Need Laptop, what would you buy and why?

JT

Cathlete
Personally, I would like to stay under $800 for the unit, the bag, and whatever else I need to use it for school with internet access and MICROSOFT office, I already own the discs.
To be used in my car, coffee shops, and lunchroom with no plugs.

Considered HSN and a University Marketplace.

PLEASE Help!! Thanks.

Any Dell or Toshiba in that price range would be more than suitable. I cannot advise on Mac's as I haven't used one in 20 years. As I do a lot of graphics as well as run some very large mrp systems, I decided on a gaming computer (alienware now produced by Dell), it is large and heavy and I wouldn't advise it if you have to move around from class to class, it is super fast and reliable and it has a full keyboard with num pad)

I would never buy another Acer, Fujitsu or HP again. I find them unreliable, operating software often runs slow on them and customer service is most unhelpful. Acer and Fujitsu have issues with display and keyboards. HP has lots of issues with motherboards.

If you are taking notes for school, have you thought of a tablet? My oldest son goes to university and many of the students take notes on the tablet (engineering so lots of sketches).

I use Microsoft One Note for many of the projects I do at work, it was originally designed for students.

You can get a great laptop for less than $800. I'm typing on my new Lenovo Ideapad Y550 that cost me $500. I love this thing. It's super powerful and has pretty much everything you could want. I had to do a lot of shopping around to find such a good price, but it was worth it. :)

My purchase was a Toshiba from Walmart price pointed at $498 with a Tangus bag for $20. To get hooked up to the net, I bought the laptop with me and the store personnel were even impressed with it. Still learning many new things with it but I feel I have freedom with it too. I have heard bad things about HP but not Acer. I declined to buy that brand because I don't too much about them like Apex.
Thanks for your help.

That was an excellent deal Jen. I've heard great things about Toshiba laptops. Mine is a Dell. Enjoy your new laptop :)

I just wanted to pop in and say that I will never ever buy a Dell laptop for personal use. I use them at work and I'm on my 5th laptop in 2 years. They are not well made. I've used Sony, Toshibas, and IBM's with no issues, but these Dell's have major challenges.

Sounds like you got a good deal.

Honestly, if I were buying again, I'd buy a MAC. No if ands or buts. You'll pay a little more but not only will they last, buy Apple will service them. My uncle has a 4 year old MAC that he had to take in for service. If he takes it in again for the same problem, they will replace it with a brand new one. You won't get that with a PC - any brand.

I used to have a Dell and the LCD screen went out in 8 months. My Dad bought a Sony laptop less than 6 months ago and there have been "faults" with the casing that allows it to open and close. However, he loves the speed and productivity of his Sony. Personally, I like Apple and have used them for many many years. I haven't had any problems with mine and I use Office (for Macs) on it.

My good friend has a Toshiba and has had no problems with it for 6 months now....

I think you have to look at the different components within the computer (processor, graphics card, etc.) and also assess the company. There are good computers out there made by Sony and Toshiba (as well as other brands). A great company can make a lemon or a cheap laptop. Alternatively, a "crappy" company can make a great computer....

Happy shopping!

I have had two Dells and both were junk. Customer service was awful and I could not understand what they were saying. I bought a Mac and love it. I know they are pricey but sooooo worth the money.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.