tjaded

Cathlete
Hi,
Im in the process of trying to lose weight while toning and
building some nice muscle definition, it's a slow coming for me
however Im keeping at it. What I really would like to try
is a Cathe tape, however Im unsure of which would better suit
me. I do excercise (cardio) on an eliptical machine 3x's a wk,
in addition I've incorporated the firm fanny lifter sculpt series (infomercial) into my routine as well 3x's a wk.
But as I said I really would like to try a cathe dvd since
I've heard so many positive things. Im about 165 lbs @ a
whopping 5ft 3in. Im of medium build as far as bone structure
is concerned and tend to bulk considerably in my legs if I
use heavy weights (been there done that) that's how I know.
I do want nice lean legs however that look nicely toned and
I want to try and achieve well defined arms.
Im thick if that gives you an idea of my physique.
Any and all opinions welcomed.......Please!

Thanks,
Tjaded

Hi Tjaded,(not Cathe)

I can't comment on The Firm tapes because I don't have them and don't use them. How about Power Hour+ dvd it has obviously Power Hour upper and Lower body, Body Max (you could do the warm up and then go onto the legs and upper body work if you didn't fancy the step work (do you have a step?

Or Pure strength slightly more time efficient and a great leg workout in Standing Legs. I would also suggest if you want leaner legs Cathe suggests going heavier it does nice things for you (or you could go light i.e. do a heavy week and alternate with a light weight). Keep watching your legs as they develop to make sure you are getting the look you want and lighten up and increase reps, as well as making sure you do your legs stretches.

Babs

HI Tjaded!
I do use the FIRM (older FIRMS, pre Goodtimes takeover, but I have owned the newer tapes too) as well as Cathe, I think they both compliment each other very well.. however,
what is your level? Are you more beginner, intermediate etc?
The newer FIRMS are not comparable to Cathe's at all...that is just the gosh darn truth! Cathe is (like others have said) definitely the next step up from the FIRM.

I think first building up a good solid exercise routine (keeping up what you are doing) is always a great start, I wouldn't want you to get discouraged from trying to tackle Cathe if you are more beginner ish...

Having said that, if you really feel you personally are ready for Cathe/a challenge, I would not go with a dvd first...just because they are more expensive, and if you don't like it, it is not a huge loss, but if all you have is a dvd player, then you could choose a dvd too...

Sorry I am rambling, I just wanted to tell you more about Cathe bluntly,while the newer FIRMS are fun, I dont' think they compare to hardcore Cathe ...definitely preview her workouts on this site ok????

Hey Tjaded!

I use to post all the time, but sort of got away from the check in's when I began getting into more long distance bicycling.

Anyway: I too, have the new Firms (love 'em)! But am also a die-hard Cathe fan! I started my heavier weight training at home with her and she is the best for it. You 'll have to remember to take it slowly. Don't overdo (which is easy to do in the beginning..)

Anyway, I just dug out my dvd's and will offer what I can:

Pure Strength: I love the Chest, Shoulders & Triceps tape of this series. I use it ALOT in my workout. It just seems to really hit my muscles and make them work for me. I would almost say this is my all time favorite. I am not that big on the back and bicep tape of the series, but that's cuz I don't care for the exercises (and don't like working my back and biceps !!! I'd rather skip them -- but don't of course!). Strong Legs & Abs is a killer 65 minute workout when done all together. I don't do this one too often, cuz my legs bulk too and I find I only need to use it once every few weeks! This dvd is great though and you could start with it and not use weights, having something to grow with.

There's always Power Hour+. That gives you the best of the beginning strength stuff so you can determine whether you really enjoy the style, intensity, etc. You'd probably get the biggest bang for your starting buck with this dvd. Power Hour (also killer -- just did it this week), will leave you with lots of room to grow! But, it is a total body workout. More of high reps. (works better for me then heavy-ness of Pure Strength Legs! YMMV). On this same dvd is Max. Intensity STrength --I began with this one and did it alot till the PS series came out. And then there's Body Max -- long but you can break it down into two workouts. This dvd is a keeper. (wait! didn't I say that about the PS one also???) ... But, with the pick and choose menu, you can really pick and choose whatever you want!

That brings me to Xcross Train Xpress..... If you're not familiar with some of Cathe's Cardio, then this is the one to get, to get a little of EVERYTHING! I also love this one. But NOT for the cardio. I rarely do the cardio on this one. But, I do Leaner Legs and Upper Body Split. Upper Body Split combines all the upper body into one and it's about an hour and I love doing it. Right up there with PS CST.

I would hold off on Slow & Heavy, till you become familiar with weight lifting, Cathe's style, etc.... But, then I'd say go for it.

Oh heck ~~ just buy them all! ;-)

Oh and take advantage of her presale cuz that's the best way to get them. I'm STILL kicking myself for not getting her Ab Hits! But I will when I preorder the latest set. stupid, stupid, stupid!!! :)

Anyway... far more information than you asked for.
What can I say? I talk alot....
Cleda

PS... and for the record.... I am currently way above where I'd like to be weight wise and I still do Cathe's workouts. She's been with me on every weight loss journey I've been on.... and that's been MANY! ;)

PSS... I do not work for or am any way affiliated with Cathe or SNM... I just like the tapes/dvd's! :)

Thanks for the advice.
I ordered the mis/ph &? dvd which will arrive tomorrow.
I am able to do all of the informercial set with relative
ease,now. In other words Im hanging in there. However for
years building nice muscle definition has always been a
dream gold I was never able to attain due to lack of info
& laziness. Im ready now, and Im so willing to work very hard
for it, that's new because prior to this I was never willing
to. Thanks Again.
p.s-I don't have barbells and will be using the weights I
currently own for all exercises and I don't have a step bench
other than the fanny lifter. Seeing that Im not so seasoned
with serious weights im figuring the ones I own will suffice
for the time being. 5,8,10 lb weights.
What's your opinions?

Tjaded

Tjaded

Glad to hear of your purchases and that you are getting started. I think the best thing to do is to start the workouts with what you have and then as you progress you can look at getting more equipment.

That's what I did.

Babs

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.