Need Opinion from Fitnessfreak

jansherman

Cathlete
I've just been reading your posts, and was impressed with the advice you give. I would appreciate your opinion on my current situation.

I'm 5'7", supposedly an ecto-endomorph, 47 years old. For the past 2 years I have weighed around 105-107. I know - too low for my height, but I eat very well (99% clean, no starving myself...) and my body has just naturally hung at that weight. I work out 6-7 days per week, combination of lifting (moderat to heavy), cardio (mostly interval except for occasional longer runs), and kettlebells.

Literally, overnight I gained 5 lbs. I weighed on a Monday and was 105. Tuesday morning I was 110. The only change to my workout program was that I had been upping the weight on my kettlebell workouts and doing more interval-type cardio rather than running. It has been about 9 weeks, and no matter what I try, I cannot get rid of that 5 lbs. If I was sure it was muscle I would be ok with it, however, I doubt I gained that much muscle overnight. I normally eat around 1200-1400 calories per day. Lean protein and complex carbs every 3 hours, about 5-6 meals per day.

I realize 110 lbs. is not bad, but I wish I knew where the extra 5 came from. Any suggestions about diet, workouts, etc.? I'd like to get rid of it, or at least not gain any more. But since I don't know what caused this gain, I'm a little worried...

Hmmmm, I don't mean to be rude here, but you are 5'7 and weight 105 and you're worried about gaining 5#'s? :eek: I don't see a problem here. LOL!

A reason for the scale to go up that much in one day could be water weight. Did you eat something out of the ordinary the night before? Something with a alot of salt in it? Did you weigh yourself on a different scale?

Have you weighed yourself since? Is that 5# gain still there?

I'm not worried about weighing 110 lbs. What had me worried is the sudden 5 lb. gain. I weighed myself on the same scale, same time of day, naked...And yes, the weight is still there. Like I said, if I knew it was muscle, I'd be thrilled. But, even though I don't weigh a lot for my height, gaining 5 lbs. overnight without an explanation does have me a bit worried.

I'm not worried about weighing 110 lbs. What had me worried is the sudden 5 lb. gain. I weighed myself on the same scale, same time of day, naked...And yes, the weight is still there. Like I said, if I knew it was muscle, I'd be thrilled. But, even though I don't weigh a lot for my height, gaining 5 lbs. overnight without an explanation does have me a bit worried.

How old are you? And not to be too personal, but is it ttom for you?

I'm 47, and it's not TTOM. In fact, it hasn't been TTOM for about 3 mos.

Well then, that could be the culprit. If you are starting early menopause, which is sounds like you might be, this can cause weight gain. Definitely.

Watch your salt intake and drink plenty of water.

That's the first thing I thought of too, but at my gyno appt. last month they checked my hormone levels, and no menopause yet. I've always been irregular, and have gone a few months without, but haven't experienced anything other than the 2-3 lb. gain that goes away after a few days.

Not fitness freak here, but have you recalibrated your scale and/or changed batteries? With elecronics particularly, both can make a difference ... My old analog went haywire once when I bumped it and started reading a few pounds differently even when placed in the same place on the floor. Recalibrating it helped (mine had a dial on the base for that).

In my body, though, the extra five pounds would be from better hydration in my muscles. I normally have a 1-3 pound fluctuation upward when I change intensity upward in a weights program, and don't worry about it unless inches are also changing.

Hmmm, I didn't think about the scale being off. It's actually been quite awhile since I've recalibrated it, or changed the battery. And, everyone in my family uses it (my husband even weighs the dog on it). Thanks for the suggestion - I'm going to work on the scale tonight and see what it gives me for numbers going forward.

You just put say a 20lb plate on the scale and make sure it reads 20lbs...if not you adjust it...usually you can't do that with the electronic scales...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.