Need help getting up earlier without waking DH

gonnabea5

Cathlete
I've been getting up with DH at 5 to get my workouts in, but those workouts are short ones. Any light or alarm that comes on before that wakes him up and I hate hate hate that because he barely sleeps as it is. I used my cell and let it vibrate to wake me, but it woke him up too. Those last few minutes of sleep are precious to him.

Can you all think of any ways to get up without an alarm clock? I few times, I woke up naturally at 4:35 which was great. But, I can't rely on that technique.

My husband & I don't sleep in the same bed because of his snoring. He uses a CPAP machine now, but he still gets up during the night, has to adjust his mask or sometimes take it off. We are both light sleepers and had to make the decision that it was better for us health-wise to not sleep together and therefore we sleep better. Both of us are able to get in comfortable sleeping positions and not worry about waking the other. We have a great marriage and just celebrated our 7th anniversary last November.

I get up around 5:30 and start my workout anywhere from 30-45 minutes later, so I can get a light snack, make coffee for my husband, get the newspaper, and wake-up before jumping into a workout. I am very quiet when I go to the bathroom to put my contacts in. We also use white noise machines so that does help to muffle any noise I might make. I've learned how to shut doors without making hardly any noise.

I use an alarm clock every morning (except weekends), my husband uses one every now and then - if he needs to get up early for a meeting or a golf game. he's self-employed and works mainly at home, so he doesn't have a schedule that he has to stick to. I'm getting ready to start training for my new job and my schedule will change and I'm actually looking forward to it. My training schedule and shift schedule will require me to start later and stay up a bit later, so I'm looking forward to being able to sleep later and workout after breakfast when I'm more alert and awake. I will be working from home, so that's a huge bonus for me as well.

That's just what works for me, good luck to you in your workouts!

Amanda

I have a watch that u can set an alarm. I usually get ready my workout clothes a night before bed so when I woke up in the am I go to the other bathroom to get ready. My husband is also a light sleeper & I hate waking him up in the am.

I have a vibrating watch that works great. One word of caution, it takes a little getting used to. The first time I woke up with it I thought something was on me and nearly fell off the bed trying to get it off. :eek: I wasn't quite awake.

VibraLITE MINI VM-VBL Childrens Vibrating Watch Blue Band Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language Products - Alarm Clocks for Deaf, Products for Hard of Hearing

My son also has one. He has to leave class at a specific time and can't forget. The alarm vibrates and no one knows it's going off but him.

The mini is a good size for both of us. It's actually not that small, a bit smaller than my polar I think.

I use a vibrating alarm clock called Shake Awake that has a round disk that vibrates; the disk is attached to the main alarm clock with a cable. Although they suggest you put the vibrating disk under your pillow, that's way too close to my fellow sleeping husband and it would wake him up for sure. Since the vibrating disk comes with a lengthy cord to the alarm clock itself, it works for me to bury the vibrating disk in a blanket on the floor near my bedside. Not perfect, but it works.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.