Need advice--new to running

TeTe

Cathlete
Well, I've finally started to run. Just a couple of times this week, but, hopefully if my running shoes get here today, I'll start the "From Couch Potato to 5K" program this weekend. (I found a very good podcast of it on iTunes that I think will really help me.)

Anyway, here's my question (I'm sure there will be many more once I actually start!): The schedule on the podcast has me doing a walk/run for about 30 minutes, three days a week, with a rest day in between. However, it would work better for me to do two of them on the weekend. Do you runners see anything wrong with doing two days in a row, especially for a beginner?

Thanks!

I am thinking that two days in a row for a beginning runner may be a little much. Although, doing 5K may not be that bad. You would have to watch out for shin splints, overuse injuries, etc. I am not sure about your question.

I would go to www.runnersworld.com and see what they say.

I would say, for someone brand-new to running, try to get a rest day in between each run for at least the first 2-3, maybe 4, weeks and watch carefully to see how your body handles it. And go from there. With time, you'll be able to tell how many back-to-back days of running your body can take, but in the beginning, I'd err on the side of caution. I've learned that a key to avoiding injury with running is to listen very closely to the body. Runner's World is an excellent resource.

Happy trails!
Cathy :)

"I always loved running...You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
-Jesse Owens

Lorie and Cathy,

Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to make myself get up early on a couple of weekdays, I guess. It figures that I would finally set my mind to doing this when we're heading into a heatwave!

Thanks again!

I wouldn't do 2 running days in a row. I am training for marathon #5 right now and if I run 2 days in a row, I can **feel** it...so I avoid it as much as possible! And yes, it means getting up at 5 a.m. some mornings to **beat the heat** and make it back home to the kids so DH can head out to work.

It certainly takes dedictation but I have always found that by staying on the conservative swing with running is better. It is a tough sport and you have to be extremely careful with it...so be conservative! The impact of running is nothing to scoff at. Be cautious! Allow your muscularskelatal system the time it needs to recover and get stronger. Too much too soon and you are back to coach potato...like it or not!

I am thrilled that your training plan has walk runs and 30 minutes (and 3 days a week). That is an excellent program!!!

Congratulations on your new sport and I hope you love it as much as I do! (did I answer your question anywhere in there??;) )

As a beginner runner, your body needs the full day of rest in between workouts. It's not just a question of your heart getting used to the new exercise program, your muscles, tendons, joints all need to get used to it also, and they need the rest day for full recovery. Running is very hard impact, especially running along roads and sidewalks. Starting off slow and arch-conservative pays off in the case of a running program. An injury is easy to get and will sideline you for a while. Full rest days in between workouts will help you to avoid that and help you maintain enthusiasm for your new activity.

Clare

Hi,

I run alot too - and have for years, but I'm in no way shape or form an expert. I have heard mixed info about consecutive days of running - Runner'sWorld mag will say run some every day, while other sources say you need recovery time...I think it may be a personal thing for each individual.

Just a few additional things I'd like to offer is to make sure you're wearing the right shoes (you'll avoid injuries which can sideline you - speaking from experience here, ;( ) number two - stretch stretch strech...and the last thing is, I have found that ice is usually the greatest cure for aches and pains in the feet and ankle areas - should you encounter them. Ice helped cure my plantar trouble more than even cortisone injections did.

Good luck! Running is so rewarding - you'll be hooked soon.

:7

I second Reese that the correct shoes are probably the most important thing. Go to a good running shoe store (here we have Phidippides (owned by Jeff Galloway) and Fleet Feet). They will put you in different shoes and watch you run to see which shoes are best. They can determine whether you need stability, pronation support, etc. It is sooooo invaluable and makes such a difference!!!

TeTe,

Eventually, you *can* do two days (or more) in a row, but in the beginning, it's best to follow the program as is. And again, listen closely to the body.

I used to run five days in a row because that is what worked best for my work schedule at the time and my body could handle it, but of course, I built up to that slowly. Now that I'm in my 30s, I usually will not run more than 3 days in a row.

Agreed with the excellent advice given by everyone here. The shoes and stretching are key to happy feet & legs!

"I always loved running...You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
-Jesse Owens

Hello all!

I am farely new to running also. I have been doing it for about a month now, and I immediately started with excellent running sneakers. You can go to Dick's Sporting Goods. They do a foot test to see if you have a flat foot or a high arch. I have a high arch, so I purchased Ryka supporting sneakers. I love them.

I run 3-4 days a week, for about 3-4 miles. I run on grass at the local park, and I also run on a local track. I switch it up. I never do street running as of yet. I am trying to get stronger and prevent injury. On my days off from running I do Cathe step workouts. Some days I take off all together to recover.

Listen to your body. Rest when you need it. Do not overdo it is what I can say!

I also love Runner's World website! Very helpful and informative!

Good luck all!

"Life is short so be the best you can be every day of your life!" :)

"Running feels great for my soul!" :)

:) CHEETAH :)

I strongly recommend Fleet Feet or a store that is specifically a running specialty store when you go to buy your running shoes. You'll receive individualized attention from knowledgable fellow runners.

Edited to fix my typos!

-Jesse Owens

Thank all of you for your wonderful responses! Although I've already ordered a pair of running shoes, I plan to go to a specialty store to get some professional advice---my feet are weird, andI have yet to even get a pair of workout shoes that work for me.

And, I get it--no running two days in a row!

Again, I appreciate all the input; I knew that I'd get the information I needed from the wonderful people on this forum. You are the best !:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.