That reminds me to get my transimission fluid and oil changed.

Cindi- I’m thinking about getting some cold weather clothes. I’m a wimp. If its in the 30s its just too cold without something extra. Otherwise I don’t feel it and keep going past the point where I should stop. Good luck with your first marathon, its so exciting!

Sugarbear- You can use your top speed for speed interval training but I don’t think you are at that point yet. There is no shame in 12 minute miles, as a matter of fact its been my personal goal (can’t test it, I have no track.)

Lisa- I think the wind adds extra intensity.

Jane- Christmas lights already? Oh my its time to put mine up. I save my longer runs for Sunday. I hope your ankle/knees are feeling better.

Tricia- I will always be running outdoors. I don’t have one of those new fangled treadmill thingymajigs:D. You must have super strong thighs to do STS one day and LM the next.

I intended to workout this morning but my day in the kitchen was going to be intense so I just dove in, no workout. I will do something tomorrow. Probably a step workout. I made an cranberry apple pie, a chocolate torte, and ginger snaps. All from scratch. These things take time for frequent visits to the fridge to chill. Pastry is a delicate thing. I am so tired. Its silly. I have a Harry Potter club mtg. tonight at Ettore's which is a fancy restaurant/cafe place. I will get the fish with extra veggies, it ain't cheap but its cheaper than a bypass or diabetes. I had chicken for lunch, with a teensy bit of dark chocolate ice cream and a gluten free chocolate chip cookie. I had to have something to avoid all those gluten laden ginger snaps.

Jane - Ouch! Sorry you got hurt! I guess it could have been worse! Get better really soon!

Cindi - Congrats on doing so much better in your Five Finger shoes without blisters! Yea!!!!

Lisa - Hope you are able to get a run in today!

Alisha - You are making me drool! Feel free to ship some of those yummies over here! Personally, I think working in the kitchen IS a workout! LM after STS is great since it fell right between Chest, Biceps & Shoulders on Monday and Back and Triceps on Wednesday! Tomorrow is CK, then legs on Friday!

I'm having problems with my wrists right now though and couldn't do all of the yoga-based abs that were on my plate for Monday. I see the doctor tomorrow. I know it's not anything I've done working out. They have been hurting for a while off and on. They are just hindering my pushups! Everything else is fine. No pain when I lift or type, just when there's force against them at an angle. I hope it's nothing serious! Maybe just some arthritis and I can take pain medicine for? I'd rather have that!

Hope for the best!

Going to go update my workout card for tonight!

Take care and stay warm!

Alisha - I LOVE spending the day in the kitchen. I've taken pastry arts classes at the community college and was 1 class shy of a pastry arts certificate (work/family got in the way). I love gingersnaps and am so looking forward to December when I'll be baking up a storm!!!

Tricia - I hope your wrists are ok. My mom started getting signs of arthritis in her 40's so I expect I'll start to feel it in my joints soon too - I'm almost 44 (next month!). Glucosamin-Chondroiten and lots of Omega 3 supplements seem to help my knees and joints best.

Lisa - I don't like to run in cold rain either. I can do cold or I can do rain but not at the same time. :) I've been pretty successful with wind running lately by heading out straight into the the wind and then having it at my back on the way home. OR running in a cross wind if you have a route that allows for that. If I have to run into the wind coming back, it's tough.

I took Jane's advice and went running downtown last night. We live about 1 mile from our downtown and a loop around the main streets is almost exactly 1 mile. So I parked at the library and did 4 loops around, got some coffee and headed home. It was perfect! Lots of good lighting and even pavement. Busy enough that I felt safe but not so busy that I felt like I was in the way. It seems so obvious now - I'm definitely going to be doing that more often. THANKS JANE!! Hope you feel better. :)

Busy day for me today - I'll do a Cardio+weight type workout tonight. Work is going to be busy and I have to run my daughter's cello in for a repair. Cello's are expensive!

have a great day.

I didn't run last night. It was just too gross outside. Today is pretty though and Jennifer and I are going to run outside. Unfortunately it won't be until after dark but we'll run around the park. I also didn't workout this morning. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and do Providence again with the 15# bell.

Alisha ~ Your baking sounds fabulous. I love baking too. Then I have to give it away so I don't eat it all. Luckily its the dough that I usually find irresistable and once its baked I'm not so obsessed with it.

Jane ~ How are you feeling today? I hope not too stiff. I need to get my oil changed but can't seem to find the time. I must do it before I head out for Thanksgiving next week.

Cindi ~ I would love to take some pastry classes at some point. I may have the opportunity to lead a community education class to Belize this spring where we will study Caribbean cuisine and have cooking classes. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I can generate enough interest to make the class work.

Tricia ~ I hope you figure out what is going on with your wrists. I struggle with some tendinitis and bursitis and it can be frustrating. I hope you can figure out what it is and how to manage it well. I was taking Osteobiflex Triple Action for a while and it really seemed to help. I need to get back to it but it is kind of pricey.

Sugarbear ~ I have to ask if you've found Cardio Coach yet? I absolutely love it. If you haven't, check out www.cardiocoach.com . They are downloads that you can put on your ipod and I find that they take the "thinking" out of intervals for me. You can skip a challenge if you want to make the workout shorter or easier and repeat a challenge if you need more work.

Hi to everyone else and I hope everyone is having a great day.
Lisa

Maybe just some arthritis and I can take pain medicine for? I'd rather have that!![/QUOTE]

For arthritis, take 3 ginger capsules 3x a day with a meal. The standardized works just fine. Its helped my Dad a lot. If its a stress fracture, then no yoga or pushups for a while, but don't worry they heal!

Cindi- I hear you, I had to get two bows rehaired, replaced my violin case, and had my fiddle cleaned it was about 300 dollars for the repairs. It was a case of bugs.

