Need a little advice Cathe

Annabelle2

Cathlete
Been a Cathelete since CTX series - avid workout girl. I have hade a couple of years of injury and health issues and I am now ready to get back in shape. I have all your stuff plus live and on demand - I just do not know where to start - I could use a little input. I have some arthritis issues (activity can take care of them per physical therapist), I am heavier than I have ever been but I have the want to and motivation - can you give me about a 3 month start up program? I think I probably need to do circuits for a while but I work so well with a plan........ I have so many choices I just cannot make a decision

Hi Annabelle:

just want to welcome you back and wish you well.

When I start back after a break, I start by walking, a lot (!), then I add in some step workouts of choice, walk/run intervals if I am planning to make running my major cardio focus, then I add weight training back in, and once I feel I have established a baseline of fitness, then I get more daring and challenge myself with consistent running, interval workouts, HiiT, and plyo work.

Take the time to ease into your comeback with workouts you enjoy, and that are not too hard to begin with. Remember, if you start off with too much too soon or with workouts that overtax the muscles initially, you then have to take 3 or 4 days off recover from the massive DOMS (muscle soreness) that ensues from using muscles that have not been taxed for a while. A gradual ease-in will build confidence rather than tear it down and lead to frustration. Also, a couple of weeks spent purely with workouts that bring you joy will help you re-cement exercise as a weekly habit and pleasurable activity: habits take 3 months to build, based on a continuously renewed commitment. If you love what you do, you are more likely to stick with it.

You and I are older than we were when CTX first came out, so while it may have taken 2 weeks to get back into shape after a break when we were in our thirties, it will take slightly longer now, so be patient with yourself and with your body. Your muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and cardiovascular system all have adjustments to make as you place more demands upon them, and they are less flexible than they were and need more time to recover. So, rather than leap back into a 6 days workouts per week schedule, I suggest starting back with 3 or 4 days for a while, following each workout with ample stretching time. Stretching is dull, make no bones about it, but we need it now more than ever and it is a tool for injury prevention that will also help add a spring to your step.

Whatever workouts you choose Annabelle, enjoy them and have fun. Welcome back!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.