Need ideas/advice for workout room (flooring, etc.)

stephl

Cathlete
Hi all,

Long time no 'see'! We're finally moved back to the USA, settled into our new home, unpacked (almost - still a few boxes in the garage,) and ready to start building our workout room. I've been reading lots of threads w/ advice on flooring, etc., but I wanted to start a fresh thread to get some more ideas and advice in one place. :)

The workout room will be in our garage. We're going to insulate and finish a 13' x 14' space (interior dimensions.) We want to have a treadmill, weight bench and small rack, aerobics area, and space to store weights, stability balls, etc. I'm thinking the aerobics area needs to be 6' x 8', or maybe 8' x 8'. The rest of the stuff can go around the edges. Possibly mirrors on one or two walls, TV & media equipment mounted along another wall so it can be seen from the aerobic area and while using the treadmill.

I am having trouble deciding what kind of flooring to install. The garage floor is cement. I've read that stall mats (like the kind used for horses) are good, as well as puzzle mats. I'd like to pick a flooring that can cover the entire area. Would the stall mats be heavy-duty enough to go under the cardio and weight equipment, but still be resiliant enough for the aerobics area? What about puzzle mats? We have about $1000 to finish the room (not including treadmill) so I can't choose anything too expensive.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks! I can't wait for this project to be done so I can get back to my Cathe workouts - I miss her!

If you decide to go with puzzle mats, I can tell you the absolute CHEAPEST price out there is at Costco. In Portland, Oregon I paid $8.26 for a six-pack of 2' by 2' squares. In Salt Lake City it's $11.99 for an eight-pack of same.

They're in the automotive aisle inside the store.

Also, Costco takes returns if you don't like the product.

Gisela

"She's living in sin with a cowboy, and hell--he can hardly even walk!" --J.R. Ewing, "Dallas"

How resiliant are the puzzle mats? Will we need to put in an underlayer, or can we lay them right on top of the concrete garage floor?

I put them down on my concrete basement floor on top of one of those rubber non-skid pads you put under area rugs...they stay put!

Just chiming in here regarding flooring. I have puzzle mats, 12"x12" covering approximately 8'x8' space and they work great. I have them right over my concrete floor in the basement. I've never had a problem with them slipping or moving at all and they are so easy to clean.

What I like most about them is how easy it is to move around the pieces. For example, I don't particulary care for doing a pivot on them, especially mambo-pivots, so I just figure out where my foot will land and remove that piece. Works great and they were very inexpensive. I got mine online at Dicks Sporting Goods. I think they were 12 pieces per box for $9.99. I ordered 10 boxes to avoid the shipping and I'm glad I have the extra.

I have puzzle mats that cover 12x12 area and only paid $2.00 for them at a yard sale:):):)

Carrie

020706_10006740003.gif

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but5/lb/209/145/176/.png[/image][/link]

http://www.picturetrail.com/uid6743693"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.