Hi Lisa

I did not workout yesterday at all. I am setup for CW later after work. I have to go to that party today and then go to work in the afternoon. I'm going to the sports authority to get some cold weather tights, I'm such a wimp, it was only in the 30s and I said no thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I am doing much better today. The swelling has gone done on my ankle and it doesn't hurt either. I actually had to drop off my rental car and pick up my repaired car and I walked the 2 blocks to the repair shop and I felt fine. My skinned knee hurts more.

Cindi ~ I'm glad you liked running downtown. Once I get back to it, I'm going run there again. It was very well lit and lots of people around. I will be extra careful not to trip again. LOL!! I was actually trying to avoid a couple of tables that are on the sidewalk in front of restaurants. I guess I moved over too much and tripped on something else.

No workout for me today but maybe tomorrow I'll feel like doing an upper body workout.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Hey ladies,
We had a good run. Did about 3-3.5 miles of steady state. I think I'm going to do kettlebells in the morning.

Good night everyone!
Lisa

Hi everyone. Didn't get in a workout yesterday. Today I will do a short run and some strength training.

Cello costs weren't as bad as I thought they would be. New strings and the bow is still there getting re-haired. We have a loaner for now and we're going back in about a month to move Honor up to the 3/4 size. She's currently using a 1/2 size. I had no idea how much more the new size would cost - thankfully he gives the full cost back on the trade in if you bought it from his shop. So I only have to pay the difference which will be around $500-$1000 depending on what she chooses. Like I said - celllo's are expensive, so it could have been a lot worse!

Anyway - We are heading out of town this weekend. I'm planning to still get my runs in but I won't be checking in next week. I'll have limited internet access.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'll be back Nov 30. :)

Hi everyone,
I did Providence this morning and felt good. I'm supposed to go for a run or walk this afternoon but I'm not sure how its going to pan out. I had to take Pip Squeak to the vet this morning. She hurt her back playing with Buster yesterday and has to take things easy for a couple of weeks. I always hate leaving just one dog behind so I might do a cardio coach or road run and take them for just a short mellow walk. I hope everyone is having a great day.
Lisa

Hi Everyone!

I'm so not getting any runs in! We went to see "12 Angry Jurors" at the Stadium Theatre in Woonsocket tonight, so I missed STS legs and have to do a make up tomorrow! Maybe, I'll get in a short run too! It'll have to be short as I don't think I could do more than a mile right now!

Doc thinks it's tendonitis, but that's a repetitive injury and I haven't been doing anything repetitive except typing and scanning documents all day, every day! I wonder if that is finally catching up to me. Anyway, it's no pushups for a couple of weeks, ice/heat, and wraps. I'm not going to stop lifting as that doesn't bother anything. My wrists are fine as long as they are straight. The right one is worse than the left, which is weird as I am left-handed!

Anyway, I'm exhausted as I was out late last night with a friend (11 pm)! Yes, that's late for this "old lady!" LOL! So it's off to bed for me!

Have a great Friday night and weekend!

Ok, I'm totally bummed! :( I'm one of those people who rarely EVER gets sick! I woke up with a minor sore throat yesterday, but blew it off as I was out on Thursday night and thought it was due to yelling all night over the band to talk. Well, had a screaming headache right before bed that hurt in the back of my skull, then woke up this morning with a worse sore throat and a cough! It's my sinuses! AND, to boot, I can't breathe completely well.

Guess I'm on the shelf for a few days until I can get rid of this! :(:( Works out well I supposed as my doctor didn't want me to do anything with my wrists (weights and pushups) for a couple of weeks. I HATE this! I've been at this for 9 months and have never had to miss a workout due to being sick!

How do I deal with this? It's driving me crazy! I want my STS! Waaaahhhhh!

Okay, that makes me feel a little better just getting that off my chest (so to speak)!

Hi Everyone,

My ankle is still swollen but it's getting better. I'm spending the weekend hanging out on the couch because I want it healed by Thanksgiving. I'm doing a Muph Crossfit Challenge with the gals on the kettlebell challenge and some people on Collage. Murphy is a 1 mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats and a 1 mile run. Yikes! I have attempted it once at a boot camp I attended and never finished it. I want to finish it now.

I did manage to do a short kettlebell workout today. I just did abs and upper body work.

Tricia ~ Sorry to hear that you are sick and that you have tendonitis. It's better it have them both at once instead of having one and then the other. I totally understand how you feel. I have been working out constantly all year and have not had an injury and now this. I missed my race this morning and I felt so sad. :( Still, I'm glad it's just a sprained ankle. It could have been worse. You know what, I feel more motivated now to get back out and hit it hard once I'm healed. So enjoy the down time and when you get back your motivation will be through the roof.

Waving hello to the rest of the gang!!

Thanks Jane!

Glad your ankle is getting better, but I'm sorry you missed your run! :(

That Crossfit Challenge sounds really tough! You can do it though!

It's so hard to take my own advice! :eek: I know I need to just rest and get better, but I really wanted to try and get that leg w/o in! Although it's uncomfortable, I guess it was a good thing my asthma was acting up just a bit! Kept me from trying to push myself! Oh well, the Thanksgiving holiday is upon us anyway, so, what better time to take a "rest week?"

Helloes to everyone else!

Hi everyone!

Jane and Tricia ~ Hope you both get to feeling better soon! I have some tendonitis in the my wrist and elbow that are related to typing and computer use. Not fun. Hope you can get it under control Tricia.

I did Legs and Glutes on FitTV this morning. I really like that workout. I think I am going to add it to my Christmas wishlist on Amazon. I also split firewood.

I ran three miles yesterday (steady state) and did yoga. Tuesday I head out of town for Thanksgiving - heading to Hatteras and my boys! Woo hoo!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.